Are PS5 save games still region looked?

bendermac

22 minutes ago, NewDust said:

Yes, still locked.

For a quick and dirty check to see if saves are compatible you can check the webstore and the PPSA code in the URL must be the same as your current PS5 game.

Hmm... I checked a game I've as EU version and might switch to NA

Assassin's Creed Valhalla

German link -> https://store.playstation.com/en-us/concept/10000237/

US link -> https://store.playstation.com/en-us/concept/10000237/

Is this what you mean? The numbers are the same.

58 minutes ago, NewDust said:

Now, AC: Valhalla can prove to be an exception, due to the in-game Uplay save functionality. Maybe it can circumvent the region lock à la Soundshapes? I can't find any information if someone has tested this.

Some games are region free for cross-save but most aren't so someone would have to test this specific game and see what happens.

On 8/12/2021 at 4:44 PM, HuntingFever said:

Some games are region free for cross-save but most aren't so someone would have to test this specific game and see what happens.

If the save is stored on a server and all versions connect to the same server then it will almost always be cross.

Singleplayer will be on a case by case basis and more often than not will be locked.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Experiencing this right now with OlliOlli world. Had a NA copy from a competition i won but I'm based in the EU and couldn't buy the season pass. I now own the EU version of the game and was hoping to keep my progress. But the games forcing me to start from scratch. There's definitely no fix? 

Edited by borntodave

8 hours ago, borntodave said:

Experiencing this right now with OlliOlli world. Had a NA copy from a competition i won but I'm based in the EU and couldn't buy the season pass. I now own the EU version of the game and was hoping to keep my progress. But the games forcing me to start from scratch. There's definitely no fix? 

Nope, your only option is to start over from scratch, because saves are nearly always region locked :(.

3 minutes ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

I've heard there's computer programs that can change regions of saves but that's probably in the "cheat" category since you're screwing with saves but I'm fairly sure it's still next to impossible on a ps5 cause you can't copy your saves to anything but the psn cloud

That comes under the heading of subjects you don't talk about, because it violates site rules.

• 4 months later...

I was experimenting with this a bit. Couple years ago I played Watchdogs Legion EU PS4 trial version on my PS5 about 13 hours. Recently I bought the US-version (PS4/PS5) with an US-account and started the game with my EU-account. Good news is that I could continue the game PS4-version where I left off even without downloading the save from the cloud, so the save file on this game was not region locked. Also same with the PS5-version, I could continue my save but had to manually download it from the in-game cloud. Bad news is that no trophies I had unlocked in the trial version popped at all. Maybe it's because the trial version is not the same region, or because the trial version trophies just doesn't unlock anyways, I don't know. I have a vague memory they promised that trophies should unlock after buying the full game but not sure.