Kill Your Completion 17

KYC 17 (Starts 1st of November 2021 and ends 30th of November 2021)

Welcome back for another exciting edition of the Kill Your Completion series.

The Premise
Participants will each choose a list of at least 5, and up to 10 0% games (or any number in.between) from their backlog and post them here so everyone can follow along. These games don't have to be pre loaded on your profile, as long as you own them already and haven't earned a trophy they count. Participants will start a new game from that list every few days for the next month. They WILL then post their thoughts on each game, and write a short review on the final day for each game. This can take any shape or form each person desires.

The starting time is whenever the 1st of November begins for you.

The Deeds

Spoiler

Requirements to Join
Psnprofiles member for 1 month (or premium member)
Backlog of at least 5 un-started games
Desire to be part of something fun. 
A complete and utter dis-regard for your completion rate (for the next month)

How to Join
Say you want in :highfive:
Post your list of the games YOU ALREADY OWN that you haven't started.
Post your completion percent for S&G.

Game Selection Suggestions
These are just suggestions, this will have no bearing on you being added to the event. These are just things that I think make for a more interesting selection of games overall.
- Variety is The Spice...: Try to avoid having more than 1 or 2 of the same type of game on there.
- Try Something New or Different - A list filled with AAA games/remasters that you've already played, from only two different series, is boring.
- Don't choose all games that all have average completion times under 10 hours: You're not fooling anybody. Sneaky participant is not sneaky.

TL;DR

Spoiler
  • final day of sign ups will be the 1st of November (2021)
  • the event begins whenever the 1st of November begins in your timezone
  • pick 5 - 10 games that are at 0% and play them during the respective amount of days (examples: 5 games/6days each ; 10 games/3 days each).
  • Games have to be a 0%, no exceptions.
  • don't pick only short and easy games, that's not the point of this even.
  • post your list of games
  • do yourself a favour and install/preload your games on the system. Less time wasted for patches to download, etc
  • each game should be played for at least 3 hours total, throughout the X number of days allocated to them (equal number of days for each game)
  • write a review/impression/thoughts on the game you played, before moving on to the next one (final review is mandatory, regular updates are optional)
  • If you don't want to miss the start of the event, follow the thread

Participants

Spoiler

ArcticCress

Spoiler

Akiba's Trip: Hellbound & Debriefed

Lost Judgment

Blue Reflection: Second Light

NEO: The World Ends With You

Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- The Prophecy of the Throne

AuroraHistoire

Spoiler

Death Mark

White Day: A Labyrinth Named School

Lone Survivor

Sense: A Cyberpunk Ghost Story

Ghostrunner

Undead Darlings: No Cure for Love

Untitled Goose Game

Super Blood Hockey

Lodbizarro

Spoiler

-Tales of Arise

-Deathloop

-Resident Evil Village 

-The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles

-Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart 

MAUSZX

Spoiler

November 1-6 STATE OF MIND

November 7-12 Leisure Suit Larry - Wet Dreams Don't Dry

November 13-18 COD MW remastered

November 19-24  Grim Fandango

November 25-30 Soul Axiom

PerryToxteth

Spoiler
  1. Nov. 1-5  Truberbrook
  2. Nov. 6-10 The Crew 2 
  3. Nov. 11-15. Glass Masquerade Origins
  4. Nov. 16-20  The Journey Down: Chapter One
  5. Nov. 21-25. Pine
  6. Nov. 26-30. The Council

voodoo_eyes

Spoiler

1-5 Homefront: The Revolution

6-10 The Crew 2

11-15 Styx: Master of Shadows

16-20 The Division 2

21-25 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

26-30 Life is Strange True Colors

willythom88

Spoiler

Lego City Undercover

Rive

Romancing Saga 3

Ninjin Clash Of Carrots

Assassin's Creed Valhalla

Edited by voodoo_eyes
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, voodoo_eyes said:

KYC 17 (Starts 1st of November 2021 and ends 30th of November 2021)

The starting time is whenever the 1st of March begins for you.

Hide contents
  •  
  • the event begins whenever the 1st of July begins in your timezone

Participants

Reveal hidden contents

So What is it?

March, November or July?

8 hours ago, MAUSZX said:

So What is it?

March, November or July?

Misssed a couple of edits it seems ?. Well This one is November, Next one in March and then again in July.

1 hour ago, AuroraHistoire said:

Death Mark

I'm looking forward hearing about this one.

I almost bought it the last time it was on sale, but I found it that it wasn't voiced which ended up being the dealbreaker for me considering it's price.

Edited by voodoo_eyes
  • Like 1

So I have never been in this type of events.... tell me something.

So I pick 5 games... those games I have to play 6 days each is that correct? What if I did finish it in day 5? or what if I didn't in day 6? Do I have to leave it there for later or what?

8 hours ago, MAUSZX said:

So I have never been in this type of events.... tell me something.

So I pick 5 games... those games I have to play 6 days each is that correct? What if I did finish it in day 5? or what if I didn't in day 6? Do I have to leave it there for later or what?

Yes the idea is that you stick with one game for 6 days /should you pick 5 games), and then switch. You can also do 6 games with 5 days for each.

If you happen to finish a game or just don't like a game, you can just play something else that isn't on the list in the meantime, until it's time to start up your next game. No point in forcing someone to play something they don't enjoy.

The minimum playtime of 3h is there so people give a game a decent enough try and have something to write about.

• Like 1

The current standings for the votes are somewhat surprising.

6oDhr2O.png

Definitely didn't think Pathfinder would be so high up and Doom Eternal so far down.

Still a couple of days left before I close the votes, so we'll see how it turns out in the end.

Edited by voodoo_eyes
  • Like 1

Yes it’s that time again and I’m in I still have games from my last KYC event I haven’t finished but this is a fresh KYC and I have been looking forward to this one. I already have the theme for this event the theme this time is games that released this year. Now that doesn’t mean it has to been made this year just released so remakes, remasters, and re-releases also count. So the games in no particular order

-Tales of Arise

-Deathloop

-Resident Evil Village 

-The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles

-Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart 

• Like 3

Well the votes are counted and the results were unexpected.

Not sure why the image stopped working.

So here are the results.

I'll be doing 6 games , 5 of which will be the top 5 votes games and the last one will be my pick.

1-5 Homefront: The Revolution

6-10 The Crew 2

11-15 Styx: Master of Shadows

16-20 Injustice 2

21-25 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

26-30 The Division 2

Never thought Transformers would come in last, but here we are.

Edited by voodoo_eyes
  • Like 3

All right, that Persona 5 Strikers trophy will probably be the last one of the month.

First things first, I forgot one of the games I wanted to add in the beginning, so I am dropping Mary Skelter Finale and placing Blue Reflection: Second Light in its place.

And starting stats for the month, compared with KYC 16:

Games played: 486 (+17)

Games completed: 307 (+16)

Unearned trophies: 3,691 (+34)

Completion percentage: 75.03% (+0.79%)

Almost lined up the games played and completed perfectly, but Plague Inc: Evolved's new DLC pack had other ideas. Regardless, I'll probably finish whatever it is sometime this month. The biggest thing is finally seeing my completion % over 75% for the first time in years. So obviously, it's time to lower it down again.

As an aside, I got all of the platinum trophies in the list from KYC 14 after finally getting the platinum in both Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot and Ghost of Tsushima since last KYC. Of course Ghost of Tsushima has all those DLC packs, so it's not technically complete yet. Hopefully I can do those in a future month between this and the next KYC. It's still the only KYC I've completed every game from - most of the time I either drop one of the games or dislike them for some reason.

I'll be starting my first game probably on November 2 to see if I can get some headway on blu3st4rdust305's event before it ends, though. Off to go see if I can get another game or two in there!

• Like 2

Game #1 - Homefront: The Revolution - Preview

La1717e.png

Developer : Deep Silver

Publisher: Deep Silver

Genre: FPS

Price: 19,99 €

As a publisher Deep Silver tends to be a bit of a mixed bag. Mostly AA tiles, some of which are fairly well-known franchises by now, like Dead Island, Metro, Saints Row, Yakuza, etc. However there's dozens of titles between those more popular releases that no one knowns about.

As for Homefront The Revolution, this game had some pretty bad reviews at time of release. It mainly seemed to be a broken mess, with plenty of bugs and major performance problems. Well ain't that something to look forward to...

Still I hope this is somewhat decent.

• Like 1

Early Thoughts : Ninjin: Clash of Carrots

L76556a.png

This is a weird little title.  It combines hack and slash combat with auto-scrolling shooter style gameplay.  You play a Rabbit who is seeking vengeance, and the dialogue is kind of silly throughout.  The level of difficulty picks up pretty steep, pretty quickly, so I can definitely see why this never caught on.  I personally bought it like two years ago for under a dollar (think it was 79 cents or something like that).  I am thoroughly enjoying it and the upgrade system is a lot of fun to mess around with.  Right now I'm going to call it a hidden gem, but I'm holding out hope it doesn't ruin itself and get unfair before too long.  Being a big hack and slash AND shump fan, I can appreciate what it's doing.

• Like 2

Final Review #1 - Ninjin: Clash of Carrots

1L9c7b45.png

A golden bird that flies away, a candles fickle flame (HEY!)

Genre: Action/Adventure

Time Played: 3 hours

Game Difficulty: 7/10

Trophy Difficulty: 8/10

Ninjin: Clash of Carrots is a hidden gem that slowly turns into an obvious chore. ( I Know it's a couple days early, I'll hold off on the next game until Sat.)

Graphics/Music - 5/10

Ninjin is retro style pixel art, through and through.  Unfortunately, it doesn't have the glossiness of something like Owlboy, or the charming amateurishness of something like Woah,Dave.  Instead, these look fairly detail, but nothing overly remarkable.  If you liked the aesthetic in other games, you'll like it here.  I'm personally ready for the N64/PsOne style era of retro styled games, so I find this competent but not much more.

The music is a bit better.  Gives me vibes of like the 16 bit era, but again.  It's serviceable, but not particularly memorable.

Gameplay - 7/10

This is where the game shines, honestly.  It's a bit difficult to explain, so there is a video I made below, showing one of my runs in level 1-5 ).

You will run through a playing field automatically.  You swipe at enemies, though you can't swipe at them behind you (except in some boss fights).  You can dash to avoid their attacks (and briefly become invincible).  You can change up your swords, your projectiles (which you can throw in any direction) and your accessories (which don't appear to have a purpose other than changing how your character looks).  You can also add runes, which change certain passive things, and then some that give you active abilities.

It functions kind of like a hack and slash side scrolling shooter.  At first, it's very fun, and engaging.  Learning how to drop behind enemies and hit them in a lot of fun, and it involves some degree of skill.  You can't harp on the dash and attack ability very long, as many of the enemies come out in groups that simply don't afford you the ability to spam this move.  The enemy variety is pretty great too, though some enemies are just irritating.  One that throws steel balls at you, and another that splits into multiple enemies, comes to mind.  Unfortunately the difficulty gap gets steep quick.  These leads to enemies overwhelming you with little in the way of a reprieve.  Couple this with a stamina bar, and by world two, it all becomes too hectic to handle.

The stamina bar is kind of ridiculous, to be honest with you.  You can add a rune to make it so you have more stamina, but given your rune space, it becomes difficult to prioritize that and health upgrades.  Some of your swords also reduce your stamina just by swinging them, so on top of your dash reducing it, it's hard to manage.  You do have projectiles, but these do very little damage, and aren't very intuitive.  The main one I used pierces enemies allowing you to hit enemies behind them.  The damage is minimal, honestly, and while it does help with certain enemies (like explosive ones early on) it doesn't do much to clear herds of them, which is your most common problem.

Fortunately, your currency is carrots, and there are plenty of those.  They come in two varieties, standard and rainbow.  Rainbow can only be spent at a special nighttime shop, but given this shop is available regardless what level you are on, and there's no real day/night cycle, this is pretty pointless.  You do get to see a cuter corgi, but if cute things aren't your bag, this won't really benefit you in any way.

I do thoroughly enjoy other parts if this game though, I think the idea was just poorly executed in some spots.  They make you earn that S rank on each level, and I respect that  It doesn't always seem 100% fair, but I think part of that is on me just panicking too much.  I'll likely come back to this, perhaps in the ultra Rare Challenge for next year.

All in all this game is fine.  However, the trophy list is very bland and forgettable, and I would only recommend this if the game itself looked good to you.  Trophy hunters avoid, but arcade lovers should definitely find something enjoyable here.

FINAL SCORE - 6/10

Edited by willythom88
  • Like 2

Game 1 First Thoughts/Update

Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart

I know I’m kinda of doing things backward Usually I do a preview for the games before I started playing but on the first day of the event I had worked a long day and just wanted to start playing Rift Apart especially since this was supposed to be a entry in the last KYC. Still better late then never and still fits with my current games released this year.so no harm no foul. Now on to the actual game this has been one of my most anticipated games since the PlayStation Showcase last year. As anyone can see I’m a huge Ratchet & Clank fan and was bummed out at the lack of R&C games on PS4, I mean the only game we got last gen was the “Remake” of the first game that tied with the movie and while it looked good I honestly wasn’t a big fan of the changes to the story and the changes to the characters backstory while I did enjoy quarks parts it didn’t make up with in my opinion a downgrade to the original game. So Imagine my surprise and excitement when they announced a new R&C game Exclusively for the PS5 I was ecstatic. And I must say this has so far been a great experience, The Humor is very much still there, The characters both new and returning have been great I like them all, and wouldn’t be a R&C game without Weapons which the few I have are pretty cool. Now I’ve played about 9 hours so far on the game and I’d estimate I’m about halfway through the game so I have quite a bit to go but so far this has been a great experience and already one of the best games I’ve played in a KYC event.

• Like 2

Game #1 - Homefront: The Revolution - Review

La1717e.png

Time played: about 11h

Trophies earned: 20/51

So I finished the story with a day to spare, therefore I'll be wrapping this one up. I got as far as creating the character multiplayer-wise, which is dead as was to be expected.

I got to saym this game is a lot better than I had expected. It's still not great, but it was almost good. Then it started to fuck things up halfway through.

The game sounds pretty good overall. Sound effects, voice-acting are all solid. Even the lip-sync was really good, for hte first half o f the game, then it was all over the place for the remainder of the game.

Visually, there's something about the game I can't describe, but feels off.It looks good, but also odd. Like it has some sort of filter over it.

Regarding performance, it ran very well until halfway, and then missions with more enemies started and it went to the shitter. There are also plenty of bugs. You know, he usual open-world game silly shit, clipping through walls, floating enemies, NPCs popping up out of nowhere. This could almost be a Ubisoft game in that regard.

In this open world there isn't really anything to do, besides the missions, and some side missions.. The overall feel the gameplay gives me is Crysis vibes though. The story is ok, but predictable.

The most fun bit about the game are the weapons, which are by far the best out of any military shooter I've played. You hae your standard pistol and there's a shotgun, assualt rifle, a regular rifle and a crossbow as well as a bazooka. The coll thing is all of the weapons except for the bazooka has two different variants to it, and how that works is that you look at the gun and pick the pieces apart and put new pieces on it.

So you Assault Rifle can become a mine launcher or a LMG for example. There's also attachments for the weapons and upgrades. Gear upgrades can also be bought, which improve movement speed or damage reduction, etc.

What wasn't so great on the other hand, are the checkpoints. I would expect that, if I fast travel from one safe house to the other, an autosave is made after I travel to the new one and make it my "spawn" point.

Well the game prefers that you respawn at the last story autosave instead and go through the process of either fast travelling or walking all the way pack to where you were , in case you die.

Then there's also a rep grind in this game, similar to FarCry 5 which I was not a fan off. So you got to take over areas, which by the way is broken as hell. You can just run to the marker 90% of the time, interact with it and the area is yours.

Collectibles and mini events, like save people from being executed will give you progress for the rep as well. It's tedious and happens 3 times in the game. The last time was an absolute pain in the ass, because I had to get almost all the collectibles to be able to get the rep high enough. Those are very well hidden away in buildings that you need to figure out how to get into, because a lot of the time the access is on the second floor. So you need to find a neighbouring building that may have a climbable area or something.

Still I had my fun with it, and if it didn't have the rep grind and the shitty checkpoint system, I would've given it a 7/10. Instead it's only a 6/10 for me.

Edited by voodoo_eyes
  • Like 2

Game #2 - The Crew 2 - Preview

L52070a.png

Developer : Ivory Tower

Publisher: Ubisoft

Genre: Racing

Price: 49,99 €

The last racing game I played were NFS Undercover and Ride 3 over a year ago. Neither of which I thought very highly off. I also did not play the first game of this "series", so I'm not quite sure what kind of racing game I'm in for.

I'm very familiar with Ubisoft games in general though, so I'm expecting something in this game to break at some point. Maybe it's a good thing that I go into this one without any expectations.

I do hope it'll be a positive surprise though.

• Like 1

Preview

L8c6397.png

Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Forecast - Snowy with a chance of getting loss

There are three ingredients to making a huge AAA title these days.  1) A ridiculously large skill tree.  2) The ability to use some sort of "sense" to see important environmental clues.  3) Squeezing through rock passages and the camera moving behind the characters head so you can follow them to become more "immersed".  I'm only 2 and a half hours into Valhalla and I've gotten all three.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it, but it does play into a lot of the tropes big AAA open world games use nowadays.  Fortunately, I don't mind them, though I don't think they are particularly indicative of a special game to come.  The setup is also pretty by the books, but I wasn't expecting anything too interesting there either.  Honestly, I'm mostly surprised but how well Assassin's creed has been blended into the open world formula.  I've never much cared for the way the older ones played, what with the various input wheels in the upper right hand corner.  I've always considered Assassin's Creed to be one of them ore...sticky games in the genre.  I just wanna jump down to the street, but first my character has to jump[p to that window ledge, then to a rope between the buildings, and just...GAH, let me aim and jump to where I wanna go!. This one still seems to have that problem, but thanks to a lackluster navigation system, now I can get lost on my way to that rope!  Hooray!

Okay, I apologize, it's not as bad as I'm making it sound, and I'm only 2.5 hours in.  I am hoping it get a bit easier to navigate around, but we'll see.

Put in 2 more hours, it's gotten a bit better.  However, I have noticed some technical issues.  Below is perhaps the most obvious one so far.  

Edited by willythom88
  • Like 1

Just realized I never posted my starting stats.

Games Played/Completed:      172/128

Trophies Earned:                       5975

Unearned Trophies:                   762

Completion %:                           88.99%

KYC 17
Game No. 1

L69282e.png

Playing Time: 3-4 hours

Trophies Earned: 35/35 (100% :platinum:)

Final Thoughts:  Well, that just happened.
  I’ve participated in 13 or 14 KYC events and I’m pretty sure I have never platinumed a game during the event. I was aiming for shorter titles for this KYC, I just didn’t know how short this game really was. And then the :platinum: happened!

For starters, I had no idea what this game was. Turns out it’s a Point-and-click. I’ve really soured on this genre lately as the last few games I played that were point-and-click were nowhere close to entertainment.  It’s probably just me though; I despise missable trophies and it seems every point-and-click game is a missable minefield.

Truberbrook is no exception. I’d say 75% of the trophies are missable and after finding that out, I went the walkthrough route. (Note - If you truly love point-and-click games, you could play this through blind and then cleanup with chapter select.) My other problem with this genre is they are intended to be story driven, but the recent titles I have played have stories that are completely nonsensical. Truberbrook doesn’t suffer as bad as others in this regard, but by no means is the story anything to care about. It starts strong with a traveler venturing to a forgotten mountain town in Germany in the 1960s. Quick bone to pick - is it West Germany or the DDR? How do you put a game into that time period and not denote which side of the border you are on??? :shakefist:
  Anyways, the story starts with our traveler exploring the town, picking up items, talking to bizarre townspeople…and then it quickly spirals down into some sci-fi alien blah, blah, blah. ? It’s pretty forgettable and hard to even pay attention to. Maybe there were more storyboards that would have gone into further detail, but they got cut due to budget constraints. It was just strange that there are four main chapters in the game and nothing really happens until the last chapter. 
  So what are the positives? For one, the graphics are gorgeous. The characters and the landscapes are done superbly well and it really is a good looking game to play through. Second, most of the item using in this point-and-click are logical! I.E. - Put the key into the door. For the ones that make less sense, when the item using queue comes up, it will only offer things that work. So no clicking through two dozen inventory items to finally figure out the banana goes with the bowling ball.

After playing for a couple hours, I realized I was within reach of the platinum, so I pushed through and polished Truberbrook off. It’s not a bad game, it’s just underwhelming. But I am not a point-and-click guy. So if it’s your thing, I’d recommend because it plays much better than Irony Curtain or Day of the Tentacle. 
Final Grade: :silver:

Next Up: The Crew 2 

- @voodoo_eyes Let’s “crew it up!” :P

Edited by PerryToxteth
  • Like 1