MidnightDragonDX's Trophy Hoard

MidnightDragon

:platinum: #107

1L732f5f.png

Sea of Stars

This awesome game is an old school RPG that takes a lot from Chrono Trigger and other JRPGs of that era. You play as two Solstice Warriors, Valere and Zale. They're good characters, but the support cast is much more interesting. The best is their best friend, a warrior chef named Garl. He's absolutely awesome. Anyway, your mission as a Solstice Warrior is to defeat evil creatures known as Dwellers. Obviously there's more to the story than that. There are quite a few funny references to that era of gaming and gaming culture in general. It takes a little bit to get going, but once it does, you're in for quite a ride. This is a prequel to The Messenger, but there are supposed to be references and such. That being said, I've never played The Messenger, so not sure what all I missed and I didn't look for spoilers since I'm playing The Messenger down the line, then will play this again to see what I missed. Nothing can be missed and you later get something that will tell you where you're missing collectibles. It doesn't tell the exact area, but it gives you enough of an idea to start your hunt. Most likely you'll get almost everything without any help. Anyway, if you enjoyed Chrono Trigger, you will likely enjoy this.

• Like 3

Yay, a very hearty congrats to you MD 👏👏👏

Sounds like you enjoyed it as much as I did! I will also be looking forward to doing the PS4 stack sometime soon 😁 Just make sure you play The Messenger first!! Then that EE will make more sense 😉

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:platinum: #109

1L43856d.png

What Remains of Edith Finch (PS5)

I played the PS4 version back in 2019 and decided to play the PS5 version as well. This game is about a teenager who is the last surviving member of her family. The family is supposedly cursed and she goes back to her ancestral home to discover more about her family history. I like the format of a bunch of mini stories within a story. Almost all of them are very interesting. Some of the stories got to me more than I expected them to. Though I had a feeling I knew how the story would end because of the others, I wished it hadn't. I would recommend this game to anyone and it's definitely worth playing twice. 

Platinum shot

WriQtbQ.jpg

Edited by MidnightDragon
  • Like 2

My newest 100%

L53ffd9.png

This was quite a disappointment. I mainly got it for the nostalgia because I enjoyed the original Inspector Gadget cartoons when I was a kid. The story is interesting enough. MAD has taken over the city and after a time travel mishap, Inspector Gadget and his ancestors have to set things right. That being said, the gameplay itself is disappointing. It's a mediocre Mario Party clone for the most part. The graphics are outdated, the voice acting is a poor imitation of the voice acting from the cartoon, and the controls are so clunky. Thankfully, you can skip the games after a few failed attempts without messing with your progress, which I was forced to do a few times. Most of the games are easy to win, thankfully. The AI can be quite cheap. Nothing is missable as far as I can tell. You'll end up using the gadgets several times and the rest is just earned by playing the game. About the only real good thing is the remix of the Inspector Gadget theme they play at the title screen and that it's quick. If you want to play this game, get it as a gift like I did, at a VERY heavy discount or see if it goes on Plus. 

:platinum: #110

1L96b483.png

Bluey

This was a short, but sweet game based on the hit kids TV show. As anyone who watches Bluey knows, it also has a lot of humor adults will appreciate, too. This game felt like an episode of the TV show and was quite enjoyable. None of the trophies are missable and the collectibles aren't particularly hard to find, though the kids might have some trouble getting a few. Had a lot of fun playing this. If you're a fan of the TV show, I'd recommend it.

Platinum shot

dhMDvt1.jpg
  • Like 2

:platinum: #111

1L58db57.png

The Grinch: Christmas Adventures

This is a simple platformer based on How the Grinch Stole Christmas. The story is narrated throughout the game, but you can fast forward it, so to speak. There are puzzle pieces and present collectibles in this game, but none are very difficult to find. Most you'll run into, but even the hidden ones aren't too bad. The puzzle pieces are required to unlock upgrades, but the puzzles are quite straightforward. Not my favorite, but still wasn't too bad. Not sure how some completed it so quickly.

Platinum shot

WvCfwMJ.jpg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

:platinum: #111

1L58db57.png

The Grinch: Christmas Adventures

This is a simple platformer based on How the Grinch Stole Christmas. The story is narrated throughout the game, but you can fast forward it, so to speak. There are puzzle pieces and present collectibles in this game, but none are very difficult to find. Most you'll run into, but even the hidden ones aren't too bad. The puzzle pieces are required to unlock upgrades, but the puzzles are quite straightforward. Not my favorite, but still wasn't too bad. Not sure how some completed it so quickly.

Platinum shot

Reveal hidden contents

WvCfwMJ.jpg

Is it worth it's price though? I was hoping for a sale

:platinum: 112-Lake

1L091d77.png

In this game, you play as a woman who is returning to her hometown in the 80s after many years away to substitute for your vacationing dad, the local postal worker. You deliver the mail and also interact with the interesting characters that live in your hometown. In the end, you have to decide if you want to return to your life in the big city or return home permanently. There are LOTS of 80s references in this game. The game itself was a bit buggy and had some crashes. I was told the PS4 version might be better on PS4, but played it on PS5, so can't say for sure. I didn't really have much desire to play it twice when it was all said and done. It's not the most exciting game (since it's about mail delivery in a small town) and it can be a little tedious at times, but it's definitely worth a look, especially if you can get it in your PS+ library. 

Edited by MidnightDragon
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Newest 100%

La1ee80.png

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (PS5)

This is a remake of the classic Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap. You can switch between retro and modern graphics at will. In this game, you gain several transformations, which you use to make your way through the game. You can change in transformation rooms or there's a sword that allows you to do so whenever you like, which will be useful for getting all the items and trophies. You have to complete the game on hard and, unlike on PS4, there's not an easy way to get the trophy. However, it's not that bad. The game starts out quite tricky, but it gets easier as you gain new forms, stronger equipment and health upgrades. This game is quite fun. Wish they had put a platinum on the PS5 version, but can't have everything. 

• Like 4

On 1/17/2024 at 5:40 AM, MidnightDragon said:

Newest 100%

La1ee80.png

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (PS5)

This is a remake of the classic Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap. You can switch between retro and modern graphics at will. In this game, you gain several transformations, which you use to make your way through the game. You can change in transformation rooms or there's a sword that allows you to do so whenever you like, which will be useful for getting all the items and trophies. You have to complete the game on hard and, unlike on PS4, there's not an easy way to get the trophy. However, it's not that bad. The game starts out quite tricky, but it gets easier as you gain new forms, stronger equipment and health upgrades. This game is quite fun. Wish they had put a platinum on the PS5 version, but can't have everything. 

Always great to see some Wonder Boy love! This one will always have a soft spot with me seeing as it was the first game I ever finished back in the day. Did you cycle between the modern and retro graphics/audio much while playing? I think each time I completed a stack I would always stick to modern graphics and retro music. Now I want to play through again! 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RoastedPeanut said:

Always great to see some Wonder Boy love! This one will always have a soft spot with me seeing as it was the first game I ever finished back in the day. Did you cycle between the modern and retro graphics/audio much while playing? I think each time I completed a stack I would always stick to modern graphics and retro music. Now I want to play through again! 

I did some with the graphics. Wasn’t aware I could with the sound (guess I didn’t see the option). The modern graphics were done well. I didn’t play Wonder Boy back when it was new since I grew up on Nintendo. Still, better late than never.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:platinum: #114

1L0757a2.png

A Castle Full of Cats (PS5)

A simple and fun little puzzle game where you have to explore a castle and find all the missing cats to break the castle's curse.. I found most of the cats unassisted, which got a little tricky at times. I was stuck in one area for a while because I couldn't find the last cat no matter how hard I looked. I was scared it had glitched at first, but finally found it. It's inexpensive and it doesn't overstay its welcome. The money goes to a great cause and I would definitely would recommend.

Edited by MidnightDragon
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

:platinum: #115

1Lb13611.png

The Oregon Trail (PS5)

This is a modern remake of the classic PC game. In it, you travel The Oregon Trail, but there are also several side missions as well. This game does shine some light on some of the more unsavory parts of the history of westward migration, especially its impact on Native Americans and Blacks. I found it to be interesting since, for better or worse, it is part of history. It's a very fun game, especially if you played the old games growing up. The DLC adds an extra trail and some extra story content to The California Trail and the three Oregon Trail journeys in the form of tales of fearsome creatures. Most of the trophies are straightforward and hard to miss, but there are a few that come down to RNG and some of the journeys definitely have it rigged against you, so you'll need some luck. Still, it was a fun, nostalgic journey. 

Platinum shot

MV18Iai.jpg

Edited by MidnightDragon
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Newest 100%

L9e2b2d.png

This game is described as relaxing dragon flight, which is pretty much true. You play as a young dragon named Ember who goes on a journey to find other dragons. You then fly through 10 levels. You get fire and water balls to take out obstacles, but most of the time, you can find your way around it without using them. The game didn't have the fanciest graphics, but Ember was kind of cute. The music was of varying quality, which sucks since that's part of the game. I ended up just muting it and playing some Skyrim background music. Some of the levels could get a bit confusing. Spent a lot of time in the sixth level because it was a bit of a maze. You get the trophies by completing all the levels, so nothing is missable. It wasn't bad. Not the best game I've ever played, but not bad. 

• 3 weeks later...

:platinum: #117/118

1L464396.png

Felix the Cat (PS5 and PS4)

This is a collection with Felix the Cat for NES and Game Boy. It has all the typical retro collection things (save states, rewind, etc.) In the game, Felix the Cat has to save his girlfriend from the evil Professor, who also wants Felix's magic bag. All you have to do is finish both games for the platinum, so it's not exactly hard. It's a typical old school platformer, though you can use Felix's bag to do certain special moves. The game isn't too difficult, especially with the rewind feature. Each stack will take you a little over an hour. It was short, but enjoyable. 

PS5 platinum shot

EZbG4i9.jpg

PS4 platinum shot

rrmOX0Q.jpg
  • Like 2