How PlayStation 5 Was Built (feat. Mark Cerny)

ziggypossum

Mark Cerny, Lead System Architect of the PlayStation 5, breaks down all the went into the creation of Sony's latest video game console.

Mark talks about the steps Sony takes when developing a video game console,

from early brainstorming sessions to picking out what parts to use in the final product.

Sit back, relax & enjoy!

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Yuzuru Yamai said:

It would of been nice if Sony really did the backwards compatibility with the PS3 software added to it.

That would have been a great idea!

What better way could there be to further choke the manufacturing process of a console already struggling to keep pace with demand during the global microchip shortage, than to add an extra set of chips into the system, that would cater to less than 5% of the audience, but further restrict access for all of them? ?

?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

What better way could there be to further choke the manufacturing process of a console already struggling to keep pace with demand during the global microchip shortage, than to add an extra set of chips into the system, that would cater to less than 5% of the audience, but further restrict access for all of them? 1f44d.png

1f609.png

That and there's not a whole lot to bring forward from the PS3 that didn't already have some kind of remake or remaster on the PS4.

Like not a whole lot of people are interested in Afrika or Aquanaut's Holiday.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

Like not a whole lot of people are interested in Afrika or Aquanaut's Holiday.

It's true. There are some great games only on PS3 - but more and more of them are relatively niche now, and hardly driving factors behind sales. 

Not to say nothing will be lost when the PS3 store finally breathes it's last - but it would be very hard to justify increasing the price and reducing the availability of the new console just to cater to that tiny minority of us that still want to play those older games - and let's face it - those of us who do, probably still have a PS3 hooked up anyways... I know I sure do! ?

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

What better way could there be to further choke the manufacturing process of a console already struggling to keep pace with demand during the global microchip shortage, than to add an extra set of chips into the system, that would cater to less than 5% of the audience, but further restrict access for all of them? 1f44d.png

1f609.png

or they could just use virtual emulation like Xbox idk seems likes a novel concept if they invested in the infrastructure and wouldn't require and physical console modification.

I believe Sony addressed the issue with the PS3 emulation multiple times; not being so easy compared to the Xbox situation. At the end of the day, the company has to decide whether it's worth investing time and money into something only a fraction of the customers will use/ask for. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ClockWorkPhantom said:

or they could just use virtual emulation like Xbox idk seems likes a novel concept if they invested in the infrastructure and wouldn't require and physical console modification.

As I understand it, the cell architecture of the PS3 makes that a much more laborious and difficult thing to achieve, and would likely be prone to requiring significant bespoke finessing of individual games to ensure compatibility and playability.

The only thing worse than not including any backward compatibility, would be saying it is included, but having to have a massive list of games that don't work, or having some games fail to function like-for-like on it - virtually ensuring an endless tail of complaints from multiple vocal minorities of players, casting a shadow over the primary aspects of the new console.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Yuzuru Yamai said:

It would of been nice if Sony really did the backwards compatibility with the PS3 software added to it.

At this point, I'm ready to pay the premium for physical components to make that emulation possible in a PS5 Pro or something. Kind of like what the original PS3 did for PS2 emulation.

1 hour ago, theSpirae said:

I believe Sony addressed the issue with the PS3 emulation multiple times; not being so easy compared to the Xbox situation. At the end of the day, the company has to decide whether it's worth investing time and money into something only a fraction of the customers will use/ask for. 

That is true but there is another angle to consider here and that is the preservation of legacy software - especially if it's play-backed by the technologies we have today that can enhance the visuals with machine learning.

• Like 1

If you asked all PS5 owners if they would be okay paying more/waiting longer for their console to be able to play PS3 games, I'm fairly confident the majority would answer no. Would it be nice? Sure. Is it necessary? Maybe for the vocal minority. People can still play the games on PS3, just like people are playing old Commodore/Atari, etc games on the old consoles. If the game was good, it will eventually get remastered.

On 11/23/2021 at 1:50 AM, theSpirae said:

If you asked all PS5 owners if they would be okay paying more/waiting longer for their console to be able to play PS3 games, I'm fairly confident the majority would answer no. Would it be nice? Sure. Is it necessary? Maybe for the vocal minority. People can still play the games on PS3, just like people are playing old Commodore/Atari, etc games on the old consoles. If the game was good, it will eventually get remastered.

The original Manhunt on the XBSX makes the PS4 version look like shit so that's a thing.

You are right though I think, PS3 lives on. I just bought 2 more.