Downloading & Updates Question

WiiMan89

Hi all,

Just wondering if putting the PS5 into Rest Mode at ANY stage of downloading a game (downloading/copying/installing) is an issue? I put it in Rest Mode while the game was ‘copying’ and started thinking maybe I shouldn’t have. 

Another thing; the game (Watch Dogs 2) finished downloading and installing, I clicked ‘check for updates’ and it said there were none - there shouldn’t be when I’ve just downloaded it - but then when I started the game an update started downloading. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Thank you

4 hours ago, WiiMan89 said:

Just wondering if putting the PS5 into Rest Mode at ANY stage of downloading a game (downloading/copying/installing) is an issue?

Using rest mode on PS4 and PS5 is an issue. I don't recommend doing it unless you want more hassle than it's worth.

5 hours ago, Helyx said:

Using rest mode on PS4 and PS5 is an issue. I don't recommend doing it unless you want more hassle than it's worth.

I’ve been using rest mode on PS4 and 5 since launch without issue but on PS5 I never rest it with a game open. Always close it first but it kinda defeats the purpose. 

I've never had any issues when I put the console in rest mode, in fact I find that it improved the speed of downloads and installations to do so. 

As for the check for updates problem I never had this issue. The only thing I can think of is that you were unlucky enough to have the update release between when you checked and started the app.

I use rest mode almost exclusively on 4 and 5. you can't auto-upload your saves to the cloud without it. I don't get why people are so scared of it...if it was that bad it wouldn't be a feature. The only problem I'd say it has, is when you use it as much as I do...you start to see games degrade in performance a bit and Restarting the console usually fixes the problem, this is due to some kind of memory leak that happens at random times. But it's not that big of a deal otherwise.

But to answer the question, putting the PS5 in rest mode while downloading is perfectly fine, if anything it speeds up the process as that's all it's doing rather than pushing your net usage to different areas of the console. 

• Like 1

The PS5 did have issues on rest mode on launch but after a few months they fixed it, it randomly deleted games, uploaded saved data etc....It was a mess and not recommended to use at the time but it's safe now.

As for updating if you're a plus member you can select to auto-update games then the updates automatically come up.

23 hours ago, WiiMan89 said:

Another thing; the game (Watch Dogs 2) finished downloading and installing, I clicked ‘check for updates’ and it said there were none - there shouldn’t be when I’ve just downloaded it - but then when I started the game an update started downloading. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

I can confirm this. Watch Dogs 2 was the only game on my PSN profile that did that. Unusual, right? I played and platted it on PS4, by the way. :D

• Like 1

14 hours ago, saiyanbloodstyle said:

The PS5 did have issues on rest mode on launch but after a few months they fixed it, it randomly deleted games, uploaded saved data etc....It was a mess and not recommended to use at the time but it's safe now.

As for updating if you're a plus member you can select to auto-update games then the updates automatically come up.

That’s why I was hesitant and never used it with a game still loaded but it’s been confirmed now that it’s no longer an issue? I was still reading about it a fair few months into 2021 but would assume it’s been fixed by now. Just my habit now to close the game off but if it’s not an issue anymore I’ll leave them open. 

14 hours ago, zizimonster said:

I can confirm this. Watch Dogs 2 was the only game on my PSN profile that did that. Unusual, right? I played and platted it on PS4, by the way. :D

Yeah it’s weird eh? I even deleted it and redownloaded it so see if it happened again, and yep it did. I was gonna download it on my PS4 to test but just didn’t care enough by that point. 

Edited by WiiMan89
  • Like 1

The exact same thing just happened to me with The Division as well. 

It’s as if it’s just downloading the file required to start the app and then finishing it when you start the game for some reason??

I haven’t noticed this happening before. Is it something wrong with my PS5 or is it a Ubisoft game issue?

On 1/5/2022 at 6:05 AM, Helyx said:

Don't spread fake fear. When the console launched, it had a few issues with Rest Mode - mainly if you were using a USB HDD with the console. Those issues were fixed shortly after being brought up and the main issues with the stability were addressed in later updates.

For example, my console would randomly shut down when playing games off the external drive, or if it's in rest mode and the external drive turned itself off (which some drives do to save power). When it did that, the PS5 would come on, claim the internal SSD is corrupt, then only let me continue if I wiped the entire internal HDD and start again. As per the last major FW though, if it crashes then it just comes back on as normal - the 'corruption' message no longer happens, making the 'issue' a rare annoyance but not anything serious.

On topic though - certain games can trigger updates when you boot them up. FF 14, for example, installs the loader then grabs the actual update once you boot up the game - there are a few others that also do that but they're very rare. It just depends on how it checks for updates.

1 hour ago, turniplord said:

Don't spread fake fear.

Zero fear-mongering in my post. Rest mode has issues on practically every device I've ever used it on; it's best to just either have it on or off.