Rumor: Half Life: Alyx coming to PlayStation VR2

Abby_TheLastofUs

Sony has officially announced and named PSVR2, and it’s clear that larger investments in the VR space are going to be an important part of the PlayStation strategy going forward. Firesprite and Guerrilla are working together on Horizon Call of the Wildfor instance (which is apparently going to redefine what it means for a VR game to be AAA)- but will major VR titles that have already come out on other hardware also eventually make their way to PSVR2?

The one that comes to mind immediately, of course, is Half-Life: Alyx. Valve’s seminal first person shooter is regarded by many to be among the best VR games to date, if not the very best, and according to XboxEra co-founder Nick Baker, who’s been a prominent PlayStation leaker in the past, it’s eventually going to make its way to PSVR2.

In a recent tweet, Baker said that Valve and Sony have already worked out a deal for the same, and though there’s no word yet on when exactly it will happen, Half-Life:

Alyx will indeed come to the new VR headset.

As always, it’s best to take this with a pinch of salt until something is officially announced, though it does seem like getting Half-Life: Alyx over to PSVR2 is something that Sony should be attempting to do. The new PlayStation Sense controllers are, after all, much better suited to the game than the original PSVR, and Valve itself has also previously expressed interest in potentially bringing the game to PlayStation.

A reputable leaker says it's happening.

Edited by Abby_TheLastofUs

17 minutes ago, Mercenary09 said:

He isn't a reputable leaker. He says stuff all the time that never happens. Just one of those people who throws shit at a wall and hopes it sticks.

Nah, lately he's gotten more things right than wrong, and has had leaks corroborated by Jason Schreier, who has like a 99% track record.

Leaking stuff like the Iki Island expansion for GOT goes beyond just throwing everything at the wall and hoping it sticks. Stuff like that is too specific for him to have no sources. His problem is that he's too trigger happy, and can leak stuff without all the details or too soon, so I'd understand if people were more skeptical of leaks coming from him, as he doesn't vet his sources as well as someone like Jason Schreier.

Alyx coming to PlayStation isn't an outlandish claim from him though, since Valve wants it to be the game that makes VR mainstream, so releasing it on other platforms would be the next move.

28 minutes ago, Abby_TheLastofUs said:

Nah, lately he's gotten more things right than wrong, and has had leaks corroborated by Jason Schreier, who has like a 99% track record.

Leaking stuff like the Iki Island expansion for GOT goes beyond just throwing everything at the wall and hoping it sticks. Stuff like that is too specific for him to have no sources. His problem is that he's too trigger happy, and can leak stuff without all the details or too soon. 

Alyx coming to PlayStation isn't an outlandish claim from him either, since Valve wants it to be the game that makes VR mainstream, so releasing it on other platforms would be the next move.

Of course it isn't outlandish which is why he's hopping on that wagon. He gets no brainer stuff right but the other stuff he puts out there that isn't so obvious never happens. Remember early last year when he said that if you haven't played Sekiro on PlayStation then you should hold off? Yeah he was teasing it was coming to PS+ and that never happened. Then he was teasing that Sony was going to announce a remake or a big game around Christmas. That never happened. Oh I suppose the announcement just got delayed right? How convenient. Where's that new Sly Cooper game he said was coming? It will never happen and then he'll say "Oh well I guess they decided to cancel it."  "The cat is out of the bag on Xbox and Nintendo. You'll hear more in the fall." He said that last April and nothing came of it. Where is the Bloodborne PC port he said was pretty much done? Where is the new Infamous? Where is Bloodborne 2 from Bluepoint? Where is the Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver remaster? The guy doesn't know jack.

Edited by Mercenary09

43 minutes ago, Mercenary09 said:

Of course it isn't outlandish which is why he's hopping on that wagon. He gets no brainer stuff right but the other stuff he puts out there that isn't so obvious never happens. Remember early last year when he said that if you haven't played Sekiro on PlayStation then you should hold off? Yeah he was teasing it was coming to PS+ and that never happened. Then he was teasing that Sony was going to announce a remake or a big game around Christmas. That never happened. Oh I suppose the announcement just got delayed right? How convenient. Where's that new Sly Cooper game he said was coming? It will never happen and then he'll say "Oh well I guess they decided to cancel it."  "The cat is out of the bag on Xbox and Nintendo. You'll hear more in the fall." He said that last April and nothing came of it. Where is the Bloodborne PC port he said was pretty much done? Where is the new Infamous? Where is Bloodborne 2 from Bluepoint? Where is the Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver remaster? The guy doesn't know jack.

The Sly Cooper and InFamous rumors are some of the things I was referring to when I said he was too trigger happy with leaks. If they are happening, we won't know till maybe years from now. 

His track record isn't on par with likes Jason Schreier or even Jeff Grubb, but he has some sources. He gets something like Sekiro wrong, but then gets FF7 remake coming to PS+ in March right. He went all in on the Chrono Cross remaster getting announced at TGA, and it didn't happen, but after the show, completely separate from Nick, Schreier said the Chrono Cross remaster was definitely happening.

I'm more inclined to believe he just doesn't take time to vet his sources properly or follow up with them, rather than him just making things up.

Some of other things you mentioned have been corroborated by others. The Bloodborne rumors originated from Colin Moriarty and were backed up by someone that leaked the Wolverine announcement from the PlayStation showcase.

The issue we'll have when it comes to leaks for games that haven't been announced, is that it can take years for them to be confirmed. There's a long gap between when development starts and when a game is announced. It's too early to list some of those game leaks as damaging his credibility.

But I understand not wanting to treat leaks coming from him with some skepticism, while I think he's got some sources, I don't see him as on the same level as guys like Schreier.

He is not a reputable leaker. This has a good chance of sticking so he threw it out there in hopes of scoring some insider points. I remember when that Russian guy leaked Horizon PC and this guy threw a bunch of names of other Sony games coming to PC, including Gravity Rush 2. Years after it flopped. That's when I knew he was an attention begging poser. Please stop giving him the attention he craves.

That said, ANYONE can see that Sony has been in contact with Valve about Alyx. It's the flagship PC VR title.

Edited by iriihutoR84

17 minutes ago, iriihutoR84 said:

He is not a reputable leaker. This has a good chance of sticking so he threw it out there in hopes of scoring some insider points. I remember when that Russian guy leaked Horizon PC and this guy threw a bunch of names of other Sony games coming to PC, including Gravity Rush 2. Years after it flopped. That's when I knew he was an attention begging poser. Please stop giving him the attention he craves.

That said, ANYONE can see that Sony has been in contact with Valve about Alyx. It's the flagship PC VR title.

He claimed Bloodborne's PC Port was just sitting around finished. I'm so tired of this guy. The only thing I ever saw he was right about was FF7 being on PS+ and I actually saw someone on Resetera say that was happening before him so he probably just copied it from them.