Should I use a tv or monitor for my PS5?

Rando-Calrisian-

As mentioned in the post’s topic I am deciding whether to get a new tv get a new monitor or continue using a monitor for my PS5. After my research I think have answered my own question, the results of which I will share below. However, before I make the purchase, I would be interested in everyone’s experience or opinion on the topic.

I am mainly focusing on resolution (how sharp the image is) and refresh rate (how smooth the image is), fps. I didn’t consider HDMI 2.1, HDR, OLED vs LCD. Comments and experiences would be appreciated.

This is part question, part presentation of my findings for those unfamiliar with the topic. So please forgive me if things are too dumbed down in some places.

My Setup

I play in my study on a desk with the PS5 hooked up to a 4K monitor. This one to be specific. I bought it just after the PS4 pro came out and found it on some random “best monitor for PS4 pro…” list online. As it’s on a desk, I sit 60 cm (about 2 feet) away from the monitor.

**Issue***

With the PS5 hooked up to a 4k monitor, the image either looks pixelated (lower output resolution) or has a lower refresh rate or 30 frames per second (fps) or less.

Basically, the PS5 is not powerful enough to run new games at native UHD 4K (3840 x2160 pixels) resolution. Also, many older PS4 games are only output at HD 1080p (1920x1080 pixels). On a computer monitor if the output resolution from the PC or console does not match the native resolution of the monitor the image is grainy / blurry / pixelated. The larger the difference, the worse it looks. So, a PS4 games (for example Resident Evil 7 which outputs at 1080p I think) generally looks bad when played on my 4k monitor.

Even first party PS5 exclusive games typically cannot run at native 4k all the time, if at all. They adjust the output resolution dynamically based on what’s going on / demand on the system's resources. Performance mode when available in games further sacrifices resolution to increase frames per second (fps) towards 60 fps or above if monitor supports it (my preferred way of playing). I have found, for most games currently available on PS5, it is not powerful enough to get near the 4K resolution whilst maintain the higher 60 fps. So, the choice is either have a blurry image or lower fps.

4K is a huge number of pixels to generate. Even higher end gaming PC’s struggle to run at native 4k. PC’s can bypass the blurring, grainy pixelation effect outlined above by adopting scaling technology such as hardware based Nvidia DLSS or software based AMD Fidelity FX Super Resolution. Basically, the system outputs the image at a smaller resolution, 1920x1080p for example, it is then upscaled to the larger resolution to match the monitor e.g. 4k whilst eliminating the pixelation. So, it looks like 4k resolution but with the faster FPS of to 1080p resolution.

Console can’t do resolution upscaling. AMD Fidelity FX Super Resolution may be implemented in consoles soon, via software, I have read. Currently consoles rely on the TV’s hardware to do this upscaling using technologies such as Sony’s X Reality Pro or LG’s AI Picture Pro.

My Options / Observations

Stay with 4K monitor

I have read the AMD Fidelity FX Super Resolution scaling will be implemented in new games soon. This is an update to the software which should work on any hardware so the game developer must implement it.

The plus side is that I don't have to change any hardware.

The negative is that it is not out yet. No games have been announced on console with this feature. Existing games will need to be patched meaning resolution issue will persist on older games if they do not get patched.

Change to 1080p monitor

The PS5 can easily output at 1080p at up to 120 Hz (120 fps). If a monitor supports this refresh rate it will look super smooth and crisp.

The downside is that the maximum monitor size is about 24". This is the sweet spot for a 1080p monitor. Any larger and the image starts to look pixelated as there are less pixels in a larger area. So, the screen size is small.

Change to 1440p monitor

This seems to be the sweet spot between higher resolution and performance. It sits about half-way between HD and UHD 4k. 27" seems to be the best size monitor for 1440p (2560 x 1440 pixels).

The issue is that it currently is not supported on PS5. I have read rumours it is planned in coming updates, but nothing has been announced.

Change to a TV

I have concluded that this is probably the best option. Why…

The inbuilt resolution scaling features (Sony’s X Reality Pro or LG’s AI Picture Pro) seem to be the selling point for me. So old games output at 1080p will look great, so will new games output at (close to) 4k. New games with performance mode will both look great and run at a higher fps.

LG tv’s also have variable refresh rates (VRR) that adjust the tv refresh rate to match the output frames per second of the console. For example, if a console outputs at 60fps then drops to 45fps when under load the tv’s refresh rate changes to match what the console outputs. This results in a smoother image and no tearing. LG has NVIDIA GSync and AMD free sync technology. However, the PS5 doesn’t use these technologies yet and will most likely use Sony’s yet to be released VRR. It is unknown if LG TVs will use this unreleased Sony VRR. Currently there is only one Sony TV that has Sony VRR (x90j), despite the PS5 not yet supporting it. Hopefully existing Sony TVs will be patched to include Sony VRR. VRR is not a huge selling point for me, the resolution scaling mentioned above is.

The negatives are the price and the size. The smallest tv with these features is 48". This is getting a bit big for a desktop setup.

It doesn’t matter whether you use a gaming monitor or a tv. This boils down to personal preference with how far your viewing distance is from wherever u usually sit to play

either way, make sure ur tv/monitor has all of the following specs:

4k resolution  

120 hz

VRR (variable refresh rate)

ALLM (auto low frequency mode)

hdmi 2.1 

• Like 2

You probably need to stick to a monitor if the size is too much of an issue.

Also i'd recommend searching for one with HDMI 2.1 to future proof it, most games can't do 4k 60fps especially AAA games and if a game can do up to 120fps the resolution goes down to 1080p anyway, but it's best to get a monitor (or TV if you prefer) that has 4k and HDMI 2.1 because it's something you aren't going to change for many years so best to buy a very good one.

I of course don't know the best places or prices in Australia so i think you're better off searching it for the right monitor/TV yourself.

• Like 1

I'm using a 4K 60hz monitor with my PS5 and I can't say I have noticed any grainy/blurry image issues. I've used it with both PS4 and PS5 games. I usually run the PS5 games in performance mode and the 60fps looks smooth to me. Then again, I'm not especially picky about that kind of thing.

My bigger issue is that the monitor was advertised as HDR, but I discovered later that it's a cheap version of HDR that looks kind of bad (too dark), so I ended up just turning HDR off.

• Like 1

It almost sounds like PC-gaming is the way to go for you in the long run as you really seem to value visual performance.

Other than that, it'll be important to share your budget if you wish to have strong recommendations. I'd go with a PC monitor and switch to Steam instead, but I understand if you want to stick to consoles.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alayaes said:

It almost sounds like PC-gaming is the way to go for you in the long run as you really seem to value visual performance.

Other than that, it'll be important to share your budget if you wish to have strong recommendations. I'd go with a PC monitor and switch to Steam instead, but I understand if you want to stick to consoles.

I used to be a PC gamer, then changed to console exclusively about 7 years ago. I've gotten used to the 30fps since then. The PS5 gave me a taste of that sweet sweet 60fps again. That’s what started this whole exercise.

During Sydney's last lockdown, in a moment of weakness, I got a good gaming PC (Nvidia RTX 3080ti). The PC will be for shooters, RTS and anything developed for PC (e.g. Cyberpunk). 

Of course the graphics are better on PC but console gaming is still preferred for me why:

- much larger community on console. Tens of millions of people play on console, PCs is much much less. Being in Australia, the player count for multiplayer games drops much faster than the US and UK.

- most games developed for consoles then ported to PC. PC ports aren’t always great.

- PC gaming is much buggier (infinite combination of hardware and software on PCs which changes year-to-year, console hardware is the same and will be for years).

- console is plug and play, don't worry about anything else, PC requires a lot more fiddling with settings.

- With PC gaming, you get caught up in the PC graphics arms race as I call it. Now my PC runs games at high settings with smooth fps but that will change in a year or two. Then that starts bothering you, then you start looking at new parts to improve performance ($$$), then you start thinking should I buy those parts, then you start getting targeted advertising for those parts, then you start thinking "maybe life will be better with a new graphics card". Very unpleasant and can start getting very expensive. 

Edited by Rando-Calrisian-