Don't sleep on this game.

Eraezr

16 minutes ago, Nute202- said:

Which was better?

Imo: When you never played a Tales of - game before or no (action) jrpg before, no recommendation would be helpful to you.

Afaik, Tales of Arise and Scarlet Nexus are both available as a demo. Play both demos, watch some gameplay on YouTube and such, then make a decision.

29 minutes ago, Skurkitty said:

14.99$ at the moment, the cheapest it's ever been. Don't play many JRPG/Anime games, but a lot of praise is given to this title and the reviews are strong. With a month to kill until Hogwarts, I think it's time to give this a shot.

It's worth it. There are 2 playthroughs. 1 per character. You can do both or 1 before hogwarts for sure.

I am really hopeful they announce a sequel this year with a 2024 release. But there's no word on it. It did sell well though 

It's a great game. One of the few rare games where I really didn't mind doing a second playthrough. In fact, the second playthrough is better because now you know what's going on. The combat is fun, the story is great, and I enjoyed the costume stuff. It's a small detail but I enjoyed putting dog ears and cat tails on all my characters and having them show up in cutscenes. 

1 hour ago, Infected Elite said:

It's worth it. There are 2 playthroughs. 1 per character. You can do both or 1 before hogwarts for sure.

I am really hopeful they announce a sequel this year with a 2024 release. But there's no word on it. It did sell well though 

From the guide it seems like the first playthrough should be with the character you prefer between the two. Am I understanding that correctly? The second playthrough sounds like a "here's the same story + extra character specific stuff you missed". ? Will definitely be starting this tomorrow night.

22 minutes ago, Skurkitty said:

From the guide it seems like the first playthrough should be with the character you prefer between the two. Am I understanding that correctly? The second playthrough sounds like a "here's the same story + extra character specific stuff you missed". 1f914.png Will definitely be starting this tomorrow night.

Both characters have their own story bits and initial companions, so feel free to start with whoever you wish as you won’t miss out on anything.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Skurkitty said:

From the guide it seems like the first playthrough should be with the character you prefer between the two. Am I understanding that correctly? The second playthrough sounds like a "here's the same story + extra character specific stuff you missed". 1f914.png Will definitely be starting this tomorrow night.

Thats exactly it. Personally i found Kasane more fun to play as than Yuito, though it really is preference. Think Tales of Xillia 1, where you can pick Millia or Jude and there are a few specific chapters that are unique to that character. That applies to Scarlet Nexus but you will need full playthrough of both. You can carry over items to a NG+ and play with second character which makes it much easier as well.

• Like 1

After you beat NG+ you can swap between the 2 characters at your home base. I would start with the character you're most interested in though simply because there is no NG+ scaling or anything so the second playthrough will feel like a bit of a slog just because your characters will be overpowered assuming you upgraded their gear. It's not a particularly hard game in general either, I'd suggest playing on hard if you want any semblance of pushback from the game cause you're not gonna get it on normal. They even added a very hard difficulty at some point because of that, though dunno how that is as it was well after I was done with the game.

Personally I really enjoyed the game but mainly because the gameplay. The story is pretty run of the mill JRPG stuff with bland execution, and the story pacing is actually bad imo because of how bonding works. But the combat with Yuito specifically is ridiculously fun because of his moveset. Kasane is alright but her attack animations are slow and she doesn't get a specific combo finisher Yuito does that is completely busted and really fun to use when you're able to stack party member abilities at endgame. They also designed her as more of a mid-range character which feels really pointless with a lot of the enemy design.

Edited by ZenaxPure
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...