This is getting ridiculous

itzzh3lixx

-Netflix integration(ps3), video unlimited

-Facebook integration

-Share button for video to Ustream

-Amazon Instant Video, Crunchyroll, EPIX, Crackle, etc, etc.

-and the other 50+ apps.

All are to try to turn this gaming system into "Do other stuff instead of gaming" attitude.

The playstation now is just the most annoying one for me because people do not enroll in great apps/games on their tablets or phones. It's just going to drive the Mafiawars/angrybirds type games up which makes it harder for quality developers to be motivated.

You've been gaming almost as long as I have. We have decades of gaming and watched the market change over and over again. You have not noticed the motivation by sony, this time, to turn the system into a big fat joke just as cell phone activities have changed?

Edited by AIDSorHIV
  • Like 1

-Facebook integration

-and the other 50+ apps.

All are to try to turn this gaming system into "Do other stuff instead of gaming" attitude.

The playstation now is just the most annoying one for me because people do not enroll in great apps/games on their tablets or phones. It's just going to drive the Mafiawars/angrybirds type games up which makes it harder for quality developers to be motivated.

You've been gaming almost as long as I have. We have decades of gaming and watched the market change over and over again. You have not noticed the motivation by sony, this time, to turn the system into a big fat joke just as cell phone activities have changed?

Errm...how are all of those bad things when the focus is still gaming? they never went up on stage and went on and on about Netflix, or whatever. It was always about the games with those things as enhancers to gaming *with the case of the share button* or side apps for you to indulge in. Also, your elitism and generalization is so plainly obvious it's not even funny. You're just looking for a reason to put down phones, tablets, etc and act as if Sony is releasing Angrybirds as their next big triple AAA title. Heck, how does the service even co-relate with the dominance of Angrybirds and the like? 

Gaming has always been about moving forward with graphics and gameplay or keeping the quality the same while just making stuff different. With the release of PS4 it really looks like gaming is beginning to take a turn for the worst. It looks as though Sony is trying hard to get people to move in the opposite direction.

Instead of backwards compatibility they are reselling old games. Sony just keeps going and going with trying to implement features away from a new/better gaming experience. This is probably why games like GTA5 have decided to lay off of moving forward to GTA6 and just try to run with gta online instead.

Backwards compatability, actual compatability is impossible due to architecture difference between both systems. The price would go up if it was out of the door available, and I would rather have a cheaper console with some fees to play old games over shelling out an extra 100$. Let's not forget the console is in it's infancy and there is absolutely no way of telling just yet, but you say it as if Sony is shoving out old games as new when in reality it's just a service that will substitute for the lack of backwards compatability and expand the library to a general Sony system. Also, you have to be kidding me. GTA V is your example? the game that's so drastically different from it's predecessor that it's practically unrecognizable? if anything the online is the tacked on aspect while the offline is where the real meat of the game is at.

That "future of gaming" that PlayStation now will try to be, it's quite far away.

If they think that streaming a 1080p game will be easily doable in all first world countries they are quite mistaken. There are very few countries with a broadband capable enough and whidespread enough to make the service enjoyable for the masses.

-Facebook integration

-and the other 50+ apps.

Couldn't it be argued that PlayStation has always been about more than just gaming?

The PlayStation could play CD's, one of the selling points of the PlayStation 2 was that it could play DVDs and the PlayStation 3 was a Blu-Ray player. To me the PlayStation 4 offering all sorts of these apps is an evolution of that and it is exactly what the majority of consumers want. Why should we have to have 3 or 4 devices for our entertainment purposes when we can just have one? Sony knows that the community wants these features but they also know that we expect a damn good gaming machine first. When the Xbone was first announced Sony was being praised for the PS4 focusing completely on games but they'd be stupid not to include some of the other apps people have come to expect. 

Parker

• Like 1

That "future of gaming" that PlayStation now will try to be, it's quite far away.

If they think that streaming a 1080p game will be easily doable in all first world countries they are quite mistaken. There are very few countries with a broadband capable enough and whidespread enough to make the service enjoyable for the masses.

Yep, that's correct. As you said, it's far away but this is a good starting point to a service that could become a really big thing in the future.

This is why backwards compatibility is a must have for consoles. if we could play our ps3 games on the ps4 thered be no problem in waiting for ps4 games coz thered be plenty to do. instead we're stuck with repetitive sport games and simplistic first person shooters like COD.

ive owned my ps4 for over a month now and all ive done with it is play resogun for 5 minutes.

This is why backwards compatibility is a must have for consoles. if we could play our ps3 games on the ps4 thered be no problem in waiting for ps4 games coz thered be plenty to do. instead we're stuck with repetitive sport games and simplistic first person shooters like COD.

ive owned my ps4 for over a month now and all ive done with it is play resogun for 5 minutes.

You have no idea how much time and money would cost to maintain a software emulator.

You'd need to make it work with all the games (with and without game patches). That's far from manageable.

On the other hand hardware emulation would require additional hardware in the console and that would mean you'd have to pay more to buy it.

• Like 1

I decided to wait to get a ps4 after the ps3 launch since I only had 3 games for about 8 month haha but at least on ps4 people are getting some good games for free through PS+ it softens the blow a bit

During the first year of ps3 backwards compatibility was great and I can see why sony are pushing to get PS now out the door, once its setup the ps4 will be a must buy for people who don't have the older consoles

You have no idea how much time and money would cost to maintain a software emulator.

You'd need to make it work with all the games (with and without game patches). That's far from manageable.

On the other hand hardware emulation would require additional hardware in the console and that would mean you'd have to pay more to buy it.

WELL SAID!

I find it sad and disturbing how many people lack even the most rudimentary understanding of how backwards compatability works and how it would hamper the console!

No one is forcing you to smash your ps3, use it to play ps3 games, and let the current gen consoles progress technologically without having one eye always looking to the past.

i do have a basic understanding of what would go into it, though i must admit its limited. but all im saying is that its been done multiple times even in the recent generation if you count the xbox in the equation so it is possible.

and if youve looked into the previous models of the ps3 that were backwards compatible it shows that people are certainly willing to pay extra for a backwards compatible models (ive seen them sell for up to 1500$ recently)

itd be awesome if they just made a backwards compatible console available for special order for a larger price coz i definitely would buy it.

Like others said, if Sony implemented backwards compatibility in the PS4 it would have an astronomical price tag and the system would be doomed. One of the reason the PS3 was originally so expensive is because of the PS2 backwards compatibility, now imagine having to do that with the PS3 which is way, way more complex than the PS2. 

Parker

• Like 1

i do have a basic understanding of what would go into it, though i must admit its limited. but all im saying is that its been done multiple times even in the recent generation if you count the xbox in the equation so it is possible.

and if youve looked into the previous models of the ps3 that were backwards compatible it shows that people are certainly willing to pay extra for a backwards compatible models (ive seen them sell for up to 1500$ recently)

itd be awesome if they just made a backwards compatible console available for special order for a larger price coz i definitely would buy it.

The first xbox and the second one had a really similar architecture if I'm not mistaken.

I wouldn't know about PS2->PS3 but it was hardware compatibility and it was cut from successive models probably because of production costs.

People who buy a console with retrocompatibility for 1500$ are morons. Just keep your previous console and your new one.

Would you rather not play anything until February? I don't mind the PC games, since my PC sucks and I can barely play anything on it.

This. I love when they port PC games, some like very fun but I can't play them as I have a Vista and have no intention of really trying to upgrade anytime soon (PC gaming just doesn't hit home with me).

The first xbox and the second one had a really similar architecture if I'm not mistaken.

I wouldn't know about PS2->PS3 but it was hardware compatibility and it was cut from successive models probably because of production costs.

People who buy a console with retrocompatibility for 1500$ are morons. Just keep your previous console and your new one.

It also limited the hardware that could be placed inside, made it tougher to have better specs if you were fixated on playing older, less impressive games, since some of the higher end stuff apparently won't play some stuff (I learned this when I tried to play C&C Red Alert on my PC a few years back, too 'high tech').

Edited by Leo_Ascendent