Hardest levels in nightmare coop?

Kramers001

On 28/2/2022 at 5:55 PM, Mellenthin said:

I'm not sure if putting a wall of text will help, but why not.

The Pit is hard as you're already surrounded by imps and zombies as you start the level and use the lifts. I recommend using the lift which the shotgun is located on, and then play as smart as you possibly can, with the goal of steadily make progress towards the blue key. Once you have it, keep using the same aforementioned lift and then take the door to the immediate left. It's important that you pick up the super shotgun before dropping down where the yellow key is located as you'll be swarmed by imps and pinkies. You don't have to kill them all, you just need to find an opening to reach the yellow key. Once that's accomplished, you should have no problem finishing.

Tenements is one I dreaded for a while soloing, as it's a rather long level packed with all sorts of enemies, including a cyber demon. If you have a partner, keep that one in one of the starting rooms overlooking the square and keep the cacodemons and the cyber demon occupied, otherwise it will be even more chaotic.

The Catacombs is easily one of the more troublesome if soloing. Grab the plasma rifle from the secret room adjacent from the starting location, but as soon as you teleport onto the main platform, you'll be assaulted from all sides by chain gunners and revenants, forcing you to not waste even a split second and be on constant move. It's key to know where to go as soon as you teleport, otherwise you'll be practically destroyed on the spot. Having a partner which can help you clean up the area around the main platform is very helpful.

Bloodfalls is probably my most hated level. Even with a partner, the moment you enter the squared area with the BFG, you'll be gunned down by a combination of shotgun zombies, chain gunners, imps and a revenant. When you get on top of the walls, the room you need to proceed through is packed to the brim with demons and you'll easily die here. Intelligent usage of the BFG as you enter said room is how I got through, but you still need to be on your toes as there's a Hell Knight and more zombies as you come around the corner. Going down the lift just before the end area contains two pain elementals, and even in the final room you need to be quick as there's chain gunners and even an arch-vile present.

Regarding The Living End, I suggest you read and watch the excellent videos here on how other people have done it. There's nothing I feel I can provide that they already haven't.

The only other thing that I can think of in terms of general advice is the usual, the more you play and improve, the easier it becomes. Knowing each level is the first step, mastering the controls and strafing the second. After that you'll get a feeling for any given situation whether you need to kill, bait or just run around to get an opening. It's also extremely useful to start infighting between enemies, especially so the more powerful they are. Many times the main problem to advance is not having enough firepower and kill enemies in time before they respawn, so any help in that regard is more than welcome.?

I am stuck in lvl 22 catacombs, managed to get  the two keys but couldn't reach the exit. Do you think it is possible to do this map once you've died and respawned? I couldn't even get close to the exit... Or is it needed to do it in one go? I did most of the maps 1-22 dying and respawning most of the time (except lvl 20, tricks and traps and a few others) But I feel like this one must be done without dying. Gonna keep trying, I am not grabbing rocket launcher maybe thats the problem

32 minutes ago, kapomimo903 said:

I am stuck in lvl 22 catacombs, managed to get  the two keys but couldn't reach the exit. Do you think it is possible to do this map once you've died and respawned? I couldn't even get close to the exit... Or is it needed to do it in one go? I did most of the maps 1-22 dying and respawning most of the time (except lvl 20, tricks and traps and a few others) But I feel like this one must be done without dying. Gonna keep trying, I am not grabbing rocket launcher maybe thats the problem

You can brute force that level, idk if your going tru the secret entrance(unlocked from tapping the action button on the green torch)

There are 4 chain gunners in there that should give around max anmo for it.

The lift in said secret room is also the best way to go to avoid taking lots of damage and you can take nice pot shots on the enemies on the middle platform at the top of said lift.

Make sure when your going to the red door, don’t rush in there trying to get past the enemies, run into the conner and try to take out the 2 or so chain gunners before they kill you, then rush the red door and make like a mad man to that sweet exit.

If you die, just repeat till you make it.

One last note, there is a secret room in the beginning(on the opposite side of rte torch’s) it’s a wall that opens up like a door, it has specter, but also contains a overcharge and set of armor.

May be nice to grab after getting both keys and trying to fight your way to the exit.

Edited by Wild-Arms-R

18 hours ago, Wild-Arms-R said:

You can brute force that level, idk if your going tru the secret entrance(unlocked from tapping the action button on the green torch)

There are 4 chain gunners in there that should give around max anmo for it.

The lift in said secret room is also the best way to go to avoid taking lots of damage and you can take nice pot shots on the enemies on the middle platform at the top of said lift.

Make sure when your going to the red door, don’t rush in there trying to get past the enemies, run into the conner and try to take out the 2 or so chain gunners before they kill you, then rush the red door and make like a mad man to that sweet exit.

If you die, just repeat till you make it.

One last note, there is a secret room in the beginning(on the opposite side of rte torch’s) it’s a wall that opens up like a door, it has specter, but also contains a overcharge and set of armor.

May be nice to grab after getting both keys and trying to fight your way to the exit.

I grab that supercharge right at the beginning, maybe I can try to save it until the end but will be hard to reach those keys without that extra health and armour.

EDIT: I just did it, didn't bother grabbing rocket launcher. Just brute force it and what saved my ass was an extra supercharge to the right of the last door that takes you to the exit which has 2 chaingunners. Lvl 23 didn't take me so much time but the beginning was really hard

Edited by kapomimo903

I finally got Doom 2 platinum today! (this is my alt) did it on current update, solo and without depatch method.

Map 29 was the hardest as everybody says, did it doing map 28 before to have max health and ammo. For me the key was reaching the last part where you just have to run with some armor and at least 50 health. I think I had around 75 health and 40 armor and ended the level with around 20 health and 20 armor. Changed some tactics from the videos I saw, like killing most cacodemons with bfg right after pressing the button which elevates the platform, 2 shots for 3 cacodemos that show up and 2 shots for the other 3, grab supercharge then go down and use rockets for whatever is left. Keep as much armor for the rest of the level as possible and you can do it!

Bloodfalls was hard too but I did it pretty fast compared to other levels, did it without grabbing bfg, get the key, die, then go for megasphere, get plasma rifle and reach the end as fast as possible.

Map 9 the pit, map 22 catacombs and map 29 were the ones that took me more time. Map 29 being the hardest, then 22 and then 9.

For anyone trying this platinum, it is possible! I am not a pro Doom player, I consider I'm good at shooters (got Wolfenstein 2 platinum) but I am not pro at all. Doom 2016 was my first Doom game, so you can do it if you work hard for it. But it is extremely hard and unfair so keep that in mind.

Thank you to everyone who helped in the forum giving strats and feedback. And thank you to Decino and all other players who uploaded videos on youtube with their walkthroughs. Also if someone needs some tips feel free to ask me, but please don't ask me to shareplay because I have PTSD after this lol

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, how hard would it be, if we would be playing in 4 players via Share Play? I know doing this solo is pain in the ass, but maybe in 4 it could be kinda easier. 

Has anyone here tried it doing it in 4 via Share Play? 

Edited by Patrickosan

53 minutes ago, Patrickosan said:

Ok, how hard would it be, if we would be playing in 4 players via Share Play? I know doing this solo is pain in the ass, but maybe in 4 it could be kinda easier. 

Has anyone here tried it doing it in 4 via Share Play? 

Shareplay = lagfest. You would have an easier time solo with two controllers.

I understand. So what is better in a long run, playing solo or have someone else playing on second screen, even if he is not so skilled? What are the penalties of dead in coop? I saw you start from the level beginning and lose all your weapons. But can you pick them up again? 

On 29/05/2022 at 7:12 AM, Patrickosan said:

I understand. So what is better in a long run, playing solo or have someone else playing on second screen, even if he is not so skilled? What are the penalties of dead in coop? I saw you start from the level beginning and lose all your weapons. But can you pick them up again? 

Best solo all the way through. You can pick up most weapons again in each level.

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Kramers001 said:

I did it! I finally beat level 29 on nightmare coop! And I found a tactic, that makes the level a bit easier. You technically end up starting out the level with two lives by doing it, gonna put a link down for future masochist trophy hunters to use. Good luck!

https://youtu.be/6bRkcE6GzVY

I think I’m still going to use Charles to revert to version 1.03. Playing DOOM 2 on version 1.08 is just too much, tried level 14 for over one hour before I threw in the towel. 

5 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

I think I’m still going to use Charles to revert to version 1.03. Playing DOOM 2 on version 1.08 is just too much, tried level 14 for over one hour before I threw in the towel. 

That's fair, I learned playing on true nightmare that the difficulty ain't balanced fairly at all compared to other games with hard mode trophies, so it is understandable. Level 14 was one of my dreaded ones too.