Last of Us: Factions [Cancelled]

I'm super disappointed by this news. I was really looking forward to seeing more about it. If the report is accurate then I don't see how the project can continue. Once you start shifting devs onto other projects and start scaling everything back then the writing is on the wall. That isn't even taking into account how long it's been in development for already and now with this latest setback... yeah, it's dead.

On one hand it sucks, because I was really excited to see what ND could do with a standalone multiplayer game. The original Factions remains the most fun I've ever had with a multiplayer experience, so the potential was definitely there with this new game. On the other hand, at least they weren't willing to throw it out there regardless of quality (or lack thereof), which is a good thing. Bungie are doing exactly what they were brought onboard to do, and if their efforts and recommendations make for better experiences going forward then obviously it's a good move.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Carol said:

Considering we barely had any news about this game for several years, I am not even surprised if it gets canceled. I just stopped waiting for this game, to be honest.

Same. I loved the original factions so much. If this game ever releases I don't think it's going to make the same impact. I want to be proved wrong, but I don't have high expectations.

The Factions mode in the original first last of us game was the best multiplayer experience that Naughty Dog created so far. Still, it got boring after a while. No longterm fun. Never liked any of the uncharted multiplayers much either. So to me it's no surprise that the studio has it's problems with creating an exciting mp-game. They are fantastic in creating stunning looking worlds and know how to tell a story, but they've never been a studio that sets a bar for new inspiration or creative gameplay. They need support from the outside, otherwise this will not turn out satisfying for anyone.

On 26/05/2023 at 9:46 PM, Jacko_the_lad said:

I've already given up hope of this ever releasing, seeing as all we've got in four years since the announcement that it wasn't going to be included with TLOU 2 is two drawings.

I feel the same - I hoped for something at the Showcase and now for the Summer Gamefest with the final hope for something to come out (even just some news) on outbreak day in Sept.

On 27/05/2023 at 1:08 PM, Solid-Fisch said:

The Factions mode in the original first last of us game was the best multiplayer experience that Naughty Dog created so far. Still, it got boring after a while. No longterm fun. Never liked any of the uncharted multiplayers much either. So to me it's no surprise that the studio has it's problems with creating an exciting mp-game. They are fantastic in creating stunning looking worlds and know how to tell a story, but they've never been a studio that sets a bar for new inspiration or creative gameplay. They need support from the outside, otherwise this will not turn out satisfying for anyone.

Sort of in this boat, too, although I'm more of a single player type gamer. I'd much rather NG focus on TLOU3 or even an unexpected Left Behind-type DLC than Factions.