Last of Us: Factions [Cancelled]

I would pay $70 for this unless there is a battle royal mode. If the game is battle royal, then count me out. Just give us Interrogation & Supply Raid and I’ll be happy. They can get rid of Survivors for all I care. I just want them to properly patch their game when the shooting through walls/cover, crab walking crap starts up again cause they have a track record of letting cheaters and hackers take over their games. 

• Like 2

A bit scant, but it's something!

Hopefully there's no PTW weapons or overpowered molotov spamming this time. Also, if they jump on the battle royale trend, I'll lose all interest.

Edited by StraightVege

That art seems to imply a number of things. That it'll have that mechanic where the map keeps getting smaller and smaller as the game goes on (that or it'll have some manner of weather effects), and that infected will be present, likely as AI enemies to pester the enemy teams. Something I wonder also is if they are going to stick to 2 teams in a match or if they'll expand it to 4 teams (Fireflies, US Military Remnant, a local rebel group, and some manner of cult). 

All in all, looking forward to it. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

New concept art from last week's blog post:

teaser-image.png

Druckmann says the project is very ambitious, reiterates that the game tells a story. He also states that 2023 is a big year for the franchise: HBO show, PC port of Part 1, and the 10-year anniversary. Perhaps we'll learn more about the multiplayer game then.

Another thing that's worth attention but hasn't been mentioned here is the fact that Naughty Dog hired Fortnite's battle pass expert to work on this game's monetisation system. Jeff Grubb has stated before that this upcoming game will be a live service. Wouldn't be a surprise considering Sony's 10 live service games until 2026 strategy. So do we expect this game to be free-to-play?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Solid-Fisch said:

Bet your ass this will be woke. It's a Naughty Dog game.

This might be the game in the franchise that will bring me in.

Just imagine playing as Abbey, running around with bulging and gleaming muscles, clubbing everyone and everything to death.?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Slava said:

New concept art from last week's blog post:

Another thing that's worth attention but hasn't been mentioned here is the fact that Naughty Dog hired Fortnite's battle pass expert to work on this game's monetisation system. Jeff Grubb has stated before that this upcoming game will be a live service. Wouldn't be a surprise considering Sony's 10 live service games until 2026 strategy. So do we expect this game to be free-to-play?

if this is true, count me out

• Like 1

No way this is a free game. Naughty Dog has proven they will remake their remake, call it built from the ground up (trust me, it wasn’t) and charge full price for it. They are desperate for $$$ and will keep milking their golden cows. 

This is screaming pay to win if the Fortnite guy is involved. 

If this is battle Royale, count me out. Also, ND does nothing to patch their games once the cheaters come out in full force so I’ll keep my expectations low for now. Hope they prove me wrong though. 

• Like 3

Yikes, that does not instill confidencemy eyes just glazed over at "Fortnite's battle pass," and "live service." Sorry, but even if they produce the most "woke" multiplayer game ever made (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean ?), it won't convince this soyboy to play a battle royale. Perhaps if they include some sort of classic TDM/supply raid mode without the survival crap, I'll still give it a try, but I'm not feeling terribly optimistic now.

Gradually becoming resigned to the fact that developers simply don't make the type of multiplayer modes I'm interested in anymore.

Honestly, in this case the whole battle pass thing might be an upgrade. Previous Naughty Dog MP modes have very much been pay to win with their microtransactions, and they've gotten away with it because most people just stick to the singleplayer and as such don't care about the multiplayer and its monetization. I imagine they won't have that kind of slack when multiplayer is the whole game.

4 minutes ago, StraightVege said:

Yikes, that does not instill confidencemy eyes just glazed over at "Fortnite's battle pass," and "live service." Sorry, but even if they produce the most "woke" multiplayer game ever made (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean 1f644.png), it won't convince this soyboy to play a battle royale. Perhaps if they include some sort of classic TDM/supply raid mode without the survival crap, I'll still give it a try, but I'm not feeling terribly optimistic now.

Gradually becoming resigned to the fact that developers simply don't make the type of multiplayer modes I'm interested in anymore.

The battle pass doesn't mean it'll be a battle royale, just that it'll have... well, a battle pass to grind for limited time skins. Gotta milk that FOMO!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Honestly, in this case the whole battle pass thing might be an upgrade. Previous Naughty Dog MP modes have very much been pay to win with their microtransactions, and they've gotten away with it because most people just stick to the singleplayer and as such don't care about the multiplayer and its monetization.

Heh, you're not wrong! Uncharted 4 was particularly egregious in this regard. Out of principle, I committed myself to unlocking every last booster and weapon the hard way, spending the piddly amount of relics you earn through normal gameplay, and it took freakin' forever. Was so tired of the game afterwards that I immediately quit playing.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-05-26/-last-of-us-multiplayer-video-game-faces-setbacks-at-sony

Sony Group Corp. has slowed down development on an upcoming multiplayer game in its long-running The Last of Us video game series as the creators reassess its quality and long-term viability, according to four people familiar with the project.

The team working on the game was scaled back after a recent evaluation, said the people, who asked not to be named because they weren’t authorized to speak publicly. A small group remains on the project while the company reevaluates the direction. While the game has not been canceled, many of its developers have been moved to other projects.

Following requests for comment from Bloomberg News, Naughty Dog, the Sony subsidiary working on the project, put out a statement on Twitter saying that “we’ve realized what’s best for the game is to give it more time.”

(...)

Naughty Dog has been developing the multiplayer title for at least four years. It started as a complementary mode to The Last of Us: Part II, the single-player game released in 2020, but the creators grew ambitious and decided to make it into its own game, Naughty Dog said.

Sony has invested heavily in “games as a service,” or video games designed to be monetized beyond their initial sales through ongoing purchases. As part of that push it asked another of its video-game studios, Seattle-based Bungie, to evaluate the games across its portfolio. Bungie raised questions about the The Last of Us multiplayer project’s ability to keep players engaged for a long period of time, which led to the reassessment.

(...)

In the statement, Naughty Dog said it will continue to work on this multiplayer project as well as other games “including a brand new single-player experience.” 

https://twitter.com/Naughty_Dog/status/1662166716892479488

What the dog doin

• Like 3

The fact that there was no announcement in the recent PlayStation Showcase, not even a teaser, says a lot about the state of development of this game. It seems that PlayStation and the developers don't want to make any announcements because they aren't sure about delivering this game. It's a shame. I've been playing the multiplayer mode from TLOU Remastered, and it's still such a good game mode to this day. Even a remake for the first game came out before we saw even a teaser for this game.