Slow laptop

RockySanchez666

Good to hear it's all ok now, you should install MalwareBytes I've heard it's one of the best antivirus out there

I recommend this as well, even if you have an active anti-virus in your PC, it'll usually miss out on whatever Malware Bytes finds (you can also pay for Malware Bytes, but I haven't found this required at all).  You just need to be careful it doesn't pick up a FP and end up deleting anything important.  Also, if you aren't using it as your Internet Security, I recommend changing to Avast, it's one of the best anti-virus/internet securities out there, usually blocks anything that it sees as a threat before it even has a chance of getting into your PC.  I don't recommend Norton as usually when I did use that, that let a shit ton of viruses in and really slows your computer down, all anti-virus software does, Avast isn't too bad in this area.

Macs are awesome :awesome: Just accept the fact :P

Correction. OSX is awesome. Macs can use Windows as well. It's not a fact either, some people like Windows better and others like OSX better. I personally wish I was still using OSX as it just has a lot more cleaner of design, but I have a beast of a PC which loads up Windows in no time at all, faster than what my old iMac loaded up OSX.

Edited by TakahashiDemon

I've built a succession of gaming PCs over a period of two decades and NONE of them were cheaper than a Mac. 

Then you are clearly doing something wrong, or PC parts are extremely expensive where you live. The cheapest Mac I could find is the MacBook Air and it's nearly £100 more expensive and is a total joke when you compare the specs.

ba24372e10.png      45324c96e9.png

• Like 1

Then you are clearly doing something wrong, or PC parts are extremely expensive where you live. The cheapest Mac I could find is the MacBook Air and it's nearly £100 more expensive and is a total joke when you compare the specs.

I know my shit, I only built gaming rigs and all of them were redundant within 3 or 4 years. The last upgrade...I'll reiterate...upgrade (already had the screen, speakers, mouse, keyboard, PSU and case) in 2009 cost me $3500 for a Dual-SLi, Quad-GPU, i7 setup. My 27", i5 iMac in comparison was around $2500. Guess which one has lasted longer for its intended purpose? Hint - it's not the PC and I have no need to even consider upgrading the Mac for another few years.

And yes, PC components are exorbitantly priced in Australia. Refer to the Australia Tax. Components are significantly cheaper these days, but so are Macs. My Mac will last two generations of same-era PC, so I consider it an absolute bargain.

Not to mention the half-dozen laptop PCs I've owned over the last 15 years, each of which cost in the range of $2500 to $3500. The last was a gaming laptop and the video card died within 12 months. By comparison, the MacBook Pro I picked up for around $1200 is still going strong after 2 years, the same has never been true for any laptop PC I've bought.

You also need to factor in OS overhead. OS X is built to run on a limited array of hardware and better utilises the available system resources. It's the same logic behind the PS3 / PS4 architecture - they're underspec'd in comparison to gaming PCs, but they still pump out impressive numbers and will outperform same-cost PC builds. Windows on the other hand needs to run on anything and everything, hence it's bloated as fuck and is a bottleneck on system performance. Though the Mac has lower specs, I can almost guarantee you it'll have better performance for the same applications. That's certainly the case for my significantly more powerful PC vs my mid-range iMac. The PC frequently craps itself under load and multi-tasking, the Mac does not. It'll also stay up for weeks and months at a time, with a 99.99% reliable sleep mode. Sadly, a PC can't boast the same.

In terms of power consumption - my 1000+ watt PC has half a dozen external devices plugged into it, all with PSUs, sounds like a fucking jet aircraft and heats my room to the point of being uncomfortable. My Mac has one plug on the back, is quiet as a churchmouse and barely consumes any energy.

You get what you pay for when building a PC and buying a Mac and only one of them is built to last. Another hint - it's not the PC. So you're right - one of us is "clearly doing something wrong" and it ain't me.

Taking lifetime ownership into consideration, it's far, far cheaper for me to ditch PC altogether, use a Mac for productivity and play my games on console. I still want a gaming rig, but only as a Steam Machine running SteamOS and pretty much only so I can play with an Oculus Rift. Even then, it'll barely be used and I'm better off spending that dough on console games instead.

Correction. OSX is awesome. Macs can use Windows as well. It's not a fact either, some people like Windows better and others like OSX better. I personally wish I was still using OSX as it just has a lot more cleaner of design, but I have a beast of a PC which loads up Windows in no time at all, faster than what my old iMac loaded up OSX.

Bang an SSD into a Mac and see how fast that sucker boots up. Not that boot-up time in any way equates to system performance.

Thanks to the X86 architecture of modern Macs, they can also run Windows as an embedded OS within OS X (via VMWare Fusion). So I can run PC apps faux-natively within the OS X UI without booting a VM. Neat, but it's ultimately useless for my purposes. I've found the Mac has far more, better and cheaper apps for my industry.

I do however run XP and Doze 7 VMs for the rare instance of needing a PC app, usually gaming-related, like the Raptr client for trophy-syncing. Even with a modest 12 GB of RAM on an i5-powered iMac, I can easily run OS X and two instances of Windows concurrently with full drag-and-drop between operating systems. Buy a Mac. They're not just for hipsters.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

I know my shit, I only built gaming rigs and all of them were redundant within 3 or 4 years. The last upgrade...I'll reiterate...upgrade (already had the screen, speakers, mouse, keyboard, PSU and case) in 2009 cost me $3500 for a Dual-SLi, Quad-GPU setup. My iMac in comparison was around $2500. Guess which one has lasted longer for its intended purpose? Hint - it's not the PC.

And yes, PC components are exorbitantly priced in Australia. Refer to the Australia Tax. Components are significantly cheaper these days, but so are Macs. My Mac will last two generations of same-era PC, so I consider it an absolute bargain.

Not to mention the half-dozen laptop PCs over the last 15 years, each of which cost in the range of $2500 to $3500. The last was a gaming laptop and the video card died within 12 months. By comparison, the MacBook Pro I picked up for around $1200 is still going strong after 2 years, the same has never been true for any laptop PC I've bought.

You get what you pay for when building a PC and buying a Mac. Only one of them is built to last. Another hint - it's not the PC.

Most of this boils down to what the user uses their PC for and where they live. Apple have really fucked up pricing for Mac's over here in the UK, a MacBook Air is £850 here, and $850 in the US, with conversion rates making it around £350 cheaper in America. So I would still recommend a casual web browser to go with a Windows laptop despite the shitty build quality, simply because it's much, much cheaper. For someone living in the US however I would say go Mac.

I'm not disputing that MacBooks last longer than most laptops, they are really well built. There are Windows laptops that last though and to rule them out all together is a bit biased, the Thinkpad range is brilliant, but yeah in general most Windows laptops are cheap and awful with a few diamonds in the rough. But your point about Mac's being cheaper is only applicable to a select few and you can't really use it as an argument in my opinion.

Also, the PC build I have above will outlast any Mac currently on offer, other than the Mac Pro which is nearly 4 times the price at £2,500. With proper maintenance and a good clean every now and then a PC can last just as long, it requires a bit more effort but it's possible. My old PC from 2008 (which still outperforms an iMac from the same period) is still working fine with no issues.

I would like to point out that I am not a fanboy or anything, I own several Apple products and like their hardware, I just dislike their pricing here in the UK.  :P

• Like 1

Buy a Mac. They're not just for hipsters.

FYI, I did own an iMac, but the hard drive went, out of warranty, it would been an easy enough replacement but Apple has made them so you have to go to them for anything other than RAM replacement (I read up about replacing stuff like harddrives in iMacs, you have to be extremely careful, and most of the time, it ends up broken more).  Only way I will get another Mac will be the Mac Pro which if anything goes in it, it is easy to fix myself, my PC at the moment is easy to fix (custom built, so means I can upgrade any part when I feel fit to), I'm not a big gamer on PC either, so the video card didn't bother me, so long as I can play MMOs and I don't even care about playing them with the highest graphics.

Overall, I don't hate Apple now, we have an iPad, I plan to get an iPhone this year sometime.  OSX is and probably always will be my favorite OS.  But I'm staying away from iMacs.  Mines did last several years though, so who knows, maybe the standard lifetime those have.. its just I had a PC (custom built) before that which lasted a good 15 years before it totally went.

Edited by TakahashiDemon

I much prefer Windows, I'm not a fan of paying $500 more for the same exact hardware, since my PC is made of that aluminum that the Mac is made of (it sort of shamelessly rips off the look of the Macbook Pro off but that's besides the point), customer service does not value at a $500 fee either seeing as I could buy another computer or device for that price. 

Mac's are not really anything special anymore, in fact it would seem that Windows is now doing more to innovate from hardware to software. I've never had any viruses or anything for the 7 years I have owned my own PC's and I have never used any anti-virus software (I HATE anti-virus software, lol), it's not because I was lucky, it's because I know the extremely easy and quite obvious steps to avoid viruses and such, the only reason I would sell an organ and get a Mac is if I did a ton of video editing but I do a lot of photo editing for the site working on all of the header and trophy card images and the PC works fine.

At the era of late XP/early Vista I would probably want a Mac because they were really pushing everything at that time but Apple has not released a new OS in years!! OS X is getting constantly cluttered more and more with its paid updates ($30 for an OS update?). Like I was saying, with every update it gets more disorganized with more stuff and they don't take out things that are outdated - The File, Edit, View bar is long irrelevant on everything, but still exists on Mac for example. The toolbar and menu system is a mess and unorganized with what seems like little option from developers to alter it for their programs, etc...

More importantly, my PC is compatible... with everything... easily without having to go through backdoors. I can play games on it (even though games libraries are expanding on Mac via Steam among other services), and a big plus is having everything compatible with my school work. It's quite hilarious how much software is only compatible with PC's and Mac users have to jump through so many more hoops just to access their schoolwork.

Ehh, I could go on and on with this but I was laughing when people were saying "just get a Mac" because that definitely isn't the best decision for people all the time. However, if this guy keeps getting viruses then it may actually be the right move for him to shell out a bunch of money and get a Mac though (even though Macs do have viruses too, though they have less of them).

Edited by BlindMango

I was considering moving to mac, as my pc is now really getting on my nerves (sounds like a jet taking off) and I have trouble finding the time to take it all apart and tinker with things.

however since the recent iOS updates (been an iphone user for years) I'm a bit more wary about anything apple decide to pump out as my phones have just been crippled recently.

horses for courses people (forgot that previous post) - people are going to feel more comfortable with windows or linux or Mac Os. Price still remains an issue though, I can't find any sort of mac for under 400€, I can find PC's though.

I have seen the recent mac pro and holy mother of jesus, I'd buy it for the looks alone (well appart from the fact that I would probably be shot when I got caught out and had to say the price)