Sega loses Shenmue trademark

Lady Lilith

http://segabits.com/blog/2014/02/19/has-sega-lost-the-trademark-on-shenmue/

RyoHaz.jpg
Weird the way things happen? In one month from today, March 19th, Yu Suzuki will take the stage at GDC to talk about Shenmue, Ryo Hazuki has made his return to SEGA’s All-Stars Racing games and now SEGA loses the trademark for the franchise in the USA? Seems like a step back for fans and it seems to be true.

According to the trademark page, the reason they dropped the trademark was “because registrant did not file an acceptable declaration under Section 8.” So what is Section 8? You can read it all here, but the whole thing revolves around SEGA not coming with a ‘declaration’ on why they should keep it and why they haven’t been making commercial uses of it. Though, I think this is a mistake since SEGA technically is making ‘use’ of the franchise with his appearances in recent games and even merchandise. I have a feeling this trademark issue is something SEGA is already working on fixing.

Maybe since Sega lost the trademark, Yu can freely make a Shenmue III now, or rerelease the games on PSN? I know he wanted to do those things.

I know Sony have mentioned they want Shenmue on PlayStation so I really hope this is what they need to make that happen. Shenmue has a pretty damn big following and it has been ridiculous that Sega has let the franchise sit idle for over a decade. 

Parker

• Like 2

I know Sony have mentioned they want Shenmue on PlayStation so I really hope this is what they need to make that happen. Shenmue has a pretty damn big following and it has been ridiculous that Sega has let the franchise sit idle for over a decade. 

Parker

I think it's because they know they would probably mess it up. 

I think it's because they know they would probably mess it up. 

I'm sure the same development team from Shenmue and Shenmue II would be doing work on the third game and the first two were absolutely stellar so there is no reason to think the third would be any different. 

I think it is about money more than anything else. The Shenmue games were immensely expensive to make and because the Dreamcast didn't sell that well I don't know if Sega really recouped their money.

Parker

Parker

Just because they want it doesn't necessarily mean that they'd do a good job with it.

I'm pretty sure any company would want a title that is essentially guaranteed to make them money.

Just because they want it doesn't necessarily mean that they'd do a good job with it.

I'm pretty sure any company would want a title that is essentially guaranteed to make them money.

Sony are generally very generous with developers and give them the freedom they want to make their game as they want it. If I recall correctly Kaz Hirai met with Yu Suzuki (the creator of Shenmue) and expressed his interest into getting Shenmue on PlayStation. If they can manage to do that I see no reason why Sony wouldn't allow Yu Suzuki to continue with the development (along with his own team) and I really doubt he'll make a bad game if he gets to work as he wants. 

Parker

Sony are generally very generous with developers and give them the freedom they want to make their game as they want it. If I recall correctly Kaz Hirai met with Yu Suzuki (the creator of Shenmue) and expressed his interest into getting Shenmue on PlayStation. If they can manage to do that I see no reason why Sony wouldn't allow Yu Suzuki to continue with the development (along with his own team) and I really doubt he'll make a bad game if he gets to work as he wants. 

Parker

Or they could simply toss it over to Santa Monica Studios simply because -- well, why the fuck not; they've been ripping off Shenmue QTEs from the start.

All-in-all, this is all hypothetical and we'll eventually wind up with either something or nothing.

Time to just wait it all out.

Or they could simply toss it over to Santa Monica Studios simply because -- well, why the fuck not; they've been ripping off Shenmue QTEs from the start.

All-in-all, this is all hypothetical and we'll eventually wind up with either something or nothing.

Time to just wait it all out.

I've been waiting over a decade, I WANT SHENMUE III DAMMIT!  :lol:

Parker

At this point, I just want something. Even if it's not as good as the first two, at least we'll finally be able to finish the story.