Glitches

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960495-lego-harry-potter-years-1-4/55523165

Backup all data frequently!

Glitches you should be aware of if you are aiming to plat/get a 100% save.

-Do not quit Tom Riddles Diary on first playthrough, could result in chapter skipping and you are locked out of the level as a whole.

-When you build the sweeper in the Owl Emporium don't leave until you get the gold brick.

-Do not quit while saving once you have got a character. In rare cases this will cause you to be locked out of purchasing the characters.

-Do not play the Polyjuice Potion lesson in Co-op. May cause the potions not to spawn locking out many collectables in Hogwarts.

-This a reaaaaaaaally big one that I believe Jareth suffered this, when in the clock tower, do the puzzle in one go. Backup before this puzzle. If the gold brick doesn't spawn, reload the cloud save and repeat until you are rewarded.

-Dungeon exit, this one is said to be game breaking in the thread, despite the fact it's not. Do not leave the cellar below one of the classrooms via the dragon until the autosave icon is gone. This will cause the dragon AI to not trigger and will mean you are trapped. This was patched, but if it does happen try this: Go to the left side and equip your cat, jump down and press O right when you fall, with numerous attempts, Hermionie's cat will die off the map and will spawn back in the classroom, then leave the room.

-*IMPORTANT* MAKE SURE THE BONUS LEVEL IS YOUR LAST THING, IT MAY LOCK YOU OUT OF HOGWARTS. ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS MAKE SURE YOU HAVE COLLECT GHOST STUDS AND ALL STUDENTS IN PERIL, YOU CAN USE CHEAT CODES FOR RED BRICKS.

ONE FINAL THING, BACKUP YOUR SAVE FILE EVERY HOUR OR TWO WHEN IN HOGWARTS.

Edited by ProGamerX56

Part 2, these glitches may cause you to worry and think it's a glitch.

Trophies involving Red Bricks or Gold Bricks fail to pop.

Play any level and exit with the save and exit feature.

Freezing/exiting to dashboard

This will happen frequently, make sure it doesn't happen in Tom Riddle's Diary! Backup before that level.

I will add glitches if and when I find em :)

I agree that this is a great thread to post, especially since all these LEGO games have been plagued with a glitch or two minimum.

Another glitch that to be aware of is the dragon room, accesed through the trap door in one of the classrooms.  Be sure to back up your save file before attempting to enter the room.  Pre-patch, the game could potentially glitch and make it impossible to get out of the room.  Post-patch, the game could glitch after you leave it and make it impossible to re-enter the room.  It's been a while since I've played this game, but I think as long as you have Harry Potter, Dumbledore and any dark wizard you should be able to collect everything in that room.

• 3 weeks later...

Almost shat bricks when I purchased the last character that I needed to buy with a percentage of 99.7%, the character purchase bringing the completion percent to 99.9% with all the collectibles earned and all and reading all the completion preventing glitches the game can have....

Turns out I still needed to buy one more red brick.... :lol:

Edited by kmg90

• 1 year later...

I completed the game until I was like 99.40 odd percent when I realised an unlockable character, peril and a gold brick glitched out for me. It was a dreadful experience playing it the first time round, not going to go a second run due to the game being an ass. Also on that note, never playing a Lego game again because in all I've played they're glitchy as hell.

• 1 month later...

One other thing newbies to this game should be careful of - if you're wandering round Hogwarts with one or more Polyjuiced characters in your party, make sure it's one of the original party, not a Polyjuiced character, who walks from one area into the next, as doing it with the Polyjuiced character(s) can cause the game to freeze & crash.

Zach, that seems a bit silly to me. I've played many of them, but I've only ever run across a truly game-breaking glitch in one (PS3 physical edition of Pirates of the Caribbean). The rest can be dealt with easily enough by saving often and backing up, which isn't hard, and for the fun of the game play in general I believe most of them are worth it. Having said that, PS3 disc version of Lego Hobbit made me crazy the first time as it crashed twice during FMVs when I wasn't even touching my controller, both before I even got to Rivendell. So that was annoying. But in general I thoroughly enjoy the series, so I can live with a few glitches. I make sure to contact TT about the ones I run into, though. To me they seem far too lazy about patching...

One other thing newbies to this game should be careful of - if you're wandering round Hogwarts with one or more Polyjuiced characters in your party, make sure it's one of the original party, not a Polyjuiced character, who walks from one area into the next, as doing it with the Polyjuiced character(s) can cause the game to freeze & crash.

Zach, that seems a bit silly to me. I've played many of them, but I've only ever run across a truly game-breaking glitch in one (PS3 physical edition of Pirates of the Caribbean). The rest can be dealt with easily enough by saving often and backing up, which isn't hard, and for the fun of the game play in general I believe most of them are worth it. Having said that, PS3 disc version of Lego Hobbit made me crazy the first time as it crashed twice during FMVs when I wasn't even touching my controller, both before I even got to Rivendell. So that was annoying. But in general I thoroughly enjoy the series, so I can live with a few glitches. I make sure to contact TT about the ones I run into, though. To me they seem far too lazy about patching...

Yeah, honestly, not ran into any glitches that locked me out from getting 100%. I have run into a glitch in one of the games related to using cheat codes in the game, but there's always work arounds or not really a problem. But, in the Star Wars 3 game, I was able to figure out a glitch that froze my game pretty much every time I did it. :P I should post that on this forum if I haven't already! :)

• 1 month later...

So I got a problem here too. I finished the four years and now I looking for all collectibles in Hogwarts Free Roam. My problem is at the moving staircases. I can switch the first staircase by 90° and can go upward to the door where the three headed dog was in year one. Now there is a second staircase but this one is up in the air and I have no idea to bring it down. I can see on the far right two pictures. One with a quittich player and the other with a wizard. So in the moment im stuck here but I need to go upstairs for a gold brick and to visit Dumbledores office. So the only turnable staircase is the first one when you get out of the dorm hallway. During the fouth year I was here and cleared the room with the rabbits, the car etc. But now there is no way up. Maybe I missing something. So I hope you can help me here out, because my motivation to start a new game is very low.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Not really, it doesn't matter how many back up saves I create, if it glitches I will not know where it glitched? So all the back up saves would be pointless due to as I said not knowing when it happened so therefore start the game again... Also why should I pay for a game created by a company that in all their games you potentially can get locked out of 100%, they know this yet they don't try to fix the issue in future games... To 100% any TT game it all comes on luck which as far as I'm aware shouldn't be like that.

So I got a problem here too. I finished the four years and now I looking for all collectibles in Hogwarts Free Roam. My problem is at the moving staircases. I can switch the first staircase by 90° and can go upward to the door where the three headed dog was in year one. Now there is a second staircase but this one is up in the air and I have no idea to bring it down. I can see on the far right two pictures. One with a quittich player and the other with a wizard. So in the moment im stuck here but I need to go upstairs for a gold brick and to visit Dumbledores office. So the only turnable staircase is the first one when you get out of the dorm hallway. During the fouth year I was here and cleared the room with the rabbits, the car etc. But now there is no way up. Maybe I missing something. So I hope you can help me here out, because my motivation to start a new game is very low.

Thanks

I've heard about this glitch, if it glitches on you that you are unable to go to upper levels on the staircase like your case, it's glitched. The only way to fix this is to load an old save up and start from there or start new game... This game sucks.

• 3 weeks later...

played EU Disk version (w/o patches), no glitches no freezes (PS3 Slim), was very worried about.

tips:

don't rush, finish story mode first, then cleanup everything in free play (skips cutscenes)

always wait until hdd indicator (+autosave icon) is gone, then move along, (also turned ON "V-Sync" ? in options) *not sure what that means anyway

backup frequently, also avoid/never quit game while it loading/reading disk (it applies to any games)

• 4 months later...

Since this glitch hasn't been mentioned yet I'm going to put it out there.

At the final level for Year 2, "The Basilisk", when you are at the point where you have to use Wingardium Leviosa to stab the Basilisk, if you slip and fall into the water, there is a high chance that the Basilisk will disappear. As a result, you can't complete the level and will have to replay it. If the sword falls down into the water, don't retrieve, just wait for it to respawn and try again. You need to place the sword where the stud is for the cutscene to initiate. If you wait to long, the Basilisk will disappear. So be precise and quick or be prepared for multiple aggravating playthroughs.

This is game is such a joy so far, can't wait to see what other "surprises" are waiting for me >_>

• 2 months later...
35 minutes ago, NebbyLunala said:

Ugh, they didn't fix any of the bugs in the PS4 version? That really stinks. It may cost me a $30 PSN card(I put it in the Platinum Pyramid). :(

Gonna check it on my old account before I make any decisions.

You'd think they would fix it but I guess they just wanted to rush it out. I don't think these will ever be corrected.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I constantly get a crash (BSOD) on free play in Hufflepuff tower (Year 1-4). I was getting it in the Slytherin room but it eventually let me play through. Anyone also struggling here? I’ve uploaded the game to the Plus account, made sure everything is updated, played as the normal characters, and moved super slow. It always seems to fail when I break the first glass flower. Any thoughts on how to fix/work around it without just replacing the hard drive? 

Edited by shortcuttie630