A step by step Trophy Guide

littlelostkiwi

Nice guide! In my clean up run I never died up untill second Lajos fight and that bugged the game out and stopped me from entering Blood moon phase thus blocking the Cruel Queen quest and having me start over again. So it might be good to try to die early on to trigger Blood moon and maybe have it actviated during Lajos 2 just to be sure. 

• Like 1

Thanks for this amazing guide, it really should have more visibility (hard to find on Google).

I know this is a Playstation forum, but I, like many others I assume, play this game via Xbox GamePass (on PC) and I'm having problems with backing my save and restoring it.

I know the saves are locally in C:\Users\yourname\AppData\LocalLow\Black Mermaid\Moonscars, so the backup part is okay.

Problem is when launching the game, it always connects to the cloud and download what's there and overwrite your local folder. So I have no way of using my backed up save. And after searching a bit, it does not seem possible to delete cloud save content.

Anyone having the same issue and found a workaround?

• Like 1

I can't speak specifically for PC, but isn't it possible to disable cloud syncing for specific games? It is on the PS5.

Otherwise, you could always disable your internet when starting the game (assuming you don't need to be online to launch it). I don't really know about the online requirements for gamepass

• Like 1

Yeah sorry for the confusion, cloud save is not the problem. After disabling my network card and finding out that it STILL starts back to the same location, I realized something was amiss. The folder mentioned above is where Steam put the samegame. On the xbox gamepass version, that folder also exists, but only contains the debug logs and config files. The actual savegame seems to be somewhere else (\AppData\Local\Packages\HumbleBundle.Moonscars_q2mcdwmzx4qja).

This means that I did NOT back up my savegame before killing the DoppleGanger ??. Oh well..

Thank you so much for writing this up, I haven't found information like it anywhere else, it's perfect. I wanted to play this game, but didn't want to worry about multiple playthroughs because I already have so many games I'm trying to get to. I'll buy it tonight and play this weekend!

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Kill-MC-Mildred said:

What's your rough opinion on the difficulty of the platinum? Thinking of grabbing this in the sale. 

Loved Blasphemous, just never got round to going for the plat

Overall it's on the easier side of Soulslikes, especially if you follow the couple of items of advice at the bottom of the guide above.

In terms of platinums, it's definitely easier than Blasphemous, or other alternatives such as Hollow Knight

• 2 weeks later...

@littlelostkiwi your mini roadmap is tremendously helpful so far. 2/3 done and everything worked as it should, thank you for this! 

I had a very hard time finding the incomplete mould, i think it was very well hidden. So if someone else here has trouble finding it, i created a little video with the exact location. Maybe it comes in handy for some of you ( please don't mind my shitty combat in the video it was getting late yesterday and i just wanted to capture the location really quick haha ? ) 

Incomplete Mould Location

Another quick thing i wanted to add: 

If someone has trouble reaching a ledge once you unlocked the dash jump, you probably equipped the amulet, which decreases dealt damage by enemies, but also decreases your move speed. I was stuck for an hour until i found a reddit post about the exact same issue. I was playing almost the whole run with this so i haven't realized that my jumps are too short. Maybe someone else stumbles upon this problem in the future. Just unequip the amulet and you should be good. Some gaps are too big while you have the amulet equipped.

Edited by DavySuicide
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2022 at 11:14 PM, littlelostkiwi said:

Having now plat'd this game, I thought I would post a mini-trophy guide since many of the trophies are missable.

First of all, thank you to the people that have provided advice in the forums. Also, here are some useful links:

Also, for those that aren't aware, when you die several times in a row, you enter Red Moon phase, where the game gets more difficult. This can be reversed at a portal using Glands, which can be found in set locations or occasionally dropped by enemies in the Red Moon Phase. Something to keep in mind if you are struggling with a boss and don't realize that you can make the encounter easier.

The step-by-step guide This post contains spoilers, obviously.

• Starting in the Castle Outskirts, make your way to the castle. Ensure you speak to Yarema between the Sacrifice Tutorial and Fortress portals.
  • Once reaching the Chamber portal in the Upper Castle, warp back to the Workshop and speak to Yarena again.
  • In the Upper Castle, make your way to the top, ensuring that you do the following:
    • Find the Milk Vessel and give it to the cat at the Etalag's Burrow portal
    • Find the NPC Adelinka and speak to her (failing to do so before going to the Lower Castle locks you out of a trophy)
    • Collect the Clayborne Part: Left Arm
  • Now progress down to the Lower Castle
  • Early in the lower Castle, you will meet Adelinka again, who will task you with finding earrings
    • These earrings only show in Red Moon phase
    • There are 77 in total and are marked on the map linked above
    • Personally, I waited towards the end of the game and revisited the areas and collected them in the sequence marked on the map, to ensure that I knew exactly which ones I had picked up
    • You hand her 11 for the first reward, 22 for the second reward, and 44 for the third reward, which also gives you the Child's Gift trophy. You cannot get all earrings until very near the end of the game.
  • In the Lower Castle, you will meet Princess Widwiga (the Red Queen), who gives you a key to access the 2nd boss.
  • After defeating the boss, you will acquire the ability to unlock special doors. Head back to the Workshop and pick up the Clayborn Part: Left Leg
  • Also after defeating the boss, return to Princess Widwiga and speak to Yarena who is by her side.
  • Also in the Lower Castle, near the Nursery Portal, you will find Karina locked away. Come back to her regularly (after each boss) to progress her storyline
  • Now head down to the depths, ensuring that you do the following:
    • Find the Milk Vessel and give it to the cat near the first portal
    • When entering the 2nd Portal (Great Mills), back to the workshop, backup your save before returning
      • When exiting the portal and given the option to spare the DoppleGanger, ignore it and kill them for the Inevitable Cruelty trophy
      • Now restore your save and spare them, which is required for a later trophy
    • Find the Hag's Right Eye
    • Find the Clayborne Part: Right Arm
    • Find the Clayborne Part: Right Leg
    • Speak to Yarema again near the Clayborne Part: Right Leg
    • Find the NPC Ion in the top left-hand corner and speak to him. Following that, speak to him again periodically at the workshop.
  • Now travel through the Earth Bounds: West region, ensuring you do the following:
    • Find the Hag's Left Eye near the end of the region.
  • Now travel through the Earth Bounds: East region, ensuring that you do the following:
    • Speak to Yarema at the far eastern side of the map
    • Collect the Incomplete Mould in the center top on the map
    • Find the Milk Vessel and give it to the cat at the Abyssal Warmth portal
    • If you encounter Horphyna, do not give her the Hag's eyes.
  • After defeating the final boss of the region (for the second time), the game will enter a permanent red phase.
  • Take a backup of your save file and do the following:
    • Go to Horphyna (the Hag) and give her the two eyes, exhausting all dialog
    • Travel to the Kilm (west of the boss you defeated) and talk to the Gargoyles twice, paying 10,000 dust each time to get two items
    • Return to the hag with the item to get the Joys of Motherhood trophy
  • Restore your save file and do the following:
    • Travel to the Kilm (west of the boss you defeated) and talk to the Gargoyles twice, paying 10,000 dust each time to get two items
    • Go to the Throne Hall portal in the Lower Castle and reassemble the king. Don't speak to him yet.
    • Go to the Workshop and speak to Yarema to get the Not The Same trophy
    • Return to the Red Queen and give her the Hag's Eyes and exhaust her Dialog
    • Return to the King who you reassembled. Speak to him three times, each time costing dust (30,000 total). This will award you with The King's Speech trophy
    • Reload the area and the King will now be a monster, who you need to kill for his head.
    • Also in this area, you can continue to visit Karina, above you. Continue to reload the area until she dies, awarding you with the No Place To Hide trophy
    • Return to the Red Queen and exhaust your dialog, where she informs you to journey to the Apex.
    • Speak to the NPC Ion again at the workshop, just to be certain that you have exhausted all of his dialog.
  • Travel through the Apex (above the Upper Castle), doing the following:
    • Talk to Yarema at the eastern side of the map, and pay him 10,000 dust
    • At the top of the tower, speak to him again, as well as the Red Queen
    • Shortly after that, you will reach a platform where your DoppleGanger will spawn, so long as you spared them in the Depths, awarding you the Aid From Yourself trophy.
    • To the left of this location is the point of no return. Do not proceed there until you have done the following:
      • Near the bottom of the map is the final portal. So long as you have fed the cat in all locations then you can speak to him again for the Feed the Cat trophy
      • Collect all remaining Earrings and return them to Adelinka to receive the Child's Gift's trophy
  • It might be worth taking a backup of your save before the point of no return, however, you should now have the following trophies remaining:
    • Cleft Moon
    • Finale
    • The Cruel Queen
    • Farewell, friend
  • Continue past the point of no return and beat the boss to get the Cleft Moon trophy.
  • After the boss is beaten, speak to Ion at the right and exhaust his dialog
  • Return to the Red Queen at the top of the Apex to get The Cruel Queen Trophy
  • In the workshop, travel to the new (very short) area where the last boss is.
  • In the corridor before the boss, speak to Ion for a final time to receive the Farewell, friend trophy
  • Kill the last boss for the Finale trophy and the Plat

Some other helpful advice.

• Learn to Parry! The timings are very forgiving.
  • Get the Amulet from the NPC in the Workshop that restores health on Parry (for 8K dust, from memory). It returns a large chunk of life on parry, and that, with the aforementioned tip of parrying, will carry you through the game.
  • Also, get the Statue Amulet from the same NPC. It's probably not worth equipping all of the time (since it makes you move slower), but it makes a tremendous difference against bosses. Enough different that you can almost go toe to toe with them while taking a few seconds to heal every now and again.

Is there a video trophy guide for this on youtube seem to cant found anything? The text guide just not working for me? 

• 9 months later...
On 10/25/2022 at 6:14 AM, littlelostkiwi said:

Having now plat'd this game, I thought I would post a mini-trophy guide since many of the trophies are missable.

First of all, thank you to the people that have provided advice in the forums. Also, here are some useful links:

Also, for those that aren't aware, when you die several times in a row, you enter Red Moon phase, where the game gets more difficult. This can be reversed at a portal using Glands, which can be found in set locations or occasionally dropped by enemies in the Red Moon Phase. Something to keep in mind if you are struggling with a boss and don't realize that you can make the encounter easier.

The step-by-step guide This post contains spoilers, obviously.

• Starting in the Castle Outskirts, make your way to the castle. Ensure you speak to Yarema between the Sacrifice Tutorial and Fortress portals.
  • Once reaching the Chamber portal in the Upper Castle, warp back to the Workshop and speak to Yarena again.
  • In the Upper Castle, make your way to the top, ensuring that you do the following:
    • Find the Milk Vessel and give it to the cat at the Etalag's Burrow portal
    • Find the NPC Adelinka and speak to her (failing to do so before going to the Lower Castle locks you out of a trophy)
    • Collect the Clayborne Part: Left Arm
  • Now progress down to the Lower Castle
  • Early in the lower Castle, you will meet Adelinka again, who will task you with finding earrings
    • These earrings only show in Red Moon phase
    • There are 77 in total and are marked on the map linked above
    • Personally, I waited towards the end of the game and revisited the areas and collected them in the sequence marked on the map, to ensure that I knew exactly which ones I had picked up
    • You hand her 11 for the first reward, 22 for the second reward, and 44 for the third reward, which also gives you the Child's Gift trophy. You cannot get all earrings until very near the end of the game.
  • In the Lower Castle, you will meet Princess Widwiga (the Red Queen), who gives you a key to access the 2nd boss.
  • After defeating the boss, you will acquire the ability to unlock special doors. Head back to the Workshop and pick up the Clayborn Part: Left Leg
  • Also after defeating the boss, return to Princess Widwiga and speak to Yarena who is by her side.
  • Also in the Lower Castle, near the Nursery Portal, you will find Karina locked away. Come back to her regularly (after each boss) to progress her storyline
  • Now head down to the depths, ensuring that you do the following:
    • Find the Milk Vessel and give it to the cat near the first portal
    • When entering the 2nd Portal (Great Mills), back to the workshop, backup your save before returning
      • When exiting the portal and given the option to spare the DoppleGanger, ignore it and kill them for the Inevitable Cruelty trophy
      • Now restore your save and spare them, which is required for a later trophy
    • Find the Hag's Right Eye
    • Find the Clayborne Part: Right Arm
    • Find the Clayborne Part: Right Leg
    • Speak to Yarema again near the Clayborne Part: Right Leg
    • Find the NPC Ion in the top left-hand corner and speak to him. Following that, speak to him again periodically at the workshop.
  • Now travel through the Earth Bounds: West region, ensuring you do the following:
    • Find the Hag's Left Eye near the end of the region.
  • Now travel through the Earth Bounds: East region, ensuring that you do the following:
    • Speak to Yarema at the far eastern side of the map
    • Collect the Incomplete Mould in the center top on the map
    • Find the Milk Vessel and give it to the cat at the Abyssal Warmth portal
    • If you encounter Horphyna, do not give her the Hag's eyes.
  • After defeating the final boss of the region (for the second time), the game will enter a permanent red phase.
  • Take a backup of your save file and do the following:
    • Go to Horphyna (the Hag) and give her the two eyes, exhausting all dialog
    • Return to the hag with the item to get the Joys of Motherhood trophy
  • Restore your save file and do the following:
    • Go to the Throne Hall portal in the Lower Castle and reassemble the king. Don't speak to him yet.
    • Go to the Workshop and speak to Yarema to get the Not The Same trophy
    • Return to the Red Queen and give her the Hag's Eyes and exhaust her Dialog
    • Return to the King who you reassembled. Speak to him three times, each time costing dust (30,000 total). This will award you with The King's Speech trophy
    • Reload the area and the King will now be a monster, who you need to kill for his head.
    • Also in this area, you can continue to visit Karina, above you. Continue to reload the area until she dies, awarding you with the No Place To Hide trophy
    • Return to the Red Queen and exhaust your dialog, where she informs you to journey to the Apex.
    • Speak to the NPC Ion again at the workshop, just to be certain that you have exhausted all of his dialog.
  • Travel through the Apex (above the Upper Castle), doing the following:
    • Talk to Yarema at the eastern side of the map, and pay him 10,000 dust
    • At the top of the tower, speak to him again, as well as the Red Queen
    • Shortly after that, you will reach a platform where your DoppleGanger will spawn, so long as you spared them in the Depths, awarding you the Aid From Yourself trophy.
    • To the left of this location is the point of no return. Do not proceed there until you have done the following:
      • Near the bottom of the map is the final portal. So long as you have fed the cat in all locations then you can speak to him again for the Feed the Cat trophy
      • Collect all remaining Earrings and return them to Adelinka to receive the Child's Gift's trophy
  • It might be worth taking a backup of your save before the point of no return, however, you should now have the following trophies remaining:
    • Cleft Moon
    • Finale
    • The Cruel Queen
    • Farewell, friend
  • Continue past the point of no return and beat the boss to get the Cleft Moon trophy.
  • After the boss is beaten, speak to Ion at the right and exhaust his dialog
  • Return to the Red Queen at the top of the Apex to get The Cruel Queen Trophy
  • In the workshop, travel to the new (very short) area where the last boss is.
  • In the corridor before the boss, speak to Ion for a final time to receive the Farewell, friend trophy
  • Kill the last boss for the Finale trophy and the Plat

Some other helpful advice.

• Learn to Parry! The timings are very forgiving.
  • Get the Amulet from the NPC in the Workshop that restores health on Parry (for 8K dust, from memory). It returns a large chunk of life on parry, and that, with the aforementioned tip of parrying, will carry you through the game.
  • Also, get the Statue Amulet from the same NPC. It's probably not worth equipping all of the time (since it makes you move slower), but it makes a tremendous difference against bosses. Enough different that you can almost go toe to toe with them while taking a few seconds to heal every now and again.

I've done everything until old hag when I have to give her the clay newborn and she just says leave my presence. It wont complete the quest.

I am sick of this missible, shity side quests. Now I need to play again from the beginning.

Edit: Even the Queen wont accept the eyes. She just repeats same thing as old hag. Something, somwhere is a miss. Even the King wont become the monster. Maybe one should talk to them often and do things before second Laos boss fight. After second Laos fight, everything is screwed up quests wise... Cant remember I played a game so poorly scripted and anoying as this.

Edit 2:

For the Red Queen, you need to be in Red Moon phase for it to give her eyes.

For the hag, you need to speak with her when you find her for the first time but dont give her eyes. Then kill Leos second time, give her eyes, then find newborn mould, go to the kiln and give her newborn clay.

Edited by Ptirle
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 11/23/2022 at 4:21 AM, Kill-MC-Mildred said:

What's your rough opinion on the difficulty of the platinum?

I would rate the game a 3 out of 10. I know this seems quite low for this kind of game but hear me out:

Provided you follow the mini-guide and the tips of the first post by littlelostkiwi you shouldn't have any problems with the fighting:

The 'Statue Amulet' can by bought very early on and with this you take very little damage, so you can tank and outdamage almost any enemy. Especially because you can almost heal any time. I never fully figured out the parrying system and avoided the other recommended amulet. Instead I used an amulet, which provided you with additional ichor everytime you get hit. For the third amulet I either used something to boost my (main)damage or to provide a second dash to accelerate the exploration.

Speaking of the exploration:

Luckily there is no trophy for completing the map and the collectibles are almost all very easy to find (most of them are even marked on your map); the only thing I struggled was earring # 68 in the last area on the far left side.

I am the first to admit that I am not very good at these games (2D-'Souls-Like') but I even managed to die only 3 times during my run: 2 times because of missed jumps in the last area and once because I was stupid and forgot how cogs work 😅

With the guide my time with the game was very enjoyable and after about 10 hours I got the platinum.

So thanks again littlelostkiwi for all your help!

• 2 months later...

This was quite helpful, thanks. Your guide, accompanied by demajen's fantastic map, provides all of the information necessary to obtain the platinum. In my case, it only took a little over 13 hours, and a great deal of that was spent getting my bearings in the more complex areas, such as the Castle Apex.

Despite the horror stories regarding high difficulty I recall reading everywhere at launch, it was much easier than similar titles like Blasphemous, and I can only assume that the game must've received a rebalancing update after release. Moonscars is so unchallenging, in fact, that I literally needed to repeatedly suicide into one of the game's sparse lethal pits at the end, just to unlock "Mould. Die. Repeat" as my final trophy. Surprising that the gameplay couldn't even subject me to ten natural deaths; I suppose one would have to intentionally play in the "Ravenous Moon" state constantly, and restrict themselves to using suboptimal amulet stones, in order to extract a more demanding experience from this otherwise decent action-platformer. Either that, or I've simply played far too many of these blasted things at this point.

For the most part, I kept the Statue Gemstone equipped, alongside damage-boosting ones like Fencer and Precise Cut. I've always preferred dodging over parrying or blocking in action games, and healing was almost never an issue, so the Leech stone would've been a squandered gem slot. As for Witcheries, I'd suggest maxing Stone Pillar and Chain Boulder, which came in handy countless times throughout my playthrough. Sweet Wanda was the only boss who managed to kill me, I believe. Otherwise, I foolishly got squashed by the gears in Depths a couple of times, but I'm pretty sure that the remainder of my deaths were caused by jumping off near the Great Bridge mirror on purpose, haha.

In any event, those who want a dark Metroidvania featuring Soulslike elements, but without provoking too much stress, should have an okay time with this one. Maybe play it on PS5, though, because the frame rate really chugged in certain areas on my PS4 Pro.