No longer able to log into PSN on PS3

kmosesltd

Good evening,

I apologize if this topic is in the wrong forum group. 

So this issue started for me yesterday (October 27, 2022) I had been playing regularly on my PS3 for months during the day, while playing on my PS5 at night. 

Yesterday morning, I walked out of the room and came back and my PS3 had rebooted unexpectedly, when I finished the unexpected reboot I was no longer logged into my PSN on my PS3. I tried to log in, without success for most of the day, trying everything possible. Checking my internet connections, trying a wired connection, a wireless connection, and even using my cell phone as a WiFi hotspot, with no luck at all. 

I was able to log into my PS3 on my ALT PSN account that I have with no issues at all. 

So I called Sony and they tried walking me through as much as possible but because they don't offer support for PS3 anymore they could only do so much and they suggested I send my PS3 out for repair at a cost.

After the call with Sony I did a soft factory restore and that didn't fix the issue and so I decided to do the full factory restore that takes 9.5 hours to complete. After that was complete (by the next day, today) I tried to log in again and it still won't let me log into my PSN on this PS3. I have no idea why. 

Has anyone ever seen this happen or heard this? 

A couple of things I should note. Everytime I try to log into my PSN the system automatically changes the time on my Playstation 3 back an hour for some reason. (Maybe because it doesn't recognize that day lights savings is a different date now for me). 

Everytime I try to log in I get the error code 8002A308. I did research it on google and I tried every work around I could think of, rebooting the modem, the router, hard restart the PS3 etc... 

Nothing has worked and I'm at my wits end, the only thing I haven't tried is attempting to log into another PS3 with my account. I am currently logged in on my PS5 with no issues at all so I don't know what the issue is. Sony has said that there are zero restrictions on my account with them too. 

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

1 minute ago, Rinku Starth said:

Just asking because you don´t mention it in your post. Do you have two factor authenticator in your account? Do you have the password generator for PS3 and PS VITA enabled?

I don't have two factor enabled. Whenever I try to log into my PS3 now I have to do that stupid device setup password thing. I don't have a password generator for PS3 and I don't own a PS Vita. 

1 minute ago, kmosesltd said:

I don't have two factor enabled. Whenever I try to log into my PS3 now I have to do that stupid device setup password thing. I don't have a password generator for PS3 and I don't own a PS Vita. 

Try to enable two factor authenticator with a cellphone number, that might fix it. Then use the device setup password

• Like 1

Just now, Rinku Starth said:

Try to enable two factor authenticator with a cellphone number, that might fix it. Then use the device setup password

I totally misunderstood your question before so apologies on that. I do actually have two-step verification enabled on my PSN account with my cell #. 

1 minute ago, fenris-lima said:

That's not how it works on the PS3. You need to go into your security settings on the web and generate a code to enable your PS3. That code will replace your password on PS3 login

Yes I try doing that and I keep getting the 8002A308 error code every single time but if I try my ALT account I have no issues whatsoever. 

12 minutes ago, TheRedMaverick said:

Try changing your date/time settings on the PS3 so that it doesn't update manually. Change 'Set Automatically' to 'Off' and then manually set the correct time/date. Try logging in after this and see if it works

I just tried your suggestion, while the time doesn't change now when I try to log in, it's still not letting me log in on my PS3. I even tried two different Device Setup Passwords. 

Just now, Rinku Starth said:

Another suggestion I found is to try to log in another PS3

I haven't tried that yet, at this moment I'm waiting for my brother to get home so I can try logging into my PSN on his PS3. In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out why my PS3 isn't working. 

Just now, Connie said:

Try connecting to a mobile hotspot on your ps3?

I tried that. I mention that in my original message. I can connect to the internet no problem, when I setup a network, the internet connects without issue. Its when I try to log into my PSN or connect to PSN that I am given error code 8002A308.

5 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

According to this Reddit Thread from yesterday, it looks like PSN is down for the PS3 in some areas:

Oh wow, so I am not alone. That's interesting. And intriguing that when I tried a google search for that error code, the reddit page didn't show up, in fact if I search right it still doesn't. But I commented and I made sure I get notifications if there is any updates to that thread. 

If I'm not the only one then maybe it is a server issue. Hopefully... 

28 minutes ago, kmosesltd said:

I just tried your suggestion, while the time doesn't change now when I try to log in, it's still not letting me log in on my PS3. I even tried two different Device Setup Passwords. 

Hopefully it's not outage related because that would suck...but you can try changing some of your network settings since you have nothing to lose. Some things you can try that might possibly help:

1. First go to Settings and Connection Status List under Network Settings. Make note of your:

A ) IP Address
B ) Subnet Mask
C ) Default Router

Now go to Internet Connection Settings under Network Settings and change the DNS servers in your PS3's network settings. So when you go to set up your network you do

Custom > Wired or Wireless (whichever you're using) > IP Address set to 'Manual' > Plug in your IP, Subnet, and Default Router numbers from above and enter 8.8.8.8 for Primary DNS and 8.8.4.4 for Secondary DNS (these are Google's DNS servers).

Use the default options for the rest and do a network test. Then try logging in after this

2. Follow the above steps except when entering your IP Address, change the last octet to a different number (so for example, if your IP originally was 192.168.0.24, try 192.168.0.91

3. Try DMZing an IP address on your network and then try setting your PS3 to this same IP address. To DMZ, you do the following:

A ) Log into your router by typing your default gateway IP address in the address box of any web browser (this will be the same IP as 'Default Router' on the PS3 so you can use that as reference.)

B ) The option for DMZ varies from router to router, so go through all of your tabs and look for anything that says 'DMZ'

C ) Once you find it, it will ask you to enter an IP address. You can make up any IP address here as long as it's within your network range (so for example, if your PS3 was originally set to 10.0.0.18, try entering 10.0.0.95). Basically you just need to change the last octet (number) to something unique.

D ) Back on the PS3, set your IP address to the very same IP you set in step C. Your PS3 is now DMZ'd. Hopefully you can log in after this

Edited by TheRedMaverick
  • Like 1

I’ve had a similar issue, which started two days ago. Sometimes I can’t login to PSN on PS3 and get the same error code (8002A308). After multiple attempts I can log in, but PSN acts weird. I can’t see some of my friends online and can’t receive invites/messages from friends. When I invite a friend to a game, I see other, random PSN IDs on my list of friends.

I tried resetting my router, restarting my console, etc. I also tried a second PS3 console and it’s the same. I’m convinced it’s an issue with PSN and I’m hoping the issue is resolved soon.

1 minute ago, TheRedMaverick said:

Hopefully it's not outage related because that would suck...but you can try changing some of your network settings since you have nothing to lose. Some things you can try that might possibly help:

1. First go to Settings and Connection Status List under Network Settings. Make note of your:

a ) IP Address
b ) Subnet Mask
c ) Default Router

Now go to Internet Connection Settings under Network Settings and change the DNS servers in your PS3's network settings. So when you go to set up your network you do

Custom > Wired or Wireless (whichever you're using) > IP Address set to 'Manual' > Plug in your IP, Subnet, and Default Router numbers from above and enter 8.8.8.8 for Primary DNS and 8.8.4.4 for Secondary DNS (these are Google's DNS servers).

Use the default options for the rest and do a network test. Then try logging in after this

2. Follow the above steps except when entering your IP Address, change the last octet to a different number (so for example, if your IP originally was 192.168.0.24, try 192.168.0.91

3. Try DMZing an IP address on your network and then try setting your PS3 to this same IP address. To DMZ, you do the following:

A ) Log into your router by typing your default gateway IP address in the address box of any web browser (this will be the same IP as 'Default Router' on the PS3 so you can use that as reference.

B ) The option for DMZ varies from router to router, so go through all of your tabs and look for anything that says 'DMZ'

C ) Once you find it, it will ask you to enter an IP address. You can make up any IP address here as long as it's within your network range (so for example, if your PS3 was originally set to 10.0.0.18, try entering 10.0.0.95). Basically you just need to change the last octet (number) to something unique.

D ) Back on the PS3, set your IP address to the very same IP you set in step C. Your PS3 is now DMZ'd. Hopefully you can log in after this

I tried all of these options except for the IP address, I didn't manually change the IP, only the DNS. I'll try that now. 

1 minute ago, Needles said:

I’ve had a similar issue, which started two days ago. Sometimes I can’t login to PSN on PS3 and get the same error code (8002A308). After multiple attempts I can log in, but PSN acts weird. I can’t see some of my friends online and can’t receive invites/messages from friends. When I invite a friend to a game, I see other, random PSN IDs on my list of friends.

I tried resetting my router, restarting my console, etc. I also tried a second PS3 console and it’s the same. I’m convinced it’s an issue with PSN and I’m hoping the issue is resolved soon.

I feel a little relieved that I am not the only one experiencing this issue to be honest. 

Unfortunately I did a hard factory restore on my PS3 so right now it's a big paper weight until I can get my PSN going again lol. I'll keep trying all the suggestions that every throws at me though!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, maisie666 said:

The ps3 2fa process wont work unless 2fa is enabled on Primary console.  It ll just give an error message when you enter the offered password on ps3.

I'm slightly confused... I have the two factor verification process activated on my Playstation account but I'm only seeing that when I look it up on the Playstations website. Maybe I'm super blind but where do i turn off the 2FA for the PS5 specifically? 

37 minutes ago, maisie666 said:

The ps3 2fa process wont work unless 2fa is enabled on Primary console.  It ll just give an error message when you enter the offered password on ps3.

I figured out how to disable the 2 step verification on my PS5... however... It still doesn't fix the issue, I still can't get into my PSN on my PS3