Gamestop dumpster diving

Frisendal

You could say the same about trophy hunting. yet this is a website dedicated to it. :P

Some people like to save money, this is how they choose to do it. Some people extreme coupon to save money. That doesn't mean it's stealing if it's not against the law.

Should have grabbed some protective clothing and thick gloves and taken it. That's the choice they make, they weigh the benefits (free stuff) vs the risk of there being something nasty or dangerous. Obviously the rewards outweigh the risks for them. It doesn't make it pathetic or stupid just because you are not willing to do something. It just makes it different from your personal worldview.

Interesting point. I have a question for you, would you dumpster dive for a few games?

seen the gamestop here throw away tons of DS games, ps2 games and even some 360 games. ( also some posters, empty cases etc)

for the fun of it i asked if i could have some they said no , bla bla (didn't really listen after the no) 

anyways, i noticed them scratching the games before they threw em away, and the ds games being broken with a hammer. if your gamestop does this too, then it's pretty much useless to go dumpster diving there.

• Like 1

Recycling products is something entirely different from just being a cheapskate and stealing other people's stuff. If you are wealthy enough to buy a TV and a PS3 you can afford videogames, if you can't then you have no business owning either of those. Either that or get a job where you earn more money.

When I was a teen I didn't have a lot of money to buy new furniture so why not pick up that couch sitting there at the end of the street? It was going to get thrown away anyways so might as well use it as I don't particularly enjoy sitting on the floor. But risking getting stung with a needle or injure yourself with any other sharp object that may reside in a dumpster is downright pathetic and plain stupid.

Bull, just because someone purchased a PlayStation or any other game console doesn't mean they have enough money to purchase a lot of games as well. I know people who were very poor growing up but they would put $5-10 from every paycheck aside so they could eventually buy something that would provide entertainment for them. You don't have to have a lot of money to buy a game console, you do have to have a fairly decent income to buy a lot of new games. 

Just because someone doesn't make a lot of money doesn't mean they "have no business" owning a game console or television. They have every right to purchase something that provides them entertainment and if you're on a budget, why not get something for free? Also, saying get a job that makes good money is a whole lot easier said than done, especially in America with our economy the way it is right now. 

Parker

• Like 1

Bull, just because someone purchased a PlayStation or any other game console doesn't mean they have enough money to purchase a lot of games as well. I know people who were very poor growing up but they would put $5-10 from every paycheck aside so they could eventually buy something that would provide entertainment for them. You don't have to have a lot of money to buy a game console, you do have to have a fairly decent income to buy a lot of new games. 

Just because someone doesn't make a lot of money doesn't mean they "have no business" owning a game console or television. They have every right to purchase something that provides them entertainment and if you're on a budget, why not get something for free? Also, saying get a job that makes good money is a whole lot easier said than done, especially in America with our economy the way it is right now. 

Parker

If you can afford a $300 console you can buy games. If you can't then perhaps you need to get your priorities straight. If you are poor you shouldn't waste money on luxury products.

There is always work to be found, it just depends on how picky you are.

If you can afford a $300 console you can buy games. If you can't then perhaps you need to get your priorities straight. If you are poor you shouldn't waste money on luxury products.

There is always work to be found, it just depends on how picky you are.

If you've saved up for months to buy a console that doesn't mean you can drop $60 at the drop of a hat to get games too. I'd say if someone has spent the time to save up money to where they can afford the console, they have their priorities straight. Being poor sucks, but just because you don't make a lot of money that doesn't mean you don't deserve to have a few luxury items to come home and relax with. If someone isn't paying bills and is in debt, yeah, they need to get their shit together and do something about it.

Out of curiosity, when was the last time you were in the market for a job in America? There is always work to be done, true, but it can be extremely hard to come by especially if you aren't college educated and unfortunately for a lot of people a college education simply cannot work out.

Parker 

I hate the whole 'get your priorities right' bullshit going down. People buy a console to get distraction. Who needs more distraction, someone on high wages who can take the family out at the weekends, or the dude already pulling as much as possible on his wages just to put food on the table? I'm not sure where it's a priority issue if you are putting a little aside each month. And hell, this could also keep the whole family occupied, you never know, make them feel a little less run down.

I came from a very poor family, you know what, I sold off a lot of stuff and mowed lawns and all sort of shit to get a console. Luckily I had friends with games, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to afford to play with more than 1 game. Thing is that money could've been spent on less 'luxury' but why can't someone with not much money actually enjoy something that isn't just the next piece of bread on the table ?

In regards to topic - nothing wrong with grabbing stuff for free. Never look a gift horse in the mouth and all that.

• Like 1

If you've saved up for months to buy a console that doesn't mean you can drop $60 at the drop of a hat to get games too. I'd say if someone has spent the time to save up money to where they can afford the console, they have their priorities straight. Being poor sucks, but just because you don't make a lot of money that doesn't mean you don't deserve to have a few luxury items to come home and relax with. If someone isn't paying bills and is in debt, yeah, they need to get their shit together and do something about it.

Out of curiosity, when was the last time you were in the market for a job in America? There is always work to be done, true, but it can be extremely hard to come by especially if you aren't college educated and unfortunately for a lot of people a college education simply cannot work out.

Parker 

I hate the whole 'get your priorities right' bullshit going down. People buy a console to get distraction. Who needs more distraction, someone on high wages who can take the family out at the weekends, or the dude already pulling as much as possible on his wages just to put food on the table? I'm not sure where it's a priority issue if you are putting a little aside each month. And hell, this could also keep the whole family occupied, you never know, make them feel a little less run down.

I came from a very poor family, you know what, I sold off a lot of stuff and mowed lawns and all sort of shit to get a console. Luckily I had friends with games, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to afford to play with more than 1 game. Thing is that money could've been spent on less 'luxury' but why can't someone with not much money actually enjoy something that isn't just the next piece of bread on the table ?

In regards to topic - nothing wrong with grabbing stuff for free. Never look a gift horse in the mouth and all that.

Couldn't disagree more, if you have to resort to diving into filthy dumpsters so you can play new games you are doing something wrong with your life. Just so I don't come across as some arrogant condescending prick I shall try to explain why:

I have slept on the streets as a young boy, all the posessions that I had was the clothes I was wearing on my body. I have worked at the most boring, shitty and underpaid menial jobs you could possibly think of for 60-70 hours a week just so I could afford my rent, schoolbooks and pay my college tuition. There was no money for bullshit products like videogames, that is called getting your priorities straight. There are more important things in life. If you don't have the cash to buy cheap used games to play on your fancy console and your HD TV you are living way above your standards, go read a book or something. Don't go telling me the economy is poor, there is always work to be found. College degree or not.

Couldn't disagree more, if you have to resort to diving into filthy dumpsters so you can play new games you are doing something wrong with your life. Just so I don't come across as some arrogant condescending prick I shall try to explain why:

I have slept on the streets as a young boy, all the posessions that I had was the clothes I was wearing on my body. I have worked at the most boring, shitty and underpaid menial jobs you could possibly think of for 60-70 hours a week just so I could afford my rent, schoolbooks and pay my college tuition. There was no money for bullshit products like videogames, that is called getting your priorities straight. There are more important things in life. If you don't have the cash to buy cheap used games to play on your fancy console and your HD TV you are living way above your standards, go read a book or something. Don't go telling me the economy is poor, there is always work to be found. College degree or not.

Just because someone is choosing to "dumpster dive" doesn't even really mean they can't afford to buy new games, as stated before it is a hobby to many people and just because they choose to do something you wouldn't personally do doesn't make it sad or pathetic, which was the original point that was trying to be made and we're getting off topic now. 

And the economy is poor, that is a fact. Nowhere did I state it was impossible to find a job, in fact I agreed with you that there are jobs out there but it doesn't change the fact that in some areas they are extremely difficult to come by. But since you brought it up again, when was the last time you tried to find a job in America? Experiencing something first hand is a bit different than just saying it. 

Parker

Just because someone is choosing to "dumpster dive" doesn't even really mean they can't afford to buy new games, as stated before it is a hobby to many people and just because they choose to do something you wouldn't personally do doesn't make it sad or pathetic, which was the original point that was trying to be made and we're getting off topic now. 

And the economy is poor, that is a fact. Nowhere did I state it was impossible to find a job, in fact I agreed with you that there are jobs out there but it doesn't change the fact that in some areas they are extremely difficult to come by. But since you brought it up again, when was the last time you tried to find a job in America? Experiencing something first hand is a bit different than just saying it. 

Parker

I am not sure what you are trying to say, I've never been to the USA but I can assure you unemployment rates in Europe are higher than in the States.

Anyhow, the great thing about having a philosophy is that there is no right or wrong just like you are saying. I do respect you guys' opinions, I just see things differently which is fine :)