Clunky or unplayable?

polar_bst

Now that the main trilogy is on the system I want to give them a go (for the first time) I have seen many comments over the internet saying the series was "clunky even for their time" and that actually doesn't bother me because I think if you like something you can give a pass to the controls/design BUT as much as you like something if the game is straight up infuriating to play it just isn't worth the time so my question is: 

In your experience how clunky are the games? 

Edited by polar_bst

From playing the first two entries, I wanna say they're clunky enough to really capture what playing on the PS1 was like back then. In my observations, the camera was inverted and heavy as hell to where pushing left or right barely made a difference in combat when enemies are rushing towards you and you are trying to line up your character or ADS to shoot. Because it's an old game, the controls don't feel as responsive either, with the worst part for me being how aiming felt so slow with the right stick trying to shoot an enemy before you get headshotted or lose some health unnecessarily trying to aim your gun at them. At least in these games, you can change the button inputs to make the games easier to play. Moving your character is also clucky as hell cause I would often times end up running into a wall while trying to run around a corner, let alone trying to roll away from an explosive just to get caught by the wall. Speaking about rolling, there's this unreasonably noticeable pause at the end of each roll animation that makes it seem like i'm not moving or I got stuck on something, which worried me the most in my playthroughs. Aside from all that, I will say the games are clunky, but they're not intolerable to play either. I'm just hoping Syphon Filter 3 improves on these aspects or at least doesn'y feel as clunky on the controls as the last 2 games were.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, polar_bst said:

Now that the main trilogy is on the system I want to give them a go (for the first time) I have seen many comments over the internet saying the series was "clunky even for their time" and that actually doesn't bother me because I think if you like something you can give a pass to the controls/design BUT as much as you like something if the game is straight up infuriating to play it just isn't worth the time so my question is: 

In your experience how clunky are the games? 

I agree with the other guys point a lot. My biggest issue was aiming and funny enough walking through doors took me several tries. It's not infuriating to me but definitely takes time to get use to

• Like 2

I played the dog piss out of Syphon Filter 1 as a kid and had a blast jumping back in (with trophies!!). Never really played the sequel but enjoyed it as well. Looking forward to doing 3 here soon.

It definitely shows its age and the voice acting is hilarious. Controls I'm so used to but it's definitely not as refined as a modern day 3rd person shooter. 

Really the only thing that I can say kinda bothered me was not knowing what to do sometimes but ancient guides on FAQ sites made quick work of it. As short as these games are I'd say go for it!

• Like 4

It's honestly not that clunky. Takes like an hr to get used to and the controls start to make sense. This was my first time through the trilogy and had a pretty great time. SF3 in particular felt really good control-wise cause I was so used to it at this point. Sadly, most people seem to be opting for that 10-minute plat strategy instead of playing it.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2023 at 7:58 PM, sepheroithisgod said:

It's honestly not that clunky. Takes like an hr to get used to and the controls start to make sense. This was my first time through the trilogy and had a pretty great time. SF3 in particular felt really good control-wise cause I was so used to it at this point. Sadly, most people seem to be opting for that 10-minute plat strategy instead of playing it.

Well I hope raises your spirits to know I will play it legit. Not interested in ending the trilogy by cheesing it. ?

I have played the games on the ps1 many years ago and they were fine. They are obviously not perfect as modern games are, but in no way bad as people says. 

I think that most of the criticism come from people who started playing with the last two or three gens, from ps3 or something like that. 

I don't want to be like Abe Simpsons in the meme who yells at the clouds, but yeah, they probably are too young to remember real clunky and unplayable games. It was good then and is still good now. 

• Like 2

Well it is clunky in the way that you can't just switch from a modern game and expect to hit headshots every time because you did that in the newest FPS. Even if you're used to modern controls, movement is easy to adjust to but adjusting to the aiming takes much more time. 

I've played these games back in the day and back then they didn't feel weird at all, but after playing the first game a few months ago... It's playable, fun, but awkward and sometimes annoying. I can definitely see why someone who didn't play them when they were released might drop them after half an hour and call them shit. 

• 3 weeks later...

It's weird for those who are playing modern 60 FPS shooter games since this game is old, runs at 30 fps and the movement isn't smooth as an actual game.

However... i remember back days playing this game a lot with my brother, unlocking all the stages reading monthly magazines from new PS1 games.

• Like 1

The first two games were my first experience of PS1 gaming, as the lad who sold me the console threw them in as part of the deal. Was certainly strange going back nearly quarter of a century on! Never actually got round to SF3 at the time... certainly the rewind function makes it a lot less frustrating than it could be.