I really liked this one.

ThatMuttGuy

A lot of games back in the late 80's were still trying to find the formula that works. Look at the likes of Zelda 2 and Castlevania Simon's Quest, both games taking a different approach before reverting back to what they did fo the first game. 

It's a shame because of then the leveling up, FF2 is a really solid game story wise

My issue with this game is it’s so half baked. Ideas were improved in Saga titles, but Akitoshi Kawazu never gets it right, and leaves what feels like an unfinished product. 

(I’m saltier than usual because I’ve been looking for an Iron Giant for the better part of two hours.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

yeah im not really sure why this one gets so much hate. I know theres the meme of just hitting yourself to get stronger but you dont have to play that way lmao. im about halfway through havent grinded besides naturally occurring random encounters and love it so far.

the encounter rate is very high though I will admit if you play without taking advantage of the turn off encounters option

Edited by Billiam4125

the dungeon design was crappy. Basically the same structure -- pseudo maze with a few doors,  most empty, and a few forks that lead to chests. With a high encounter rate, it's very tedious towards the end. 

But i did like the game. 

Edited by k1ttyloaf

just beat it most of my spells were only level 5 except cure was like 10. hp was like 2500 ish firion was level 13 with swords. Couldnt beat the final boss unless I used blood sword otherwise im sure I woulda had to grind a bit I tried it initially without and got stomped. But everything else in the game was pretty easy. Only times I game overed were getting full party turned to stone like once or twice. Still enjoyed it though was pretty fun. Woulda liked more of a consistent challenge though with this type of game play maybe ill check out the saga series like a previous poster said

Just finished FF2; happy to say I actually like the game now, or the PR version at the very least thanks to the boosts and random encounter toggles that made all the backtracking tolerable.

In fact I'd even say I'm slightly bummed that Soul of Rebirth isn't in this version; my Ricard somehow turned into a chad able to keep up with the main three who left massive shoes Leon wasn't able to fill, so it would've been fun playing through more of the game with him.

• 3 weeks later...

I think people usually give RPG's a hard time if it doesn't have the traditional level up system that they're used to. I've seen people give VIII a very hard time, and to a lesser extent X as well. I think the hate with the original is justified with how grindy it is, but the ability to boost it to your liking with this one redeems it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...