P3: pelagia14's Platinum Pilgrimage

pelagia14

11 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

haha - these are dope!

They somehow make Mass Effect feel like it's filtered through the Outer Worlds lens - and I dig the novel use of a photo-mode!

This makes me really curious what you could end up doing if you ever play Plague Tale: Requiem.... that's got some amazing environments, but a bit of simplistic photo mode...

...but thats something I suspect some post-game creativity could fix 😜

Ah, thanks so much! I was definitely inspired when I was looking through my ME1 screenshots, and I'm tempted to make one for each visitable planet in ME1 at some point. I'll just have to figure out one or two phrases that I can rotate with "Welcome to [adjective + location]" and "Come visit [adjective + location]". 😂

A Plague Tale: Innocence is in my backlog, and I do plan on getting A Plague Tale: Requiem at some point when it goes on sale. I'm definitely intrigued to see what kind of creativity will strike me whenever I get around to playing it!

Side note - I read through your ME1 review yesterday and I love that you are part of the 20-30% of us that play as fem!Shepard~! 🥳

• Like 2

On 8/28/2023 at 10:51 AM, pelagia14 said:

If we go back to 2005, while some of the original lyrics can still fit into the melody when sung, the newer translation gives a much more authentic opera tone. 

SNES: "What shall I do? / I'm lost without you.

PR: "Were you only here / To quiet my fear..."

Well, I think it's safe to say you are way more technically aware of music than I am lol The funny thing about what I quoted was that line there was one of my bigger gripes with the change 😅 I thought it flowed well with the music and saw no need to change it...but again that's coming from 100% my 13 year old self who fell in love with the Locke and Celes love story and the 42 year old self that has that music as my alarm clock.

I didn't realize until I looked up the 'new' lyrics that it had been changed that long ago, but since I had never played any of the ports, I had no idea and was pretty stunned. It really wasn't that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. There was only one part that I could never get the song to match the words in the SNES version, but I let that go.

Great job on the ME plat as well. I played that series for the first time a couple of years ago and it was one of my favorite series ever. I played as male Shep. I usually play the male role since it's easier for me to role play, but I do plan on playing as fem Shep when I do the new versions. I bought them on release and then realized I wanted to put some time in between my playthroughs. Tali is my girl.

I actually enjoyed Andromeda quite a bit, but I know that one was not very popular with the masses. I don't think that one will get the remaster treatment, but I do hope we get more of that story some day.

9 hours ago, Briste said:

Well, I think it's safe to say you are way more technically aware of music than I am lol The funny thing about what I quoted was that line there was one of my bigger gripes with the change 😅 I thought it flowed well with the music and saw no need to change it...but again that's coming from 100% my 13 year old self who fell in love with the Locke and Celes love story and the 42 year old self that has that music as my alarm clock.

I mean, I don't actually know what makes opera music feel like opera music... but the new version's lyrics sound more like how someone would talk a few hundred years ago versus today (at least based on literature, lol), so it has a more historical vibe to it. I guess that's what I was trying to put my finger on earlier but couldn't find the words for. 

And again, I absolutely understand being attached to the original version. Were they to change the Latin lyrics in One-Winged Angel to different Latin lyrics (not even English ones), I would be super annoyed even if there was a good reason behind it.

9 hours ago, Briste said:

Great job on the ME plat as well. I played that series for the first time a couple of years ago and it was one of my favorite series ever. I played as male Shep. I usually play the male role since it's easier for me to role play, but I do plan on playing as fem Shep when I do the new versions. I bought them on release and then realized I wanted to put some time in between my playthroughs. Tali is my girl.

I actually enjoyed Andromeda quite a bit, but I know that one was not very popular with the masses. I don't think that one will get the remaster treatment, but I do hope we get more of that story some day.

Tali has such an amazing character arc throughout the trilogy, she's definitely one of my favorite squadmates of the entire series! I'm actually about to do her recruitment mission in ME2 and I'm very excited to get her back on the team again~

Yeah, Andromeda definitely had a rough launch which really soured a lot of people. Even after getting past the bugs and glitches, a lot of people seemed to be very let down by the story. I'm still going to play it at some point for a chance to get more worldbuilding and lore for my favorite space opera. Plus I'm curious to learn about the Angara race.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

LH208aca.jpg

Platinum #99 | Yoku's Island Express

Developer: Villa Gorilla, 2018

Time Played: 12h

Platinum Earned: 8 September 2023

Rating: 6/10

PREMISE:

You play as Yoku, a dung beetle who is the new postmaster of Mokumana Island. With the aid of the trusty pinball that Yoku always rolls around, you'll explore the island as you look to save the island from whatever attacked its island deity. This is all while delivering a backlog of mail to the island's post boxes and completing sidequests to unlock more areas get new abilities help the island's inhabitants. The game is a unique hybrid of pinball mechanics and Metroidvania-based platform exploration.

Note: For anyone interested in checking out Yoku's Island Express, the PS Store does contain a Demo!

GAME THOUGHTS:

The only reason I picked up this game was in order to fill the Pinball category in the "Platinum Every Genre" PSNP Event, and it was a frequently-used non-shovelware choice for many other participants. Plus I bought it during the current 75-80% sale, so I figured even if it was mediocre I was paying less than $5 for it. 

JOINING GENRES

Right off the bat, I have to say that I had no idea that fusing the Pinball and Metroidvania genres together could work so well! When I booted this game up the other day, my plan was to play it for an hour or so that night before bed as a nice break from Mass Effect 2 and Hades, and then I could continue to play a few hours of Yoku's Island Express here and there over the next few weeks when I wanted to switch things up. Suddenly it's past midnight, and my brain has spent over three hours telling me to explore just one more little section of the map (and then a final one, then the last one, well just one more... #neurodivergent). Yoku's Island Express was great at giving me constant little hits of dopamine, whether it was reaching a new area of the map, finding a hidden Wickerling collectible, or unlocking a new traversal ability that would let me finally access things I had previously discovered. 

The game's controls are very simple: You can move Yoku left or right. :l2: moves blue pinball paddles and 'jump' platforms, and :r2: moves yellow pinball paddles/platforms. Platforms that are striped both blue and yellow can be operated with either :l2: or :r2:. A few upgrades also use those buttons, and there is :cross: to swim down once you get that ability. :triangle: opens your map, and :square: opens your inventory backpack or lets you swap to a zoomed-out map view. Those are all the controls that you need. 

PLAYING PINBALL

Let's talk about the pinball portion of the gameplay You don't have any lives to keep track of - which is super nice, and if Yoku ever falls below the pin paddles in a section, there is a 'jump' platform that can boost Yoku back into play. Some pinball segments have "Scarabs" that slowly open up when you get all of the lights in a section of the screen to light up. Most of the Scarabs are pretty easy to unfurl/open. I'd hazard that for people with super-fast reflexes the challenge is almost trivial. For someone like me who has pretty decent hand-eye coordination, a couple of the Scarabs did require a bit more patience opening but they never felt impossible.

G8QWjZM.jpg 5xyayMU.jpg

Examples of "pinball" areas

This is of course helped out by the fact that the game does not try to employ 100% realistic physics. The momentum of your pinball is rarely a problem, even when it sometimes should be, but it's also not to the point where it feels immersion-breaking. One fun twist to traditional pinball mechanics is that, while Yoku is normally pulled along by the pinball due to a rope that is... somehow attached to it, when the pinball has little to no momentum you can actually have Yoku push it a little bit. Granted that only works on less-steep angles, but it is still sometimes helpful!

I really wished that they integrated a few little surprises/secret places with the Pinball mechanics, though. I remember 3D Pinball Space Cadet on Windows XP, where there were wormholes you could enter after you lit up all the lights of specific targets. While Yoku's Island Express has some hidden areas for you to find, none of them are accessed via a Pinball mechanic, which I find really disappointing. Most pinball segments in Yoku's Island Express only have one or two areas with target lights to illuminate, and you just get extra fruit (currency) when you illuminate a full set. While I enjoyed the more laid-back gameplay, it would have been nice to have a bit more complexity in more of the pinball segments.

METROIDVANIA MECHANICS

Between pinball segments, Yoku is able to platform to different areas thanks to the pinball 'jump' platforms (boosters? I don't know what to call them) that I mentioned previously. You can also unlock a few 'quick-travel' routes that go to various sections of the island. Those routes (and your ability to hop off at specific stops scattered along them) were super nice for returning to areas or quest-givers once you unlocked new abilities. The game has a couple of areas that are more hidden, but I was still able to find all of them without needing the assistance of a guide. Despite my love of exploration in games, I normally need a guide to find at least a couple of hidden areas with collectibles. 

KC4GNqA.jpg 1FbL0v1.jpg

Examples of "traversal" areas. Side note - regional environmental design was very well done!

GODDAMN SLUGS

At one point fairly early on, you earn the ability to 'vacuum' up slugs as if you were Kirby and then instantaneously somehow wrap them around Yoku's pinball (don't ask me how). The pinball can then be rolled or shot at gucky rocks that block some pinball passages or traversal rail segments, since the slugs explode when they come into contact with the gucky stuff. I played through the whole story and just had some seemingly impossible-to-reach collectibles when I pulled up a Collectibles Guide and finally discovered that you can actually also use the exploding slugs to gain access to those areas I was having trouble with! Once you collect an exploding slug, after about 10 seconds it will detonate even if you don't launch it at guck. When you are in a traversal spot instead of inside a pinball segment, that explosion will launch Yoku a couple of feet up in the air - like a convoluted jumping mechanic. 😂 I honestly don't know why/how I missed this game mechanic. 

I was absolutely fine with the exploding slug mechanic inside the pinball segments, but quickly came to despise them when it came to using them in the traversal areas to access out-of-reach areas for collectibles. You blast off in the direction opposite of the slug, but you can't spin the ball in place so trying to get the right angle AND the right positioning was frustrating. And of course for every failure, you have to go reacquire a slug (plus get back to where you need to be before it detonates). One treasure chest in the snowy region (see screenshot below) especially frustrated me. I had a video paused at the moment right before detonation and was trying to replicate their pinball placement and slug angle. After trying that a good 20 times, I decided that it would be less frustrating to just keep racing through to grab a slug, get to approximately the spot needed + approximate slug angle, and eventually get lucky. That probably took another 15 attempts before I was successful, but it was also the worst instance I experienced.

He3lGKN.jpg

There's a reason I opened this chest last... 😒

TIP: For anyone reading this who still needs to get the collectibles that require exploding slugs, I found it especially helpful to roll into the nearest pink "save" flower beforehand. Especially for areas where a failed slug attempt can launch you dozens or hundreds of feet below, like ones on the snowy mountain, you can quickly pause and reload to the last checkpoint (pink flower) to save yourself the return trip back to where you were. 

Another traversal mechanic that you unlock later on is the "Sootling Leash", which lets your pinball get "eaten" by the plant and sends you spinning around it until you have it release your pinball. Climbing up the big tree of carnivorous plants to get to the mountaintop took me SO MANY attempts. I had difficulty properly timing when to release Yoku from them since my eyes would often be tracking Yoku (trailing behind the pinball) versus the pinball itself. And in most areas, if I failed it wasn't a huge deal because I dropped maybe 5-15 feet and could get back to it almost instantly. But having to successfully chain 8-10 of the plants was terrible (even with the 'shortcut' on the mountainside part way through).

u55Vm7D.jpg

I missed probably 40 times on this tree. 🥲

NARRATIVE

As hinted in the premise of this write-up, Yoku's Island Adventure has a story that you follow through. It's pretty standard - you need to get the leaders together to help with the big island problem, but none of them are able or willing to leave their regions until you Complete Their Favors™️. While the game's story is pretty boilerplate for a platform/adventure game, it does its job of providing you with reasons to explore the island and complete quest objectives.  Each region has a pinball boss fight, which are all well-executed and each has a unique mechanic. I enjoyed the Screetch one the best.

Ld7I1Y6.jpg

Yoku delivering some late mail around the island!

NOISEMAKER

Sadly, I couldn't fully enjoy the great soundtrack due to how loud the noisemaker is, even when I lowered "sound effects" to something like 20% but left "music" at its default 100% setting. The noisemaker seems like a gag, but it's how Yoku is able to unearth the Wickerling collectibles when you come across them. The noise can also magically break open objects on the ground in traversal areas that usually contain fruit. This sound effect is much louder than the rest of the game's audio, so even after adjusting the game's sound settings I had my TV volume a bit lower than normal to prevent the party horn/party blower/noisemaker sound from being too loud. Towards the end of the game when I had explored everything, I was able to increase my TV's audio to enjoy the soundtrack since I almost never needed the noisemaker anymore, but it's a shame that the game's sound mixing led me to this issue. On the positive side, the game's soundtrack and other audio effects are really well done. 

OVERALL THOUGHTS

I ranked this game as a 6/10, looking at what previous games I had ranked as 8's, 7's, and 6's. Honestly, anything that I rank as a 5 or higher is a game that I would recommend to at least some gamers. Yoku's Island Express is worth experiencing for its unique fusion of pinball and platforming Metroidvania gameplay. The pinball mechanics are accessible to those of us who don't often play this type of game (though hardcore pinball players will probably be left a bit disappointed). The soundtrack is fun, the regional areas stand apart from each other in their designs, and it's a fun game to play when you want to take a break from more intense games or longer platinum journeys. 

RANDOM THOUGHTS

• I loved that you could purchase 'maps' that would show the locations of any missable collectibles on the game's map.
  • It was great that we could toggle to a zoomed-out mode of the map, but I also wished that we could have had a zoomed-in mode as well. Sometimes I was trying to figure out my route to return to a specific spot, and it could be hard to differentiate a few similar-looking areas at the standard view level of the map.
  • The ability to customize your pinball is adorable! I only wished I had realized that I could do so much earlier in my playthrough, but that's on me.
  • The healing ritual's magical instruments essentially being kazoos made me laugh.
  • I fell into the thorns below pinball paddles exactly 169 times. 

jlY9ssN.jpg

FAVORITE...

Trophy Image:

20S85143a.png Fancy Beetle

Trophy Moment:

9S071002.png Coup de grace

Screenshots:

PFiBy0D.jpgZV4PAMh.jpg0q3GrKd.jpg

fitNLJE.jpgQZIQFSb.jpgc1F3GdR.jpg

yA7mx1R.jpgoZ3olrw.jpg8E8VaVc.jpg

• Like 4

Phenomenal job with this! Hades is such a funny game in my memory. It was from a studio that I LOVED, it received rave reviews before I played it, I played it, absolutely loved it, and yet in hindsight... I almost feel like a filthy casual ranking it as my #1 all-time. Like: "oh OF COURSE you like Hades THAT much" but like... it's THAT GOOD MAN!!!! I don't know why I feel sheepish in praising it. it is a game that ticks off every single one of my boxes and reading your fantastic experience with it (while listening to the songs linked in the background :D) reminded me of that. The undeniable ADDICTIVENESS is unreal. But it's not a shady, manipulative fashion that has you feeling gross afterward. It's the good kinda narcotic. The "damn I gotta stop but I'll be back for more later". I can't get over how gorgeous it looks even now. I LOVE your stats and images included. I compared a fair amount of them to my own. You and I have 2 of the same Top 3 (Artemis & Poseidon). I thought it was kinda interesting we both used the Adament Rail the least. How freaking generous of them to literally look at every run you've ever had of the game neatly documented whenever you want to reflect? Seriously... the only other game I know that does that is Slay the Spire. 

That's my favorite review of yours to date. Keep up the great work and can't wait for more Mass Effect reviews!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, realm722 said:

Phenomenal job with this! Hades is such a funny game in my memory. It was from a studio that I LOVED, it received rave reviews before I played it, I played it, absolutely loved it, and yet in hindsight... I almost feel like a filthy casual ranking it as my #1 all-time. Like: "oh OF COURSE you like Hades THAT much" but like... it's THAT GOOD MAN!!!! I don't know why I feel sheepish in praising it. it is a game that ticks off every single one of my boxes and reading your fantastic experience with it (while listening to the songs linked in the background :D) reminded me of that. The undeniable ADDICTIVENESS is unreal. But it's not a shady, manipulative fashion that has you feeling gross afterward. It's the good kinda narcotic. The "damn I gotta stop but I'll be back for more later". I can't get over how gorgeous it looks even now.

Now that I have the game's platinum, I went and read your review! Perhaps you feel like a "filthy casual" ranking it as your GOAT because you already knew you would love the game before you started playing it? There are a lot of people who will say that their favorite game franchise or studio is perfect and infallible, refusing to acknowledge when a few weak points exist. But if a game objectively is the greatest (😉😂), then we aren't being filthy casuals by saying it's the greatest. 

In regards to your review, I loved how you elaborated that the game allows the narrative to influence the roguelike gameplay loop. Looking back at my runs, it's wild that I finished the main story on Run 77 and so 47% of my runs were endgame. The gameplay loop is just so satisfying, that even when you've achieved Zagreus' goal, you can't put the game down yet! I completely agree with you on how phenomenally Hades' character growth was done.

Your ranking of all the characters was incredible!

• Regarding Hades' many capes - he has to burn them at the beginning of each fight because he's got some of that Olympian Drama™️ in him! 😂)
  • I'll admit to being surprised that Chaos ranked so highly for you, but I suppose it's because I would only visit Chaos in the first half of a level, and if he didn't spawn right at Tartarus Room 1, he seemed to really like to spawn 2-3 rooms away from a level's boss for me!
  • I found it interesting that Zeus ranked much lower on your list - though your commentary didn't mention what it was about his Boons that you weren't drawn to. 
  • I forgot to mention Charon in my review! I loved his secret fight, but I only was able to attempt it 4 times. After I first discovered it sometime after defeating Hades I would frequently check to see if I could steal his money, but it seems to have an incredibly low spawn rate.
  • I hadn't realized that Aphrodite's Aid was so powerful - I'll have to give it a proper chance in the future! 
  • Yoooo the idea of Sisyphus randomly showing up in other realms would have been awesome! Especially since by that point, the player is long past finding his upgrades vital within Tartarus. 

Weapons! Gosh, sometimes I wish PSNP had a "Save Post Draft" feature for threads where one is the OP because I ended up getting unexpectedly very tired towards the end of my review. It's why my rankings of the gods are so short - I didn't feel like copying everything back into Google Docs and having to reformat it once again, though my tired brain forgot about weapons. The Spear was my favorite weapon, very different from your experience! I enjoyed how I could attack from a slight distance - though admittedly, I almost never used the charged-up attack. The aspect that allowed for "launch the spear and then fly to it" was probably my favorite. Once I figured out how to use Shield effectively it ranked super high - especially when I had Athena's Divine Dash to reflect attacks - and it probably tied with Bow for my second place. 

Posting your Security Log and Permanent Runs was awesome! An 18-minute clear feels insane to me, kudos on that! My fastest was 22:42 with the Sword followed by 27:34 with the Fists, oddly enough. Also wow, I've literally never heard of the game Going Under until you mentioned it in your comparison with Hades and Dead Cells. That game is now on my wishlist to get in the future!  

18 hours ago, realm722 said:

That's my favorite review of yours to date. Keep up the great work and can't wait for more Mass Effect reviews!

Thank you so much! 🥰

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

LH22a564.jpg

LH98af9e.jpg

Platinum #101 | Mass Effect 2 (Legendary Edition)

Developer: BioWare, 2021
Platinum Earned: 9 September 2023
Time Played: 51h
Time to Plat: 1W 3D 15H
Rating: 10/10

LEGENDARY EDITION THOUGHTS

So! After writing just over 9,600 words about ME2 (3,600 being written and updated yesterday for the Suicide Mission section), you'd think there is nothing left to say about the game. However, it's time to go over what changes and enhancements the Legendary Edition (LE) has brought! Note that my first post about ME1's LE details some overall improvements to the trilogy.

CHANGES SPECIFIC TO ME2:

• GENERAL
    • Several bugs related to exporting minor decision outcomes from ME2 into ME3 have been fixed.
    • Several cutscenes have their camera angles adjusted, which we'll discuss further in a bit. 
    • DLC Weapons and Armor are now naturally integrated into the game - you now purchase or research them instead of magically getting everything at the beginning. The exception is the Arc Projector, which is still available to Shepard right away. 
    • Your Paragon and Renegade scores are (only now? 😂) accurately represented in the game. 
    • Arrival DLC trophies have been removed; instead, there is now one trophy for completing the Project Overlord DLC and one for the Shadow Broker DLC.
  • COMBAT
    • There is more camera freedom when Shepard is sprinting. The Commander still sprints like a rhino, but now a rhino that turns slightly easier.
    • Shepard's baseline health/shield recharge time is now 4.5 seconds, down from 6 seconds originally. 
    • The drop rate for thermal clips is increased - particularly when you are using a sniper rifle, thank Athame.
    • Thermal clips also restore more ammo in general, across all weapons.
  • MOST SIGNIFICANTLY, the texture for Pluto has been updated based on the gorgeous photos we received from NASA's New Horizons space probe in 2015. 

PlutoTA.jpg => O5orqKL.jpg

Thank you, BioWare. 💖

GRAPHICS

When I covered the overall graphics enhancements to the LE in my previous LE post, I briefly mentioned that the updated Shepard facial models were... rough, but BioWare had fixed them. Upon importing my ME1 Shepard, instead of immediately selecting "Accept Imported Face" I was curious to see if they had made redhead fem!Shep the default appearance for ME2 now. Let me tell you, I panicked for a moment at the monstrosity of a facial model that is shown to you on the summary screen. For anyone wanting to change their ME1 Shep's appearance, if you select "Custom Appearance" you once again are presented with the updated facial model. I have no idea whether the "Default Appearance" will still give you an... "original" Legendary Edition nightmare Shepard, or whether that facial model was updated everywhere but on the "Default Appearance" summary screen, but I didn't want to find out. 😂

sfzs7D4.jpg btumQ8V.jpg WCe7YZD.jpg

For "Default Appearance", Shepard looks like she belongs in BioShock Infinite (released in 2013). Just terrible.

I also have to say, after how gorgeous the updated facial models were for many characters in ME1, I found Miranda and Jacob's facial animations in their initial cutscenes to be rough. I didn't really notice this with other characters, and as ME2 progresses the facial animations for Miranda and Jacob get better. However, I feel like Jacob's jaw doesn't properly sync up for non-cutscene dialogue, even towards the end of the game. It's just very odd, and I'm not sure why the issue exists. Also, apparently people really hated the hair on new!Miranda's face because there are PC mods for using her original ME2 hair in LE. 😂 

BLKDg5P.jpg

Initially, Miranda and Jacob look more like wax models than humans.

OLD CUTSCENES, NEW ANGLES

A couple of ME2's cutscenes were kinda... not great, when it came to how they handled fem!Shep and Miranda. The isssue for Shepard is that both the male and female models use the same animations, which was normally fine. However, some cutscenes seemed to forget to account for the fact that one of fem!Shep's casual outfit options is a dress, when the camera used low angles. I'm convinced that BioWare didn't check every cutscene with fem!Shep back when they were developing ME2, because it resulted in some super awkward manspreading moments that they would have caught, like this:

nykHwp46rvtK84JQS5TfwB-970-80.jpg

Image from BioWare

Miranda received even worse treatment. I totally get that she was designed as a "sexy femme fatale" archetype - and I can even enjoy that archetype when it's done well! - but the way in which the camera sometimes exclusively focused in on her butt was just ridiculous. Below is a serious moment from Miranda's loyalty mission, where she is finally opening up to Shepard about her most closely guarded secret and actually admitting that she needs help... then the camera goes straight to booty-town. Which I gather is a fine place, but not really the right moment to make a trip to. When I played ME2 on the PS3, it would always really take me out of the moment because there is Miranda in a moment of vulnerability, but then the camera is straight-up objectifying her. You can see a side-by-side of the Miranda loyalty mission cutscene here, if you want to see the difference between OG and LE.

sWohtNHDg8AJUmoKfCpsBU-970-80.jpg

Image from BioWare

Honestly, the most frustrating aspect when news first broke about these intended changes for LE was from dudebros whining that the Legendary Edition was "censoring" ME2. Literally all BioWare did was change the angle of the camera to resolve the awkward fem!Shep skirt angles and unnecessary Miranda butt shots. Apparently BioWare also did this to some brief close-up moments for Jacob, Thane, and Zaeed - though I don't know which cutscenes those would have been. So dudebros claiming that BioWare was 'changing' Miranda into a prude or whatever didn't even make sense, since it's not like BioWare was changing her appearance or outfit. It was a bunch of complaining about camera angles

And honestly? If BioWare had included ridiculous "fan service" cutscene angles for some of the male characters, and made Miranda's butt shot appear in a less emotional scene, I would be fine with the game trying to sexualize some of its characters with the camera - it is a game where you can romance some of the characters, after all. The important thing is that if you are going to have the Male Gaze™️ you need to equally accommodate the Female Gaze™️, and you also really need to understand which moments are more appropriate and less appropriate for The Gaze™️ in general.

PHOTO MODE, BAY-BEE

There's nothing new about photo mode here. I just wanted an excuse to spam some of the photos I took that weren't cutscenes. 😂

wbn4BZD.jpg

My favorite ME2 photo

eWdqkj8.pngJ6HpmMr.jpgKWdG0Tf.jpg

OY1KGX9.jpgsJ96PlS.jpguIb11eP.jpg

zvdcPdr.jpgojDNw6Q.jpg8ARuo1C.jpg

Edited by pelagia14
typo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

LH5eeff1.jpg

Platinum #102 | Chants of Sennaar

Developer: Rundisc, 2023

Time Played: 10h

Platinum Earned: 13 September 2023

Rating: 8/10

PREMISE

Based on the biblical myth of the Tower of Babel, you play as a nameless Traveler who awakens inside the Tower. Each tier of the Tower is home to a separate tribe of people each with their own unique language, though the tribes seem to have lost the ability to communicate with each other long ago. The Traveler seems to like solving puzzles, as you will decipher the various languages to figure out why the tribes can no longer talk with each other.

nYFY0vJ.jpg

GAME THOUGHTS

Chants of Sennaar might sound like an incredibly exciting puzzle-based language mystery game (or at least, I would love a game like that! 😂) but it is more of a point-and-click indie game oriented around simple glyph puzzles with a simple but sufficient secret to uncover before the end. I actually had a lot of fun with the game, but I'm also a huge linguistics nerd - a more honest rating for most people would probably be something like a 6 or 7 out of 10. I also (shamefully) have not yet played the narrative-based language mystery game Heaven's Vault, so I'm unable to compare Chants of Sennaar to it.

Also, for anyone who will skim through or skip the rest of this post in order to play the game as blindly as possible (though I really don't spoil much beyond the game's first two minutes!), I urge you to at least check out the important suggestion below which is bolded in green., and an important platinum trophy note towards the end. 

GRAPHICS, SOUND, & LIGHTS

The cel-shaded aesthetics of Chants of Sennaar are absolutely gorgeous. The game uses a vivid color palette, and each level has one or two emphasized colors that help give them a unique identity. Beyond that, each level has its own distinct architectural style while still feeling like part of a cohesive total.

The soundtrack actually reminded me of Journey. It has a symphonic orchestra that is diversified with instruments that I assume originate from the Middle East. Some tracks include vocals as another instrument, which helps give them a tone of revelation. While personally the soundtrack does not reach the perfection of Austin Wintory's work in Journey or Bear McCreary's work in God of War: RagnarökChants of Sennaar's music is still beautiful.

This is a silly detail, but I still often forget that PS5 controllers can have the lights around the touchpad change colors in a game. The lights on your controller change to fit in with each level's emphasized colors, which I thought was a really nice touch. In order, the light colors are: Yellow -> Pink -> White -> Orange -> Blue. 

DECIPHERING LANGUAGES

There are 5 total languages in Chants of Sennaar, and each language has around 30-40 glyphs. Each glyph represents a word, and each language has a unique conceit or grammar to keep things from feeling too stale. 

Your first encounter with language comes essentially one minute into the game, where you see a lever and a sign next to a closed gate/door/entrance. Pulling on the lever allows you to move ahead, so it stands to reason that the unique symbol for each instruction on the sign represents "open/close" or "push/pull". In the next area, you see that you need to find a way to lower the water level in order to proceed. There are six water valves on a wall, and a note stuck nearby on the wall seems to indicate the solution that we need!

TTmiEsW.jpg moU8eIf.png

JOURNAL

The game's Journal system is both its strongest and weakest feature. You don't need to have a pen and paper with you in order to jot down what you think each symbol means. Instead, you can go to the language menu screen and select a symbol in order to type in your guess as to what the word means. 

yOscVy6.jpg Fs2sflZ.jpg

How the journal handles glyph hypotheses is what makes it great. Once you've entered a guess, you can just highlight/select a glyph phrase to see a rough translation based on your theories thus far. Glyph translations that you've hypothesized are shown in italics, and confirmed translations are non-italicized. Any glyphs within a phrase that you've not documented a hypothesis for are represented as "...", and you can always go back in and change your guess at a later point.

The downside to the Journal system is that it provides confirmed translations. Each time you've discovered several new glyphs, the Traveller sketches images that represent the translation answers. Once you have correctly slotted in the 3-4 glyphs for that page, the game reveals the 'canon' translations for those glyphs. Now when you hover over that glyph within a phrase "in the wild", your italicized hypothesis is replaced with a bolded translated word. 

F0t1nB1.jpg

Cats added by me. 🐈‍⬛

Finally, if you have the 'canon' translation for all of the glyphs within a sentence/phrase, it will be translated into a more natural flow. To make up a fake example, if I had the confirmed translations for [me], [like], [eat], & [food], then the game could translate the phrase [me | like | eat | food] as "I like to eat food" or "I like eating food". 

IDEAS FOR A BETTER JOURNAL

The main downside to the Journal's "canon translation" system is that using it makes most puzzles incredibly easy to solve, and the game encourages you to make "confirmed translations" frequently. It simply holds your hand way too much. For those who will play this game, besides the first time the "canon translation" mechanic is shown to you, I highly recommend that you not fill in the illustration pages until you reach the end of a level, unless you get truly stuck on what a specific glyph means.

I initially thought that each time the Traveller drew a new sketch, you were required to fill in the answers immediately. It was around the time I finished the second language when I realized that I could just close out from the sketch page and instead wait to fill in all the symbols at the end of each level. 

I wish that the game had a setting you could toggle that would prevent the Traveller from creating sketches until you either (a) indicated that you want the page illustration for a specific glyph or (b) finished a level. Because even if you choose not to get the solutions until the end of each level, there were a few instances where the illustration immediately revealed to me that I had the wrong hypothesis.

Since none of the levels are too linear, another solution would have been to take a page out of Return of the Obra Dinn's book by simply requiring more answers from the player before providing the solutions. My understanding of Obra Dinn (a game in my backlog) is that you need to correctly solve three crimes or crime pages before its notebook confirms if you are correct or not. Had Chants of Sennaar implemented a system or option where each two-page spread contained 8-10 illustrations for translation, that would have strengthened the decoding aspect of the game while still providing some sort of handrail.

CONTEXTUAL LEARNING

Since there is no "English/player's native language" text in the game, the first language/level is a bit easier to figure out than the others. You are often introduced to just 1-3 symbols at a time and quickly see them contextualized. In subsequent levels, sometimes you will encounter a glyph with little context, and it isn't until much later that you will find an area or situation that begins to fill in that context for you.

MYtNFzW.jpg

Additionally, every time you advance to a new level you are essentially starting all over with a new language. I remember in the third level, the first person I spoke to introduced me to something like 8 new glyphs! When I returned back a little later, I still could only understand half of what they said. Additionally, you'll sometimes stumble upon old murals/carvings that have a phrase written in the current level's language as well as a previous language you know. This helps you to quickly learn a couple of words in the new language - though since there are differences in the (simple - don't worry!) grammar between languages, the glyphs are not always in the same order despite having the same translation! 

cTBQV7h.jpg

OTHER FACETS OF GAMEPLAY

Each level has two black tablet-console things. Every console has the same three types of screens, though two of them will only make sense once you reach the "endgame". Once you've discovered a second console, you'll realize that the left-most screen allows you to fast travel to any other console you've discovered. This is really nice for when you reach the end of a level and might be curious to see how something translates after finding all the relevant glyphs but don't want to spend a few minutes backtracking through the entire level.

uf04sKP.jpg

The game has a few small "stealth" sections where you need to move through an area without being spotted by the guards. I was glad that those sections were pretty short. The end of the third level also has a navigation puzzle related to cardinal directions which was a cool idea, but figuring out exactly how the mechanic worked was very frustrating for me. (Didn't help that I super overcomplicated how I thought it was supposed to work //facepalm)

You can pet a couple of cats in this game! I love the "automatic 10/10" meme for when a videogame lets you pet animals. Perhaps I should start adding a second Cat Rating of "😺/10" to games that let you pet cats? 😂

FQdm9I0.jpg

What a good little kitty!

TALKING LANGUAGE

Ugh, I had a whole spoiler-marked section written here about linguistics and Chants of Sennaar. Then I somehow goofed and my browser deleted it all. 🥲 This is what I get for writing outside of Google Docs for once, sigh. I also have some spoilery charts I made organizing the glyphs of each language, so at this point I'll just rewrite everything into a separate post at some point in the future.

:platinum: TROPHY NOTE! 
Chants of Sennaar has one missable trophy that can require you to replay the entire game a second time. The game has a "fake" ending and a "true" ending, and completionists can easily miss the trophy for the "fake" ending if they are not aware of it. Without spoiling much, after you reach the end of the fifth level you are given an "endgame task" to complete before going to the very peak of the Tower. This happens pretty much immediately after you learn the final glyph on the fifth level.

To get the trophy for the "fake" ending, you simply need to trigger the game's end at the tower peak before you have completed the endgame task. After a short endgame scene, credits will roll and the fake trophy will pop, at which point you can then finish the final task to unlock the game's true ending.

SPOILER NOTES FROM MY PLAYTHROUGH:

Spoiler
Spoiler
  • DEVOTEE LEVEL
    • I loved how the card minigame about the social hierarchy actually game into play later as a clue!
    • Glyphs that I was initially completely off-base with my guesses 😂:
      • "Storage/Vase/Art" was actually "Plant"
      • "Pottery/Artist" was actually "Gardener"
      • A mural at the end of the church led me to believe that one symbol meant "Life" or perhaps "Answer", but it was actually "Preacher"! Totally misunderstood what the mural was depicting at first, which was fun.
    • Sneaking past guards at the very end of the section gave me Assassin's Creed vibes.
  • WARRIOR LEVEL
    • I can't get over how there is a statue inside the temple that looks like Rhulk from Destiny 2.
    • Loved that a few of the glyphs were based on constellations!
    • When I learned that a symbol (which I initially assumed translated to "Devotee" or just "Non-Warrior") actually translated to "Impure", I wrote down, "Ooooooh shit, are [the Warriors] fanatics?!" This made me wonder if maybe everyone above the Warriors knew the 'truth' (whatever it was), and the Devotees were kept ignorant so that they would keep worshipping. 
  • BARD LEVEL
    • Ah, the "chosen ones" are actually bards. 
    • Flappy Birds minigame clone made me laugh.
    • I noticed here that the Devotee symbol for "up/greater" has been present in the Warrior and Bard architecture! Could be a coincidence between the architectural geometry and the glyph, but I like to think it is intended.
    • GAHHHH the cave puzzle!
      • Since every time you correctly move forward, you enter the next area from a random direction, I thought that you had to factor in the direction you were facing as "North". If the compass's red arrow was one direction off from where I was facing, my brilliant mind figured that meant I had to rotate the traveller clockwise or counterclockwise to come up with "North". 
      • Nope! Literally just whichever direction the red needle is pointing in is your "North" for that room, and you make all your movements based soley on the red needle and the poem. The direction from which you enter the room has NOTHING to do with which direction you need to go to. 
  • ENDGAME
    • The final chase felt like a weird mix of M.C. Escher and something akin to Salvador Dali's style, lol
    • a2ND1OY.jpg
    • aGKjp0u.jpg

FAVORITE...

Trophy Image:

11S443194.png In this together

Trophy Moment:

14Sdea4cc.png Peace Walker

Screenshots:

a3aSUpk.jpg O1f7I7D.jpg MXFeOoo.jpg dGkTUOA.jpg 9ulWKzh.jpg 8gSpIi2.jpg

SPOILER SCREENSHOTS:

Spoiler

10CEgzC.jpg SVvj3zL.jpgnL59F9d.jpg

Edited by pelagia14
typo
  • Like 2

On 8/4/2023 at 1:47 AM, pelagia14 said:

GAMEPLAY RECORDING PAUSED

One annoying aspect of this game is that some of the cutscenes are considered "blocked scenes". They are pulled straight from the movie that was released at the same time as the videogame, and seven years later we still have these awful pop-ups warning "Gameplay recording paused because you entered a blocked scene" at the beginning and "Gameplay recording resumed" at the end of each and every one of these tie-in cutscenes. And this was regardless of whether or not you were actually trying to record anything with the PS Share feature!! It is completely immersion-breaking, makes the notification noise, and I could not find any option within the game or the console to them off. 

If you press the share button, then select "save gameplay" it saves the last 15 minutes. So in a way, the PS4 is constantly recording stuff. Just throwing away everything that's not saved. So you get the notifications because of this. When a game crashes, you also have that last minute-or-so of footage to send to Sony/the devs for debugging purposes.

I, too, disliked getting constant notifications, across multiple games. So I fiddled around with the PS menu to remedy this.

Here's how you can disable them (PS4) from the XMB:

- Settings

- Notifications

- Pop-up Notifications

- Scroll down until you see 'Blocked Scenes for Video Recording"

I also disabled "When Taking Screenshots", because I sometimes take multiple in a row for guide writing purposes.

Happy gaming!

To be more on-topic: I thought I was long-winded and/or verbose with some of my posts in my own checklist, but yours are almost professional in layout, size and content. I should really take some time to read up on your write-ups on the FF franchise..

@Shikotei-kun Thank you for the comment! I wasn't aware that it was a setting that could be turned off. I'm on a PS5 now, but based on the terminology in your post I quickly found out that on the newer console, the solution is System > HDMI, then turn off "Enable HDCP". Apparently, that might prevent me from using streaming apps like Netflix while it is turned off, but I don't use any streaming apps through my PS5 anyways.

If you do read my FF Pixel Remaster posts, I hope you enjoy them! I did try to put a little extra bit of love into them. 

LH9c76e0.jpg

Platinum #36 | Mass Effect 3

Developer: BioWare, 2012
Platinum Earned: 9 April 2021
Time Played: N/A, but easily over 60 hours. 
Time to Plat: 3Y 11M 3W
Rating: 9/10

PREMISE

The Reapers have finally arrived. The galaxy is in all-out war, with Earth being one of the planets hardest hit by the invasion. The galactic community needs to work together to have any hope of being the cycle to finally defeat them, but politics and old resentments are hard to let go of. It’s up to Commander Shepard to not only find a way to stop the Reapers, but unite enough of the galactic community together to get even a sliver of chance at victory.

Bk3Q2nv.jpg

GAME THOUGHTS

This review contains HUGE SPOILERS (non-tagged/unhidden) for the ENTIRE TRILOGY.

THE END IS HERE

The game opens with the Reaper invasion of the Sol system, with Reapers launching attacks on Earth within two minutes of your playthrough. Commander Shepard and the Normandy have been grounded on Earth for the past six months, waiting for a military trial regarding their actions at the end of ME2. Players who completed the Arrival DLC are facing trial for their decision to destroy the Alpha Relay at the cost of over 300,000 Batarian colonists, but which provided the entire galaxy additional months or years to rally in preparation for the Reapers. For those who did not play Arrival, Shepard is under trial for working with the pro-humanity terrorist organization, Cerberus. 

If ME2 starts dramatically and then slowly builds up pressure to the glorious crescendo of its Suicide Mission finale, then ME3 is a frantic, non-stop sprint made of tension and decisions that hurdle you to its (contentious) conclusion. BioWare doesn’t waste our time with an unnecessary prologue showing the dicey political situation Shepard was likely in for the past several months, or some dramatic courtroom scenes in a trial-perhaps-turned-inquisition against Shepard; they made it clear at the end of ME2 that the clock for the Reapers has run out and so they don’t waste any time here. 

Ue5VK3Z.jpg QHb9Bxe.jpg

REMINDERS OF WAR

You get a mini refresher (or crash course) on combat gameplay as Shepard and Anderson run through the destruction of the Reaper’s opening salvo to reach a pickup point for the Normandy. This tutorial also serves to show us the initial chaos and confusion of an Alliance (and other galactic governments) that refused to seriously believe that the Reaper threat was more than a boogeyman. For narrative RPG videogames set during a global or galactic war, it can be easy for us players to unwittingly think of the dire stakes in the abstract, since various limitations such as hardware and gameplay design often isolate you in narrowly-scoped missions against a finite number of enemies, away from the true unrelenting nature of war. ME3 itself is constrained by these limitations. However, starting the player out in the initial moments of all-out warfare - witnessing the massive troop deployments of the enemy, air units spinning out in the sky to a lethal end, and even a medical evacuation unit rescuing a wounded soldier you assisted being blown up - helps make clear (and memorable) the realities of war as we play the game. As the Normandy flies away, we get a final shot of the planet being swarmed by even more Reaper ships, underlining that what we saw was a mere warm-up.

ME3 also finds smaller ways to remind you of the constant threat in the background. Body bags can be found in early combat areas. When you arrive at the Citadel, already the loading dock areas are being flooded with refugees from all over the galaxy. Huerta Memorial Hospital has more patients than rooms, so some patients lay on stretchers in the hallway as doctors argue over whether they should start trying to ration medical supplies based on the likelihood of patient recovery. A wall full of missing persons fliers grows steadily larger over the course of the game. The Normandy even has a Memorial Wall that observant players will notice gets updated whenever a current or former crewmate dies. 

BWye8Ef.jpg NrOh9qV.jpg

If you're curious as to what the full memorial wall can look like, a heartless deleted user on Reddit once took the time to play through ME2 and ME3 with as many deaths as possible. My Paragon memorial wall is next to it for comparison.

o4gFPPC.jpg 5nJhYzU.jpg

WAR ASSETS

Videogames often provide side quests that are a bit dissonant with the large stakes at hand - am I really finding some old lady’s missing cat when a demon is about to be summoned, or taking the time to go on hoverboard races when a villain is building a doomsday device? ME3’s War Asset system is a tangible way for you to view the progress your Shepard has made in recruitment for a final stand against the Reapers. Fleets, researchers, fighters, even cultural artifacts that can be used to gain more alien aid - pretty much everything you do in ME3 can be tied to the big-picture goal. This is also a fantastic solution to tie in side quests and other gameplay mechanics like planetary scanning in a way that can be somewhat justified as contributing to the war effort. Some obviously succeed at this better than others, but this helps the game to focus on the stakes.

A6IXL97.jpg

POWER-FUL COMBAT

ME3 improves upon the combat system introduced in ME2. Probably the most significant improvement is in ability combinations, called Power Combos. It is a drastic expansion of the Warp Detonation system of ME2, but no longer limited primarily to biotic powers. Power Combos always require that a priming ability be used, followed by a detonating ability - which results in a powerful area-of-effect explosion centered on the targeted opponents. They can be divided into Biotic Combos, Tech/Electricity Combos, Fire Combos, and Cryo Combos. Cryo Ammo thus feels much more useful now, and it’s great that these ability-triggered explosions are no longer limited to characters with biotic powers. 

You don’t have to memorize specific “formulas” such as “Ability Y can only be detonated by Ability Z”. Taking Biotic Power Combos, for instance, there are 15 potential powers that can be priming sources (some depending on how you upgrade them) and 21 powers that can detonate (once again depending on upgrades). The implementation of the Power Combo system is a great incentive for taking manual control over your squadmates’ ability usage in order to target and time them to get this bonus damage. Also, what I’ve said so far is just scraping at the surface. The Mass Effect Wiki page on Power Combos goes into detail on how you can combine primer abilities from multiple categories (Biotic, Tech, Fire, Cryo) followed by one or more detonators for maximum efficiency, or get even fancier and chain together Power Combo detonations. During my PS3 playthroughs I never even realized how complex this system was, and it makes me somewhat understand why some people may have enjoyed playing ME3’s competitive multiplayer mode.

Beyond the Power Combo system, there are a few other differences to ME3 combat. You can now dash-leap over short gaps, and some combat areas have a second level that you can climb up to with a ladder. Standard Melee attacks are now joined by charged-up Heavy Melee attacks that see you plunge a transformed omnitool blade into your opponent in a devastating animation. Shepard has obviously been keeping up on the acrobatics while in Alliance custody - or simply has better armor now - as they can now dodge to either side or roll forward/backward to evade an attack.

KZOXYh7.jpg

Shepard can equip weapons of any category regardless of their military specialization. The drawback is that the more weapons you have equipped and the heavier they are, the slower all of your combat/tech/biotic abilities charge. Ammo drop economy sometimes made it difficult to have a light weapon loadout on Insanity Mode, but it is no longer an issue in the Legendary Edition (LE). Alas, you no longer have infinite grenades - though additional grenades can sometimes be found alongside or in lieu of ammo cartridges. 

Speaking of enemies, their AI is noticeably improved from ME2. At least on Insanity Mode, enemies will attempt flanking formations or flush you out with frequent (😒) usage of grenades. For those who tend to be more comfortable firing from a distance (like me), this means you will find yourself abandoning cover momentarily or darting to new pieces of cover. As an Infiltrator, the Invisibility Cloak is the only reason that I’m able to survive Insanity mode. 😂

NEW ENEMIES

We now face off against a medley of new enemies, primarily “Reaper/Husk category” enemies from all the advanced life forms the Reapers have captured and mutated. You first encounter Cannibals, mutated Batarians that can literally cannibalize other Husk corpses to gain armor. Marauders have Turian origins and power up other Husk soldiers with armor., and they also do a silly drop role dodge when first fired upon. Brutes are the Reaper’s terrifying experiments on Krogan, having lots of health, lots of armor, and lots of reach with their fast-moving swipe attacks as they relentlessly prowl closer to you. Ravagers, based on the dangerous Rachni, are equipped with long-range cannons that quickly blast through your armor and health, and even have an analog to the tiny Rachni Workers with their Swarmer units. A few missions will have you come across Harvester units, which are just… mutated Harvesters, though they are lethal enough to serve as mini-bosses. 

Banshees are the foes I love and hate the most - twisted forms of Asari that quickly teleport across the battlefield, are protected by very durable bars of Barrier and Armor, cast slinging destructive biotics that drain huge chunks of your shields and health upon hit, capable of ripping apart your shields with their melee, and can execute an instant death move if you let them get too close to you. Their eponymous screaming wail sounds absolutely terrifying, full of rage or agony - or a bit of both. Finally, Banshees are also just visually disturbing - bearing a malevolent, almost gleeful grin and having gross, distended bellies reminiscent of bloated corpses. 

DdQ1y4F.jpg vZPllTL.jpg

The Omega DLC introduces one final Reaper-tech modified enemy type: the Adjutant. They are like a mixture of Banshee and Brutes, capable of slinging Singularity fields at you or running up to you with a melee attack that throws you to the ground. Cerberus has also been busy “improving” humans, resulting in sniper-wielding Nemesis units and the lethal, ninja-like Phantom units.

I really love that BioWare created so many new enemies for ME3. While there are still plenty of humanoid and Geth combatants to fight in the game, the introduction of these new units - each with unique abilities and tactics, keeps combat from feeling repetitive. The new Reaper enemies are especially fantastic from a lore perspective - this is yet another way in which BioWare is showing (and not just telling) us some of what the Reapers are doing with advanced species once resistance in an area is eliminated. 

DECISIONS & DILEMMAS

ME3 asks you to make some tough decisions throughout its run. The biggest two are your decisions regarding the Genophage and the Geth-Quarian War, conflicts that you watched play out throughout the trilogy. Whichever choice you make, you can make a fair argument in support of it. 

With the Genophage, a Paragon Shepard would argue that it is a slow extermination punishing a species that the galactic community helped “uplift” in order to solve their own problems without fully considering the ramifications. While the Krogran Rebellions following the Rachni War were terrible, the punishment far outweighs the crime. Furthermore, It is not fair to label an entire sentient species as violent when they are not provided realistic opportunities to live in peace. The Genophage has caused the Krogan to become so fatalistic in present times that if it isn’t stopped, frustrations and resentments will continue to bleed violence. 

On the other hand, a Renegade Shepard would argue that curing the Genophage would just allow history to repeat itself by starting new Krogan Rebellions. The Krogans currently live under fractured leadership, and if a Renegade Shepard has saved Bakara (Eve) and Maelon’s data to prevent her death, there is no guarantee that all Krogan Warlords would listen to her as a leader. The Genophage has also led to the Krogans harboring a deep-seated resentment of the Salarians and Turians in particular, which could lead to massive retaliation by the Krogans against them.

The Geth-Quarian War isn’t just about the history between those two factions, but about broadly about whether or not synthetics are sentient life forms that deserve rights. The important memories saved in the Geth server seen during Rannoch: Geth Fighter Squadron show that the Geth really just want self-determination, as any other sentient life form would desire. ME3 also gives us a lot of interactions with EDI that ask us if an AI can be a person, outside of any biases that we may have towards the Geth. One of my favorite lines from EDI relates Joker: “I would risk nonfunctionality for him. And my core programming should reflect that.” The ways in which ME3 examines the concept of synthetic life would honestly make for a really interesting fandom research paper. 

bVrCLxy.jpg F33T6SX.jpg 

THE DILEMMA I DIDN’T EXPECT

ME3 also has plenty of smaller decisions for you to make - especially in the Citadel. Do you support letting everyone purchase weapons to defend themselves, or should a militia be formed? Is enforcement of smaller crimes important in even the direst of times important to upholding law and the ideals of governed civilization, or in times of crisis is it more important to focus on the big picture? Do you tell Dock workers to allow refugees into the Citadel which puts greater strain on their resources, or do you tell the refugees that it sucks but there aren’t enough resources to help them?

On my most recent LE playthrough, before I started my playthrough I looked at all the decisions that affect your War Assets. I made my notes as to which decisions I would make, including the decision to pick Dr. Michel over Dr. Chakwas as the doctor aboard the Normandy. Honestly, I don’t think I previously ever realized that this decision could be made, though it makes sense since Chakwas has the potential to die at the end of ME2. I figured that picking Dr. Michel was the best outcome logically, as turning down Chakwas would have her working on crucial research for the war effort - the bigger picture, after all - and with Dr. Michel aboard the Normandy I would get a valuable additional medigel upgrade for my demanding Insanity playthrough. But goddammit, BioWare has made me care about these fictional characters.

When I was speaking with Chakwas at Huerta Memorial and told her that she should stay at the Citadel to help with the vital research for the war, I was honestly taken aback by her response. She says, “I’m a field doctor, Commander - not a research scientist. Eden Prime. The Battle of the Citadel. Defeating the Collectors. We’ve been through too much together to let it end now. Let me serve on the Normandy. Please, Commander.” And with how impassioned the voice acting is, how could I say no? I honestly loved this moment, when I decided to forgo the medigel upgrade result I had already chosen, as it really underlines how much these characters can end up meaning to us players by this point in the trilogy. 

EPIC MOMENTS

One more thing I really want to highlight with ME3 is that there are some truly epic moments during its missions. 

In Priority: Tuchanka, you run right up to a Reaper that is firing lasers at you. As you are navigating through what feels like a horde of Brutes to activate the Maw Hammers, the Reaper’s legs are literally crashing around in the arena. Being this close to a Reaper really lets you experience first-hand how massive they are - as the Codex mentions some Reaper ships are several kilometers long. Then you get “the planet fighting back” when Kalros arrives and demolishes the Reaper. It was an incredible conclusion to the game’s Act I. 

beEe5Bd.jpg dNK9TMX.jpg

Narratively, right afterwards we have my Paragon decisions throughout ME2 and ME3 that lead to Mordin curing the Genophage. His character arc is complete, as Mordin has realized his previous work on the Genophage modification was a mistake and this is his opportunity to make things right. In his final moments, Mordin looks like he has found peace, and he dies singing his favorite song. Then, BioWare decided that I needed more feels. Wrex exits his vehicle and slowly walks into the Genophage-cured air with awe and wonder, hope for the future of his species - all while we get a small piece of the ME1 Opening Theme to really underscore the emotional whiplash of the moment. Emotionally, this is probably my favorite moment of ME3. 

F0Kw6nL.jpg 9CATleA.jpg

Back to exciting and cool mission moments, we have another one featuring a Reaper during Priority: Rannoch. The stakes are already super high, with this mission having the potential to definitively end the Geth-Quarian War (whichever choice you make). At the last moment, a Reaper decides to show up and jeopardize everything. We end up hopping into a Geth ship piloted by Legion and get to shoot at the Reaper with the ship’s turret. When the initial orbital strike doesn’t work, Shepard is determined to complete this mission successfully even if it means getting up close with the Reaper. You end up on a wide plateau with your targeting laser as your only real weapon. To destroy the Reaper, you have to aim at its weak spot while you watch it charge up and blast out an attack, and then dodge before it can hit you. It takes a couple of precise orbital strikes before the Reaper is destroyed, so the encounter feels like a high-stakes version of cat and mouse with Shepard as the mouse. 

bkpRoDe.jpg AqPbbOl.jpg

Finally, I thought that Priority: Earth was a fantastic mission up to The Last Mile. It’s the final mission, and at least we get to return to Earth. We get a real sense of what fighting has been light for the ground forces, as we are assaulted by Reaper forces at almost every point during the mission. The ratio of advanced Reaper units to Husks is also much higher than in previous missions. Not only are there plenty of Cannibals and Marauders, but you frequently run into packs of Brutes. And yes, that’s packs of them - I can’t think of a single encounter with them that had a sole Brute. The section where we need to fire the Thanix cannon is the one that I dread the most, as I know that it eventually turns into a stressful fight against several Banshees and what feels like a squadron of Brutes approaching from multiple directions. The Reaper in the distance firing its laser beam almost feels like an afterthought, honestly. 

LanxCRb.jpg lxWqGTq.jpg

FRIENDS OLD AND NEW

There were also many missions where Shepard ran into or helped out squadmates. While there is no loyalty mechanic like in ME2, it’s nice that we are able to help out current and former squadmates - even when it’s not directly tied to the war effort, though it usually is. You team up with Grunt to wipe out a Rachni nest, and help Jack with evacuating Grissom Academy. There’s the creepy-as-fuck Ardat-Yakshi Monastery mission that helps Samara. You even have an opportunity in the Citadel to get Liara to meet her father, which I didn’t know was possible for the longest time. 

In addition, after almost every major mission it's worth roaming through the Normandy and speaking to all of your squadmates. Sometimes they won't be in their usual location, and even when they are their short dialogues are usually worth it, in my opinion. There's the scene where Tali gets drunk after Priority: Horizon, struggling with a sort of bitter jealousy that 'perfect' Miranda was able to fix her father's mistakes and obviously drawing comparisons to her own mess with her father Rael'Zorah. After Priority: Thessia, Tali and Garrus discuss how worried they are about Liara, and Tali even frets about how she probably isn't the best person to console Liara right now considering (in my playthrough) the Quarians have just regained Rannoch. At one point between Priority: Tuchanka and Priority: Citadel II, you can find Garrus up in the cockpit trading military jokes with Joker. All of these little moments just really bring everything together.

xfGVDbm.jpg 0lXDBzv.jpg fKqXc0T.jpg

ENDING A TRILOGY

ME3’s ending was infamously controversial - to the point that it even has its own Wikipedia entry. The biggest complaint was that your choices over the course of the trilogy felt meaningless, as summarized below:

hR9XzsO.jpg

Creator unknown.

I never played the original ending, only getting around to Mass Effect after the Extended Cut expansion was released. The Extended Cut doesn’t actually change very much - you are still given the three options at the Crucible, but it adds additional scenes to the ending sequences and a new epilogue: composed of a short narration played over a montage of still images and short animations, based on decisions you made and your Total Military Strength. It feels more respectful of the time that we as players have invested in the series. While I understand many players’ frustrations over the trinary solutions provided by the Crucible, I do appreciate that at least each decision has a downside. CONTROL results in the Reapers not reaping any consequences for their cyclical destruction of civilization for eons. DESTROY does not solve the issue between organics and AI that the Reapers were created to solve, just pushes a solution to that question further down the road while also destroying the sentient (and potentially now-peaceful) Geth. Finally, SYNTHESIS changes every sentient being’s DNA without their permission (and also just doesn’t make sense - do you add 1s and 0s to organic DNA or something??). 

One complaint I always found a bit odd was that there was no final boss fight. While I find the iconic Marauder Shields meme to be funny, I’m actually glad that there wasn’t a “final boss” in the game. What would it have been? Had BioWare gone with the Illusive Man morphed into a Reaper-controlled abomination, then that would just be the same as ME1’s Saren boss fight. They can’t really have you face off against a Reaper either, since at the end of the game the Crucible is able to deal with all Reapers near-simultaneously (plus we already wrecked one in Priority: Rannoch). Any other realistic solution I can think of would either ruin the pacing of the final mission, or feel liked a forced “gotta end with a boss fight” that just serves the meta expectation of gamers. 

6jbO3Wf.jpg 2fGy5q7.jpg

LET’S TALK ABOUT JAMES VEGA

ME1 gave us Kaidan, ME2 gave us Jacob, and now ME3 gives us James Vega. //sigh. It wouldn’t be a Mass Effect game if there wasn’t a male human squadmate who was my least favorite character among the roster, lol. I actually like Vega the best out of the three, but the way BioWare wrote him with fem!Shep really irritates me. 

I really wasn’t a fan of how casually flirty Vega is with fem!Shep. Not only does it just feel awkward, but like… I’ve roleplayed my Shepard over the course of two games, and now suddenly we have a character that is new to us who acts super familiar with Shepard. It would be different if we got to see Vega earn the familiarity with Shepard throughout the course of ME3, but we don’t. Thus, Vega ends up reminding me of dude!bros who feel entitled in acting overly familiar with female acquaintances or even female strangers. And that’s before even bringing up the Loco/Lola nickname, with only one of those two nicknames having some sexual connotations in the real world and an actual in-universe one for Vega. I’m so glad that we can tell Vega to stop addressing us by nickname.

I suspect that a large part of this problem is Vega (and all other NPCs) having mostly unchanged dialogue regardless of which gender your Shepard is, with the exception of changes in pronouns. While I’ve not played a campaign as male Shepard, I assume for male Shepards the vibe we as players would get is more “casual friendship between two dudes where one of them tends to tease/rib the other a lot”. Maybe it also gives off friendly, competitive vibes or something?

For those of you reading this (especially guys), if you played as a male Shepard I’d be really interested to hear how you would characterize Vega’s dynamic with him. I feel like this is the one instance where BioWare treating male and female Shepard the same somewhat backfires. However, I don’t have a solid enough reading/understanding of Vega with male Shepard to be confident in that opinion. I also welcome anyone’s thoughts on Vega with female Shepard, of course. 

MULTIPLAYER… AKA PS3-ERA THINGS I DON’T MISS

There was a multiplayer mode in this game, just like most of the other big AAA titles of the time - Assassin’s Creed, Uncharted, The Last of Us, Crystal Dynamic’s 2013 Tomb Raider, and others. I played exactly enough multiplayer to earn the relevant trophies and then never touched it again, so there’s not really much for me to add here. I don’t like multiplayer modes in my single-player narrative-based RPG games - if I want a narrative game with a multiplayer element, I’ll just find one that integrates multiplayer from the ground up. 

RANDOM THOUGHTS

• One small detail I love is that the developers did not just copy+paste the planetary system maps from ME2. For systems that we visited in the previous game, in ME3 you can see that the planets have continued to rotate in the intervening six months. 
  • I despise how slowly Shepard slow-mo dream walks during the interlude scenes with The Child. You can indicate that it is an altered mental state (dream, hallucination, etc) with other techniques such as white lighting on the screen’s edges, non-natural colored lighting for the scene, among other ideas. Also, the developers could have you move at a normal walking pace and then just trigger the cutscene a few seconds before you reach The Child, showing us slow-mo Shepard at that point. 
  • KEI-9 is such a good (robotic) pupper!
  • Thank you ME3 for having an automatic fish feeder that we can purchase for Shepard’s aquarium. 
  • I love how they put phone booths in the Priority: Earth mission so that there's no confusion that you are in London. 😂
  • Shout-out to the DLC trophy images for actually being really aesthetic in general for the PS3 era!

j6tcvvl.jpg smzOOnD.jpg XMwZiPI.jpg

DLC

FROM ASHES
This DLC sees you returning to Eden Prime, where you discover one Prothean has survived the past 50,000 years in a stasis pod. The DLC’s story is just one mission, but Javik becomes an available squadmate. Over the course of ME3 you discover through his dialogue lines that Prothean civilization (or at least what Javik knew of it) are very different from its modern-day archaeological understanding.

WOW1otM.jpg wnD5fmD.jpg

The avatar of Vengeance

OMEGA
Omega sees you helping Aria T’Loak reclaim the space station from Cerberus control. It is made up of five missions, but it feels more like one or two missions that are equivalent in length to five. The DLC also contains the Omega-specific Adjuncant enemy. DLC completion gives Shepard access to Aria’s Lash and Flare biotic abilities, the latter being my default bonus power for most missions of ME3 because of how fantastic it is. 

dip65fd.jpg 8paCTa1.jpg

THE LEVIATHAN
I thought the detective work at the beginning of the DLC was fun and didn’t overstay its welcome. There are a decent number and variety of missions as well, making this the second-best DLC for ME3 in my opinion. The overall story additions from meeting the Leviathans are great. It’s really interesting to consider that the Rachni were potentially bred/influenced by the Leviathans as an intended weapon against the Reapers, which would explain why the Rachni were so difficult to defeat even with advanced weaponry. Completing the DLC also provides Shepard with the Dominate bonus power, essentially AI Hacking for organics. 

LyRYKWz.jpg 5tQhmyS.jpg UVBrklZ.jpg  

THE CITADEL
The Citadel is hands-down my favorite fanservice DLC of the Mass Effect trilogy. We get an over-the-top mission storyline with Shepard’s Evil Clone. One of its final missions is literally “all hands on deck” with your entire squad assisting in the firefight. There are plenty of tongue-in-cheek lines of dialogue. I once again got to have Wrex as a squadmate, which was utterly delightful. We get little adventures with current and former crewmates - such as one involving you bailing out Grunt for drunk joyriding in a burning C-Sec vehicle. 😂 And then the party at the end, with all its shenanigans… While the timing of this DLC is obviously before Priority: Earth, I always leave it for last in a playthrough so that I end on a high note. 💖

YazR1Qw.jpg 0AcL25q.jpg

QUOTES & PLAYTHROUGH COMMENTS

Spoiler
  • Priority: Mars
    • Ugh, I forgot how annoyed I get at Ashley for her dogged suspicion that Shepard is BFFs with Cerberus. 
  • Priority: Tuchanka
    • Kalros, Mother of all Thresher Maws - I love the protective animalistic instinct that causes her to battle a Reaper! What an epic moment.
    • Wrex: “I AM URDNOT WREX, AND THIS IS MY PLANET!”
    • This convo:
      • Mordin: “Thresher Maw getting closer!”
      • Wrex: “Tell me something I don’t know!”
      • Mordin: “Metal in truck an excellent iron supplement for Maw’s diet!”
    • Thresher Maw 1 - Reaper 0 
    • Mordin’s dreams :’D
      • Mordin: “My project. My work. My cure. My responsibility. [closes eyes for a moment] Would have liked to run tests on the seashells.” 
      • Shepard: “I’m sorry.”
      • Mordin: “I’m not. Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.” 
      • AND THEN THE ME1 TITLE MUSIC PLAYS WHILE WREX WALKS THROUGH THE NEWLY-CURED ATMOSPHERE IN AWE… 😭
  • Normandy, between Tuchanka and Citadel II
    • Convo between Garrus and Joker:
      • Garrus: “What’s the first order an Alliance officer gives at the start of battle?”
      • Joker: “Uh…. I give up.”
      • Garrus: “ (chuckles) Correct.”
      • (a few more jokes)
      • Joker: “How do you know when a Turian is out of ammo?”
      • Garrus: “He switches to the stick up his ass as a backup weapon. Why does the Alliance hire pilots with Brittle Bone disease?”
      • Joker: “You’re shitting me? The Turian military has one on me?”
      • Garrus: “Oh, absolutely. I heard it myself from a private back on Palaven.”
      • Joker: “All right, why does the Alliance hire pilots with brittle bone disease?”
      • Garrus: “So their marines can beat someone in hand-to-hand drills.”
      • Joker: “Damn, you need to tell James about that one. Hey, what’s the hardest part about treating a turian who took a rocket to one side of his face?”
      • Garrus: “Figuring out which side took the rocket.” 😂
  • Priority: Citadel II
    • Aw, I like that we get a mission with Bailey!
    • RIP Thane. But omfg his shade at Kai Leng - “That assassin should be embarrassed. A terminally ill Drell kept him from reaching his target.”
    • Biggest plot twist of ME3: Conrad Verner can actually help out with the Crucible!
  • Mission - Kallini: Ardat-Yakshi Monastery
    • Goddamn goddamn goddamn it’s time for the creepy mission
    • The environmental spook-factor is excellent though. We’re exploring dark areas (almost claustrophobic at times) with flashlights, and we can hear wailing in the distance…
  • Priority: Rannoch
    • At the start of the mission:
      • Shepard: “Legion, Good Luck.” / Legion: “Acknowledged.”
    • Then when we go to target the Reaper alone:
      • Legion: “Shepard, Good Luck.” / Shepard: “Acknowledged.”
      • I think this is the only time Legion doesn’t address them as Shepard-Commander…
    • We get to kill a fucking Reaper with a rail gun, lol.
    • The ending 😭
      • Legion, shortly before sacrificing itself: “Does this unit have a soul?”
      • Tali, very emotional: “Legion, the answer to your question was yes.” 
      • Legion: “I know, Tali. But thank you. Keelah se’lai.”
  • Normandy, after Priority: Horizon
    • Tali is drunk on the Observation Deck.
      • Shepard: “How are you getting drunk?”
      • Tali: “Veeeery carefully. Turian brandy, triple filtered, then introduced into the suit through an emergency induction port.”
      • Shepard: “That’s a straw, Tali.”
      • Tali: “Emergency. Induction. Port.” 😂
  • Priority: Earth
    • Javik: “But you are now the avatar of this cycle. The exemplar of victory. Not just for humanity, or turians, or Protheans - but for all life. Every soul that has ever existed is watching this moment.”
  • The Citadel DLC
    • At Ryushi’s:
      • Merc Captain: “Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Tonight’s performance is brought to you by random acts of violence.”
    • Anderson’s Apartment:
      • Garrus: “Wait… ‘job’? You mean the rest of you are getting paid for this?”
    • All Hands Mission:
      • Glyph’s inability as a VI to understand the Shepard Clone situation was funny.
      • Liara: “Glyph, lower their morale!”
      • Glyph: ”Your life expectancy is now fifteen seconds and dropping. Fourteen, thirteen, twelve…”
    • Shepard: “Grunt, you apologize to the nice man for setting his car on fire.”
    • Good lord the fan service.
    • When Clone Shepard abandons the crew, trapped in Archive capsules:
      • Clone Shepard: “I should go.”
      • Garrus: “So that went rather well.”
      • Shepard: “She said, ‘I should go’. Do I sound like that?”
      • Garrus: (exhales) “Yeah, kinda.”
      • Wrex: “So this vault we’re sealed inside of… We’re not going to worry about that?”
      • Shepard: “How come nobody told me this before? I’m open to feedback here.”
      • Garrus: “I’m not really one to talk. I’ve been told that I say ‘calibrating’ more than a turian should.”
      • Wrex: “Well I thought all humans said it. Like some weird earth custom or something.”
      • Shepard: “I don’t sound like that… do I?”
      • (another comment from squadmates)
      • Shepard: “Maybe it’s: I should GO. I SHOULD go. *I* should go…”
      • Garrus: “Shepard, please! Why aren’t you more worried about this?”
      • Shepard: “Hm? Oh. Glyph, you still out there?”
      • Glyph: “Yes, Commander.”
      • Shepard: “Unlock this damned thing, and go find the others. No one steals my ship. Not even me.”
    • Reclaiming the Normandy:
      • (In an elevator, on your way to reclaim the Normandy):
      • Garrus: “So… anyone want to talk about their people’s history?”
      • Wrex: “Nope.”
      • Garrus: “So I’m the only one who misses when we used to chat in the elevators back on the Citadel?”
      • Wrex: “Yep.”
      • Shepard: (silent the whole time 😂)
      • Garrus: “So disappointed.”

FAVORITE...

Trophy Images:

23S009cf0.png Long Service Medal

43S95fbac.png Tour of Duty 

59Sdd8784.png Talon 

67S4e1cba.png Technical Issues

Trophy Moments:

24Sa86f0e.png Insanity

54Sfb967c.png No Stone Unturned

65S033bc7.png Perfect Host

Screenshots:

euiTur5.jpg5UlH4sQ.jpgLexriVg.jpg

mJEq1uZ.jpgej7gCmL.jpg43f7EYd.jpg

707MAwr.jpgJyWCFYy.jpggR6O7br.jpg

Edited by pelagia14
typo
  • Like 4

LH6dd93d.jpg

Platinum #104 | Mass Effect 3: Legendary Edition

Developer: BioWare, 2021

Platinum Earned: 1 October 2023

Time Played: 48h
Time to Plat: 1W 1D

Rating: 9/10

LH98af9e.jpg

100% Game #16 | Mass Effect Trilogy: Legendary Edition

100% List Completed: 29 September 2023

Time Played: 135h

Time to 100%: 1M 1W

Rating: 10/10

LEGENDARY EDITION THOUGHTS

Once again it’s time to see what changes the Legendary Edition (LE) has brought to this latest Mass Effect installment! Note that my post about ME1’s LE details overall improvements to the trilogy. 

However, it seems that there is one detail of the Legendary Edition that I was completely oblivious to until I was about 3/4th of the way through ME3 LE: the PS5 controller’s touchpad button. Fun fact, pressing it will trigger your game to autosave! And here I was manually saving easily over 200 times per game with Insanity difficulty. 😂

CHANGES SPECIFIC TO ME3:

• Multiplayer mode and its related trophies have been removed. 
  • Just like in ME2, DLC weapons and armor are now naturally integrated into the game as purchasable items.
  • If you romanced Tali, BioWare swapped out the literally photoshopped stock photo that they previously used in the game for something better and more original.
  • Ashley’s Marksman ability has been fixed.
  • The War Assets system has been simplified, removing the “Galaxy at War” system. 
    • Galaxy at War system: War Assets were your “Total Military Strength” that was then multiplied by your “Readiness Rating Percentage” (started at below 100% and increased by playing multiplayer, the Mass Effect: Infiltrator mobile game, etc) which resulted in an “Effective Military Strength” that the game used to determine what happens at the end.
    • Now, the War Assets that you earn in ME3: LE are simply set at 100% effectiveness and your “Total Military Strength” is all that the game considers.
    • Small tweaks have been made to certain War Assets. 
  • The different ending choices in ME3: LE now become available based on what your Total Military Strength (TMS) is.
    • TMS is around 4400 or less = You get one ending option, which is based on what you decided to do with the Collector Base in ME2. Either choice results in almost all of Earth’s population being killed by collateral damage.
    • If your TMS is around 4500 or higher, you get to pick between Control and Destroy. 
    • Once you reach a TMS of 7800 or higher, Synthesis gets unlocked as the third option.
    • Your TMS level also determines whether most of Earth’s population is killed by collateral damage and if the Normandy crew survives.

LEGENDARY EDITION'S 100% TROPHY LIST

For a trilogy that is all about your choices in ME1/ME2 impacting ME2/ME3, I actually really liked that we were given a separate trophy list that focuses on the overall picture. The Long Service Medal ("Finish Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3 with the same character") is the perfect example of this. 

Each game's individual Insanity Difficulty trophies are now part of this 100% list instead of their respective platinum trophy lists. As someone who struggle-bussed hard on the PS3 with blood, sweat, and tears to get those Insanity completions, I'm really glad that those trophies did not entirely disappear for the LE. Yeah, there are the perennial debates nowadays about platinum trophies being too easy to earn, but outside of shovelware I honestly don't mind. If you really want to showcase how 'elite' you are, there are still plenty of games that have very difficult platinums, even if they are not as numerous as in the past. 

However, I do think that the LE trophy list missed the opportunity for some really interesting trophies. ME1 was the only PS3 list to have a trophy for playing as mostly-Paragon and mostly-Renegade, and it would have been interesting to have something similar to the Long Service Medal that reflected morality decisions over the course of the trilogy. Or perhaps trophies for things like "Curing the Genephage while keeping Eve alive", since not only does that require decisions in ME3's Priority: Tuchanka to cure the Genophage, but you must also have kept Dr. Maelon's data from ME2. Then again, would it end up requiring something like 3-4 trilogy-wide playthroughs to get all these trophies? Since it is just a 100% list I wouldn't mind slowly tackling it over the course of a year or two, but I can also understand how it could result in a quite unwieldy list (especially without the 'reward' of a platinum), so I view it as a missed opportunity but not a significant one.

INFOGRAPHICS!

BioWare has released two infographics related to the LE (to my knowledge), and I want to talk about them! They are quite tall images, so sadly I will only be linking to them.

INFOGRAPHIC A

The first infographic was posted on the official Mass Effect Twitter account (that I refuse to call by its new dumb name) on July 27, 2021. The infographic starts off by showing that in the Legendary Edition, to that point 32% of players had created at least one Shepard profile that was female. This is much better than the mere 18% of OG ME players who were able to experience Jennifer Hale’s absolutely stunning vocal performance as the Commander. By the way, that's not an endorsement of Jennifer Hale herself - I wasn't thrilled with some of her actions in the "Boycott Bayonetta 3" controversy (a franchise I've never played) - and I don't actually know a lot about her beyond that. However, having heard plenty of male Shepard dialogue over the years, I think fem!Shep's vocals are on another level. 

The most popular specialization for the Commander was unsurprisingly Soldier (40%), followed by Vanguard (21%) and then Infiltrator (15%). Back in 2013, those stats were: Soldier (44%), Infiltrator (19%), and Vanguard (14%) - so it is interesting to see that Vanguard has become more popular over time. I suspect that Vanguard gradually became less intimidating for many players once they saw videos or read Reddit posts on how to play the hybrid combat-biotic class. Engineer remains at a remarkably consistent 5% though, haha. 

Kaidan still gets the short end of the stick in Virmire, with 40% of players choosing to rescue him over Ashley. And wow, Mordin is the least likely to survive the Suicide Mission! I mean, we’re talking less likely to survive than Jack, who can die if you don’t upgrade the Normandy’s shields regardless of her loyalty! I honestly found that really interesting, since the ME fandom generally views Mordin very positively. 

Now let's look at the two big interspecies conflicts Shepard can solve in ME3. In 2021, 4% of players Sabotaged the Genophage (down from 8% in 2013). However, there is a huge change in the result of the Priority: Rannoch mission! Back in 2013 it was relatively split along the three choices: 27% chose to save the Quarians, 37% saved the Geth, and 36% achieved peace. Compare that to 2021 where just 9% picked the Quarian side, 11% picked the Geth side, and a whopping 80% found the path to peace! I feel like this could be a really interesting research paper exploring the huge change over time. 😂

INFOGRAPHIC B

The second infographic was released on N7 Day (November 7th) on BioWare's website in 2021. I immediately noticed an interesting detail in the percentage of players per difficulty level.

• Of ME1 players, 23% picked Casual, 54% Normal, and 11% Veteran.
  • ME2 players were fairly similar, with 25% picking Casual, 50% Normal, and 12% Veteran.
  • The numbers are very different for ME3 - 23% Narrative, 35% Casual, and 28% Normal.

I’d be really curious to learn whether the difference is a result of ME3 relabeling the easiest difficulty as "Narrative" and moving the other labels up a rank in difficulty, or if the total number of players who had played ME3:LE by N7 Day was significantly less than those who had played ME1 & ME2 by that time.

For the ME3 ending, 17% chose Control, 30% chose Synthesis, 45% chose Destroy, and 8% chose Refuse. I’m honestly a bit surprised that Control is as high as it is since ME3 highlighted the Illusive Man’s hubris in thinking he could control the Reapers. I suppose some players figured that the Crucible as a non-organic would have the ability to truly control the Reapers, and figured the Reapers could help with galactic reconstruction or something?

Finally, 15% of people who played ME1:LE are monsters. You heard me right - 15% of ME1:LE players did not recruit Garrus! I’d honestly be curious to hear why some players chose not to recruit him since it's not difficult to do so. And does this mean that some players chose not to recruit the delightfully blunt Wrex?!  

PHOTO MODE

That’s right, friends - it’s time for another spam gallery of carefully curated non-cutscene photos!

After ME2's heavy emphasis on indoor mission locations, ME3 once again brings us to plenty of outdoor locations! Thus, here are some new postcards, and a sort of "travel ad" thing I messed around with for Tuchanka:

UipO4zM.png 8Xzp2UI.jpg mIhmi7Z.jpg

ooHoAw9.jpg FBOgi5J.jpg gD4IdT1.jpg

And here are some highlights of my time messing around with photo mode:

Se8pts0.jpg Jh9TypA.jpg I9Qv7KH.jpg

pUUJv5i.jpg naMgpTe.jpg Wpep9Ae.jpg EN3Ro38.jpg OOWfMkh.jpg bEm2RcR.jpg  AFk1jrk.jpg KKTZ3Zc.jpg ttm211c.jpg R8vEMUL.jpg KYDWMVk.jpg

Phew! I finally have everything posted for the ME trilogy - I did not anticipate just how much time I would spend writing all of these. Despite that, I still feel like there are important things I've forgotten to include. 😂 Well worth the time spent, though. 💖

Edited by pelagia14
fixed URLs
  • Like 3

LH70fe14.jpg

Platinum #105 | Serial Cleaner

Developer: iFun4All, 2017

Time Played: 15h

Platinum Earned: 1 October 2023

Rating: 7/10

PREMISE

"Step into the polished shoes of The Cleaner, a professional crime scene cleaner for the mob. There's no business like the cleaning business, and right now business is booming…"

As The Cleaner, you visit various crime scenes and must dispose of all the bodies, vacuum up all the blood, and nab all incriminating pieces of evidence - all while avoiding notice from the cops who diligently roam the sites looking for someone to arrest.

GAME THOUGHTS

I picked up this game a long time ago due to its creative and wacky premise, and ended up really enjoying it! 

GAMEPLAY

The controls are super simple - :l2: gives you "Cleaner Vision" which highlights the location of all the level's mission objectives, cops, and important things in the environment like hiding spots. :r2: lets you vacuum up blood, :square: picks up and drops corpses, and :cross: lets you interact with the environment (including to hide). Bodies usually need to be brought to the trunk of your car for later disposal, but some contracts ("levels") also have more creative disposal spots like a woodchipper or aquarium of flesh-eating fish.

fVqgrcS.jpg 

When you fall within an officer's visible cone-of-sight they will begin to chase you. These cops are in better shape than The Cleaner is, so while you might be lucky enough to lose line of sight long enough that they can't follow, you definitely cannot outrun them. Most contract levels have certain objects that you can hide in - potted plants, dumpsters, closets, etc. A cop can be right behind you, but if you make it to the hiding place you are untouchable. The cops seem to have the object permanence of a child, spending a few moments looking around your hiding spot in confusion before wandering back to their patrol paths. Another strategic element that can come into play when running from the cops are the large blood splatters you are tasked with cleaning. When The Cleaner runs through blood he actually slides across it and gets a short speed boost, sometimes providing the critical additional second you need to reach a hiding spot before getting caught. Thus, while blood splatters are one of the objectives that you need to clean up, sometimes it can be strategic to leave one or more blood splatters to clean up once objectives in more dangerous areas are completed.

a647Yo2.jpg

I have become one with a potted plant...

You are unlikely to clear most contracts on your initial run (after the first few 'tutorial' levels). However, replaying each contract until you beat it is still engaging because while the environment and cop patrol routes stay the same, in most missions the objectives (bodies, blood splatter, and evidence) have several possible spawn points. Levels gradually become more complex - growing in size, amount of "cleaning" to be done, and introducing features such as shortcuts and moveable environmental obstacles. Later contracts also add in a few additional "enemy types" of officer, such as the 'Sergeant' who remains stationary but has a whistle to summon the 'beat cops', and the wide-roaming 'Detectives' who can put all units on higher alert after they've spotted you once. 

The one negative about the gameplay is that it can be easy to bump into objects when trying to flee from the cops. I'm not sure if the problem is The Cleaner's model having a larger hitbox than the visible pixels would indicate, or if the problem is with certain objects in the environment having a larger hitbox than you would expect. Either way, I quickly learned that when I'm having The Cleaner flee, I shouldn't try to make tight turns and I needed to stay away from the edges of 'narrower' movement corridors to avoid colliding into objects. Putting that into practice was more difficult for me though, and it definitely took several hours to stop getting 'tripped up' when fleeing. Even 'narrower' movement corridors are at least the width of two people, though, so that absolutely could be more of a "me" issue than a general gamer issue.

AESTHETICS

The game uses a very stylized and flashy cartoon aesthetic that perfectly fits the 1970s. Your character  The bold, less-detailed aesthetic and typically muted color palettes allow you to really focus on your objectives for each level, instead of getting distracted by lots of beautiful visual clutter. You can unlock different outfits for The Cleaner to equip - I recognized the outfit that was an homage to Bruce Lee's infamous yellow tracksuit from Game of Death, and I'm guessing that the other outfits are references to other movies from that era. 

I'm not a huge fan of 70s-era music beyond classic rock, but the soundtrack was excellently done. A lot of the songs have a funky-jazz vibe, like the main menu theme called "Music to Hide Corpses to", and the first levels' 🎵 No Sweat. The soundtrack isn't entirely made up of disco and jazz, though. 🎵 God of Thunder is the soundtrack's nod to that decade's classic rock, and it's a bopping song that still fits in with the rest of the soundtrack. 

Hw6WTjL.jpg zEEb6Ul.jpg

CONTRACTS

When you select one of the game's 20 contracts (levels), you start out with The Cleaner at his mother's house where he lives. You can 'listen' to the radio and TV, where you see the alarm over all these crime scenes grow over time, and even look at a room in the back of the house where The Cleaner has kept 'souvenirs' from each contract. Because that's not a weird thing with the potential to backfire horribly, lol. Once you pick up the ringing landline, you see The Cleaner get his assignment, and then the game will automatically take you to the crime scene. Over time, you'll notice that these scenes at home slowly build up a plot that eventually leads to consequences. It's not a surprising twist or anything, but I'd still prefer to let people experience it for themselves since the game definitely focuses on gameplay over plot.

Additionally, there are also Bonus Contracts that you can unlock! Half of the story contracts contain a film reel item that you can pick up (the other half of the contracts have 'magazines' that provide you with extra costumes). Each film reel unlocks a bonus contract - all of them related to movies 😉 - and there are 10 bonus contracts in total. My favorite is definitely the one inspired by Alien! One of the corpses to clean up is actually an android (evidenced by its 'white blood'), another corpse definitely died from the classic "alien bursting out of the chest" scene in the movie, and one of your pieces of evidence to collect is a face-hugger //shudders. Oh, and the way to dispose of bodies is to feed them to a caged Alien in the cargo area of the spaceship. 😂

jxqwhjz.jpg TJeABgd.jpg

Loved the contract name: In Space, No One Can Year You Clean

CHALLENGE MODE

The game has a challenge mode with a scoring system and an online leaderboard. You pick whether you want to play a contract in "day" mode or "night" mode, and then you pick which challenge you want to tackle for that run. This is a great option for people who want a little more challenge, as some of the challenges do things like remove the vision cones from enemies, take away your "Cleaner Sense" that highlights stuff for you, remove your ability to use hiding places, etc. You can also play the contracts in time trial mode and work to beat your previous scores, or choose the 'Endless Cleaning' challenge which sees how many bodies you can clean up in a level before you get caught. Thankfully, for those of us not as interested in challenge mode, while you do have to play each challenge option, you only have to do each one once (versus on each level). Additionally, the tutorial level has all but 3 challenges available, so it is not at all difficult to earn the Challenge Mode trophy.

Prd93C4.jpg WSpviMT.jpg

Daytime versus Nighttime

FINAL THOUGHTS

If you're looking for a quirky game for when you don't want to focus hard on what you're doing, Serial Cleaner is definitely worth checking out. For those focusing on earning the Platinum, I highly recommend playing the game over the course of several days. It's definitely possible to earn the platinum in a single day, but if you play the game for several hours in a single gaming session you'll likely start finding it to be repetitive. 

FAVORITE...

Trophy Image:

9S82e2d3.png Expert Collector

Trophy Moment:

22S45ce31.png Wheeee!

Screenshots:

64Caymh.jpg eDYvj0B.jpg

Spoiler Screenshots:

Spoiler

Q05ECtG.jpg vIrmOGU.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/20/2023 at 3:13 PM, pelagia14 said:

LH36273d.jpg

Platinum #103 | The Quarry

Developer: Supermassive Games, 2022
Time Played: 46h 😒
Platinum Earned: 29 September 2023
Rating: 6/10

“What doesn’t kill you will make you stronger.”

PREMISE

You play as a group of teenage camp counselors at Hackett’s Quarry. Summer camp has ended and all of the children sent back home. The teens are unexpectedly stuck at the camp for one more evening and decide to have one last hurrah together, unaware of the supernatural threats and unfriendly locals that stalk through the woods… Your choices will determine if the teens survive the night or suffer gruesome deaths, in this game inspired by classic teen slasher and monster movies.

M9viUAk.jpg

GAME THOUGHTS

A quick summary of my feelings about this game: the campy story was mostly fun, but getting the platinum was a slog. As someone who loves a campy B-flick or terrible horror flick, I wanted to rate this game as an 8/10 - however, the length/pacing of Chapter 7 and the terrible “Chapter Select” system each deducted a point, bringing us to the 6/10 rating.

SUPERMASSIVE’S GAMEPLAY FORMULA

If you’ve played Supermassive Games' breakout game Until Dawn, then you have a pretty solid idea of what gameplay is like in the studio’s spiritual successor to that game:

• The game starts with a prologue that has you put some events into motion, followed by the present “day” events split up into 10 chapters, and wrapping up with a short Epilogue scene.
  • As you assume control of the various protagonists you can explore the environments to search for clues and evidence that will help you piece together what is going on. 
  • The narrative relies heavily on cinematics, during which:
    • You’ll often be asked to pick your character’s reactions to events and dialogue, which often impacts their character development, relationships with other characters, and/or the plot of the branching narrative.
    • Character survival depends on your decisions, your ability to succeed at QTEs (quick-time events), and the rare times you’re asked to aim and shoot a weapon.

In the spirit of Halloween I’ve recently been playing through some of Supermassive’s The Dark Pictures Anthology, and I have to say that I much prefer the gameplay mechanics of The Quarry/Until Dawn over those employed thus far in Anthology.

X1jzhbE.jpg

HORROR METER

Since I enjoy horror games but don’t like to play terrifying ones solo, I like to briefly mention things (with as few spoilers as possible) that could be a strong turn-off for someone considering a specific game. Some horror games really like to draw out their death scenes, which I’m not usually a fan of, but thankfully The Quarry does not. Even its more gruesome visuals are typically on screen for no more than 2 seconds, so things that you might be kind of on the fence about quickly move on before they can become too uncomfortable. 

Most of the potential deaths in The Quarry are pretty standard or tame for a videogame with horror elements - lots of shootings and maulings. There is one potential death that is a decapitation, and one NPC can get their face blown off by a gun. Finally, it’s not a death but a few of the endings required for the platinum necessitate that you make the decision to amputate the arm of one character after they get a certain injury - and I appreciate that you are NOT asked to button mash or anything to do so.

PtwKM1z.jpg

OUR CAMP COUNSELORS

• Abigail is the shy goth girl, with a not-so-secret crush on fellow counselor Nick.
  • Nick is the shy jock, with a not-so-secret crush on fellow counselor Abigail.
  • Emma is the popular girl at school who has a big social media following. She’s also kind of a bitch.
  • Jacob is the more traditional egotistic jock. While he wants his friends to be happy, he is a little self-centered and unable to let the relationship with Emma remain a summer fling.
  • Kaitlyn is the eccentric girl who likes to have fun with friends, but also has knowledge of car mechanics and how to shoot a shotgun.
  • Dylan is the edgy jokester who thinks he needs to hide his nerdy nature in order to fit in.
  • Ryan is the sarcastic goth kid who listens to hipster bands and weird podcasts.

I could not stand Emma - while it’s valid for her to just want her relationship with Jacob to be a summer fling, I really disliked how she treated him and talked about and to him. I also initially really disliked Dylan, but after his Chapter 4 conversation with Ryan revealed how he has been trying to play a persona to fit in, I liked the non-persona version a lot better. Kaitlyn honestly reminded me a lot of my best friend from college, and Ryan reminded me of my general friend group from high school.

GMVMosj.jpg

LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION

Cutscenes feature mocap performances from an ensemble cast of actors and use a variety of camera techniques to make you feel like you are actually playing a horror movie, not a horror game. There are plenty of easter eggs and homages to classic horror movies contained within this game.

The general quality of acting is excellent, and several actors have past horror, thriller, or similar cinematic works on their resume. 

• David Arquette - Appeared in the first five Scream movies, and also directed some horror/slasher movies.
  • Ted Raimi - The Candyman; The Grudge; many Sam Raimi works such as The Evil Dead franchise, Army of Darkness, and Drag Me to Hell. Most importantly, he played the unforgettable Joxar the Mighty.
  • Lin Shaye - A scream queen of Hollywood, with many horror roles including the classic A Nightmare on Elm Street and most recently in the Insidious franchise. 
  • Grace Zabriskie - Twin Peaks, Child’s Play 2 (the Chucky franchise), The Grudge

Even most of the younger actors playing the teens had some genre experience, though they are mostly TV episodes or more recent movies that I’m not familiar with. 

I was really impressed with the detailed facial animations in cutscenes. Even small nuances in the actors' performances are captured in the animations, creating really expressive animations which was a small solace for how many times I had to rewatch many of the scenes. There was something about how they animated Emma’s mouth when she talked that felt a bit unnatural, but I can’t quite pinpoint exactly what the problem was. 

HOLD YOUR BREATHE

The big “unique” mechanic in The Quarry is its Don’t Breathe mechanic. During certain tense moments, your character might attempt to hide from a nearby threat and you need to succeed at the Don’t Breathe “mini-game” 🙄 in order to be successful. A red meter appears on the left and right edges of your screen, representing how long your character can hold their breath (which is done by holding the :cross: button). One or more edges of the screen will have a sort of “red lens flare” while danger is close, and all you need to do is release the :cross: button when the “lens flare”/danger disappears. While you are holding your breath, the haptic feedback on the Dualsense controller mimics a heartbeat, which lends a touch of immersion. 

tYdtxvC.jpg

While the idea is interesting, the execution is pretty lacking overall. There is one instance I can think of where if you don’t release your breath shortly after things become safe, you can actually miss the window of safety because danger returns. Every other instance is basically “hold :cross: while meter is at 100% to ~25%”, and then letting go anytime afterward gives you the same result. It would have been much more interesting if, say, a threat was pacing back and forth several times, and so there were a few safe moments to release your breath (and your character does something, usually sneak away) but also a few unsafe moments to keep you on your toes.

GAME MODES

The game is fully playable as a solo player, but The Quarry also offers a couch co-op (local multiplayer) and online multiplayer mode. I didn’t try either of the multiplayer modes, though apparently, the online version lets everyone vote on key decisions - which is an interesting change. There is also a movie mode, where you literally pick personality traits for the protagonists to determine which choices they will make, and then you can put your controller down and watch it play out as a movie. It’s neat that they included this feature, but even neater that the trophy for Movie Mode only requires you to launch it instead of watching an entire playthrough in that mode.

Finally, once you’ve completed the story once, you can unlock a feature called “Death Rewind”. It allows you to prevent up to 3 deaths within a single playthrough, and is probably limited to solo play. If you failed a QTE, choosing to use one of your rewinds takes you right to the start of the QTE. If you made a choice several chapters back that results in a death now, using a rewind will take you back several chapters to when you made that decision. 

RANDOM THINGS I ENJOYED

MrnXfMF.jpg FNqxX5N.jpg

• The tongue-in-cheek nature of the “Safety Tip” tutorials was fantastic. The VHS tape effects and retro art style (almost reminiscent of old Hanna-Barbera cartoons) were great, and I love that they specifically chose a voice actor who could imitate Rod Sterling of The Twilight Zone.
  • The map, while never needed in terms of navigation, was a nice touch to help us get a sense of how everything is connected (considering we are frequently jumping between POVs in different locations).
  • Each chapter ends with a mini “music video” (only like 10 or 20 seconds in length). It was super cheesy, but totally worked for a cheesy teen B-flick vibe! 
  • I loved how the game integrated Tarot cards with Eliza for the “between Chapters” segments.
  • The menu has a screen displaying the “Paths” that you’ve made decisions on. I loved how they had a VHS box cover for each path, done in homage to various classic movies - and even sometimes with movie rental stickers on them! 

FOfB2rQ.jpg c2NBvsL.jpg

CHAPTER 7

Reveal hidden contents

Damn but Chapter 7 is unnecessarily long. It takes place in a flashback, and outside of making a few dialogue choices and two short sections where you can control a character, it is mostly long cutscenes. This chapter brings a lot of revelations explaining the supernatural creatures, the local hunters, and even what the prologue had sent into motion. Ted Raimi’s performance here is fantastic, but honestly, 70% of the chapter could have been removed without sacrificing much of the narrative. The game’s pacing comes to a halt, and while you’ve most likely figured out what the supernatural creatures are by this point, just being told how they came about through long expositional scenes is not very mentally engaging. I am all about getting little character details and worldbuilding, and I actually really appreciated getting more insight into what happened to Laura in the past few months as by the end of the game she is positioned as the "main character", but even if you were to experience the story purely in Movie Mode the story's overall pacing is negatively impacted by the length of Chapter 7.

FRUSTRATING CHAPTER “SELECT” BULLSHIT…

I really hated the “Chapter Select” system that Supermassive implemented in this game, as it made getting the Platinum trophy much more frustrating. The first thing to note is that when you are playing the game, whenever you make a decision the game immediately autosaves it. If you accidentally fail a QTE and immediately pause the animation to return to the main menu, too bad - the game will pick up right at the animation resulting from that QTE decision. This applies to all choices, not just QTEs. You also are not able to create multiple save files within a single playthrough. 

I honestly wouldn’t mind all of that, if not for the fact that you can only unlock Chapter Select at the end of each playthrough, and once you use your Chapter Select it will overwrite that playthrough’s save file. That means that if you complete a playthrough and then use Chapter Select to go back to Chapter 4, you now have all of your existing choices preceding Chapter 4, but in order to use Chapter Select again you will need to reach the epilogue once again.

… AND THE RESULTING FRUSTRATING PATH TO PLATINUM

[Section contains vague/general trophy description spoilers]

This is so aggravating. No Chapter Select until the end of the first playthrough is entirely reasonable. Requiring the player to separately unlock Chapter Select in multiplayer mode and single-player mode is also completely fine. In order to get the Platinum trophy though, you need to do a minimum of 3 playthroughs without messing up, with a few specifically-timed partial playthroughs as well. Oh, and collectibles don’t work like in The Dark Pictures Anthology where you can get 100% through different playthroughs, all Tarot Card collectibles need to be picked up in a single run and all Clue collectibles need to be picked up in a separate run. 

To get the platinum in only 3 full playthroughs requires attention to detail and a really solid game plan. One playthrough needs to have everyone survive, one playthrough needs to have everyone die, one playthrough needs to have all the “bad guys” killed, and one playthrough needs to have everyone [spoilered]. You need to do one complete playthrough to collect all Tarot Cards, and then if correctly planned, a second playthrough from Chapter 2 to the end to collect all Clues. Oh, and certain playthrough endings (all alive, all dead, etc) don’t allow for you to get certain Tarot Cards or Clues. 

There are two or three trophies for unlocking scenes that require specific choices across several chapters in order to be unlocked, and which can impact whether characters live or die. Then there are two trophies for having a specific character be the “sole survivor”, which can be completed from Chapter 9 of an “everyone dies” run. There is another trophy for having two characters reunite, which can be done starting from Chapter 9 of an “all baddies dead” run. A playthrough where you don’t miss any combat encounters is pretty easy, especially on a run that isn’t “everyone survives” by using accessibility options. 

aJ8HqoD.jpg

MY PLATINUM PILGRIMAGE

My platinum involved either 5 or 6 complete playthroughs (I didn’t keep track for my sanity), plus the 3 “reload at Chapter 9” ones. I followed the PSNP Roadmap, and had a Google Doc to keep track of all the requirements. However, my game plan was not effective enough as everything was grouped up by trophy instead of chapter. I should have spent some time creating a personal “master roadmap” that instead organized everything into “Here is everything you need for Playthrough #1. Everything you need for Playthrough #2. Etc.”. This is because sometimes I would forget to check one of the several sections I was constantly scrolling between on my laptop, and I would only realize it after I had triggered a new scene or chapter. Twice I had to scrap a playthrough around Chapter 4 for a tiny error, which finally got me to read up on how Cloud Saves work, disabling the auto-saving feature, and manually uploading my save every hour or so. 

I’m fine with all of the trophies conceptually - you really get to see a lot of the different branching paths that the developers created and it’s neat to see how small decisions can ripple later on. I even expected to have to play a "branching narratives" game like this several times for the platinum, that's not the issue.  But dammit, after I’ve beaten the game once, if I make a small mistake in Chapter 6, give me the option to use chapter select to have my playthrough restart at the beginning of Chapter 6! One can make the argument that the developers want you to “live with the consequences of your decisions”, but it is really dissonant in a game that features tons of accessibility options, including an auto-aim option for the rare “aim and shoot” segments. Or heck, let us skip cutscenes that we’ve already seen before, just give us something.

FIRST PLAYTHROUGH NOTES:

Reveal hidden contents
  • PROLOGUE
    • I hate the changing camera angles when you are walking in the forest. UP on the controller means moving forwards, then suddenly the screen changes and Laura is moving to the right while I am still holding UP. And then what about the situations where I would then on that second screen I need to move in an upward direction?! It is very cinematic, but always irks me a little. 
    • Why the fuck is the cop so insistent on them going to the Hackinger Motel? Are the game’s so-called “violent locals” a group of serial killers that run the local motel or something?
    • I was really impressed at how much you really get a sense of Laura and Max as a couple in this short prologue. The writing had personality, and both actors, though especially Laura’s (Siobhan Williams), were expressive and nuanced.
  • CHAPTER 1
    • My least favorite of the teens are probably Emma and Dylan thus far. 
  • CHAPTER 3
    • Ah yes, it’s not an homage to a teen slasher flick if we don’t get a girl (and guy) in swimsuits, lol. 
    • In my blind playthrough, Jacob got blooded by Bobby. 
  • CHAPTER 4
    • …Is Emma describing the surroundings to her viewers, but having the cellphone camera recording her face?!
    • Whoops Emma died. 😂
  • CHAPTER 5
    • Kaitlyn got blooded by Bobby.
    • Really wasn’t a fan of Dylan before this chapter. 
  • CHAPTER 7
    • Goddamn this chapter feels like a mini-movie. Also really throws the overall pacing off. 
    • Loved that we got more of Ted Raimi as Sheriff Travis Hackett though, his performance was fantastic. 
  • CHAPTER 8
    • Grandma Constance is a toxic bitch and I can’t wait until we get to kill her.
    • Oh, that was fast! Kinda sad that we didn’t get to see more of Constance, but she definitely deserved death.
  • CHAPTER 9 
    • Oooof, Romani slur and negative stereotyping is not cool. Like *I* understand that Supermassive is probably trying to have Travis give off “small town ignorant cop” vibes, but a lot of people won’t realize that he used a slur which just perpetuates its normalization.
  • CHAPTER 10
    • Ryan was blooded.
  • END CREDITS
    • Having an earlier-reference ‘podcast’ play during the credits was super engaging!
    • 1st Playthrough Results: All Hacketts except for Travis were killed, Silas is dead, and all teens besides Emma are alive.

FAVORITE...

Trophy Image:

22S2ceee2.png Above the Law

Trophy Moment:

29S0413dd.png Bizarre Yet Bonafide

Screenshots:

z8CkRUZ.jpgWHIjDKN.jpgwvIPgbC.jpg

MgKgspG.jpgASwI6E0.jpgCj84glY.jpg

I dont understand why they dont make chapter select skip or go forward, or even have a "collectible mode" like many game do have, i dont understand why they think its fun to watch the whole chapter over and over and over again to get 100%, i understand that maybe you cant skip something new from the story or something you unlock, but why make those games longer?

On 10/24/2023 at 10:43 PM, pelagia14 said:

Finally, 15% of people who played ME1:LE are monsters. You heard me right - 15% of ME1:LE players did not recruit Garrus

Absolutely unacceptable!!

Hey thanks for the long and empassioned tribute to this trilogy. It was a great read over multiple sessions. This is also the first review that I've read of the LE so it was great to get that perspective. It is sitting on my shelf in its wrapping waiting for me to dig into the series for a third time. 

... And this time I'll play as FemShep - the support for Hale's performance is overwhelming.

Also, I should drop a link to one of the best video game trailers of all time considering the relevance ;)

• Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 1:09 PM, Don_Chipotle said:

I dont understand why they dont make chapter select skip or go forward, or even have a "collectible mode" like many game do have, i dont understand why they think its fun to watch the whole chapter over and over and over again to get 100%, i understand that maybe you cant skip something new from the story or something you unlock, but why make those games longer?

Well, I understand that the game is about branching pathways and replaying the story several times so that you can see the different ways in which things end up happening. I also understand that they put quite a lot of time into getting the mocap performances and then animating everything, so I'm not bothered by a narrative-centric game not wanting to providing a "skip cutscene" feature.

However, the Chapter Select implementation is so awful that it ended up making me only half pay attention to certain chapters in my last playthrough or two, which I assume is the opposite of what the developers would want. And yes, not being able to easily reset a chapter sort of "ups the stakes" of your choices and QTE performances, but not only are there other ways to still create that feeling with a proper Chapter Select system, it is also not very accessibility-friendly. I love campy teen horror movies, and want Supermassive to release more games like Until Dawn and The Quarry - but definitely with a Chapter Select much closer to Until Dawn's system. 

59 minutes ago, Platinum_Vice said:

Absolutely unacceptable!!

Hey thanks for the long and empassioned tribute to this trilogy. It was a great read over multiple sessions. This is also the first review that I've read of the LE so it was great to get that perspective. It is sitting on my shelf in its wrapping waiting for me to dig into the series for a third time. 

... And this time I'll play as FemShep - the support for Hale's performance is overwhelming.

Also, I should drop a link to one of the best video game trailers of all time considering the relevance ;)

I'm so happy you enjoyed my Mass Effect tributes! They really did a great job with the Legendary Edition QOL updates, so I'm excited for when you play it!

Once you've completed a fem!Shep playthrough, I'd love to hear your thoughts comparing the male and female Shepards!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pelagia14 said:

SnxTvLA.png

HONORARY GAME RETROSPECTIVE: ASSASSIN’S CREED (AC1)

So, so glad that you covered this game despite Ubisoft refusing to acknowledge its existence :D This truly is the one that started it all and, despite it not being as great as its successors, really had a true "touch" to it.

Agree with the franchise timeline :D can't wait to see you covering the next ones in the series. Quite a lot of work ahead of you :lol: 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Copanele said:

So, so glad that you covered this game despite Ubisoft refusing to acknowledge its existence :D This truly is the one that started it all and, despite it not being as great as its successors, really had a true "touch" to it.

Thanks so much! 🥰

The game was just so confident in its premise and lore, and both Desmond's and Altaïr's storylines quickly gain intrigue and tension even while we are being introduced to the world. I was surprised at just how much of the lore was established here - I forgot that feathers for assassination targets in representation of Ma'at were introduced in this game, mistakenly thinking it was brought in later on.

1 hour ago, Copanele said:

Agree with the franchise timeline :D can't wait to see you covering the next ones in the series. Quite a lot of work ahead of you :lol: 

I felt kind of awkward labelling Part III as just "Layla Hassan", but at the same time something along the lines of "Layla Hassan's Story" felt like a disservice. I truly grew to like Desmond as a character as we experienced his trials and tribulations. Trying to compare his present-day story with Layla's thus far is like comparing apples and oranges - what Layla has gone through from Origins to Valhalla feels like what Desmond went through in a single game! 

It's definitely going to be a while before my next Retrospective covering the Ezio trilogy as I haven't even started writing it 😂, but I absolutely wanted to get Altaïr's game posted before I wrote a review about Mirage.

Edited by pelagia14
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, pelagia14 said:

I felt kind of awkward labelling Part III as just "Layla Hassan", but at the same time something along the lines of "Layla Hassan's Story" felt like a disservice. I truly grew to like Desmond as a character as we experienced his trials and tribulations. Trying to compare his present-day story with Layla's thus far is like comparing apples and oranges - what Layla has gone through from Origins to Valhalla feels like what Desmond went through in a single game! 

It's definitely going to be a while before my next Retrospective covering the Ezio trilogy as I haven't even started writing it 😂, but I absolutely wanted to get Altaïr's game posted before I wrote a review about Mirage.

I weirdly call those "the RPG saga" because I just disliked Layla so much I barely associate AC with her, compared to Desmond Miles who is still referenced to this day.

And to think he was considered bland back in the day...boy how the turntables :D 

Oh boy, I do look forward to playing Mirage myself. Definitely a Christmas project. Despite the numerous complaints, I heard the words "compact buildings" and "smaller map" and that's all I needed to hear :lol: looking forward to the review as well :D 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Copanele said:

I weirdly call those "the RPG saga" because I just disliked Layla so much I barely associate AC with her, compared to Desmond Miles who is still referenced to this day.

And to think he was considered bland back in the day...boy how the turntables :D 

Oh boy, I do look forward to playing Mirage myself. Definitely a Christmas project. Despite the numerous complaints, I heard the words "compact buildings" and "smaller map" and that's all I needed to hear :lol: looking forward to the review as well :D 

Ooooooh, I really love "the RPG Saga" - that's a much better title!

I enjoyed Mirage, though it was not as strong an entry as I was hoping for it to be. Overall the gameplay was pretty fun; it was the story that was on the weaker side, as it didn't feel as compelling to me as other entries. It's definitely worth playing as a fan of the series - just so long as one goes in knowing it's probably not going to be a 10/10 game for them.

• Like 1

LH46dfe6.jpg

Platinum #106 | Assassin's Creed: Mirage

Developer: Ubisoft Bordeaux, 2023
Time Played: 26h
Platinum Earned: 10 October 2023
Rating: 7/10

PREMISE

In the millennia-wide conflict between ‘Templars’ and Assassins, you play as Basim ibn Is’haq - a former street thief who is stalked by a terrifying djinn in his nightmares. Now a newly-minted Assassin under the mentorship of Assassin Roshan, Basim and his trusty eagle companion Enkidu are tasked with helping the Assassin Brotherhood investigate the presence of the Order of the Ancients inside the city of Baghdad. 

iibJG9z.jpg

GAME THOUGHTS

BACK TO THE SERIES’ ROOTS

Ubisoft evolved the Assassin’s Creed formula with the release of Origins, followed by Odyssey and Valhalla, where the games had a much stronger focus on Action RPG mechanics over the predominately stealth-based gameplay of previous titles. While Origins and its successors brought some useful innovations to the series, overall the AC community has not enjoyed the changes and there have been many calls in recent years to return to the series’ roots. Well, this is where Mirage steps in. Initially planned as a DLC to Valhalla, it eventually expanded into a stand-alone title. Marketing hyped up that not only was the game a geographic return to the series’ origins, mechanically it was also returning to an emphasis on stealth mechanics over Action RPG. 

So what’s the verdict, now that the game is out? Mechanically, the game does a lot to return to the pre-"RPG Saga" formula (thanks for the term, @Copanele!), retaining only some features from the Action RPG installments. A lot of the bloat of Odyssey and Valhalla is excised since Mirage primarily focuses on a single city as its setting, and it was neat having several ways to infiltrate an area for the big assassination missions. However, the game’s narrative struggles a bit. I can’t fully put my finger on what a lot of the reason for that is, but I think some of it has to do with the game originally being planned as a DLC, and it didn’t have enough time ‘baking in the oven’ to fully discard those origins.

zXTEEa4.jpg uYMbIhy.jpg

Just don't expect Hitman levels of creativity and variety for approaching your targets...

MECHANICS: COMBAT & EQUIPMENT

Open combat is greatly de-emphasized in this game. There are no heavy attacks, shield bashes, or equipping of javelins/lances/bows (RIP bow assassinations 🥲). Basim has a dagger and a sword that can be used in a fight when he gets detected by guards and uses the simple “parry or attack” system of older games. Successful parries will stun weaker enemies and let you finish them in a single hit, but most enemy mobs have a more tanky unit that can only really be damaged from behind. These tanky boys are annoying to kill unless you assassinate them or use a tool, so while a skilled player can blatantly approach enemies and defeat them all in open combat, for the most part, you’re going to want to assassinate enemies from the sky or from foliage. De-emphasizing the brute-force combat prowess of recent AC entries was sorely needed, and this game does a good job of heavily encouraging you to rely only on assassination and tools.

Most of your health does not regain over time. There are health potions you can buy, though you’ll want to save most of your money to unlock new tools and upgrade them, so a lot of healing comes from finding bush berries to snack on. The starting area of Baghdad has a decent amount of them, but they are a little more scarce in other sections of the city (though not by a huge amount). You can also equip specific weapons or outfits that have passive abilities related to health. Equipment is extremely pared down from the Action RPG games, however - you have just a few swords, a few daggers, and a few outfits that you can unlock, equip, and upgrade. There’s no “helmet, arm guard, chest piece, leg piece” system, and no “blue-purple-gold” color rarity tiers either - hallelujah. 

TpxsUG5.jpg

At some point in the game, you unlock an ability called “Chain Assassinations”. Essentially how they work is you press R1 to freeze time, you pick up to 5 targets (depending on how many full Focus bars you have), and then Basim sort of ‘warps’ to each target to dispatch them all before any of them can respond. In my opinion, it’s a really unnecessary gimmick, since even though you need to kill or parry targets to recharge your focus bars, it completely eliminates the challenge of combat. 

One annoying thing about the weapons and outfits is the “Gear Schematics”, which is how you upgrade them to give them better active and passive abilities. The game has 30 schematics which can be found in “Gear Chests” (that have a special icon to distinguish them from ‘random crafting material’ chests). Some Gear Chests are relatively easy to reach, and others require you to figure out how to open a locked door from the outside or do other simple puzzles. The downside is that each Gear Chest’s schematic is tied to a specific weapon. Maybe you want to upgrade the Zanj Sword Uprising weapon that you have, but you open a Gear Chest only to find that its schematic is for the Zanj Uprising outfit. At least each district in the game has schematics tied to a specific set - so Zanj schematics can be found in the Harbiyah district and schematics for Abbasid Knight gear items are located in the Abbasiyah district. However, I would have much preferred that the schematics were a weapon/outfit-agnostic currency you could use to upgrade your gear. 

MECHANICS: HIDING FROM NOTORIETY

I’ve already mentioned that Basim has an eagle companion, and Enkidu works just like Senu, Ikaros, and Sýnin where it can be used to tag enemies when you are outside of Eagle Vision mode. One new twist that I really liked from Mirage was the introduction of Marksman units. They are mostly found in certain story missions in the latter parts of the game, but they prevent you from using Enkidu until you’ve assassinated those units. The Marksman units are not located near the perimeter of a guarded area either, and so it provides a nice balance between “always having access to your OP eagle buddy” and taking away the 'RPG Saga' mechanic entirely.

It was incredibly nostalgic to see the curtained ‘rooftop gardens’ scattered across Baghdad. You can hide or eavesdrop from a bench, or pay a group of merchants to walk through an area and then blend in with them. Some areas also have mercenary groups you can hire or a musician you can pay to distract guards. If you kill enough guards out in the open your wanted level will rise, and once you reach the third tier, combat can quickly draw the attention of special ninja-like guard units that are much more difficult to defeat. 

It’s rather simple to lower your wanted level - each region of Baghdad has one or two Munadi (“town criers”) you can pay which reduces it, but primarily you’ll be tearing up wanted posts to lower your notoriety. Initially, I had a hard time finding Wanted Posters when I needed them - since they don’t show up with an icon when you look at your map or use Eagle Vision - but eventually, I noticed that their icon does appear on the compass navigation bar at the top of your screen after Eagle Vision is used. You don’t want to wander around the city with high notoriety for very long, as citizens will recognize you from wanted posters and shout for guards to come. I played the game in the initial weekend after its release, and guards only seemed to respond to those citizen cries some of the time. It’s also a bit weird that you can just tear apart a wanted poster right in front of civilians who are literally looking at the poster, and besides their surprise at you having suddenly walked up to them they don’t react to the presumably-illegal act at all. 

MECHANICS: SKILLS & TOOLS

Mirage doesn’t have the ridiculously massive skill tree of Valhalla. The three categories can broadly be described as “assassination and blade”, “tools and pickpocketing”, and “Enkidu/detection”. I didn’t really both with upgrading Enkidu after an initial investment until my other two skill trees were almost completely full. When I did start upgrading Enkidu more, most of the upgrades seemed like small passive improvements, so I definitely recommend focusing on the first two skill trees in the early game. 

SAa67B0.jpg

After you finish the storyline of the first Assassin Bureau you unlock the ability to equip additional tools beyond just the torch and throwing knives. The additional options are the blow dart, smoke bomb, “trap”, and noisemaker. The blow dart will be familiar to those who’ve played Black Flag, and the traps are essentially small proximity grenades. Each tool can be upgraded, but you can only choose one ability per tier. For example, Smoke bombs at Tier 2 can either restore some of Basim’s health when he is in the smoke, have a choking effect that damages enemies, or detonate silently. You aren’t locked into the upgrades that you pick, but annoyingly the only way to change them is to (fast) travel to an Assassin’s Bureau. 

VICdw3W.jpg

STOPPING THE ORDER OF THE ANCIENTS

Alright, it’s time to start talking in broad strokes about the narrative. When the franchise moved to more of an Action-RPG vibe, one change I really liked was the implementation of an Investigation menu tab that allowed you to see how the minion and underling baddies you assassinated were linked to the leaders of the Order of the Ancients. AC: Mirage continues with the Investigation tab, but now also includes the Assassins on the menu. 

GCd4jGp.jpg

Baghdad has four Assassin Bureaus that have each been looking into one of the Order’s leaders. Each bureau has its own icon on the chart so it is easy to see which bureau/section of the city is linked to each leader that you are hunting down. Clicking on a ? or ✓ icon will bring you to a page with details of that investigation. Incomplete ones (?) can be tracked on your map, and completed ones (✓) will show all the evidence that you found. Additionally, since some of your Assassin allies occasionally provide intel for a specific quest, they also have their own icons on the chart so that you recall the one or two important bits of information.

YOU HAVE FAILED THIS CITY

So, uh, did any of y’all watch the Green Arrow TV show from CW - or at least the first season or two, like I did back in the day? Every couple of episodes when Oliver Queen confronts one of the people ruining Star City, he growls “(name), yoU HaVE faiLEd thIS ciTY”. Sometimes, he even lists out their crimes. Well, whenever you start a mission to assassinate one of the five heads of the Order of the Ancients, Basim kind of does this except in soliloquy form. 

Basim is just… perched alone somewhere, addressing the leader and solemnly listing out an indictment of the leader’s crimes… to an audience of no one. It’s terrible, but I just couldn’t take those scenes seriously because it reminded me of the telenovela-esque acting from those Green Arrow scenes. 

We get such banger lines as:
“You think your cruelties well-hidden, Al-Ghul, for your chose those with little voice whose criews you knew would go unheard.”
“Corruption is rank, and everywhere… but you are at its heart.”
“I will find you, and I will exact justice for every soul you savaged for your ‘Great Work’.”

DESIGN: DISTRICT IDENTITIES

Speaking of cities, let’s talk about Baghdad, since we end up spending so much time there. There is the central district - The Round City - which unsurprisingly holds the Palace, most governmental buildings, and the concentration of the upper class. It is surrounded by the city’s three other districts: Harbiyah, Abbasiyah, and Karkh. Mirage portrays Harbiyah as a lower-class industrial district with less splendid architecture, with the one towering structure being the Damascus Gate Prison. Abbasiyah is shown as the cultural and intellectual district of the city, home to the great House of Wisdom. Karkh is the bustling commercial district that features the sprawling Bazaar markets.

SMmvR7z.jpg

Outside of each district having an important building (Palace, Prison, Knowledge Building, Markets), there isn’t a lot of effort in giving each district its own visual identity. Nice buildings, the color blue, or lots of flora meant I was probably in any district except for western Harbiyah. The Round City did have something unique - the pink flower petal “piles of hay” (which I loved!) - but that is the only unique feature that comes to mind for me for any of the districts besides “poor = west Harbiyah”. For a city that we spend so much time in, it was disappointing that so much of it felt very similar visually. I think that this, along with how the game handles the “present-day” narrative and the repetitive nature of the game’s missions, are the elements I was trying to pinpoint at the start of this review as to why the game hasn’t been able to fully shed the aura of DLC to me.

I did greatly appreciate that Baghdad was full of colorful flowers and plants, though! While it might seem incongruous to have so much plant life in an arid desert region, it was another way in which caliphs could demonstrate their power and wealth (ie: the legendary Hanging Gardens of Babylon, one of the seven ancient wonders of the world). 

OHH0ACU.jpg o96UXXS.jpg

DESIGN: BAGHDADI BLUES

Before playing Mirage, I was really excited to see how they would incorporate Middle Eastern mosaic artwork into the game’s environments. I think mosaic art is awesome, and it’s long been associated with Islamic architecture. As you explore Baghdad, you’ll notice the bright blue domed tops scattered across the city landscape. Most colors have natural materials that can easily be turned into pigments, but blue as a pigment had to be invented and then manufactured by humans. I love that the designers chose to highlight the color blue in Baghdad since it has a long history in Islamic architecture - representing reflection, higher knowledge, and the unknowable depths of the universe. The scarcity and labor involved in blue minerals and blue pigments also make it a sign of wealth for the city.

71O2P4E.jpg

While a lot of incredible Islamic architecture that is still around today would have been built long after Basim’s time, I was a bit disappointed at how simple the mosaic-work of Mirage is. There is one blue mosaic fountain that you will see in various areas of the city, one admittedly cool mosaic of the Assassin’s logo featured at the Bureau locations, and then a grand total of 3 mosaic patterns that I noticed throughout the city. For example, each district could have had a unique pattern to help lend a sense of unique identity to them. 

CONTRACTS

Unlike the big assassination missions that are the capstone of each of the Assassin’s Bureau plotlines, the various Assassination Contracts that you can pick up are very repetitive. There’s “assassinate the target”, “steal the thing”, “escort the person aka fight guards”, and sometimes “liberate the kidnappee”. Oddly enough, there is also precisely one contract that is a race. 

gGa5zro.jpg
I don’t even need to look at the contract details to see that these contracts will ask me to kill, kill, liberate, and steal. 

Sure, each contract has a “Contractor Request” such as “don’t take any damage”, “don’t kill anyone”, or “stay undetected”, but those three examples are probably 95% of the Contractor Requests so it doesn’t bring that much variety to the contracts.

WHAT ABOUT THE PRESENT DAY?

Note: Mild/vague spoilers for AC: Valhalla and AC: Mirage.

Oh, so you played AC: Valhalla, saw its big ending reveal, and want to know what happens now? Well Ubisoft says ‘tough shit’. While the present-day portions in previous games could be annoying - especially when they would interrupt the story of our playable protagonist from the past - I figured that since this game was no longer a DLC, we’d at least get a short scene at the end to follow up on the Basim revelations we got in Valhalla. Yanno, since this game is literally all about Basim. 

Literally all we get about ‘present day’ is a cutscene at the end of the game’s prologue, with 90 seconds of voice-over dialogue from William Miles (Desmond’s father). He explains that he previously lied about this genetic memory of Basim that comprises AC: Mirage, saying that it had been lost and that he had “worried the wrong lesson would be learned”. Then at the end of AC: Mirage, Basim has made his vow of revenge that we know will take him to the events of AC: Valhalla. The end.

4wAo39n.jpg

Without spoiling the big reveal in Valhalla, I’m really disappointed that we didn’t get any real continuation of it in this game. Does this mean that it is going to be gateholded behind the AC Infinity live service nonsense? Or will the upcoming AC: Jade and AC: Hex games continue the meta-narrative, and Ubisoft just didn’t want to come up with something they could insert into this game without disrupting what is planned for Jade and Hex? I’m leaning towards the latter option being more likely, which just furthers the “started as a DLC” vibes of this game.

By the way, my criticism of Mirage having “DLC vibes” isn’t any sort of indictment against the game’s approximately 15 hours of main story. I don’t need my AC games to be 40-60h for the main story alone, and frankly, I actually like it when they are closer to 20 hours for the main story since full completion is still going to take a lot more time. The game even goes out of its way for the big assassination missions to provide 2-3 ways that you can approach your target. Despite that bit of flexibility within those key missions, a lot of the game felt very cookie-cutter as if to pad in enough content to justify selling it as a stand-alone game instead of DLC. I'm really interested to hear what other gamers think about this issue. 

CULTURE

Mirage takes place during the Golden Age of Islam, and I think they did a good job of representing the scholarly community that would have gathered in the city during that era. Whenever you find “historical site” collectible markers in the game you unlock codex entries. The entries are broken down into five categories: Art & Science, Beliefs & Daily Life, Court Life, Economy, and Government. Each codex entry can be hidden so that you can see the background image, and you can also display the image’s credit information if you are curious about what time period it was from, or even which museum might currently have possession of it.

2omHNXB.jpg

While the category on Art & Science was my favorite, there were interesting details to be found in the other categories as well! For example, the usage of camels for transportation meant that city infrastructures did not need to invest in large networks of paved roads. The roads themselves could also be narrower than in cities in other regions of the world that relied heavily on animal-pulled carts. This might not seem like a big deal at first, but narrow roads meant that tall buildings could cover more of the city in shade, resulting in an ambient city temperature a few degrees lower than in open areas nearby!

KMOIddR.jpg FU1vliI.jpg

LANGUAGE

I also loved how the English voice actors for Mirage pronounced proper names such as Baghdad or Al-Ghul in Arabic, as well as short greetings and other phrases. Ubisoft Bordeaux ensured that the English (and I assume other non-Arabic language) voice actors had a dialect coach present who could help ensure authentic pronunciation. If you have subtitles enabled, you’ll see the romanized text of Arabic (text in Latin letters) and then the English translation is next to it in parentheses. For those who don’t like subtitles, it’s only a handful of phrases and words that are easily understood in context.

While I don’t speak any Arabic myself, as a teen I picked up a few phrases from coworkers - though now I only recall “Marhaba” and "Ma'a salama". Hearing certain words be pronounced in a beautiful, non-stilted manner was delightful. Sadly, I wasn’t aware until just a few days ago that Mirage actually has a dub of the game in Arabic - and it’s in Classical Arabic at that! Ubisoft Bordeaux even made sure to translate expressions between English and Arabic. 

For example, in a BBC article about how Mirage used the Arabic language, one example was given of the difference between what the Arabic and English Scripts. In English, one character impatiently complains that having to wait any longer will cause “camels to sprout wings on their humps”, but in the Arabic script it is instead expressed as “If I had waited any longer the Phoenix would have risen from its ashes.” As a language nerd, I really wish I had known about the Arabic language option - and I normally would think to check for a game obviously set in a different culture, but it escaped my mind this time. At some point in the future, I might do another playthrough in Arabic (with English subtitles!!) so I can enjoy the beautiful sounds

PHOTO MODE

While I love me a game with a good photo mode, the options were pretty lackluster here. I still took absolutely way too many photos, though. 😂 Below are all your settings for Photo Mode. Composition Mode just lets you have an overlay of lines to form a 3x3 grid or X grid, and is the mode where you can reposition your camera. 

7lzMxci.jpg

One small complaint that I had, though, was in regards to grabbing screenshots during cutscenes. If you trigger the PS5's Share interface to pop up (I think the default control is to hold the SHARE button) the game's beautiful lighting vanishes, resulting in a dimmer screenshot. Below is one example, where the initial screenshot during a Synchronization cutscene was taken without pausing the game, and the second screenshot is from the Share interface. I personally like using the Share interface to grab nice cutscene screenshots without cluttering my PS5 with multiple images to clean up later on, so this was pretty disappointing for me.

kSFQ0oI.jpg roPUY7v.jpg

Left: taken while the game is running. | Right: taken while the game is paused in the Share menu.

Nevertheless, here are my favorite snaps from Photo mode:

QoKFQZz.jpgrODDIGU.jpgB0H3KpD.jpg

yAvh2sQ.jpgOIaYV8W.jpgDIPBBvF.jpg

xmA20ve.jpgmA9AZwH.jpgPqDyMXR.jpg

RANDOM

• Shohreh Aghdashloo (the voice of Roshan) brings us a fantastic vocal performance, to absolutely no one’s surprise.
  • I was pleasantly surprised about Basim and Nehal being purely platonic friends… and then there was the ending when we learned more about Nehal. Was not expecting it, though it did explain some things that bothered me about Nehal, like how she was super-sneaky without any Assassin training.
  • Jeez, if Basim didn’t keep bringing up that he lived in Baghdad during his youth, you’d almost never know it. Outside of recognizing Baghdadi mercenary swords during the game’s Prologue act, very little of his supposed prior knowledge ever comes up. In fact, I can only think of one “old friend” that Basim encounters during Mirage. 

CAT RATING 😺

Not only does this game let you pet cats, Basim picks them up for proper petting and attention! And it’s not just a random stray cat here and there, you can come across legitimate CLOWDERS of cats ripe for petting! Thus, this game definitely gets a Cat Rating of “😺/10”. 😂

DwBhLxq.jpg qdYU0sC.jpg

FAVORITE...

Trophy Image:

28Sc55534.png Sleep Tight

46S41b4f8.png Spread the News

Trophy Moment:

6Sa198ff.png The Blood of an Enchantress

Screenshots:

YGoKYmr.jpg Px5ugaB.jpg n2Xql9g.jpg

Spoilers:

Spoiler

jJrHpTm.jpg vuQrsWl.jpg