Joker's Death trophy

Jiansen

You guys are all lying right? I genuinly don’t think this trophy is actually earnable. 

Been at this bs for 11 hours now half of the time doing manual half doing auto. I don’t think its possible. They must have deleted the possibility before they released the game because its just not happening. 

Am I losing it?

On 5/27/2023 at 9:38 PM, Makar503 said:

You guys are all lying right? I genuinly don’t think this trophy is actually earnable. 

Been at this bs for 11 hours now half of the time doing manual half doing auto. I don’t think its possible. They must have deleted the possibility before they released the game because its just not happening. 

Am I losing it?

Pheonix_shade's video might help. But it is possible. Like I said, it's one of those that seem like it'll never happen. Definitely the lamest most annoying trophy of all the pixel remasters.

• Like 1

This is, without a doubt, the worst trophy in the entire Pixel Remaster line. I thought I was going to give that distinction to the hidden summon trophy in 4 because of how hard it is to spawn the Bomb summon, but this is worse...

Like, I'm FOLLOWING the pause buffer method, TO A T, and, no matter where I stop on the reel, it ALWAYS skips 7 and goes straight to diamond.

Edited by gibbeynator
  • Like 3

Finally got the good version of Joker's Death after 2 days of autobattling and good lord was it aggravating; I think I would've rather dodged lightning in FF10 a second time, and that trophy tired me out so much I'm still on break from the game. It might not actually be the case, but I honestly feel like I spent more time on this trophy than I did spawning rare bestiary encounters in all the previous PRs combined.

Setzer's gonna have to sit on the bench for a while, cause as much as I like the dude I really need some time away from him and his Slots. Good luck to everyone trying to get this trophy whether through that manual pause method or autobattle!

Auto battle method worked for me after 1hr of trying. Guess i just got lucky. My setup was

Slot 1: anyone with hermes sandals, use echo screen

Slot 2: Setzer with hermes sandals, use slot

Slot 3: anyone, defend

Slot 4: anyone, defend

Got bad Joker's death (killed party) about 4x

Got good Joker's death (killed enemy) after 1hr of auto-battling with above set up and had a podcast going in the background. 

I also just maxed out the esper abilities for all chartacters in the 'anyone' slot and kept that order revolving. 

Good luck to everyone!

• Like 1

I basically put Setzer in my party the moment he was available and kept him there up until it was time to go to Kefka’s Tower, spamming Slot the whole time; only time he wasn’t in the party was when I was doing Doma to fight Wrexsoul. Nothing (though he did cause dozens of party wipes by triggering the “bad” version of Joker’s Death.) Ended up heading over to Zozo in the World of Ruin, made a party of just Setzer and Gogo, gave Gogo the Slots command, made a quick save and sat there for an hour. Still nothing. Made a status update complaining about it… and then it happened.

I feel like the secret is go until you can’t go any more, bitch about it, then try just a little more. Seems to work for my friend group, at least. ? Good luck… it’s a hellacious trophy, and easily the worst in the set. When I came in, I was more concerned about getting a Pink Tail or the rare Summons in Final Fantasy IV, but… ugh.

• Like 1

I don't know how many message board "here's how you rig the slots in your favor" methods I've tried at this point. I've tried pause buffering, I've tried counting it out, I've tried using an Echo Screen, I've tried doing the auto battle trick, I've tried doing it on the Narshe staircase, I've tried every variation of Setzer, Gogo and full party. This trophy is pure RNG and the game lies about it being a skill issue, because the final reel only has a 1/32 chance of staying on 7 instead of rolling over to diamond or stopping early on Bahamut. I'm going to try out the Lethe river trick or possibly surviving a bad Joker's Death and, if I don't get results, I'm just gonna beat the game and move on with my life...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, gibbeynator said:

I don't know how many message board "here's how you rig the slots in your favor" methods I've tried at this point. I've tried pause buffering, I've tried counting it out, I've tried using an Echo Screen, I've tried doing the auto battle trick, I've tried doing it on the Narshe staircase, I've tried every variation of Setzer, Gogo and full party. This trophy is pure RNG and the game lies about it being a skill issue, because the final reel only has a 1/32 chance of staying on 7 instead of rolling over to diamond or stopping early on Bahamut. I'm going to try out the Lethe river trick or possibly surviving a bad Joker's Death and, if I don't get results, I'm just gonna beat the game and move on with my life...

Can confirm that surviving the bad Joker’s Death via Reraise or similar effects does not work. Have to get the one that kills the enemy party, unfortunately.

• Like 1

Finally got it after 50 or so bad versions....

On 6/4/2023 at 9:08 AM, Ashande said:

Can confirm that surviving the bad Joker’s Death via Reraise or similar effects does not work. Have to get the one that kills the enemy party, unfortunately.

Yup, tried a jump as was suggested, but that was for the now defunked version where you had to witness all the slots.

On 5/30/2023 at 9:58 PM, phoenix_shade said:

I made a video to help with this. Do this and you'll eventually get the luck roll on the third reel. This took me 8 tries or so.

This helped a lot. Took about 30 minutes or so once I abandoned the auto-battle. The benefit of this is--at the very least--you feel like you have some agency over the RNG. That last slot is a pain, but it WILL eventually roll in your favor.

Man what an absolute miserable trophy,  tried the pause trick, tried the counting one, tried a myriad of other trick on Youtube, a whole entire day. Got fed up, put on a movie and just defended with everyone else and used slots on Setzer and auto battled for like 3 hours and finally got it. 

At least it wasn't as atrocious as the "Hail to the King" Skipping rope trophy in FF9. 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 8:19 PM, Profeelgood said:

Pheonix_shade's video might help. But it is possible. Like I said, it's one of those that seem like it'll never happen. Definitely the lamest most annoying trophy of all the pixel remasters.

Sorry lmao I just felt like raging. I did the pause method in order to get it a couple weeks ago. Autobattling never worked and I tried it for at least 13+ hours. Manually doing it was too unlucky.?

• Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 7:58 PM, phoenix_shade said:

I made a video to help with this. Do this and you'll eventually get the luck roll on the third reel. This took me 8 tries or so.

Was able to get the trophy with this method. It still may take some attempts but definitely makes it easier.

On 4/28/2023 at 0:40 AM, xLuffynho said:

OK, I think I found a way to bypass the RNG. I got it on the 5th try.

Start the battle and defend with everyone, with setzer use gamble and it doesn't matter what comes out in the bet.

Put the battle to happen automatically, when Setzer is next to act, stop the automatic battle and activate it again fast, before setzer use gamble.

Of the 5 attempts, 3 my party died and on the fifth I got the trophy.

1° - Defend with your 3 members of party.
2° - Setzer action in Gamble.
3° - Automatic Battle with this settings.
4° - When the 3 party members use the command defend and setzer is the next to act, desable and enable automatic battle before Setzer act.

don't know how, but this actually works, got it after 10 minutes

• Like 1

At first, I thought that it was legitimately just about very precise timing. Ah, what innocent times those were.

After about 3 dozen results that were either one tile before, or one tile after, but -never- right in the middle, I started to wonder, as that seemed borderline impossible mathematically.

So then, I discovered the pause method. And wouldn’t you know, the game was in fact skipping me past the last 7 and onto the diamond.

How do I know that it is skipping me and that I’m not just messing up the timing on the third reel?  Because I -only- miss if I have already hit the first two sevens. If I intentionally miss one of the first two, then I end up landing the third.  Every single time.

So, I am vastly disappointed that a trophy that I originally thought was skill based, is nothing but RNG that is -heavily- weighted against the player.

Pretty ironic that the game stacks the deck against the gambler character in such a way.

I’m sure I’ll eventually get it.  I’m just going to hate every minute of this BS until I do.

*edit* A tried and true “Get it after complaining about it” moment. Good job, Setzer. Now enjoy riding the bench until the end of time.

Edited by SReinbach4
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2023 at 11:40 AM, xLuffynho said:

OK, I think I found a way to bypass the RNG. I got it on the 5th try.

Start the battle and defend with everyone, with setzer use gamble and it doesn't matter what comes out in the bet.

Put the battle to happen automatically, when Setzer is next to act, stop the automatic battle and activate it again fast, before setzer use gamble.

Of the 5 attempts, 3 my party died and on the fifth I got the trophy.

1° - Defend with your 3 members of party.
2° - Setzer action in Gamble.
3° - Automatic Battle with this settings.
4° - When the 3 party members use the command defend and setzer is the next to act, desable and enable automatic battle before Setzer act.

I got it about on my 15th try or so, thank you man :) ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2023 at 8:15 PM, TerminusCross said:

I got it about on my 15th try or so, thank you man :)1f64f.png

Tried this method(expect had gogo and setzer) and got it pretty quickly as well, about 20 autobattles maybe half of which were timing the off/on thing correctly. Could be total coincidence but who knows.