ps3 flash drive not showing all files

melodicmizery

ive had a issue for a while now when i plug a 2tb usb drive into my ps3 it doesnt seem to show every file on it. as if so many files are on it that it maybe has a limit of how many it reads or something i dunno. anyone know why it does this? i put spare ps3 consoles in my guest rooms and load them with music and movies. and cant get  some files to show up. i tried the triangle show all option etc. i know i could take a blank flash drive and transfer the files to that and then plug that in and transfer prob, but thats alot of extra waiting

PS3 does have issues with certain drives at high capacity. Make sure the USB is fully formatted to FAT32 MBR. One thing you could do is which is what I do, is on your PC/Laptop setup media server and just find it on the PS3s and then copy or just leave it running for your guests to stream whatever they want.  Can also use a phone as a media server. 

Edited by GUDGER666

Another thing to note is the directory structure is very specific for PS3. Folders need to be arranged and named in the proper structure, and it needs to be ALL CAPS.

7 hours ago, Helyx said:

Another thing to note is the directory structure is very specific for PS3. Folders need to be arranged and named in the proper structure, and it needs to be ALL CAPS.

That's just for the update file. Don't even need folders for media to show up, and folders don't need to be caps. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GUDGER666 said:

That's just for the update file. Don't even need folders for media to show up, and folders don't need to be caps. 

This hasn't been my experience. I've been doing it this way for the past 15 years so I'm assuming an update at some point removed this requirement?

10 minutes ago, Helyx said:

This hasn't been my experience. I've been doing it this way for the past 15 years so I'm assuming an update at some point removed this requirement?

It's always been this way for me. Most of the time I just copy to the USBs root, or some are in folders labelled Movies, Shows. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2023 at 8:18 AM, Dark_Overlord said:

None of those files are above 4GB are they?

no i cant fit those on a fat drive

ive tried a 30gb flash drive and put about 100 files on it. it only showed about 25 or so of the files. so i copied them, then removed them from the flash and plugged it back in. it then showed a few extra files, copied those then did the same deleted them off the flash. then the next time i plugged it in it didnt show anymore. tried adding new folders instead of using the root and it didnt help. very odd. its done this for years on all my ps3s, i just never really found a reason why it does and never asked. i dont really want to stream from pc, my mother visits sometimes because i live far and shes like 73 and has a hard enough time using a ps controller lol let alone streaming.