Extremely frustrating time playing this

o7_AP

So for context: I have never played a Souls game before this. My build is a knight who I want to do a bulky hard hitting tanky melee build. I have had plenty of fun moments playing this, and I don't even mind the difficulty too much, but I absolutely HATE not having any checkpoints. I am stuck at 2-1 and after reaching the boss once I have literally not been able to even make it back to attempt the fight again. I've gone to 4-1 to get better weapons and the regen ring, I even got the regen shield too, but I still cannot stand the tedious, padding backtracking. Is there any way possible to cheese the game so I can have checkpoints? I am so close right now to just giving up.

You can create your own checkpoints, though not the intended way to play.

Quit the game through the settings where you want to stop.

You will return to exactly where you were. Back up your save to the cloud if necessary.

In an emergency, you can quit through the PS5 dashboard> close application before you die and you'll start at the last auto checkpoint. 

Hope it helps. 

Edited by ARIXANDRE
  • Like 1

I played Demons Souls on the PS3 in 2010. It was incredibly frustrating, but that is what made it so rewarding. 4-2 was the worst by a long shot.

I think anyone's first 'Souls' game is the hardest. After that, the rest aren't that bad (for example, I think PS3 Demons Souls is the hardest by far). You then learn the tricks, mechanics, summons etc. and it becomes quite manageable.

3 hours ago, o7_AP said:

So for context: I have never played a Souls game before this. My build is a knight who I want to do a bulky hard hitting tanky melee build. I have had plenty of fun moments playing this, and I don't even mind the difficulty too much, but I absolutely HATE not having any checkpoints. I am stuck at 2-1 and after reaching the boss once I have literally not been able to even make it back to attempt the fight again. I've gone to 4-1 to get better weapons and the regen ring, I even got the regen shield too, but I still cannot stand the tedious, padding backtracking. Is there any way possible to cheese the game so I can have checkpoints? I am so close right now to just giving up.

There are only a few levels that don't have mid-level shortcuts that you either unlock or that are unlocked from the start. Did you not find the mid-level shortcut in 2-1? Near the area with the pit of lava you cool with water that leads to the boss, don't turn left or right to go toward the boss, keep going forward to go outside. There is a lift to activate that goes down to the archstone. Because 2-1 is laid out like a giant figure 8, this lift shortcut serves as the mid-level shortcut and the shortcut to the boss.

Shards/large shards of hardstone/sharpstone are very easy to acquire so in the early game don't hold back upgrading whatever you want to +3 or +6. Upgrading weapons will make a lot more difference in damage than putting points into stats at this stage of the game. Chunks/Pures of hardstone/sharpstone/other upgrade types is when stuff becomes more rare. You only want to use those quality of stones on your endgame weapons.

The start of 4-1 and 4-2 are excellent places to farm for souls as Skeletons and Ghosts give a lot of souls when they die. Farm for souls and buy plenty of grass to prevent dying.

If you haven't found the Thief's Ring already, return to the parapet in 1-1 by the first Blue Knight. Walk through the door and then hop over the railing of the staircase to land on the platform below. The Thief's Ring shrinks the range at which enemies will notice you which can make it easier to fight enemies 1 on 1 and makes certain worlds (like Shrine of Storms) much easier as the flying enemies will not notice you.

Edited by Guardian_owl
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, o7_AP said:

Knight? That was my favourite class too, back in 2009, playing the PS3 version of the game. Well… if I recall correctly, I can still remember my most used build, so I will proceed to explain you that here, hoping to be useful for you… Look:

Weapon:

Meat Cleaver —always used as a two-handed weapon—

Adjudicator’s Shield —not to be used! just for the regeneration buff… so keep it in your back always—

Armor set:

Ancient King’s Mask

Ancient King’s Breastplate

Ancient King’s Gauntlets

Ancient King’s Greaves

Rings:

Eternal Warrior’s Ring —an essential stamina buff!—

Regenerator’s Ring —regenerates vitality points and stacks to the buff of the shield—

Aim for strength, endurance and vitality mainly. My build is designed to play dodging enemy attacks and bursting with one blow everything that crosses your path. Very fun to use. I advise you to always carry the inventory as empty as possible, but always carry all the rings with you. You should never remove the stamina regeneration ring, but you can exchange the health regeneration ring for another ring that is more useful to you during certain situations, such as when you have a lot of weight in the equipment / inventory —Ring of Herculean Strength / Ring of Great Strength—, when you want to be stealthy —Thief Ring—, or other useful rings like the Master’s Ring, the Sodden Ring or the Ronin’s Ring —especially if you use katanas—, between other ones.

Yeah so like someone said earlier save and quit back up save to cloud and reload when you die best way to checkpoint before bosses, as for Armor Spider boss I streamed my entire Playthrough of Demons Souls so if you want I can link my videos showing how I did it, Flamelurker is the next boss, I actually found him to be one of the easiest bosses of the game but he's supposed to be the hardest, Maneater's are the hardest. 

• 1 month later...
On 22/6/2023 at 5:16 AM, DEMONICRUBLE18 said:

Yeah so like someone said earlier save and quit back up save to cloud and reload when you die best way to checkpoint before bosses, as for Armor Spider boss I streamed my entire Playthrough of Demons Souls so if you want I can link my videos showing how I did it, Flamelurker is the next boss, I actually found him to be one of the easiest bosses of the game but he's supposed to be the hardest, Maneater's are the hardest. 

I agree that the spider is easy to beat, but all the bosses of the swamp are easier than the spider. Phalanx is very easy too.

I also agree that the most difficult boss is the maneater, but there’s a long and boring method to beat them very easily; and it consists of staying around the bonfire in the middle of the bridge. Combining the protection that said bonfire gives with precise attacks from time to time, they both end up falling.