PS Vita Charge Cord - What type is the USB?

the_game_nerd

As the title says, what type is the USB connector on the Vita?

Im on the road for 10 weeks, packed my trusty Vita but forgot the charge cord.

It doesnt seem to take regular USB connectors, is it a unique connector to Vita?

What can i get from small town eletrical shops that will charge it? 

It’s proprietary just like theyre stupid memory cards

edit: i had to replace mine years ago

and by years ago i mean like 6+

energizer made a charger with a 3way spliter that has the vita charger and vita 2.0 charger on it and something else, i just bought it for the vita adapter part

Edited by Property_Damage
  • Like 2

What type of vita do you have? OLED or Slim? OLED has an oval PS button and a proprietary port, Slim has a circle PS button and uses micro USB.

Seems like you might have the proprietary one, which means you're gonna have a hard time getting a replacement while on the trip.

I would see about getting a replacement cable shipped to an Amazon locker near you, or you can check local electronics shops just in case, though I doubt you'd have much luck. Another option would be to look for a retro games shop, depending on how out in the woods you are.

These proprietary cables really did suck, and I am so glad that we are largely past them.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, codphanatic said:

What type of vita do you have? OLED or Slim? OLED has an oval PS button and a proprietary port, Slim has a circle PS button and uses micro USB.

Seems like you might have the proprietary one, which means you're gonna have a hard time getting a replacement while on the trip.

I would see about getting a replacement cable shipped to an Amazon locker near you, or you can check local electronics shops just in case, though I doubt you'd have much luck. Another option would be to look for a retro games shop, depending on how out in the woods you are.

These proprietary cables really did suck, and I am so glad that we are largely past them.

Yeah i have the original model with oval button, im screwed. 

I always do trawl pawn shops and retro stores when i find them so i guess i will have to get lucky.

Rookie error forgetting the cord.

Thanks for the replies.

I bought mine as mentioned above from Target in-store but i cant seem to find it online anywhere, i think its been discontinued maybe idk

it was a 3 way charger made by Energizer that supoorts vita 1000 and vita 2000 models

it was in the game section if that helps

i was skeptical at first because i usually tend to stick with first party products but this at the time was the only available option and so i tried it and it works great, still use it today

my original cord got frayed and damaged over time from laying in bed with the cord connected to charge as i play being bent a specific way

I bought my Vita (1000) about a year ago, and the seller didn't give me the charger for it. So I had to search around for one...managed to find an OEM one on Offer Up, but had to pay like $30 for it. There were a bunch of cheaper, third party ones on eBay, but I wanted something authentic. Either way it was harder to find one than it should be. 

Fellow Aussie here and long time owner of a PS Vita (1000).

I'd just go to Ebay or someplace online like that. I had to replace mine after nearly a decade of use as the insulator + wires at the charging end got real twisted.

Edited by Dry

Just go on ebay and buy a couple of the china ones, its not like the "authentic" ones are much better quality. I had the og ones and they ripped where the cord connects to the plug head with barely much use. Ended buying a few imitaton ones for backup and they work just as good and cheap like maybe $5 a cord.

After 2 original cables that broke from playing while charging I couldn't find any original ones from Sony anymore.

I ended up buying 2 or 3 from eBay and up to this day I'm still using the first one. It's way more durable than the original ones I bought. :) 
I also try to avoid playing while charging but I already did that on the 2nd original cable as well. 

Talking about a vita from release so the one with the proprietary connection.

Edited by Kolm