Ranking Videogame Movie Adaptations

LastMinuteSavior

It's unfortunate this is limited to video game movie adaptations (which is fine; no need for change) because I can't, say, add The Last Airbender, Dragon Ball Evolution, etc.

Media like The Last of Us is clearly a TV Show, so I don't know why that's been mentioned.

Gonna keep my list comfortably short for the first comment.

Based on the other popular scale that sees "5/10" as below average aka mediocre, "6/10" (moreso 6.5) as average/okay, and "7/10" as the starting point for good-

Good (7+/10):

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Detective Pikachu

(Fun Fact: I've seen these 3 movies (and TSMB) exactly 3 times.)

Tomb Raider (2018) (Last minute add after a virtually fresh rewatch the other day)

Mediocre/Bad (5/10 or below | or alternatively 4/10 or below based on most people's scaling view):

Uncharted

The Super Mario Bros.

On 7/16/2023 at 5:39 PM, Redgrave said:

I only saw the first Sonic movie and despite not being a big fan of the series I thought the movie itself was pretty good. I should probably watch the second one at some point since I know for the third one they are teasing Shadow in it and I want to see how that turns out. I would love it if they gave him guns like in the Shadow the Hedgehog game.

Which is really funny, because I know a Redgrave from another site who is a massive fan. If you actually were a fan of the series you'd understand why that idea you suggested is a horrible one (though I don't think being a fan is required to understand why either). However, some form of reference would be fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EcoShifter said:

Which is really funny, because I know a Redgrave from another site who is a massive fan. If you actually were a fan of the series you'd understand why that idea you suggested is a horrible one (though I don't think being a fan is required to understand why either). However, some form of reference would be fine.

Yeah, but I'm sure someone smart and creative like Phil Lord and Chris Miller (Jump Street, Lego Movie, Spider-Verse) could do hilarious stuff while keeping Shadow as an early 2000's type of edgy emo kid who loses his shit over guns and explosions.

• Like 2

Easily the Mortal Kombat films. Just the intro gets me hyped. I also liked Uncharted for what it is even though it's basically a Tomb Raider, Indiana Jones film.

I'm surprised people are mentioning The Last of Us and forgetting The Witcher when it comes to TV series seen as The Witcher has been everyone's hyped up game before. Both of which are amazing I might add. 

Back to the films I liked a few Resi films but some were garbage. Street fighter was good for it's time but re-watching is just impossible for how bad it actually is. 

We've done a whole 360 going from making films based on games to, games based on films and now back to films based on games lmao  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just saw Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City (2021) and to be honest the movie had some very good moments. Few iconic scenes even were greatly recreated imo. The mix up of the story of the first two games wasn't that bad either, but the movie takes like 40 mins until it finally starts to deliver. Also some things didn't work out well, for examples the look of characters like Wesker, Jill and especially Leon (who reminded me more of Carlos). And why the fuck did they make him act like a dipshit? Cgi looked bad sometimes, in other moments quite good. Anyways for a movie with a budget of only 25 million dollars it is the best Resident Evil movie up to date, at least for me.

I would long form serialized programming is a better medium than movies. There has been more success recently with live action shows like Twisted Metal, and Last of Us, and there is animated programming like Castlevania, Gungrave, the Super Mario Super Show and sequel series, and older live action programming like Where in the World is Carmen Sandiago? game show, etc. I wouldn't say any of the live action VG movie adaptations raise to the level of being excellent, I don't think I'd rate any I've seen above 3 stars.

Oof, this is going to be tough. I'll only include theatrically released movies I watched (so, no TV shows, TV movies, DTVs or OVAs). The order is worst to best:

24. House of the Dead (2003)

23. Bloodrayne (2005)

22. Street Fighter (1994)

21. Tekken: Blood Vengeance (2011)

20. Mortal Kombat: Annihilation (1997)

19. Resident Evil: Retribution (2012)

18. Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (2016)

17. DOA: Dead or Alive (2007)

16. Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (2001)

15. Resident Evil: Vendetta (2017)

14. Ratchet & Clank (2016)

13. Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV (2016)

12. Resident Evil (2002)

11. Resident Evil: Apocalypse (2004)

10. Resident Evil: Afterlife (2010)

9. Resident Evil: Extinction (2007)

8. Bayonetta: Bloody Fate (2013)

7. Resident Evil: Degeneration (2008)

6. Resident Evil: Damnation (2012)

5. Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture (1994)

4. Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children - Director's Cut (2005)

3. Sonic the Hedgehog (2020)

2. Mortal Kombat (1995)

1. Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie - Uncut (1994)