Forum account deletion.

On 10/8/2023 at 12:13 AM, HyzeDois said:

I see. If it really is a manual procedure then it's normal that it takes a while. I will just wait then, thank you for the input.

On 10/8/2023 at 12:37 AM, LadyGallethX3 said:

Wait in line guys, I requested a month ago and still waiting. I sent owner a message and he hasnt even read my message...

On 1/4/2024 at 5:19 PM, Countrydude1989 said:

Eh, if if i gotta nuke both just to get rid of this account, then so be it. Not ideal, but i'll live lol. 

But for the record, i want to leave as little online info as possible, id rather terminate an entire account if that means less "data" of me publically floating around if possible, i just like not having the public finding my data if im not using a service, since i wanna keep a presence of privacy, if ya know what i mean?(now i understand a business keeping records, but thats a whole other fish to fry imo)

On 2/19/2024 at 3:47 PM, Fing3rButt3r3 said:

There is no real answer, I know a few people who requested and did all that stuff but its been 4 months waiting for them still.

Okay the reality is that @Fing3rButt3r3 is pretty much right, there is no real answer. But I'm trying to make this as loud as possible until someone gets mad at me. I went ahead and asked the only guy who can be verified to have successfully had his forum profile deleted as far as I know. Huge shoutout to Kevao97 for not only being willing to provide this info to me, but also being willing to go on record to me as the one who provided it. Everything I'm about to provide is because of him and he deserves the thanks, it's really kind of him to help out like this.

I asked about his process and he said this to me:

Hmmmm, I understand. unfortunately sly is the only one capable of performing the deletion. It happened that, immediately after the function was implemented, I opened the deletion process on the same day and time, most likely being the first to do so, so the next day I was already completely deleted.

Furthermore
, there are some serious problems with the function, because the function deleted any and all associations I have with the main site/portal apart from the forum; I can no longer create or participate in sessions, because my account literally no longer exists.

In fact
, I'm still logged into the portal, but the account doesn't exist, so I'm in a limbo where if I log out it's over. unfortunately, this issue is on the same level as people who rely on sly to clear a flag or other more technical things that admin can't do.

There is a member who had his account deleted by the software by mistake and he never resolved it until today in several years
, Sly just don't care. I'm very sorry.

unfortunately the resolution depends on sending messages on his discord
, I managed to get him to respond to me at times over the years, regarding some flags that were later lifted (and reapplied) lol, some friends of mine are still waiting for a response to this day. Apparently I was very lucky in deleting the account.

In all reality, you guys do whatever you want with this information. But Kevao97 has always been someone you can trust to give honest accounts of the things he's dealing with. Whether you agree or not is entirely up to you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevieboy said:

I would like Sly to work flawlessly and instantly.

You're either gaslighting or just comfortable being a dick, it's your call. You don't have to care about any of the things we want as a community but most of the people I'm advocating for have been waiting for several months. Kindly fuck off with your passive-aggressive "flawlessly and instantly" garbage.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, kindajustin said:

You're either gaslighting or just comfortable being a dick, it's your call. You don't have to care about any of the things we want as a community but most of the people I'm advocating for have been waiting for several months. Kindly fuck off with your passive-aggressive "flawlessly and instantly" garbage.

I don't want to start an argument but i doubt he was doing either of those things.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, x49ersblitzkreig said:

I don't want to start an argument but i doubt he was doing either of those things.

Then provide a better answer on his behalf. The first one was stupid shit. Try again.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Stevieboy said:

I don't know what nonsense you were seeing when you tried reading between the lines, but you should have actually read the words I typed. I legit want Sly to actually do things this site needs, and in a timely manner, like he used to when the site was new.

I've said many times how I feel about Sly's inactivity. It's infuriating being a mod for a site you love when the admin doesn't seem to care.

I was seeing the fact that I, like many others, have lost all trust in you as a staff body. I'm sorry for interpreting your words in this specific situation in the most malevolent and negative way possible, but you guys have done nothing but fail me in every way I could think of in my time here. It's not fair that I hold that against you in this specific situation, but that's the honest answer as to why I was so aggressive. Sorry.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Stevieboy said:

I don't know what nonsense you were seeing when you tried reading between the lines, but you should have actually read the words I typed. I legit want Sly to actually do things this site needs, and in a timely manner, like he used to when the site was new.

I've said many times how I feel about Sly's inactivity. It's infuriating being a mod for a site you love when the admin doesn't seem to care.

So it would probably be accurate for me to say that my forum profile will mostly likely stick around for some time then?

I mean, Its not ideal, but i guess i'll just piddle around on here either until Sly replies, or i change my mind after the heat death of the universe, which ever comes first. It is what it is i guess, no biggie.

My question is: Can't Sly find a code somewhere online that he can implement onto the site so people can delete their accounts automatically?  If so, is he too lazy or too busy to go find and implement it? No hate to anyone on that comment It's just a thought I have.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Countrydude1989 said:

So it would probably be accurate for me to say that my forum profile will mostly likely stick around for some time then?

I mean, Its not ideal, but i guess i'll just piddle around on here either until Sly replies, or i change my mind after the heat death of the universe, which ever comes first. It is what it is i guess, no biggie.

It's difficult to say how long you could be waiting. It basically comes down to whenever Sly feels like doing it, unfortunately.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, x49ersblitzkreig said:

My question is: Can't Sly find a code somewhere online that he can implement onto the site so people can delete their accounts automatically?  If so, is he too lazy or too busy to go find and implement it? No hate to anyone on that comment It's just a thought I have.

I was wondering the same. Pretty much every other website in existence has the option. It would certainly reduce his workload and make it convenient for everyone to not have to wait.

• Like 3

Just now, BrightPurpleFin said:

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong, but at least from my knowledge of GDPR and EU regulations, isn't not deleting the profiles and whiping the relevant data to them potentially in breach of some laws?

You are right. If I am to be right about this someone could sue the owner of the site. Im not 100% sure but Im somewhat sure.

• Like 2

ok ok ok i did some reserch

Unless you have signed an agreement, and paid money for services, you cannot sue any online provider of services for screwing you or your account over—you have not taken a definable monetary loss.

edit: THIS WAS A GOOGLE SEARCH

Edited by x49ersblitzkreig
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, x49ersblitzkreig said:

I think it depends on the internal architecture. Databases can be very sensitive. Additionally, creating an easy-to-use delete function would likely be just as easily exploitable for hackers. I think at the very least, if it were a simple solution it would already be implemented.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ruexnimbus said:

I think it depends on the internal architecture. Databases can be very sensitive. Additionally, creating an easy-to-use delete function would likely be just as easily exploitable for hackers. I think at the very least, if it were a simple solution it would already be implemented.

True true.

6 hours ago, x49ersblitzkreig said:

ok ok ok i did some reserch

Unless you have signed an agreement, and paid money for services, you cannot sue any online provider of services for screwing you or your account over—you have not taken a definable monetary loss.

edit: THIS WAS A GOOGLE SEARCH

I think you propably were looking for this?
https://gdpr.eu/right-to-be-forgotten/

I dont see any relation of monetary loss as an requirement, but maybe I was just reading too fast.

Anyway, what I found is "undue delay" = "within one month".

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jinkelz said:

I think you propably were looking for this?
https://gdpr.eu/right-to-be-forgotten/

I dont see any relation of monetary loss as an requirement, but maybe I was just reading too fast.

Anyway, what I found is "undue delay" = "within one month".

They may or may not be right (and a Google search is usually not a definitive answer to legal questions like these) but their remark was about litigation on a personal basis. The GDPR is enforced by the respective national privacy authorities. As an individual you can file a complaint with said authority. If they investigate and find a breach of the GDPR they can administer a (hefty) fine. Only when the fine is contested may the case at one point end up in court.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb

Ok, wow.

So reading this thread I was a bit confused how there were members that had requested their accounts to be deleted months back but were still here, because I had noticed one of my followers showing up as "Deleted User", and their posts said <deleted>, so I thought Sly had approved their account deletion, but I went back and checked their profile only to notice that they had actually just changed their name and edited their last dozen or so posts to say <deleted>. 

Well, that's one way to do it till Sly gets to it. 😄

• Like 2