How to avoid the NE-21009009 Error + General Tips & Tricks

spellenboy

I will say I've definitely been able to get some wins with automatic transmission at what feels like a reasonable race depending on who I'm competing with, but yeah it definitely puts you at a serious disadvantage, and really hurts your ability to get a good pole time.

18 minutes ago, hore said:

So there's no actual penalty for physical contact? I was avoiding it to be safe, but tonight imma try to fuck up some Brazilians

so don’t quote me on this, but i think there is in some cases (again there might not be, cause I don’t remember ever getting a penalty for any type of contact with other drivers.), but subtle lovetaps, intentional rear ends, and subtle pit maneuvers never got me penalized. My biggest enemy was the penalty for cutting corners haha

13 minutes ago, barra333 said:

Driving tips like yours are exactly why online races in GTS and GT7 are a cesspit. The fact that you are happy to ruin someone else's day for the sake of a trophy is pretty sad. 

I understand your point, and you indeed don’t make friends with these things, however I wasn’t the only one doing it. i’m not trying to justify this, but the fact that it does help increase your wins is why i did it.

Edited by spellenboy
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, spellenboy said:

My biggest enemy was the penalty for cutting corners haha

Speaking of which, am I crazy or is there no reason not to cut on the last lap? Since the forced penalty slowdown only seems to occur on the next lap

The penalty system seems so arbitrary overall. There's one corner in Monza that has a massive cut opportunity that doesn't penalize you half the time

44 minutes ago, barra333 said:

Driving tips like yours are exactly why online races in GTS and GT7 are a cesspit. The fact that you are happy to ruin someone else's day for the sake of a trophy is pretty sad. 

If someone's day is ruined by losing a virtual race, we're doing them a favor by preparing them for the real world 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hore said:

Speaking of which, am I crazy or is there no reason not to cut on the last lap? Since the forced penalty slowdown only seems to occur on the next lap

The penalty system seems so arbitrary overall. There's one corner in Monza that has a massive cut opportunity that doesn't penalize you half the time

Now that you mention it…… i never actually thought about it. If you can give me confirmation on that, i’ll put in the post. Cause that would be a great strat too. I would test it myself, but I don’t own the game anymore. Sold it after i got the plat, not gonna buy it anymore now (for obvious reasons). when i played i had Fuji circuit. iirc the penalty point was just before the finish line, but i’m not sure. Could also differ per track. 

7 minutes ago, hore said:

Any penalty you have when you cross the finish line is added to your race time. Half seconds are rounded up. 

7 minutes ago, hore said:

If someone's day is ruined by losing a virtual race, we're doing them a favor by preparing them for the real world 

Says more about the person being a dick for the sake of an online trophy. Some people only have time for one or two races a day to relax - having some clown ram them off is absolutely going to ruin their experience. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, barra333 said:

Any penalty you have when you cross the finish line is added to your race time. Half seconds are rounded up. 

Says more about the person being a dick for the sake of an online trophy. Some people only have time for one or two races a day to relax - having some clown ram them off is absolutely going to ruin their experience. 

Interesting; so I guess it's possible to place 2nd despite being in the lead, if you have a penalty when crossing the line

And I promise you, anyone who is enough of a threat to be targeted by rammers plays way more than 1-2 races per day lol. Most lobbies I enter are dominated by a single person that keeps playing (and winning) the same daily over and over again.

Besides, the SR and DR ratings were designed specifically to keep bad/dirty racers away from good/clean ones, so the fault lies with Polyphony for letting E-C ranks play with B-S ranks. A dwindling playerbase does not justify this - I'm sure players would prefer smaller lobbies over toxic ones

Edited by hore
  • Like 1

I would suggest not to force the use of manual transmission if you're not comfortable with it.  It's 100% possible to do the poles and wins with automatic transmission.  I did them with that while using face buttons to accelerate and brake, so there can be more leeway than you'd think.  The one non-negotiable factor to me is 0 traction control.  If you don't have that, someone else will and is likely to be faster than you.  Also, I noticed a few times when I was running my last race of the day at 12:20/12:40 a.m. that fields were significantly weaker than usual, so night owls might be able to steal some cheap wins.

As for disconnects, I was often able to resolve the issues by changing my connection from wired to wi-fi or vice versa.  It must somehow reset the connection on the game's servers. Maybe that's why the original poster found the most success for their method while on wi-fi.  I can confirm that it does somehow work better than a wired connection, even though that doesn't make sense.

3 minutes ago, grimydawg___ said:

You'll definitely get penalized for contact, it depends on the type of contact, though.  I wouldn't try cutting the track. 

Now that you say it. I’m sure that it is the following: 

Subtile contact is allowed (just enough for the methods i have listed) 

Semi-hard Rams 

Super hard intentional Rams will turn you non-contact 

I think polyphony took into consideration that some level of contact will always happen, and cannot be avoided. That’s why they’ll allow the “rubbing is racing”. Would indeed be super annoying that with every slight contact you’d get hit with a penalty.

Like i know my methods work they are the whole reason i got my 91 wins trophy far before my poles or even 322 races completed trophy. You just have to find that sweetspot, unless they updated the game in the meantime and then all this is now irrelevant.

11 minutes ago, spellenboy said:

Now that you say it. I’m sure that it is the following: 

Subtile contact is allowed (just enough for the methods i have listed) 

Semi-hard Rams 

Super hard intentional Rams will turn you non-contact 

I think polyphony took into consideration that some level of contact will always happen, and cannot be avoided. That’s why they’ll allow the “rubbing is racing”. Would indeed be super annoying that with every slight contact you’d get hit with a penalty.

Like i know my methods work they are the whole reason i got my 91 wins trophy far before my poles or even 322 races completed trophy. You just have to find that sweetspot, unless they updated the game in the meantime and then all this is now irrelevant.

It's common sense.  Don't go out and play Mario Kart and you should be fine.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, yankee-fan85 said:

I would suggest not to force the use of manual transmission if you're not comfortable with it.  It's 100% possible to do the poles and wins with automatic transmission.  I did them with that while using face buttons to accelerate and brake, so there can be more leeway than you'd think.  The one non-negotiable factor to me is 0 traction control.  If you don't have that, someone else will and is likely to be faster than you.  Also, I noticed a few times when I was running my last race of the day at 12:20/12:40 a.m. that fields were significantly weaker than usual, so night owls might be able to steal some cheap wins.

As for disconnects, I was often able to resolve the issues by changing my connection from wired to wi-fi or vice versa.  It must somehow reset the connection on the game's servers. Maybe that's why the original poster found the most success for their method while on wi-fi.  I can confirm that it does somehow work better than a wired connection, even though that doesn't make sense.

I may have over exaggerated a bit saying it’s not possible on automatic, But i’m typing all this from my own personal experience. I’m guessing now with the increase in player base a lot more players are racing automatic. Which will in turn balance out if you’re also racing automatic. So i will change that. Fact is that manual is still the better choice, but if you really can’t i guess automatic is possible. 

as far as the connection issues go, i had the same problem everyone else is facing kept getting disconnected. Got annoyed and took to a Gran Turismo Discord. There i had someone tell me these exact steps with this exact reason: 

“So that others can’t join the lobby because your connection is viewed as “unplayable with others”

so i did that, It didn’t exactly do what the guy said, (it only did 4 times), but it did magically fix my connection issues for me (for some reason, somehow.) I wasn’t lying when i said: 

i went from only being able to join 1 race every 3 - 4 hours to only being disconnected once or twice every 3 - 4 hours.” 

that’s actually what it did for me and also told a couple others at the time and it did the same for them too. however maybe it could be different now as the game is another year older and more people play now.

it’s weird tho cause i was on wifi the whole time

Edited by spellenboy
  • Like 1

It surprises me that until now no one has taken notice of these tips to get the most out of Sport mode. A friend of mine gave me these tips and I managed to do it during the pandemic period when there were a lot more players, in two weeks I managed to get pole and victory trophies in half of the races completed. The funniest thing is that after that I started to play more calmly without worrying about victories and until the 322 runs I managed almost double that.

As always it's funny when someone says trophy hunters are dirty on a trophy hunter website lol

Even more than 99% of those who play seriously are on GT7.

Edited by LucasDragon570
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, LucasDragon570 said:

As always it's funny when someone says trophy hunters are dirty on a trophy hunter website lol

In general I don't give a shit how people earn trophies but when it comes at the expense of innocent players just going about their day, I get annoyed.

• Like 2

On 10/9/2023 at 5:28 PM, hore said:

I mean I believe it does add that time to your final time.

On 10/9/2023 at 8:56 PM, spellenboy said:

Hi all, 

with the upcoming server shutdown u decided to spill the beans on everything i know to make this game more bearable and maintain your sanity. So in this thread i will explain strats & methods that will help you win more races. 

(Small disclaimer. All this is based off of my own personal experience as of June 2022, but it should still apply as of now October 2023)

to start of i want to address some basic information:

1. This game is 70% skill, 10% setup, and 20% luck.

2. Boosting this game is not possible whilst you may end of getting matched with a friend(s) they can’t do much if anything during the race to help you win, so don’t even bother imo. 
3. Only do race A, thats where you will have the most change of winning as everyone is equal and it mostly depends on your skill. Race B is more luck than skill as someone will always have a better car/ setup than you cause that’s where the absolute E-sport level pro’s usually race. Race C is basically just a why? Don’t even bother with that one if you want to keep your sanity

4. Some people swear by that a wheel makes these trophies easier, whilst this is more to personal preference, i’ve found that it doesn’t matter whether you have a wheel or not, so if you have one, be sure to try it. if you’re like me, and don’t have one, don’t worry you’ll be fine.

now, for the actual tips and tricks. 

How to avoid the infamous NE-21009009 Error?

Unfortunately whilst there is no way to 100% avoid this infamous error there is a way to (massively) reduce this error. For that you will have to do the following steps; 

1. Close the game (if it’s currently running) 

2. Go to internet settings and set up your internet connection manually 

3. Leave everything the way it is, but change your MTU settings to 750 (by default it’s on 1500)

4. Reboot your console and launch the game, you will now experience far less disconnects than before

(deleting that temporarily online data from the in game menus i’ve seen thrown around everywhere doesn’t work within the slightest so don’t even bother)

This will worsen your connection by a bit, and thus will let you join more lobbies (for some reason) when i played this game about 1,5 years ago i went from only being able to join 1 race every 3 - 4 hours to only being disconnected once or twice every 3 - 4 hours.
(If you don’t notice any difference, try switching to wifi (if you’re on cable that is), if you still don’t notice any difference try switching to Ps4 and connect with the modified MTU settings to your wifi network. If you still experience the same issues then there is unfortunately no fix for you)

if the MTU method does work (and it should) now you can possibly get into some solo lobbies too, yes you read that right, Solo Lobbies it is very rare, but they can happen, no you don’t need multiple players for a race to start. this game just automatically starts a race every 15min not caring about the amount of players, it just always happens cause there will always be some people trying to join a race too. In rare occasions after doing this method you will lag out and be in a solo lobby, this only happened 4 times in the time that i played and platted this game. And yes for you curious out there this will be a guaranteed pole position and win.  

for you skeptics out there, here’s proof; 

https://reddit.com/r/GranTurismoSport/s/knZVVW609C

Now lets move on to the in game Tips, Tricks, and strats: 

During qualifying 

this should go without saying, But ALWAYS qualify, if you have a killer qualifying time not only will you get the pole position for the trophy, but you will already have an advantage over the other racers. The top 3 on the starting grid will always have the most chance of winning the race. In order to have a good qualifying time you will need to do the following:

The Setup

this is probably the most important part if you want to win a race, in Race A most setups won’t be available and that is what you want, you need it to be as equal as possible, whilst you can have an advantage with a different setup and thus have an advantage over the other players in Race B, for the majority this will be far above your skill level. 
Preferably race in manual as this will give you a major advantage over the players that race in automatic, as the people that race in automatic will almost never be in the most optimal gear to turn corners and thus will be generally a lot slower. Tho you can still get wins racing with the automatic transmission it’s generally not recommended.
Same goes with the Traction control, traction control acts similar to an automatic brake in this game which is not what you want. So always put this on 0 however if you find yourself slipping and sliding a lot or even just spinning out completely putting it on 1 is fine too, this will make you slightly slower, however good racing lines will compensate that.
Talking about racing lines, in the settings there is a setting for a racing line, this also works in the online, so always turn this on. Racing lines show you the optimal place to be in and what angle to take corners and such, it also indicates when and how hard you should brake. 

But how do i set a killer qualifying lap time?

in order to set the best possible qualifying time there is a very good way of doing that, this game features leaderboards, and it also records your gameplay of the laptime, simply look up the nr.1 on the leaderboard that has the fastest laptime on the current circuit, watch the replay of his run, and exactly copy what he does, study exactly where he steers, where he brakes, where he goes half throttle, where he goes full throttle (accelerates), and most importantly where he upshifts / downshifts, what gears he is on what parts of the track etc and exactly copy that, this will tremendously help you improve your laptime. now you probably won’t get close at first, but keep practicing the qualifying, exactly copy the nr. 1 on the leaderboard. Before you even start to race against others do a few dozen qualifying laps, the first lap is always the slowest as your car isn’t up to speed yet. But, keep practicing keep perfecting your laptime, even in between races go into qualifying and practice laps, a race only starts every 15 min, so set a timer or something. the tracks only change once a month, so plenty of time to learn and master the track. Just this alone will greatly increase your change of winning races. 

During races

i figured i’d mention the driver rating as having a higher driver rating (which you’ll get by winning a lot of races) will match you up with other players equal to that, which in turn makes it more difficult. And thus you want to purposely lower it so you get matched up with lower skilled drivers, which in turn will make it easier. When i platted this game in mid 2022 I didn’t have to worry about this, as the game was kinda dead to the point that no matter my rating i was matched up with the same people regardless, however at this time due to the influx in players regarding the server shutdown it is again relevant, however I don’t have any further information on this, so if anyone does, please drop it down below, Thanks.

Now to continue, there are a few strats that will help you increase your chances of winning during races those being: 

Slipstreaming 

slipstreaming consists of drafting behind players which will gain you an additional speed boost this can assist you getting wins. 

these next 4 strats are very affective, but will not make you any friends.

this game features an anti-cheat system, basically when the game thinks you’re about to intentionally ram another player depending on the situation it’ll penalize you, or make you a ghost, aka non contact, whilst this is an amazing system it can be exploited to your advantage, with the following 4 methods, those being:

love tapping other racers

this method is very affective to wipe out opponents in-front of you when you turn a corner whilst you cannot actually ram racers from behind with any level of force, you can give them a so called “love tap” it’s very effective especially in sharp corners. To pull this off effectively you will have to be close behind your opponent when entering a corner and slightly bump them from behind. (So brake, but not too hard you want your car to keep rolling and tap the person in front of you) this will make them over shoot the corner, and worst case, have them make a slower turn around the corner, good case have them overshoot into the grass / hit the wall, and best case have them spinout/ crash completely, again it will take some practice to pull it off, but it can be very affective. You will get a lot of angry messages tho. 

having people love-tap you

Whilst being love tapped from behind whilst in a corner yourself is very annoying, this can be used to your advantage on straights and especially just before the finish line, there is a slight bug in the game that will give you an additional short speed boost if you tap the brakes when someone is behind you and he bumps into you, depending on the quality of the connection of that person it can determine the strength of the speed boost in rare occasions it can give you such a powerful speed boost you shoot forward, the game thinks you’re cheating, makes you non-contact and you can overtake the people infront of you by going straight through them (happened to me several times), again, this will take some practice to get right, if the car is too far behind you, you either not gain any speed boost and just intentionally brake, causing the other racers to swerve around and overtake you, or spin out, so again, this takes some practice but you can get it to work in your advantage. 

pitting / fishtailing other racers

Again this will take some practice, and it’s exactly what it sounds like. Not much into to be given on here, just do it subtle and practice it, it can be used to your advantage. 

blocking other racers

This is exactly what it sounds like, only affective when you’re close to the finish line and in 1st place, basically look behind you and try to not let anyone pass you, even if they have you can push them into the wall, be careful tho cause you can get fishtailed and spinout. 

(For all these 4 methods listed above you have to practice and find the sweet spot. Bump them to hard or from the wrong angle and you may be penalized or be turned non contact and thus miss your braking point / racing line.)

tho these 4 methods work thus increasing your chances of getting race wins (if done right) , they generally don’t give you a good reputation amongst your fellow racers.

That being said, i think this is everything there is you need to know to give you the best chance at winning races, if there’s anything i left out feel free to comment it down below, again this game is mostly skill dependent so practice and it should be doable, i did the entire online within a month and platted the game in less than 2 months, and so can you. 

good luck to you all!

I’m still struggling to get into races without disconnecting. Could it be because I’m doing it on ps5? 

On 10/11/2023 at 6:42 AM, blkburn123 said:

I’m still struggling to get into races without disconnecting. Could it be because I’m doing it on ps5? 

I'm thinking that's probably not it. I've been playing on PS5 and I know a number of people have been and not had any issues. I had two disconnects which doesn't appear to be out of the ordinary for NA region.

Unless you're just talking about how the network settings fix doesn't seem to have solved it on PS5? Maybe that could be if the PS5 is just not slowed down enough by it. I don't know for sure. I just know the game does like PS5 just fine, but I don't know how it might interact with the fix spellen suggested if maybe the problem lies there.

Edited by Chettlar

Yeh a few months ago it wouldn’t connect all the time. If I restarted the game it would work for a bit.  Now since everyone jumped back on I’m struggling to get into races. Tried to slowing it down and still doesn’t get me into races. Getting about 2/3 races a day atm

On 10/11/2023 at 7:42 AM, blkburn123 said:

It's because your PSN account region (United Kingdom) is linked to the EMEA region for GT Sport, which has been dealing with connection issues for some time now. North/Central/South America and Asia/Oceania PSN accounts don't have all of the connection problems for GT Sport like the EMEA region does. 

Edited by x7251

On 10/13/2023 at 12:46 AM, x7251 said:

It's because your PSN account region (United Kingdom) is linked to the EMEA region for GT Sport, which has been dealing with connection issues for some time now. North/Central/South America and Asia/Oceania PSN accounts don't have all of the connection problems for GT Sport like the EMEA region does. 

I have that to in europe version but think about download us  version to boost fast