PAL version runs 30% slower, HUGE time disadvantage

Optinooby

17 minutes ago, Mastodon_Slayer said:

PAL version is 50hz, the others is 60hz.

Yea a lot of players dont really know what that means by itself and absolutely no problem with that as its just an old TV thing.

This is why i've tried to break it down here with the important parts ;)

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, stevo937 said:

Is there a way to change from 50hz to 60hz?

Probably not as it's part of the programming of the game, which actually made sense back in the day when televisions in different regions had different refresh rates.

What it effectively means is that for every second in real time, the PAL version creates 50 frames during which the gameplay action progresses, and the NTSC version creates 60. This of course means that the game runs 20% faster for the 60Hz version, which is always fun when there is a trophy/achievement/rank that you need a specific completion time for.

Kind of a strange thing that this is a factor in a port like this, but supposedly that just says something about the effort — or lack of such — that went into this port.

• Like 1

Yes it means if your EU, but don't talk ENG then you have the biggest disadvantage because the US version isnt really useful for you as its still in a language you dont understand.

It wouldnt be too much of a problem, the major thing about it is what @IDiivil mentioned, any time completion trophies.

Everything runs slower, but stupidly enough, the in-game timer always runs the same no matter the version. I guess as that perhaps uses the hidden system clock (not the visible system time).

It may not be a big problem, I mean still plenty of time to play with, but something you need to take into consideration.

It's funny with the JAP version being easier as well, some players are complaining that it makes things too easy and they don't think it should be used. But then some of us already have a disadvantage compared to others. So in a way, those complaining about players using the JAP version or glitches to make Foxhound easier, should actually be using the slower 50hz versions as default, because any other version, is easier! Doesn't bother me at all, just saying ;)

I've decided to play the Integral version now, but does that mean those complaining about JAP players will complain about those playing Integral now or the US versions because they run quicker? Wouldnt surprise

36 minutes ago, stevo937 said:

Is there a way to change from 50hz to 60hz?

I think there is a way but its very complicated and expensive iirc. I remember having a little google a while back when playing CVX. Requires messing about with TVs and such, I dunno I vaguely recall

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Optinooby said:

Think i'm just going to play Integral, lets you skip that cutscene in the final boss fight anyway which saves 5 to 10 mins! Plus this way, you unlock the Integral Ninja Missions, which means you can do the VR trophy on Integral which is 30% quicker than PAL

Are we certain that playing the VR missions on Integral will unlock the trophy? I know people have said that it didn't unlock unless you played them via the Special Missions launcher as opposed to the VR Missions launcher.

16 minutes ago, bikeman223 said:

Are we certain that playing the VR missions on Integral will unlock the trophy? I know people have said that it didn't unlock unless you played them via the Special Missions launcher as opposed to the VR Missions launcher.

Apparently so yes, but on the Integral VR Missions, you unlock the Ninja VR Missions by finishing the game on Easy or above with the highest rank for that difficulty.

So until you unlock the Ninja VR Missions, the list will say 97% complete or so.

It's the only VR Missions that run at 60hz and will pop the trophy it seems.

What's weird about the Integral Game App, is that if you click on 'Edit Game Saves', there is an option to 'Transfer Completed Save' or something similar which isn't on the other game apps. So makes me wonder if you can say for example, complete Metal Gear Solid UK standard version, then go into Integral and copy the completed save across, then access the Ninja Missions that way........... really dunno what that means, i'll try and find out

Edited by Optinooby

41 minutes ago, Mugen4Ever said:

Guess you could say that we have the "European Extreme" version then. 😏

I remember reading at easter one time that they added European Extreme because we were complaining Extreme was too easy and Japan was the opposite, thats why they removed all difficulties there except for Very Easy

Edited by Optinooby

6 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

I remember reading at easter one time that they added European Extreme because we were complaining Extreme was too easy and Japan was the opposite, thats why they removed all difficulties there except for Very Easy

Any rough estimate on when your guide will be up mate? No rush but happy to wait for it as know it will be top notch as always.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Darth_Krid said:

Any rough estimate on when your guide will be up mate? No rush but happy to wait for it as know it will be top notch as always.

The MGS Foxhound rank should be tomorrow, this is it

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16z3PsespqOw_92INJwLEdP4jYU7TSkGzk5or_Z2hW40/edit?usp=drivesdk

It was done on the UK version though, so im running through it again now on Integral while doing my 'Polishing the Route' run (adding best save locations and such), then will record and post the text here tomorrow hopefully.

At the latest Monday, but should be tomorrow. VR Missions are a ways of yet though as i've been doing the main game first.

I gotta say though, a lot of the fights are awkward due to the outdates controls

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 1

i knew it felt kinda...different. I had the original german version for ps1, so i took the chance too finally play it in english and it felt...different. like i did the same as back then but still sometimes got a bit different result. Maybe that's why I struggled in some parts on easy, because I'm used to have it slower i guess XD

1 minute ago, Rewemarkt66 said:

i knew it felt kinda...different. I had the original german version for ps1, so i took the chance too finally play it in english and it felt...different. like i did the same as back then but still sometimes got a bit different result. Maybe that's why I struggled in some parts on easy, because I'm used to have it slower i guess XD

The German version is PAL as well isn't it??

Yea, it definitely feels different. Itd not that its harder, you just get used to the speed and the timings and stuff are all different due to different speeds.

I Foxhounded the PAL version, now im doing the US version and im having to tweak stuff that i in depth tested on the PAL version. With US/JAP version being quicker though, seems to be the best version so thats what im going to go by as default from now on

14 hours ago, Optinooby said:

Apparently so yes, but on the Integral VR Missions, you unlock the Ninja VR Missions by finishing the game on Easy or above with the highest rank for that difficulty.

So until you unlock the Ninja VR Missions, the list will say 97% complete or so.

It's the only VR Missions that run at 60hz and will pop the trophy it seems.

Interesting, hopefully you can confirm it as that would alter my plans. Currently, if I attempted it I’d do a couple of fun playthroughs on NTSC, FOX run on the Japanese version and then tackle the VR through the Special Missions app to be safe. Though I fully admit this isn’t the most optimal route to get the plat. Maybe they’ll fix the VR mission trophy in an update.

Edited by bikeman223

The major issue this caused with Code Veronica is that it made the Battle Game mode almost impossible to A rank. Even with this disadvantage, I would have thought that the trophies for MGS are more than doable.

On 11/11/2023 at 12:45 PM, IDiivil said:

Kind of a strange thing that this is a factor in a port like this, but supposedly that just says something about the effort — or lack of such — that went into this port.

Capcom couldn't be bothered to fix this issue either, so Konami's failure to do so isn't surprising.