does auto sync always enable after a update?

melodicmizery

i been noticing on my ps4 auto sync overwriting my saves and screwing me over and i cant figure out why its been doing it randomly the past year since ive never ever used that stupid option. i got a ps5 about a year ago and dont use it much, but i noticed that has been auto syncing as well. 2 days ago i had a ps5 firmware update and then when i went to back up a save it  said the auto was enabled and it would switch to manual. this made me a bit livid because the game im playing if you mess up you have to redo the entire game if you dont have backup saves.

has anyone else had this problem with it turning on continuously by itself? or what the hell is causing it? the only thing i can match the reason to is the update because its not me enabling it. ive turned it off i dunno how many times now

• Like 1

I think OP does the same, but for some reason it enables auto upload after an update. For me it stays on Manuel, I've only disabled it once when I got my PS5.

Edit: I misread, I thought you ment the PS5 saves, never had the problem with the PS4 either. Only turned it off once years ago.

Edited by CabDK
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, CabDK said:

I think OP does the same, but for some reason it enables auto upload after an update. For me it stays on Manuel, I've only disabled it once when I got my PS5.

Edit: I misread, I thought you ment the PS5 saves, never had the problem with the PS4 either. Only turned it off once years ago.

correct on the first part, i never use auto upload.

i  never had this problem with any system it seems until i got ps5. it seems like ps5 for some reason is enabling it, which then enables it on ps4 as well. and the only thing i can connect it to is firmware update. not sure what else can be causing this. it switches on and i dont even know till a month later or something sometimes and then notice a bunch of stuff uploaded that i never upploaded and see in the ps5 options its on auto upload and then i have to turn it off again.

12 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

I never use the auto-upload on my PS3, PS4 or Vita because in my experience it's buggy and unreliable so I stick to manual backups at all times.

same i use only manual saves. but my problem is ps5 is enabling auto upload by itself. which is then enabling it on my ps4 as well. im pretty sure its the ps5 doing it. but not exactly sure why. i disable it, and it enables again at some point and i dont realize it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, melodicmizery said:

correct on the first part, i never use auto upload.

i  never had this problem with any system it seems until i got ps5. it seems like ps5 for some reason is enabling it, which then enables it on ps4 as well. and the only thing i can connect it to is firmware update. not sure what else can be causing this. it switches on and i dont even know till a month later or something sometimes and then notice a bunch of stuff uploaded that i never upploaded and see in the ps5 options its on auto upload and then i have to turn it off again.

same i use only manual saves. but my problem is ps5 is enabling auto upload by itself. which is then enabling it on my ps4 as well. im pretty sure its the ps5 doing it. but not exactly sure why. i disable it, and it enables again at some point and i dont realize it

Yes it sounds like it's the PS5 that is doing this. You probably already did this, but if you did not, I would also turn auto upload off for PS5 saves. That is the only thing i can think of.

On 11/13/2023 at 12:52 PM, poker_1987 said:

I use auto upload and regularly swap between ps4 and 2 ps5s. Works great 

i dont want to use it, at all, ever. but for some reason it keeps turning on itself

On 11/13/2023 at 5:55 AM, CabDK said:

Yes it sounds like it's the PS5 that is doing this. You probably already did this, but if you did not, I would also turn auto upload off for PS5 saves. That is the only thing i can think of.

crazy thing is ive turned it off multiple times, and it keeps re enabling at some point. 

• 2 months later...

I only just noticed yesterday how the PS5 auto-sync function works and I’m completely dismayed that they went and changed it for the worse like that. 😕

For years on PS4 I got into the habit of having auto-upload to the cloud enabled, and putting my console into rest mode every night when I was finished playing. This meant that 1) I never had to think about backing up my saves files, and 2) I always had a “safe” save file as recent as the beginning of my gaming session to fall back if something bad happened, ie. data corruption, a game breaking glitch, or a major mistake in game. Having a previous save file to fall back on saved me countless hours more than once.

With the way that PS5 auto-syncs your saves to the cloud while you’re actually playing the game, all it takes is one unfortunate glitch or data corruption and you would have to completely redo an entire game from scratch because there’s no previous save file to fall back on. I turned auto-sync off immediately upon discovering this, but hearing that this feature can re-enable itself is concerning.

As a solution, Sony really needs to add an option to have timed auto-syncs and the ability to store multiple files in the cloud at once. For example, you could have your present save file, a file that saves and overwrites itself every few hours or so, and one that does the same every 24 hours etc.

They also really need to re-add the option to manually copy PS5 saves to USB as well. I can’t believe they removed that. The cloud storage function is very important to me and is one of the single biggest reasons I can justify paying for PS+, and I just don’t know why they’ve gone and made it so inconvenient for PS5 users.

On 2/3/2024 at 2:14 PM, MidnightDragon said:

I made sure to turn it off when I first got my PS5 since I didn't want to accidentally screw myself. 

yah but the topic is why does it turn back on for no reason randomly. i just booted my ps5 a  few days ago and had another firmware update and it didnt enable auto uploads this time. but yet again i still have no clue why it turned itself on. because its not a feature i like nor have i ever wanted to use because im specific that i need old saves just in case i miss something or something glitches. so far it seems to only be happening to me, and i dont know why. but since my last post it hasnt re enabled itself again.