Team Building and Character Advice

TIReckoningIT

For anyone fresh to this game or even later on if you need help with relic sets and dont wanna browse 10 different youtube guides, id highly advise using this website: https://www.prydwen.gg/star-rail/characters/

You can check out recommended synergizing teams/Relic Main and substats/ Talent Priorization and much more.

If you're trying to aim and platinum this game quickly its smart to check which are worth investing into your team. the earlier the better since every used ressource requires more grinding on your part

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

That looks useful.

I started the game about 2 weeks ago (I think), and now I'm starting to be unsure in what to prioritize, since it started to be impossible for me to even get all my characters to max level.. And I don't really have time to research a lot on what to focus as of now..

Currently I have been essentially focusing on the following characters to keep 1 of each elements at high levels:

Trailbrazer lvl70 (since he is needed for story at some points..)

Natasha lvl65 (always on my teams..)

March 7th lvl60 (almost always on my teams..)

Serval lvl60

Welt lvl60

Guinaifen lvl60

Seele lvl60

Dan Heng lvl60

I also have:

Yukong lvl50; Tingyun lvl50; Hook lvl50; Sushang lvl41; Bronya lvl40; Clara lvl40; Luka lvl40; Sampo lvl40; Asta lvl40; Qingque lvl40; Herta lvl40; Huohuo lvl40 and Arlan lvl1

From a quick look, I think that I should also bring up Tingyun, Bronya and Huohuo up to speed, but I'm open for suggestions on what I can do with those characters.

I'm somewhere on the 3rd planet now 

Spoiler

Defeated the Deer tree guardian boss.

Also, I'm unsure if it's wise to improve the Equilibrium level as soon as possible to open up the new material or if I should grind more before increasing the Equilibrium level. When I hit Equilibrium level, the change in difficulty didn't felt that bad, but now at Equilibrium level 4, I start to have a few issues here and there..

PS: I'm not yet playing on PS5, only on mobile, but my long time plan is to get plat+ 100%, so, I'm staying for the long ride, not just the platinum.

On 11/26/2023 at 7:15 PM, Han_the_Dragon said:

Thanks!

That looks useful.

I started the game about 2 weeks ago (I think), and now I'm starting to be unsure in what to prioritize, since it started to be impossible for me to even get all my characters to max level.. And I don't really have time to research a lot on what to focus as of now..

Currently I have been essentially focusing on the following characters to keep 1 of each elements at high levels:

Serval lvl60

Welt lvl60

Guinaifen lvl60

Seele lvl60

Dan Heng lvl60

I also have:

Yukong lvl50; Tingyun lvl50; Hook lvl50; Sushang lvl41; Bronya lvl40; Clara lvl40; Luka lvl40; Sampo lvl40; Asta lvl40; Qingque lvl40; Herta lvl40; Huohuo lvl40 and Arlan lvl1

From a quick look, I think that I should also bring up Tingyun, Bronya and Huohuo up to speed, but I'm open for suggestions on what I can do with those characters.

Reveal hidden contents

Also, I'm unsure if it's wise to improve the Equilibrium level as soon as possible to open up the new material or if I should grind more before increasing the Equilibrium level. When I hit Equilibrium level, the change in difficulty didn't felt that bad, but now at Equilibrium level 4, I start to have a few issues here and there..

PS: I'm not yet playing on PS5, only on mobile, but my long time plan is to get plat+ 100%, so, I'm staying for the long ride, not just the platinum.

You have some good team possibilities there. 

I would go with Seele, Bronya, Fire Trailblazer and Huohuo. 

I tried Tingyun, but had a lot more success with Bronya. 

Im trying to pull Huohou but it’s difficult as F2P

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DigitalKong said:

You have some good team possibilities there. 

I would go with Seele, Bronya, Fire Trailblazer and Huohuo. 

I tried Tingyun, but had a lot more success with Bronya. 

Im trying to pull Huohou but it’s difficult as F2P

Ok, thanks for the suggestion!

It will take a while for me to re-spec them but will focus on it.

Ya, F2P is always a hard way to go, and I just got really lucky with those.

I'm still 100% F2P, but I barely scratched the surface of the game yet..

On 11/26/2023 at 2:15 PM, Han_the_Dragon said:

Thanks!

That looks useful.

Serval lvl60

Welt lvl60

Guinaifen lvl60

Seele lvl60

Dan Heng lvl60

I also have:

Reveal hidden contents

Don't focus on building one of each element, you're just spreading your resources thin. What you should do is build one or two DPS units and then build supports to back them up. Definitely build Seele to be your go to damage dealer. Build Bronya and Huohuo (she'll replace Nat and is a much more effective choice) for your supports. Tingyun is a great investment too. Eventually you'll need two separate teams to clear MoC, but you don't really need to worry about that for now. Just do what you can for now. It'd be best to roll another main DPS eventually. Maybe Kafka who'll probably rerun soon enough since you're already investing in Guinaifen and Sampo.

Yes you should upgrade your equilibrium level immediately and this is also part of the reason why it's a good idea to focus on building 4 main units for now - so you have an easier time of handling the level upgrade. If you start investing in Seele and support her with Huohuo and Bronya, you should have no trouble dealing with higher equilibriums. Also make sure to upgrade your traces and lightcones. Better to improve these early on as opposed to farming for relics since they're a guaranteed stat boost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevengeancePrime said:

Don't focus on building one of each element, you're just spreading your resources thin. What you should do is build one or two DPS units and then build supports to back them up. Definitely build Seele to be your go to damage dealer. Build Bronya and Huohuo (she'll replace Nat and is a much more effective choice) for your supports. Tingyun is a great investment too. Eventually you'll need two separate teams to clear MoC, but you don't really need to worry about that for now. Just do what you can for now. It'd be best to roll another main DPS eventually. Maybe Kafka who'll probably rerun soon enough since you're already investing in Guinaifen and Sampo.

Yes you should upgrade your equilibrium level immediately and this is also part of the reason why it's a good idea to focus on building 4 main units for now - so you have an easier time of handling the level upgrade. If you start investing in Seele and support her with Huohuo and Bronya, you should have no trouble dealing with higher equilibriums. Also make sure to upgrade your traces and lightcones. Better to improve these early on as opposed to farming for relics since they're a guaranteed stat boost.

Ok, Already Ascent them to keep leveling up (the lvl up items are actually my limiting factor as of now..)

Ya, I should look better into the relics and lightcones for each, since I feel like I already wasted quite a bit of resources on "random" purple ones..

I think that I can grab Kafka for free after 300 poles from the regular rail pass pool, but ya, I'm still far from it..

4 minutes ago, Milktastrophe said:

You should level Arlan to 20 to get a free rail pass.

True lol, but I'm starving for EXP items, so, I keep using them on my higher level characters.. And Arlan was actually the very last character that I got..

2 hours ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

Ok, Already Ascent them to keep leveling up (the lvl up items are actually my limiting factor as of now..)

Ya, I should look better into the relics and lightcones for each, since I feel like I already wasted quite a bit of resources on "random" purple ones..

I think that I can grab Kafka for free after 300 poles from the regular rail pass pool, but ya, I'm still far from it..

True lol, but I'm starving for EXP items, so, I keep using them on my higher level characters.. And Arlan was actually the very last character that I got..

Don't worry about relics for now because they're heavily RNG. Traces + character and lightcone levels should be your priority because these are stats that have no RNG, so it guarantees improvements to your characters. There are some decent lightcones in Herta's SU shop, so look into those eventually. It'll take some time to build up the resources to buy those.

Kafka is a limited character, so you won't be able to get her through standard pulls and the 300 pity. Maybe you're mistaking her for Himeko. Kafka should be rerunning in the next few months, but it could still be a while since there are other characters with potential reruns like Luocha and Blade. You'd also likely want to roll Black Swan at that point because of her DoT capabilities when paired with Kafka.

52 minutes ago, RevengeancePrime said:

Don't worry about relics for now because they're heavily RNG. Traces + character and lightcone levels should be your priority because these are stats that have no RNG, so it guarantees improvements to your characters. There are some decent lightcones in Herta's SU shop, so look into those eventually. It'll take some time to build up the resources to buy those.

Kafka is a limited character, so you won't be able to get her through standard pulls and the 300 pity. Maybe you're mistaking her for Himeko. Kafka should be rerunning in the next few months, but it could still be a while since there are other characters with potential reruns like Luocha and Blade. You'd also likely want to roll Black Swan at that point because of her DoT capabilities when paired with Kafka.

Ok, so, the stats on relics aren't set by default and 2 relics of the same rarity and type can have different stats at the same level?

I feel like I just wasted some resources to get some rank 5 relics now...

Already got 2 lightcones from Herta shop (Distruction and Preservation ones), but ya, my progress in the Simulated Universe are at a standstill, since I can't defeat any of the final bosses at lvl60+ maps..

For now will focus on getting the 4 that you suggested to lvl 70, since even at a significantly lower level Houhou + Bronya are already making a huge impact in my team (the other 2 are Seele at lvl 61 and fire Trailblazer at lvl70, I still don't feel confident to play without a tank..). I will also work on Tingyun in the side, but lower priority for now.

Ya, not sure how I saw it about Kafka, since I was thinking that she and Himeko were in the 300 pity thing..

Ok, will try to keep that in mind about Black Swan.

And I just got Lynx from the regular pool, so, that's 1 more to my list..

9 hours ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

Ok, so, the stats on relics aren't set by default and 2 relics of the same rarity and type can have different stats at the same level?

Already got 2 lightcones from Herta shop (Distruction and Preservation ones), but ya, my progress in the Simulated Universe are at a standstill, since I can't defeat any of the final bosses at lvl60+ maps..

For now will focus on getting the 4 that you suggested to lvl 70, since even at a significantly lower level Houhou + Bronya are already making a huge impact in my team (the other 2 are Seele at lvl 61 and fire Trailblazer at lvl70, I still don't feel confident to play without a tank..). I will also work on Tingyun in the side, but lower priority for now.

Ya, not sure how I saw it about Kafka, since I was thinking that she and Himeko were in the 300 pity thing..

You get something like 80% of your resources back if you reinvest the relic into enhancing a new one...

Everytime I level up equilbrium, I level up my character levels, light cones and traces in that order. Then I might do some relics for a bit. Working for me so far.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

Yeah all the relics are RNG, so even if you have say two ATK% bodies, both will have random substats. The only 2 defaults you have are the main stats on your head and hand pieces. If you look at those categories you'll see that all of the head pieces have flat HP while all the hand pieces have flat ATK. Like the op mentioned, use a resource like prydwen to save you time and get a quick overview of what stats to prioritize on your relics and traces.

For SU, the blessings you pick up are far more important than your actual characters. Make sure you're picking blessings that are effective for that particular universe. For example, if you're in the world with Kafka as the final boss, you'll want to use Abundance with the debuff clear bonus to prevent her from controlling your units (Huohuo can also deal with this).

Don't worry about Lynx for now. She's better than Natasha, but you already have Huohuo who's your best healer by far. 

• Like 1

The relic grind in general is (to me atleast) the worst part of this game. the layers of rng stacked against you is actually mindblowing and id highly advise to not worry about relics until you hit TL60(or even better 65) at TL60 you atleast get 2 gold relics per run from domains and have a chance at getting 3 at TL65(this includes saving up all your fuels up to this point). I personally just used whatever the weekly bosses gave me lvled some gloves on my main dps and helmets on supporters since those have fixed mainstats. you should get through the game fine by just focusing on traces and lightcones and proper teambuilding, the only thing youre missing out on will be the memory of chaos which cant be helped thats the endgame of honkai. (Im TL62 myself with a Jingliu/huohuo/guinafen/tingyun and a Qingque/Lynx/Asta/Gepard team [planning to replace lynx or gepard for Silverwolf] that has decent relics now and I still struggle with MoC because of the required gearcheck on my 2nd team).

You can use every single character that you like in this game but as a rule of thumb , the worse a character is the more gear grinding is required for them to keep up. Personally I focused on more 'meta' characters early since I did that mistake in genshin already where I chose characters that werent as good and the amount of grinding I had to do for gearing them was insane, which in fact led to me dropping the game.

As a word of advice for any newer and upcoming players: the next banner will feature argenti and silverwold and IF you want a breeze through the game without having to worry about covering elemental weaknesses you HAVE to pull for silverwolf(she can implant a weakness on every single enemy) which is likely the Number 1 character for F2p and newer accounts as it doesnt force you to cover elements at all anymore

Edited by TIReckoningIT

11 hours ago, Milktastrophe said:

How important is hitting 134 speed for your DPS? Is it worth trading off a significant portion of your main damage stats?

Like should I sacrifice 35% crit damage (200% -> 165%) from Jingliu to go from 121 to 134+ speed?

Personally I wouldn't sacrifice that crit damage, she crits a lot so that is a decent amount of damage. It also depends on the build of your relics but I'd be happy with Jingliu's speed at 121.

• Like 1

I'm currently using Seele, March, Lynx (works better than Bailu for me) and Clara. 

I also have available: Bailu, Bronya, Himeko, Arlan, Asta, Dan Heng, Yanqing, Guinaifen, Herta, Hook, Luka, Natasha, Pela, Sampo, Serval, Sushang, Tingyun. 

Would it make sense to pull for Argenti or Silver Wolf? Argenti seems pretty good but he's AOE and physical, Clara does the same with less dmg but more survivability. Silver Wolf... Every time I tried to use a support character like Bronya for example, I'm having trouble with skill points. 

I have around 20k stellar jades and 15 special passes saved so far, kinda wanted to use them on some OP characters when they're available. Argenti and SW doesn't seem worth it all that much, am I wrong? 

On 12/6/2023 at 8:01 PM, Salt_AU said:

Personally I wouldn't sacrifice that crit damage, she crits a lot so that is a decent amount of damage. It also depends on the build of your relics but I'd be happy with Jingliu's speed at 121.

Thanks, I'll keep what I've got for now. I just don't want to waste resources to level up some relics that don't end up being worth it.

On 12/7/2023 at 12:43 PM, the1andonly654 said:

I'm currently using Seele, March, Lynx (works better than Bailu for me) and Clara. 

I also have available: Bailu, Bronya, Himeko, Arlan, Asta, Dan Heng, Yanqing, Guinaifen, Herta, Hook, Luka, Natasha, Pela, Sampo, Serval, Sushang, Tingyun. 

Would it make sense to pull for Argenti or Silver Wolf? Argenti seems pretty good but he's AOE and physical, Clara does the same with less dmg but more survivability. Silver Wolf... Every time I tried to use a support character like Bronya for example, I'm having trouble with skill points. 

I have around 20k stellar jades and 15 special passes saved so far, kinda wanted to use them on some OP characters when they're available. Argenti and SW doesn't seem worth it all that much, am I wrong? 

Disclaimer: I'm planning to try pulling Silver Wolf, but will probably give up if I lose the 50-50.

If I had your characters, I'd probably pull Silver Wolf, especially because you have Seele. I'm probably not understanding the damage formula and doing the math wrong, but it seems like Silver Wolf can basically double a quantum dps's damage to a non-quantum weak enemy (-20% quantum res from implanting weakness, -10% all res from skill, -45% def from ultimate, -8% def from talent, ignore 10% more def from dps's relic set now that enemy is weak to quantum = 93%).

Argenti is pretty good, but I kinda feel the trial and current event are overselling him. Most of his damage will be from his ultimate. Especially the event is designed to provide infinite energy. In real situations he might only meet his full potential paired with both Tingyun and Huohuo to refill his energy. So if you're not hurting for aoe, I don't see him as necessary. Also I kinda see him as a worse Jing Yuan, so personally I'd rather wait for Jing Yuan to rerun.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 12:57 AM, Milktastrophe said:

How important is hitting 134 speed for your DPS? Is it worth trading off a significant portion of your main damage stats?

Like should I sacrifice 35% crit damage (200% -> 165%) from Jingliu to go from 121 to 134+ speed?

as a Jingliu main with a hyperspeed team built around her, hitting 134 speed is must to get her Talent's uptime quick. You also wouldn't want to sacrifice Crit Damage because she really hits hard when you have high Crit Damage. For Crit Rate, she only needs around 30+ since her talent already adds 50%. Main stats you would want to focus on are ATK, Crit Damage and Speed. Good luck rolling on those stats for her relics.

Edited by RavenScythe

5 hours ago, Milktastrophe said:

Thanks, I'll keep what I've got for now. I just don't want to waste resources to level up some relics that don't end up being worth it.

Disclaimer: I'm planning to try pulling Silver Wolf, but will probably give up if I lose the 50-50.

If I had your characters, I'd probably pull Silver Wolf, especially because you have Seele. I'm probably not understanding the damage formula and doing the math wrong, but it seems like Silver Wolf can basically double a quantum dps's damage to a non-quantum weak enemy (-20% quantum res from implanting weakness, -10% all res from skill, -45% def from ultimate, -8% def from talent, ignore 10% more def from dps's relic set now that enemy is weak to quantum = 93%).

Argenti is pretty good, but I kinda feel the trial and current event are overselling him. Most of his damage will be from his ultimate. Especially the event is designed to provide infinite energy. In real situations he might only meet his full potential paired with both Tingyun and Huohuo to refill his energy. So if you're not hurting for aoe, I don't see him as necessary. Also I kinda see him as a worse Jing Yuan, so personally I'd rather wait for Jing Yuan to rerun.

I ended up pulling for Argenti with the mindset that if I don't get him quickly, I'll stop and wait for a banner that has a better character, since supposedly the pulls towards the pity system carry over between banners of the same type. Unless I misunderstood how it works. Anyway, I got lucky and pulled him pretty quickly (about 30 attempts), still have enough stellar jades to get a 50/50 on the Silver Wolf banner.

And now I'm tempted to try for her haha, with you and many others on reddit recommending her as a support for Seele. Seems like a major boost to single target dps if I can get around high skill point usage. Thanks for the advice. 

On 12/7/2023 at 9:43 PM, the1andonly654 said:

Honestly clara doesnt fit your teamcomp. Seele wants a hypercarry team, and you have 2 survivability characters ( you only ever want 2 survivability characters in swarm disaster) - plus march has anti-synergy with clara because when you freeze enemies they arent able to hit her. You would be better off making 2 seperate teams out of that so Seele - Bronya - Pela - Lynx/Bailu (tingyun instead of bronya is also an option both bronya and tingyun are broken beyond belief) . Replace pela with silverwolf if you decide to pull for her( would be a good addition to that team). As for a clara comp go with Clara - Tingyun/Asta - Pela/Guinaifen - Lynx (lynx is better than bailu in a clara comp because her skill makes it more likely for clara to get hit)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TIReckoningIT said:

Honestly clara doesnt fit your teamcomp. Seele wants a hypercarry team, and you have 2 survivability characters ( you only ever want 2 survivability characters in swarm disaster) - plus march has anti-synergy with clara because when you freeze enemies they arent able to hit her. You would be better off making 2 seperate teams out of that so Seele - Bronya - Pela - Lynx/Bailu (tingyun instead of bronya is also an option both bronya and tingyun are broken beyond belief) . Replace pela with silverwolf if you decide to pull for her( would be a good addition to that team). As for a clara comp go with Clara - Tingyun/Asta - Pela/Guinaifen - Lynx (lynx is better than bailu in a clara comp because her skill makes it more likely for clara to get hit)

I'm using March mostly as a shielder for Clara to make her get hit more often. But you're right, she's been kind of a waste of space for some time now, didn't even level her up to 80. 

I've pulled for SW and I'm currently working on levelling up her traces and getting relics, gonna switch March for her then maybe actually switch Clara for Bronya. Hopefully skill points won't be that big of an issue, March being useless after shielding Clara helped with that with her basic atk. 

Never played a gacha before so need some team advice, I'm F2P and only done a few pulls. 

Main team ~ Dan Heng, Nat, Fire TB (E2) & March (basically because she's my favourite) 

I've also got Asta (E1), Serval, Yanqinq, Tingyun and Herta (E3) 

Just looking to do the Simulated Universe world's (currently at 4 but always lose to the last boss) looking to get teams for Swarm Disaster. 

The team comp up until this point has done me well, I've got most of my main team traces to about level 6 and haven't grinded for any relics yet. The team is starting to slow though I'm TB 44 and EQ 3. Any sort of advice is appreciated, I've only now started looking at the weeklies because I'm an idiot. 

On 12/14/2023 at 8:38 PM, MushuMixLipa said:

Never played a gacha before so need some team advice, I'm F2P and only done a few pulls. 

Main team ~ Dan Heng, Nat, Fire TB (E2) & March (basically because she's my favourite) 

I've also got Asta (E1), Serval, Yanqinq, Tingyun and Herta (E3) 

Just looking to do the Simulated Universe world's (currently at 4 but always lose to the last boss) looking to get teams for Swarm Disaster. 

The team comp up until this point has done me well, I've got most of my main team traces to about level 6 and haven't grinded for any relics yet. The team is starting to slow though I'm TB 44 and EQ 3. Any sort of advice is appreciated, I've only now started looking at the weeklies because I'm an idiot. 

Dunno how you are doing now but this is quite hard atm without a very strong DPS. Well there's Yanqing but tbh, he will need a lot of investment to get him up and going. You also said you haven't grinded relics yet so better grind for relics right now to improve your stats and team composition.

It's not impossible with your current characters, it is doable tbh since I've seen a pure F2P account clearing the high difficulties with just the free 4 star characters but it will need a good set of relics to even do so.

Edited by RavenScythe

6 hours ago, RavenScythe said:

Dunno how you are doing now but this is quite hard atm without a very strong DPS. Well there's Yanqing but tbh, he will need a lot of investment to get him up and going. You also said you haven't grinded relics yet so better grind for relics right now to improve your stats and team composition.

It's not impossible with your current characters, it is doable tbh since I've seen a pure F2P account clearing the high difficulties with just the free 4 star characters but it will need a good set of relics to even do so.

It's not going too bad now, I've unlocked Swarm Disaster but haven't really tried it yet out of fear. 

Managed to keep the main team but I've also made a secondary team with Fire MC, Nat, Asta and QQ too see how that fairs out. 

Currently TB 49 so one away from EQ 4, only now am I actually getting into the swing of the gameplay loop (85 hours later..) Eventually will probably do some pulls using the warps and some jade's but at the moment not really interested in Argenti or Silverwolf. I've also seen a few F2P videos but they really honed down everything and barely scrape by. The nature of gachas has hit me, luckily it's a great game. 

On 12/21/2023 at 12:11 AM, MushuMixLipa said:

It's not going too bad now, I've unlocked Swarm Disaster but haven't really tried it yet out of fear. 

Managed to keep the main team but I've also made a secondary team with Fire MC, Nat, Asta and QQ too see how that fairs out. 

Currently TB 49 so one away from EQ 4, only now am I actually getting into the swing of the gameplay loop (85 hours later..) Eventually will probably do some pulls using the warps and some jade's but at the moment not really interested in Argenti or Silverwolf. I've also seen a few F2P videos but they really honed down everything and barely scrape by. The nature of gachas has hit me, luckily it's a great game. 

Swarm Disaster is going to be hard without good relic setups. If you are still going to keep your main team for some hard end game contents, here are some of my recommendations for builds since I also used some of them before getting better characters:

March

• 4 pc Knight of Purity Palace, 2 pc Broken Keel
  • For relic stats, Effect Hit Rate Body, Speed Boots, Energy Regen Rope, focus on getting her Effect Hit Rate on higher levels, this way her Ultimate will always freeze enemies and you can combine that with the Remembrance/Nihility Path
  • Substats, try getting Defense, HP and Effect RES

Natasha

• 2 pc Passerby of Wandering Cloud, 2 pc Longevous Disciple, 2 pc Fleet of the Ageless
  • Outgoing Healing Body Relic, Speed Boots, Energy Regen Rope, healing scales on HP so get her HP very high
  • Substats, you will need defense so that she can also tank damage

Fire MC

• 2 pc Knight of Purity Palace, 2 pc Guard of Wuthering Snow, 2 pc Belobog of the Architects
  • I just stacked Defense, Effect Hit Rate and HP for Fire MC

Can't say much about Dan Heng, I haven't used him since the tutorial and after some events in Xianzhou.

Edited by RavenScythe
  • Like 1