For those who played this fairly recently: did they fix the framerate in performance mode?

Vault-TecPhantom

As the title says.

It's Black Friday and I'm wanting to pick up either Jedi Survivor or FF16 but I heard performance mode was rocky at launch. Jedi Survivor was infamously busted but is fixed now according to reports. I would rather play FF16 but I haven't heard of any improvements to performance since, and there is absolutely no way I'm playing in quality mode...

I played it in August, it was bad. I decided to wait for PS5 Pro to finish it. It will probably come out in 2024 anyway. I don't think there will be more performance-related patches. They probably concentrate on DLCs and the PC version. I was not fond of the game much content-wise, so at least being able to run is smoothly was a deal-breaker for me.

Edited by BloodyRutz
  • Like 1

Performance mode is great when in combat, as you almost always have 60 fps, but framerate drops whenever you're not fighting (45-50 fps) and it's easily noticeable.

Quality mode on the other hand has stable framerate, but locked to 30 fps.

I personally prefer having 60 fps during combat, although the image can get a bit blurry at times, because resolution drops to maintain stable framerate. 

• Like 1

In my 200 + hours of playing i only had few parts where the FPS visually droppedIn gameplay it was completely smooth especially surprising at the last Boss where crazy Effects happen every few seconds.

Inconsistencies only happened outside of combat. Noticeable from time to time but it's barely anything to write home about. It never tempered with my overall enjoyment so don't worry too much. Buy and enjoy 🙂 Or don't i guess idk

Edited by Pendaemonium
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/5/2023 at 10:53 PM, thefourfoldroot said:

Tried it in performance mode too but felt no difference so switched it back. 

Thanks. This comment confirms the performance is trash lol

If you're unable to tell the difference between 30 and 60 it's because this game likely isn't maintaining 60 when in performance mode.

In all seriousness, it seems that it's a solid 60 during combat but the devs took shortcuts when outside of combat. I'm still waiting for more patches.

9 hours ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

If you're unable to tell the difference between 30 and 60 it's because this game likely isn't maintaining 60 when in performance mode.

In all seriousness, it seems that it's a solid 60 during combat but the devs took shortcuts when outside of combat. I'm still waiting for more patches.

It's actually less about taking shortcuts outside of combat, but rather during - it's true, the game is 60 fps while fighting but only because the resolution actually goes down to 720p then. DigitalFoundry made an interesting video about it and it hasn't been patched since. I know many people are good at ignoring these things and I myself am not someone who always needs great framerate but I'm genuinely baffled barely anyone acknowledges it, the game feels so incredibly choppy when walking through towns or across the general open world. (don't even know why, the game is pretty but separated into small areas by loading screens, none of which have much going on that should affect performance this much)

At this point I doubt it will ever be adressed by the devs, sadly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SakisasVM said:

It's actually less about taking shortcuts outside of combat, but rather during - it's true, the game is 60 fps while fighting but only because the resolution actually goes down to 720p then. DigitalFoundry made an interesting video about it and it hasn't been patched since. I know many people are good at ignoring these things and I myself am not someone who always needs great framerate but I'm genuinely baffled barely anyone acknowledges it, the game feels so incredibly choppy when walking through towns or across the general open world. (don't even know why, the game is pretty but separated into small areas by loading screens, none of which have much going on that should affect performance this much)

At this point I doubt it will ever be adressed by the devs, sadly.

Interesting. TBH while 720p isn't ideal,  I'd take that with the higher framerate over high resolution and low framerate any day. Immortals of Aveum is 720p and that was passable, visually.

Personally, framerate is just as important outside of combat as it is in it. My eyes no longer "see" 60fps because to me it's the default and anything below that just feels like there's something wrong with the game. This is exacerbated by the fact that I have a series X where most of the backwards compatible games I play on there now have performance boost. The only game I played last year that I didn't mind in 30 was The Quarry but that's because The Quarry is extremely photo realistic. Gotham Knights, on the other hand, would have felt infinitely better in 60.

My fingers are still crossed. I know framerate patches often take half a year to a year, but I'm not buying this game until the absolute last update is out. I won't let performance ruin a potentially really enjoyable experience if it can be helped.

On 1/13/2024 at 1:15 AM, Vault-TecPhantom said:

To be honest I’ve played enough games over the decades that I can adapt pretty easily between 30fps and 60fps. Just requires slightly different timing. The main reason I always use 60fps mode when available is that I can’t stand the blur that is more prevalent in 30fps games when moving the camera. I’m really sensitive to it. In this game it doesn’t improve though, it’s always blurry.

• Like 1

Performance mode runs really bad, to the point I'm having trouble finding the will to play it lol

Jedi Survivor on the other hand runs pretty good and with stable 60fps, I had no problems or bugs. My choice between the two would be Jedi Survivor.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/16/2024 at 4:45 PM, dany4k_93 said:

Performance mode runs really bad, to the point I'm having trouble finding the will to play it lol

Jedi Survivor on the other hand runs pretty good and with stable 60fps, I had no problems or bugs. My choice between the two would be Jedi Survivor.

I did go with Jedi Survivor in the end and, likewise, the performance there was solid. I also encountered no bugs.

More DLC is coming this year for Final Fantasy 16. I am hoping this is where the devs will take the time to improve performance, but it's looking less and less likely with each passing month...

13 hours ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

I did go with Jedi Survivor in the end and, likewise, the performance there was solid. I also encountered no bugs.

More DLC is coming this year for Final Fantasy 16. I am hoping this is where the devs will take the time to improve performance, but it's looking less and less likely with each passing month...

I read an interview where the game's producer shed some light regarding the game's poor performance.

He basically said it's difficult to bring a stable 60fps framerate to the PS5 version and that they're currently focusing on optimizing the PC version. However, he also said that because the PC version needs a lot more optimization, they would need to update the game's code to bring a more stable framerate there. Although he explicitly said he couldn't promise anything, he assured that if that case was given, there is "definitely the possibility down the line" that the PS5 version would receive the updated code, making the framerate better for the console as well. Basically speaking, if anyone wants to play this game with a decent performance mode, you're better off waiting for the PC version release in any case.

Link to the full article here: https://www.mmorpg.com/interviews/final-fantasy-xvi-the-rising-tide-interview-naoki-yoshida-and-takeo-kujiraoka-talk-leviathan-a-pc-demo-and-a-secret-endgame-2000130899

So it looks like the framerate isn't getting fixed with The Rising Tide DLC either, but there's hope that the PC version ends up helping to optimize the PS5 version as well. They may also be unable to talk about that yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were one of the few developers who already had the rumored PS5 Pro dev kit given by Sony. So, if the PC version aligns with the release of PS5 Pro, this is definitely one of the very few games that would benefit from receiving a "PS5 Pro Enhanced" tag.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2024 at 11:18 AM, SakisasVM said:

It's actually less about taking shortcuts outside of combat, but rather during - it's true, the game is 60 fps while fighting but only because the resolution actually goes down to 720p then. DigitalFoundry made an interesting video about it and it hasn't been patched since. I know many people are good at ignoring these things and I myself am not someone who always needs great framerate but I'm genuinely baffled barely anyone acknowledges it …

Some people acknowledge it and generally I see them get refuted at best, insulted at worst (not necessarily here fwiw). It doesn’t take too much away from the game for me, but it’s there.  And it should be improved.  People laid into FF7 Rebirth for its res, and I’d gladly take the hit in FF16 to get a 60 fps lock everywhere out of combat.

23 hours ago, Virtua_Vince said:

Some people acknowledge it and generally I see them get refuted at best, insulted at worst (not necessarily here fwiw). It doesn’t take too much away from the game for me, but it’s there.  And it should be improved.  People laid into FF7 Rebirth for its res, and I’d gladly take the hit in FF16 to get a 60 fps lock everywhere out of combat.

If you dare to mention the performance issues on the subreddit you'll get downvoted to hell. I wish people complained more about the game's performance mode because there's huge room for improvement. I wonder what they're going to do with the PC version because I don't see performance mode running 60 solid fps until they optimize the game a little better unless you own a ridiculously expensive PC.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2024 at 12:43 PM, residentgamer5 said:

[..]
I wonder what they're going to do with the PC version because I don't see performance mode running 60 solid fps until they optimize the game a little better unless you own a ridiculously expensive PC.

Reading this on mmorpg.com , it is possible that the PS5 version may benefit from improved coding necessary for the PC version:

Naoki Yoshida:

Yes, the patch will be released at the same time as The Rising Tide. And then, regarding performance mode, while we have worked on it, I think the current problem is that when you're in a giant field with tons of objects, that's what's bringing that framerate down. While we have worked on it, and we've gotten things a little bit better, there's still no way that we're going to, and can't promise 60 frames per second in those types of situations.

That's difficult, because currently, some players don't mind how it is even now. While some people are just like yeah, this is really a problem. And then when we add this update, and some of it gets a little bit better some people will be like, "Okay, now it's at a place that we like," but there's still gonna be those that are like no, this still isn't enough. And so it's kind of one of those things where you can't please everyone.

As you know, currently, we're creating the PC version, and we're doing optimizing for that. We're updating code that's going to be making things better. Currently, we're kind of thinking that this is going to be the final patch for the PS5, if we're able, through developing the PC version, to find better ways of bringing that framerate up, then there is definitely the possibility down the line for having a PS5 version that has that updated code that improves things even further.

But still, according to pcgamesn.com, PC enthusiasts should keep in mind that Nixxes Software (Company behind most of the “good PlayStation to PC ports”) is playing no part in the development as Final Fantasy 16 isn’t a PlayStation Studios title. 

We will just have to wait.