GameStop Policy Change - Bye Bye Pro Membership

Unlucky_Thir13en

1 minute ago, majob said:

Loooooooong Loooong time ago EB Games were in the US as well until Gamestop acquired them and turned the remaining stores in the US into Gamestops. That said, I only shop there during the buy 2 get one free for Switch games and that's about it. They exist in a dying market and they know it which is why they're trying to transition to a merch store.

Yea I remember in the mid '00's when EB Games were basically in every mall in the US before Gamestop too over all their locations. Those midnight releases when the whole mall would be shut down, but they'd let everyone in hours early to wait in line were awesome. Good times, now I'm honestly just shocked that GS is still in business after all these years a fuckery. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, majob said:

They exist in a dying market and they know it which is why they're trying to transition to a merch store.

That's true.

Down Under, the majority of EB Games retailers have become half gaming, half loot outlets alongside the sister brand "ZiNG Pop Culture".

• 4 weeks later...

I stopped buying from them entirely since they keep sending me used copies when I buy new online. I never had this issue with EB Games in Canada. It's why I stopped going to the stores all together because I didn't want to have to ask if they had unopened, actual new, copies of games instead of their bullshit "new" copies that are opened and often taken home by employees to play.

Sometimes they'd give a refund of the whole game, cool free game fine, or a partial one of the difference between new and used prices at least I didn't end up stuck with what I didn't pay for even if it's not what I wanted, but last time it happened with 3 of 5 games and they wanted me to go through the hassle of returning them all for a refund. No thanks.

I'll just stop buying anything at all. I still need to buy a couple PS4 cases to replace those absolute dogshit black ones they use for games with no cases from "new" purchases that were not new at all. Why they can't just get real PS4 cases themselves is beyond me. Then figure out what kind of paper wouldn't look like shit to print the covers off myself. The cases along probably end up costing me more than just having bought the games somewhere else for more at the time. Oh well.

And I need to take some goo gone to a couple of them since the stickers left residue on one so bad it sticks to everything else so I can't put it away. 😑Just annoying, but at least I don't have to buy a Switch case too.

It's too bad really.  I think there's still a place in this world for a retail chain that specializes in video games, but no company can thrive with how poorly it's been run.  I like the Gameinformer magazine and I think I'm required to do the Pro Membership for that, but otherwise I don't really use Gamestop anymore.

Edited by Dreakon13