Sony Reverses Plans for "Stupid Upgrade"

amebapiko

Earlier this week, Sony announced that the upcoming PS4 racing game DriveClub would have a very terrible upgrade plan: PlayStation Plus members would be able to get a demo of the game for free, then upgrade for $50—$10 cheaper than retail—but the whole game would disappear as soon as their PS Plus membership expired.

Unsurprisingly, fans reacted poorly—why would anyone want to pay $50 for a game that only lasts as long as you keep paying a membership fee?—and took to Twitter and message boards to share their distaste for Sony's decision.

Good news. Today, Sony's reversed course:

UPDATE: Our priority for DRIVECLUB is to enable you to play and enjoy everything it has to offer and PlayStation recognises that the prior plan for DRIVECLUB entitlement for the upgrade to the PS Plus edition was not appropriate. As a result, we have adjusted the PlayStation Plus terms for DRIVECLUB.

Now, If you intend on downloading DRIVECLUB PlayStation Plus Edition, and upgrading to the full game experience, you will have access to the full game even if your PlayStation Plus subscription runs out.

Good work, Internet. Here's yet more proof that voicing feedback online and sending your thoughts to big corporations really does work—so don't ever stop.

http://kotaku.com/sony-reverses-plans-for-stupid-ps4-upgrade-1573934784?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Well that's good and how it should be. But anyway, I think this game is going to be highly focused on multiplayer.

If I chose to get it I think I'd buy a physical copy though.

Edited by KillCount2121

Good News indeed, that what they should have done in the first place it just goes the current PS+ terms...if i purchased something discounted with PS+ it is mine even if the membership expires...what were they thinking? glad they came to their senses. 

I thought Drive Club was going to be a PS+ release as soon as it came out, back when it was going to be a PS4 launch title? In fact, I remember it was going to be the only PS+ release for the PS4 that was going to be worth a damn for several months.

http://kotaku.com/sony-reverses-plans-for-stupid-ps4-upgrade-1573934784?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Well that's good and how it should be. But anyway, I think this game is going to be highly focused on multiplayer.

If I chose to get it I think I'd buy a physical copy though.

^^This!! I would rather have the full experience than a demo.

Are Kotaku writers really that stupid or are they just trying to troll? The Driveclub PS+ edition is far from a demo. It obviously isn't the full game but it has much more content than what a demo offers. 

Anyways, that is good news. It is the way it should have been in the first place. Of course if I enjoy what I play from the PS+ version I plan on buying a physical copy so it really doesn't effect me. 

Parker

Are Kotaku writers really that stupid or are they just trying to troll? The Driveclub PS+ edition is far from a demo. It obviously isn't the full game but it has much more content than what a demo offers. 

Anyways, that is good news. It is the way it should have been in the first place. Of course if I enjoy what I play from the PS+ version I plan on buying a physical copy so it really doesn't effect me. 

Parker

Is it kind of like Gran Turismo Prologue?

Is it kind of like Gran Turismo Prologue?

Kind of, but not really. If I'm not mistaken the PS+ edition of Driveclub has all the game modes but it is limited with the car and track selection. Gran Turismo Prologue was more of a way for Polyphony Digital to show off what they can do with the new hardware of the PS3. In the end GT: Prologue was nothing like GT5 whereas the PS+ Edition of Driveclub is a limited version of a bigger game. 

Parker