Best Action RPG

FiorgVan

Anything out now?

Bound by flame is actually pretty fun and its a $50 game so its a bit cheaper than the other options currently. It isnt the best of games because its more of a budget title but it has been fun from the several hours i put into it. If you really want a game in that genre, maybe watch some videos and judge for yourself. its gotten mediocre reviews overall but the only person that can really judge it is you.

Do mmo's count as rpgs? I'm confused because looking at that list. There's tons of mmo's listed as rpgs, mmo's do have elements of role playing ect but I thought mmo's were just that an mmo, sorry if I'm ignorant but I'm still trying to figure that out.

It depends on your definition of an RPG. To me Mass Effect is a 3rd person shooter but some people like to classify it as an RPG for some reason. Why? Because you can name your character and increase his/her stats...then WWE games should be considered RPGs.

To me an Action RPG is something like Ys, Secret of Mana or Crystalis. Games like Skyrim are open-world adventures or Sandbox games and Mass Effect is a 3rd person corridor shooter.

Not much yet, though Deep Down looks interesting (not sure of a release date tho)

It depends on your definition of an RPG. To me Mass Effect is a 3rd person shooter but some people like to classify it as an RPG for some reason. Why? Because you can name your character and increase his/her stats...then WWE games should be considered RPGs.

To me an Action RPG is something like Ys, Secret of Mana or Crystalis. Games like Skyrim are open-world adventures or Sandbox games and Mass Effect is a 3rd person corridor shooter.

And, Doc, you know I love ya, but Mass Effect IS an RPG. Not because you name your character, but because the main game mechanic is the branching storyline and customisation of the characters. Bioware themselves class it as an action RPG., you can't take the RPG name away just cause it aint got swords and goblins and no one says 'betwixt'. ;)

Not much yet, though Deep Down looks interesting (not sure of a release date tho)

And, Doc, you know I love ya, but Mass Effect IS an RPG. Not because you name your character, but because the main game mechanic is the branching storyline and customisation of the characters. Bioware themselves class it as an action RPG., you can't take the RPG name away just cause it aint got swords and goblins and no one says 'betwixt'. ;)

^_^ And I call myself a doctor but that doesn't mean I am allowed to perform open-heart surgery.

I just don't buy into Mass Effect being an RPG. Like I said WWE games let you customize your characters and depending on your choices made you progress through different paths and endings. What about games like Heavy Rain where all your decisions completely alter the game and ending you get.

Nowadays every game can be classified into 3 or 4 different genres so it is really hard to nail something down (unless it is something basic like a Mario game). I just think the RPG label is thrown around too loosely as some games seem to be OK (like mass effect or Fallout) but other games don't seem to count (like Silent Hill or Bioshock).

^_^ And I call myself a doctor but that doesn't mean I am allowed to perform open-heart surgery.

I just don't buy into Mass Effect being an RPG. Like I said WWE games let you customize your characters and depending on your choices made you progress through different paths and endings. What about games like Heavy Rain where all your decisions completely alter the game and ending you get.

Nowadays every game can be classified into 3 or 4 different genres so it is really hard to nail something down (unless it is something basic like a Mario game). I just think the RPG label is thrown around too loosely as some games seem to be OK (like mass effect or Fallout) but other games don't seem to count (like Silent Hill or Bioshock).

I gyess thats kinda true - I remember a discussion on GB a while back where there was a consensus that 'RPG' as a genre would be dead pretty soon, but 'RPG' elements within other games would be virtually universal within a few years, which kind of speaks to your point. Though replaying Persona and FFX on vita reminds me how sad ill be if traditional RPGs went away entirely.

• Like 1

I gyess thats kinda true - I remember a discussion on GB a while back where there was a consensus that 'RPG' as a genre would be dead pretty soon, but 'RPG' elements within other games would be virtually universal within a few years, which kind of speaks to your point. Though replaying Persona and FFX on vita reminds me how sad ill be if traditional RPGs went away entirely.

Hopefully companies keep bringing over Japanese games so that the genre can stay around :)

Anyways to the OP-Far Cry 4 is coming out (I believe this year) and that is similar to Skyrim (open-world, quests, stat-increases etc.) so you can always wait for that :).

• Like 1