NAT Help/ Internet Questions

Parker

Let me start by saying I know nothing about computers, modems, routers or anything like that. All I know is how to set them up and get internet. That's why I'm asking you guys (who I can only assume know more about technology than I) for help.

I recently bought a new router and I have quite a few Wi-Fi enabled devices in my home. Is there any way to give the PS3 priority to the network, so I don't lag out of games? I'm assuming it will also help my download speed for patches, demos and whatnot.

Also, my NAT type is strict so I sometimes have a hard time joining party's with people, and occasionally it takes a while for me to be able to join an online games. Can someone give me step by step instructions on how to have an open NAT type?

Thanks for any help,

Parker

Let me start by saying I know nothing about computers, modems, routers or anything like that. All I know is how to set them up and get internet. That's why I'm asking you guys (who I can only assume know more about technology than I) for help.

I recently bought a new router and I have quite a few Wi-Fi enabled devices in my home. Is there any way to give the PS3 priority to the network, so I don't lag out of games? I'm assuming it will also help my download speed for patches, demos and whatnot.

Also, my NAT type is strict so I sometimes have a hard time joining party's with people, and occasionally it takes a while for me to be able to join an online games. Can someone give me step by step instructions on how to have an open NAT type?

Thanks for any help,

Parker

Here's another suggestion...call Sony up (1-800-345-SONY) and speak to one of their reps. if they aren't any help, look through the instruction book for the router. There should be a customer service 1-800 number, or possibly a website, where you can speak to a router expert to help walk you through correcting the problem. If neither one of those have an answer, try calling Leo Laporte either tomorrow or Sun 2-5pm est...1-888-827-5536 http://techguylabs.com/

Sometimes it's not knowing the answer...but knowing how to find the people who have the answers that solve the problem ;)

For starters, you need to do one of three things to help with the NAT Type...

1. Place your PS3 in the DMZ (basically opens all ports on a chosen IP address, which you would assign to the PS3)

2. Open ports (not sure of the technical explanation, but basically thingies use ports and they need to be open)

3. Enable UPNP (opens ports as needed)

Step by step instructions would require you to tell us the brand and model of your router (Linksys E1200, for example). At the very least people could guide you in the right direction with that info. Doing one of the steps above and/or getting your NAT Type to Open would probably help your speeds/connection overall too, I imagine.

I don't know if this helps, but all I had to do is hook up my router and once my PS3 connected to the signal, I have not had to mess with or touch anything. Also, I have been on both NAT types and to me, I don't notice a difference. I doubt it will, but I hope this helps, otherwise call Sony or your Internet provider, or even the company that makes the router.

I don't know if this helps, but all I had to do is hook up my router and once my PS3 connected to the signal, I have not had to mess with or touch anything. Also, I have been on both NAT types and to me, I don't notice a difference. I doubt it will, but I hope this helps, otherwise call Sony or your Internet provider, or even the company that makes the router.

Usually the strict NAT type is fine, but for some reason or another I can't join certain friends parties. I don't know of it is because we both have strict NAT types or what, but it gets rather annoying when I want to party with one friend and it won't work, but I can join another one just fine.

I'll look up the DMZ thing in a bit and try my luck at that,

Here is a link to the router I bought.

http://www.target.com/p/Belkin-N600-Dual-Band-Wireless-Router/-/A-13523010

Also, I have DSL internet which I believe is 3mbps. I would have cable but where there are no cable lines where I live (which means I'm stuck with satellite TV) and what I have now is the fastest internet available for me.

Parker

My Nat settings is type 2 but not sure it the correct type to play multiplayer games or should I avoid multiplayer games.Not sure Sony will support my internet provider.This is also a problem with xbox live when playing my xbox 360 games but not sure there's should be a fourm regarding FAQ for Nat settings or setting up to play multiplayer games for both consoles on this site.

^ You have the correct NAT type, what you should avoid is NAT type 3 (like mine, unfortunately, and any DMZ or port forwarding doesn't help my issue).

PS: Shouldn't this topic be more appropriate in the network section? Not tryin' to be a mod but just my two cents....

Step 1: PS3 Static IP

Step 2: Port your Router (I am assuming this is your router

F7D8302v1)

Step 3: Profit!

Hopefully that will help you out.

And some Info:

NAT Type 1 =

Connected directly to the internet (no router/firewall). Should have no issues.

NAT Type 2 =

Connected through a router properly. Should have no issues. (NORMAL)

NAT Type 3 =

Connected through a router without open ports or DMZ setup for PS3. Everything should function properly, but you may have connection, voice chat or other issues.

PS. I have no fing clue why my spacing is so messed up in the post...