Something you might not know about the psn

d3m0nd00d

With inFamous, and BO:P I did Not need twice the amount of room.

I always only have 11GB free.

So I'm going to guess it was just Black Ops that was the problem.

Absolutely nothing to due with the PSN.

The only time you need double the space is while the game installs.

Unless you can check your free HD space while installing (which you can't), you'd never know how much free space you really have while a game is installing.

How much RAM does a PS3 have?

Cause that's why you would need double the space. The system can't hold 18 GB of data in 4 GB? of RAM. So it needs to save the file to disk until its installed.

Don't DL retail games from PSN. Problem solved.

With inFamous, and BO:P I did Not need twice the amount of room.

I always only have 11GB free.

So I'm going to guess it was just Black Ops that was the problem.

Absolutely nothing to due with the PSN.

You are right it does have nothing to do with the psn. I put that in the title because my issue is with how the ps3 handles downloadable games.

How much RAM does a PS3 have?

Cause that's why you would need double the space. The system can't hold 18 GB of data in 4 GB? of RAM. So it needs to save the file to disk until its installed.

Don't DL retail games from PSN. Problem solved.

That's not actually right, the ps3 could use the 4GB for installing the game. That would only require me to have 14-15GB free for a 10GB game not 20GB. I don't have a problem with downloads just thought it was odd how it was handled. :)

That's not actually right, the ps3 could use the 4GB for installing the game. That would only require me to have 14-15GB free for a 10GB game not 20GB.

The file cannot be split into parts. The whole file has to be saved to the HDD before install. That's why there's an Install Icon present in the XMB upon completion of the download. It did not save part of the file to RAM, until installation. The rest of the PS3 wouldn't work either cause, all the RAM would be in use. This is all basic hardware engineering.

And on another angle - The install file is not deleted until it's fully installed. Therefor you must have 10 GB free for the install file. Plus at least 10 GB for the Game Data being installed. 10+10=20.

The file cannot be split into parts. The whole file has to be saved to the HDD before install. That's why there's an Install Icon present in the XMB upon completion of the download. It did not save part of the file to RAM, until installation. The rest of the PS3 wouldn't work either cause, all the RAM would be in use. This is all basic hardware engineering.

And on another angle - The install file is not deleted until it's fully installed. Therefor you must have 10 GB free for the install file. Plus at least 10 GB for the Game Data being installed. 10+10=20.

I was on the other angle one. I'm pretty good with simple math thanks. :)

Remember boys and girls, we are working with the limitations of 7 year old technology here. In 2005, this all was cutting edge hardware...compared to today's computer chipsets...not so much.

Still works pretty good though.

Still works pretty good though.

Oh, I'm not complainin'. I really like my PS3. However, most people forget that the system specs get locked in about 1-2 years before the system's launch date, then have to be kept more or less static throughout the lifespan of the system. Just because you bought it new a year ago, the technology is 7 years old. Most PC's running right now aren't using the specs from 2005...and if they are, they sure are pokey lil systems. They work fine, but there just isn't any comparison to a late model machine.

Just remember, the PS3 has more computing power than all of what was used in NASA to put a man on the moon...and they had gigantic rooms jammed full of hardware.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is because there are multiple files here,

The downloaded package, and when you go to install it, it will extract from the downloaded package requiring double the space to finish the operation as there are 2 files now, downloaded package and the files that are being extracted. After being extracted the download is deleted as all the files were installed.

Think of it like this (d + e) - d =

once you have download it extracts and then there is the extracted files and the download which means it require 2x the space at one point and then it automatically deletes the download after extraction is complete.

At one time there will always be 2 (d is downloade e is extracted files)

This is because there are multiple files here,

The downloaded package, and when you go to install it, it will extract from the downloaded package requiring double the space to finish the operation as there are 2 files now, downloaded package and the files that are being extracted. After being extracted the download is deleted as all the files were installed.

Think of it like this (d + e) - d =

once you have download it extracts and then there is the extracted files and the download which means it require 2x the space at one point and then it automatically deletes the download after extraction is complete.

At one time there will always be 2 (d is downloade e is extracted files)

interesting way to place it.

The infamous demo took up a whooping 5GB. Downloading it and realizing it need ed far more than that killed me inside.