Something you might not know about the psn

d3m0nd00d

I purchased Black Ops about a month ago when it was on sale on the psn. Now the download size of the game is 18GB, so I cleared 18-20GB off of my 80GB fat ps3. It took me a day and a half to download (downloads pause when your playing) and I proceeded to install it. WRONG!!! It said I need more room on my HDD. I cleared away at least 2 extra GB on my HDD, why in the hell didn't it work. :(

I come to find out that I needed another 18GB to install the game. :P It took half my HDD to install this game. So just some info out there for everyone with small or full HDD you will need double the amount to download and install any of your psn games. This obviously doesn't pertain to any disc games since the game is installed from your disc and not your HDD. Hope this will maybe help someone out there before they download a big game. :)

Digital downloads may be the future...but thank gawd it ain't the present.

I'd rather have a cartridge or a disc in my hands. A physical collection is much more impressive than a file on some computer. You should know where I'm coming from with this since you're a collector too.

• Like 3

I'd rather have a cartridge or a disc in my hands. A physical collection is much more impressive than a file on some computer. You should know where I'm coming from with this since you're a collector too.

I'm in complete agreement. It's because of people like me that digital downloading WON'T become the norm for quite a while. If I can't hold it...I don't want it.

I have about 120 disc games and with us just getting an xbox I'm afraid my physical space is limited. :( I do enjoy buying the digital games on the xbox because it is so damn easy to do. I'm really a cheap ass and when I see a game for $20 or less I have to buy it.

IMO, not only is Disk Space not ready for an All Digital future, connection speeds aren't either. When the majority of users are running on Fiber we can talk. That said, I also enjoy having a collection. While I rotate games out that I don't feel like keeping and trade them in, I run between 40-50 games constantly.

• Like 1

Yes, this is the case when installing a game. Somehow, it sounds a bit stupid, but the HDD actually needs double the space because there will be a point wherein the HDD needs to hold the downloaded game and the installed file at the same time. Of course, after the installation, it goes back to normal.

I agree with most here, I will ALWAYS take the physical dick over a DD any day. Other than inFamous that was offered as the Welcome Back package, I have NEVER downloaded a full retail game, and do not ever plan to. I can not put a DD next to my other games in my collection, and if anything should ever happen to my console, at least I will not lose the game as well.

Besides, I can wait 2-6+ hours to download a game, or put in the disk and install it in 5 minutes or less.

I agree with most here, I will ALWAYS take the physical dick over a DD any day.

No comment. ;)

and if anything should ever happen to my console, at least I will not lose the game as well.

Things you purchase on PSN can be downloaded again for free so the loss is only temporary. In one way that's the safer route because you can't lose the game due to physical damage.

Personally I prefer the physical copy but I've bought a few retail titles on PSN usually because the PS+ deal was better than the disk version.

i dont really care about digital downloads too much. i would rather have the original game on disc. for some reason, whenever i download a game from psn im not too interrested in playing it, and i only play it for 2 hours and let it go. the only digital game i downloaded that is on disc is burnout paradise, since it was on sale for 7$ and it cost 20$ at the store. so i bought a psn card and made some profit.

see this is why the Xbox is a little better here because when you download something you don't have to wait while it installs it's already done you just have to download it and play

The xbox doesn't pause the download when your playing either and for some reason the downloads seem to go quicker. From my OP I was just surprised that the ps needed double the amount of space for the download/install. I could see some space put aside for the install, but double the space seemed a little silly.

I agree with most people here about the physical game, but when you can get it cheaper in the psn you have to buy it there. I just wish my fat ps3 would work with a new HDD. :(

I really love digital downloads and prefer to get them over the discs. It's just unfortunate that Sony does it all wrong. I'm a big fan of Steam, and love how they do things that should be common sense. Such as downloading the updated version instead of downloading the original and then more patches (really, Sony?). Or not needing double the space to account for installing as well.

Maybe they'll get things right with the PS4 and more people will come around.

I agree with most here, I will ALWAYS take the physical dick over a DD any day.

Is that something you want people to know about? O_o

Anyway the main reason why i don't download full PSN games often is because they take up to much time to download. It takes me 5 and a half hours to download inFamous: FoB (5 GB), so imagine a game with 18 GB :|

• Like 1