AMY Review

allenbird

Ok, I just completed AMY on hard last night and here are my thoughts.

Overall, I thought the game was a success. There are alot of areas that they could definitely improve on but overall I would say that it seemed like they had a budget to work with and they couldn't go over it or something.

Pretty much you face 4 types of zombies the entire game. All of them aside from the last super zombie type you use the same tactic for beating: dodge, hit.

The checkpoints are like COD checkpoints where you are just trying to get to the next one. The game only saves after you complete a chapter and there is no manual saves.

The game steadily get's more difficult but the puzzles seem to be the same "switch this, move this, amy push this button, get this key card" type puzzle.

Chapter 4 to me was the hardest level in itself as far as lengthy checkpoints and what you have to deal with in between. The end of Chapter 5 is a challenge, but the beginning of chapter 5 is a cakewalk and chapter 6 is seriously a joke even on hard.

So to me if you can make it past chapter 4, you shouldn't have any issues barring some practice at the end of chapter 5.

They set it up nicely for AMY II though. Maybe this was like a tester game to kinda get their feet wet with it to see where it would go. They have alot to improve on, but I did like the odd story.

amy_top.jpg

Yeah AMY, while it isn't great, isn't as bad as the reviewers made it seem. They took the little things wrong and blew them out of proportion. For a $10 PSN game, the game is what you'd expect. It's what you think a $10 would be like. Definatley set up for an AMY 2 ... hopefully they can build off what they have an improve.

...... Now to take on Hard mode :D

• 4 weeks later...

The only issue I have is using price as a part of the review. A $10 shit game is still a shit game, and if everything I've read and seen is true then this is a shit game. Granted, I'll never know for myself because I have zero intention of buying it but here are plenty of $10-$15 PSN games out there that don't suck so using the cost as a defense doesn't work for me.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Since the patch negated many of the issues people had with this game, I wanted to see it for myself.

Just finished Chapter 1 on Hard and...yeah, it isn't all that bad.

Doesn't mean it's flawless though.These are some of the worst graphics I've seen all year. Wouldn't bother me that much, if the game wouldn't constantly slow down. And I also had to crank up the Gamma correction to Max since I couldn't see shit.

Oh well, at least it's playable apart from the clunky combat.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I may get crap for it but this is like the early iterations of resident evil/tomb raider.

key points: (both/thrice games)

---------------------------------

story and plot were there,

graphics were on par with competetion,

control and load times were hackey.

puzzles were repetitive.

Its a great entry from a relativly new company and i think they have made a decent game for the genre of game it is.

This isn't nathan drake on a apocolyptic escape adventure. Its two vulnerable women/girl learning to be strong.

It defenitly has its faults (most fixed know (thank god!), but what million dollar game doesn't.

Edited by MutinyTeddie

• 1 year later...

I've just completed and 100%'d AMY. I actually enjoyed and can't understand the amount of hate this game gets. 

It has a decent story.

Combat could do with some improvements

Graphics ain't bad

I enjoyed the game and would pick up 2, if they made it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Played this out of curiosity. I wondered if the hand holding was subtle calling back to Ico. Straightforward, just poor communication to the player. I still felt dumb for not figuring on my own that the train attendant was the DNA sample the first key wanted. I was annoyed by the infection indicator as there it’s unclear how close you are to death. I Am Alive dedicated a meter to stamina, so you could tell if you needed to use an item before you made it to point B. Did anyone else wonder why there were 5 slots for psychic powers and only 2 slots were ever used? I was scratching my head at the tail end of the game, thinking at least 1 new power would have come up just for the boss. Glad this one is over, it was sitting in my download list for too long.

• 1 year later...