Gota's Brief Blogs: Destiny and the Problem of Hype.

Gotakibono

Okay, so Destiny finally dropped this week.

At the very least, even if you couldn't give a rat's dildo about Destiny, you should at least be excited about...

The rats are using dildos now? Glad I don't live in the city. Wouldn't want to happen upon a filthy rat pleasuring herself.

Anywho, great read. I was initially excited for this title until I learned that it was devoid of a proper single player campaign. That is a deal breaker for this old gamer.

Edited by VerCettI
  • Like 1

I have to ask do you just have a collection of gifs that you just look over and pick for each blog :)

Nah, I tend to just have a GIF in mind that'd compliment the line or paragraph that precedes it. So, when the time comes to pick a GIF, I already have the style I want in my mind, and then I scour the internet to find the closet thing to it. 

• Like 1

OP - a good blog, thanks for posting.

I haven't the time to read all the responses, so apologies if someone else has already raised this. I remember reading an article once upon a time that some industry commentators had analysed data from games sales and concluded that the best indicator of how many units a game would sell was not word of mouth, review scores, etc etc, but marketing budget. (Unfortunately, I can't find a link to that quickly either!)

I think that this might be part of the reason some people react to hype or overhype badly - because they feel bad when bad games do well and good games with a more modest advertising budget languish in the bargain bins.

I'm not saying Destiny is a bad game, I haven't played it, but I get the feeling from what I've read online that a number of people feel that they have been "conned" by the marketing that went on. 

• 2 weeks later...

I get your point, but nowday every major game gets overhyped and by that I mean:

1-Demos that show things that will never get in the final product (colonial marines much)

2-Hand crafted trailers that showcase few and sparse brilliant moments (usually NON even gameplay moments)

3-CG trailers that not only show things that are totally NOT in the game, but that don't even show the real graphics the game will have

4-Preorder DLC crap for different sites/retailers

5-Social DLC crap on facebook and stupid things like that

6-Up to 4 different collectors editions/ultimate editions/steelcase edition/your mom editions

EDIT: I almost forgot point 7

7-A SEASON PASS for DLCs even before the game gets released.

If any games has even only point 2 and/or 3, I'm not gonna buy on day one. I'll wait, patently for some gameplay and reviews on youtube and then depending on how much I'm convinced that the game is good i'll wait the 50-40-30-20€ range if I'm even getting it at all.

Edited by DocDoomII

I hate hypes, I don't even watch trailers for movies or demos for games.

Once the game is released, I go check my friend youtube for the first 30 minutes of game play then I will decide.

The only game i have pre-ordered was "Batman: Arkham Origins" and that is because bestbuy gave me $10 for preorder and plus that I have loved and enjoyed the previous two, and that preorder was a big fat mistake since the game was bad.

Now, destiny!! I love borderlands so much, that I feel i will keep comparing destiny to it and end up not enjoying it :(  Plus I still have tons of games that I want to play, therefore I chose to ignore destiny 

• 9 months later...

First of all the dichotomy that ''oh its the consumers fault'' is pretty dumb tbh. We gauge what we want to buy by how excited we are.

Can someone explain to me if this Taken King DLC pack is actually a new game or something? people are talking about it as if it is so.

First of all the dichotomy that ''oh its the consumers fault'' is pretty dumb tbh. We gauge what we want to buy by how excited we are.

Can someone explain to me if this Taken King DLC pack is actually a new game or something? people are talking about it as if it is so.

The taken king is an expansion NOT a new game the first two The dark below and House of wolves are what you could call mini dlc. As for the other guys question i like destiny put thousands of hours in (mainly due to nothing else to play)