PS4 Overheating Problem

J_Nagel30

Lately, my PS4 has been getting very hot to the point where I can barely touch it. I have the stand to allow it to be upright but am thinking about laying it down on its side to hopefully fix this issue. Is there any difference in the position of the console and is there a reason it's getting so hot?

Thanks guys

Is your console in an enclosed area where there is very little ventilation or is it out in the open? If it is in an enclosed area, move it, otherwise you won't have a PS4 for very long. If it is in an open area and still overheating, give Sony a call and have them replace it before the warranty expires. What you're experiencing isn't normal (if the console has proper ventilation) and Sony should take care of it.

Parker

I keep it in a well ventilated area on top of my tv unit and I clean it out regularly so dust doesn't build up. I just contacting Sony and have to send it in :/ at least it's covered I suppose..

Thanks for the help guys :)

If it is on top of the TV area, the heat rising from the TV probably won't help the PS4 cool much. If it is physically on top of the TV, well, problem solved :)

If it is on top of the TV area, the heat rising from the TV probably won't help the PS4 cool much. If it is physically on top of the TV, well, problem solved :)

Sorry, I didn't explain it too well. My TV sits on top of my TV unit and my PS4 is beside the TV on the unit as well. There is a fair amount of distance between the PS4 and TV so I don't think that would be causing it :/

Ah! I'm with you now :) Yeah could be a problem with the actual unit then. If you do end up calling Sony - I wish you luck, hopefully their support reps will be awesome.

Haha sorry about that :) yeah, I called them before and they said it is most likely the unit itself but I really want to avoid sending it in unless absolutely necessary because I wouldn't know what to do with myself while it's getting fixed. I might even try restoring it to default settings and see if that works :)

My systems are in an entertainment stand: a windowed door opens to: PS3, PS4, TIVO, RCA receiver, Magnavox DVD/VHS PLAYER and a APC Back-UPS750 Power Supply. I also have my "on-charge PS4 controller inside. The arrangement is (bottom up) : Magnavox, RCA PS3 that sits on 4 stacks of 5 taped together pennies, for vent space and the PS4 sits on a wire-frame kitchen-shelf insert. TIVO is on a separate shelf. The door stay cracked open bout 2 inches and the top of the rear cardboard cover is cut out with a 120mm computer fan installed exhausting hot air. I spliced the fan with a USB plug that goes into the PS system in use. Works great! Although, after 3 years i tore down my PS3 and replaced the thermal paste, which was almost a powder. UR PS4 should be fine in the thermal paste dept but just FYI.