Formula Fusion - By The Former Wipeout Devs

Parker

ffusion.jpg

Formula Fusion is a new Wipeout game in all but name and the creators are former members of Wipeout’s previous home. Wipeout was an important link between the past and the future of games. Not in terms of design, but in terms of its position in popular culture. Created at SCE Studio Liverpool, formerly Psygnosis of Lemmings fame, Wipeout was a flagship title for the PlayStation that also read like a statement of Sony’s intent. With an aesthetic fuelled by The Designers Republic’s counter-cultural consumerist lines and made euphoric by the pulse of its EDM soundtrack, the futuristic racer was a game that you could imagine staring at the sea through dilated pupils on a moon-kissed Ibiza beach. Formula Fusion walks the same walk.

That’s about as much Wipeout as it’s possible to pack into just shy of a minute and a half of video. The game was originally announced as SlamJet Racing, says The Escapist, and will be released on Ps4, Xbone and PC.

I always loved the look of Wipeout but my reflexes were never good enough to handle the speed and the sudden switches in the track. I have strong memories of the front prong of my vehicle butting against the edges of the track and bringing me to an almost complete stop. Misery. Come to think of it, there’s only one futuristic racer that I ever conquered, as far as I can remember. It was, of course,the mighty Rollcage and I eagerly await Rollcage 2015.

Source: RockPaperShotgun

I think the game looks fantastic. The way the vehicles move is a bit strange but that may be because I'm used to the way Wipeout vehicles behave. I'll eagerly be anticipating more gameplay.

Parker 

• Like 1

Heard about this a few days ago and I've been pretty pumped ever since. The only Wipeout game I played was 2048, but I fell in love with it almost immediately. If it's anything like that, then it should be awesome. I'm really digging the F1 racer look. Here's hoping the wait for this isn't too long (and that I actually buy a damn PS4 by then).

Heard about this a few days ago and I've been pretty pumped ever since. The only Wipeout game I played was 2048, but I fell in love with it almost immediately. If it's anything like that, then it should be awesome. I'm really digging the F1 racer look. Here's hoping the wait for this isn't too long (and that I actually buy a damn PS4 by then).

. You should get HD! I actually got it for free but it's still very fun.

. You should get HD! I actually got it for free but it's still very fun.

Oh, trust me, I plan on it. It's just that money has been very tight and I spent the only $100 I had on a Nintendo 64. Any money I do get needs to go to Tales of Heart R, Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus, and Smash Bros. before I even think about buying other games.

How does HD compare to 2048, though? Are they pretty much the same, or would you say one is superior to the other?

Oh, trust me, I plan on it. It's just that money has been very tight and I spent the only $100 I had on a Nintendo 64. Any money I do get needs to go to Tales of Heart R, Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus, and Smash Bros. before I even think about buying other games.

How does HD compare to 2048, though? Are they pretty much the same, or would you say one is superior to the other?

Well if

Well HDs superior but that might be because I prefer the controller but it's really fun and trophies are challenging lol

• 1 year later...

Thanks to Table Top Racing, I decided to check again on the other project of the guys from Wipeout (ya, this game)..

And on their official site are some nice news..

Formula Fusion coming to Playstation!

March 2016

Announcement: Today I can formally announce that we are Official Playstation Developers. Just in case you were wondering if we were doing a PS4 version. This is huge news for us and allows us to press on with our plans to deliver across all major platforms. Microsoft news to follow.

So, it seams that it will end up being released on PS4 after all..

And the latest teaser..

• Like 1

I don't know. I'm a HUGE fan of WipEout. I platinumed both HD and 2048, but Formula Fusion lacks something that WipEout had... Am I the only one who thinks so? It looks very cheap compared to it's predecessor.

It's missing all the Wipeout signature stuff (teams + ship shapes + weapon/speed pad shapes), that's probably why it seams to be lacking something.. but there's no workaround to that, since Sony still owns the rights to Wipeout and all those things..

Also, it's a kickstarter, not a big budget first party game.. and they actually didn't met the target money for the extended gaol of making a PS4 version of the game on kickstarter, so we are very lucky that Sony decided to bring this to ps4 (but then, a Sony system without Wipeout, or in this case a look-a-like, doesn't feel right..).

• Like 2