A message to dumb drivers

tezgamer

Whilst riding my motorcycle home from work on Saturday a car puled out in front of me causing me to bail at 50 mph. The driver in question didn't stop to help but some very good people did. My bike is a right off but luckily I only broke my arm. The police will be knocking on the guys door very soon as the people behind me had cctv fitted. Right now I'm in a lot of pain and won't be gaming for a few weeks, but I got home to my wife and daughter for which I am very grateful.

So if you drive please be aware at juntions check for bikes then check again. We dont have airbags, side impact protection or abs. The only reason I am alive is because I was wearing decent protective clothing. So all you bikers out there gear up stay safe and watch out for careless drivers.

• Like 1

It isn't just bikes that you have to be careful for.

Here in Winnipeg our roads were a skating rink yesterday, but you wouldn't know as the roads look perfectly fine (it was a thin layer of ice). The problem is Winnipeggers know that this happens every year but people A: Refuse to buy Snow Tires and B: Still drive 100KM down the roads.

Anyways, yesterday a joker was riding my ass because I was going THE SPEED LIMIT and then he tried to pass me but skidded and luckily all that happened was he went in the ditch (and didn't hit any other cars).

The first thing we were taught in Driver's Ed was you have to learn to drive defensively because unfortunately everyone else is an idiot that is trying to kill you.

Glad that you're ok. I hate some drivers on the roads here. Hopefully OP can get some recompense for his injuries here, and recovers soon.

Just as some general tips for driving in the UK: I did a stint in a motor claims department for an insurance company once. The 3 most common accidents on UK roads based on my experiences there seem to be:

1.  People not leaving enough breaking distance and hitting the vehicle in front of them. Not a lot you can do about this if you're in front, but you won't be at fault if someone goes into the back of you. 

2.  People not paying attention in a car park and having a little bump. The rule here is to be careful and aware of everything around you in a car park. If you're worried about another moving vehicle, stop your vehicle. If you are not moving when someone else hits you, you won't be at fault.

3.  People joining the road when they shouldn't. Be aware of side roads and that people are fucking morons who might not have looked for or seen you before they pull out. Unless you are speeding or in a lane you shouldn't be in, the presumption will be that the person coming out of the side road will be at fault.

• Like 2

I'm glad you are alright and I always check for bikes on the road. However, in my hometown at least, we have a bigger problem with motorcycles passing between lanes on the highway... not cool. All parties need to share the road without being assholes.

Have to agree many bikers are dumb personally I always ride carefully and stick to the speed limit. My priority is always getting home to my family in one piece.
  • Like 1

Glad that you're ok. I hate some drivers on the roads here. Hopefully OP can get some recompense for his injuries here, and recovers soon.

Just as some general tips for driving in the UK: I did a stint in a motor claims department for an insurance company once. The 3 most common accidents on UK roads based on my experiences there seem to be:

1.  People not leaving enough breaking distance and hitting the vehicle in front of them. Not a lot you can do about this if you're in front, but you won't be at fault if someone goes into the back of you. 

2.  People not paying attention in a car park and having a little bump. The rule here is to be careful and aware of everything around you in a car park. If you're worried about another moving vehicle, stop your vehicle. If you are not moving when someone else hits you, you won't be at fault.

3.  People joining the road when they shouldn't. Be aware of side roads and that people are fucking morons who might not have looked for or seen you before they pull out. Unless you are speeding or in a lane you shouldn't be in, the presumption will be that the person coming out of the side road will be at fault.

Actually in car parks here in the UK, any accidents and nothing is done about it.  Someone drove out on my mom as we were going past them and nothing at all was done about it.  And the driver of the other car wouldn't own up to his mistake, so my mom had to pay for the damage he did to her car.

This is really the reason that puts me off driving if it weren't keeping the car maintained and so on, it's the idiot drivers.

Glad the OP is okay though, motorcycles can be so dangerous during this time of the year never mind car drivers making it more difficult.

Edited by DEMON

Actually in car parks here in the UK, any accidents and nothing is done about it.  Someone drove out on my mom as we were going past them and nothing at all was done about it.  And the driver of the other car wouldn't own up to his mistake, so my mom had to pay for the damage he did to her car.

That's what the court system is for. Next time, make a note of the other car's licence plate and inform your insurance company of what happened. They'll find out the other car's details and sue the person responsible on your behalf if their insurance won't pay up. You buy insurance, so you may as well use it. I used to be the guy who would sue people for the insurance company.

Oh yeah; and OP should notify his insurer about the damage to the bike, etc and get the car driver's insurance to pay for the damage.

Edited by StrickenBiged

To be honest guys the money aspect of this situation isn't that important to me. I am of course going to claim on the insurance but am just grateful to be not too seriously injured or worse. The point of this thread was just to try and raise a little awareness of what is a serious problem here in the UK.

Also was feeling a little sorry for myself. I have several weeks off work just bought far cry 4 and I cant even hold my controller never mind play games.

Whilst riding my motorcycle home from work on Saturday a car puled out in front of me causing me to bail at 50 mph. The driver in question didn't stop to help but some very good people did. My bike is a right off but luckily I only broke my arm. The police will be knocking on the guys door very soon as the people behind me had cctv fitted. Right now I'm in a lot of pain and won't be gaming for a few weeks, but I got home to my wife and daughter for which I am very grateful.

So if you drive please be aware at juntions check for bikes then check again. We dont have airbags, side impact protection or abs. The only reason I am alive is because I was wearing decent protective clothing. So all you bikers out there gear up stay safe and watch out for careless drivers.

Good thing your alive with a just a few scratches.. Poor driving skills of the guy will hopefully learn his lesson. I live Where there's a Motorcycle rally every year.. Unfortunate  that Both Bikers and people operating a car or truck or any other vehicles. I see the most stupid things happen.

The pic with 2 bikers collide. See this every year during Sturgis..

y965HcoUULQ

it a biker going at 100 MPH and hit a car.. :(

To be honest guys the money aspect of this situation isn't that important to me. I am of course going to claim on the insurance but am just grateful to be not too seriously injured or worse. The point of this thread was just to try and raise a little awareness of what is a serious problem here in the UK.

Also was feeling a little sorry for myself. I have several weeks off work just bought far cry 4 and I cant even hold my controller never mind play games.

Sorry you cant play games. Its  problem here too in the US. My uncle had the same thing happen. Some dumb farmer chick pulls out in traffic with a Behemoth of a truck all black. Didnt see my uncle and he ended up underneath her front end and engine. 

Edited by Dimmu-T