Suggestion to non premium members like me.

You are being unnecessarily aggressive by saying that, "It's rather hypocritical to tell people not to use adblock if you're using it yourself." The guy who created this post just wanted to remind everyone that you CAN support this site by turning it off, cut the guy some slack, I don't remember him forcing you to. We couldn't care less about you not wanting to support the site but you can't call the reasons of people who want to "hypocritical" when they didn't target people like you.

It wasn't aggressive; it IS hypocritical to block advertisements while telling people not to. If he's aware of how adblocking negatively affects site owners and wants it to stop, why is he taking part in it?

I'm not sure where I gave the impression that I felt he was forcing me to turn it off. I was just showing that my reason for using adblock was simply that I didn't have to see ads and not a calculated effort to deprive specific site owners of money. I would imagine that makes up a large portion of adblock users.

• Like 1

It wasn't aggressive; it IS hypocritical to block advertisements while telling people not to. If he's aware of how adblocking negatively affects site owners and wants it to stop, why is he taking part in it

Have you been on the Internet long ? Although some sites, this one included, actually care about their design and die a little inside when they have to add adverts, a large majority force them so far down your neck that you're worried they will come out the otherside without having time to be digested. This is why I, and many other installed adblock in the first place. You can't ask google to send you to sites without agressive advertising, you find the right ones that are actually helpfull and then you can decide to help those people who actually care about that small legacy they are putting out. 

So no it isn't hypocrytical to do such things, and yes it read as an agressive first post. If you can't see that or that wasn't your intention, fine, but I obviously wasn't the only one to believe it sounded out of place, but at least not as bad as other posts out there - but this is Internet so intonation doesn't work, hence you should also be given the benefit of doubt ;)

It wasn't aggressive; it IS hypocritical to block advertisements while telling people not to. If he's aware of how adblocking negatively affects site owners and wants it to stop, why is he taking part in it?

Nice to know that it wasn't aggressive cause even Santaislie felt that it was but it's good if you didn't mean it :D

I'm not a big user of Adblock so I don't really know how it works therefore can't argue with you, knowing that I don't know much about it, but I'm curious, how do you know he does? :unsure:

And I just noticed that you are a premium member so why use adblock? :unsure:

Edited by Lovejinder_LJ

Yes i use adblock, but my reasons for it are simple. I don't want to see ads on websites. A ton of websites have a crap ton of ads, and personally not seeing them makes me enjoy my internet experience more. I dont run adblock on this site because it is the only way for me to give them money. I have no credit card, so for the time being, becoming premium isn't an option. 

Some websites deserve to not have adblock run on them, because they are amazing websites like this one.

• Like 1

Yes i use adblock, but my reasons for it are simple. I don't want to see ads on websites. A ton of websites have a crap ton of ads, and personally not seeing them makes me enjoy my internet experience more. I dont run adblock on this site because it is the only way for me to give them money. I have no credit card, so for the time being, becoming premium isn't an option. 

Some websites deserve to not have adblock run on them, because they are amazing websites like this one.

If you have a Debit banking card then you can make a paypal account and pay for premium that way.

If you have a Debit banking card then you can make a paypal account and pay for premium that way.

It's a shame i don't. I'm 17 and havent found a use for having a bank card yet (though this is one) Most minors tend not to have credit cards or bank cards, so i can see that being a huge reason why more people dont have premium.  

Edited by KingKiller1759

It's tough figuring out how to support websites without access to credit or bank cards. My brother loves a music composing site where he can comment on others' songs and receive comments from others, but it's always a struggle to find a good way to get him Premium (He blew through the free allotment of songs in a month) because my mother limits the ways he can pay for things on the Internet. I am thinking of getting him one of those credit-company gift cards this year.