Will PS3 trophies become unobtainable?

Velocity_Eleven

I like online trophies, it makes people rush to get platinums.

If there weren't online trophies people would always procrastinate in earning any trophy later, because trophies would always be achievable.

If that would be a fact most of SP games wouldn't have so many platinum achievers, I think that highly depend of the excitement of the game and how big is your trophy addiction.

That's the issue with this past and current gen of gaming.  I personally love going back to old games to enjoy them.  

Say there's a game I missed out on the PS3 and want to get the trophs for but can't because of some stupid sever bullshit?  This is primarily why I generally stick to single player games where that won't be a problem.  I don't think the PS3 will go completely offline unless Sony does though.  It's the same network so it "should" be safe. 

Who knows though...I could be completely wrong.  :shrug:

Edited by daftprophet

The PS2 production stopped on 29th of december 2012 (Release: november 2000 (EU)).

So, I guess, we have 4-5 years until the PS3 production stops.

Means, we have at least 5 years were PSN _MUST_ be available.

You are thinking "maybe the PS3 doesnt get that old?" .. but wait... let me google that...

http://www.statista.com/statistics/281860/sales-of-the-playstation-3-gaming-devices-in-the-united-kingdom-uk/

And thats only from UK! I dont think Sony will throw all this potential PS+ users in the recycle bin. :P (mine ist from 2013, a superslim)

And hey, when most of the peoples are using the PS4, the "old" PSN doenst create that much running costs... right? Maybe it will run "forever" :)

The grandfather of Blizzard's Battle.net is also still running. Im still able to play Warcraft2 (1996 ?) online over Battle.net's grandfather. ^_^

But if you like trophies, maybe its a good idea to avoid some publishers (EA *caugh* *caugh*)

I don't think so, it'll depend on the developer and if they decide to shut down the servers. Doesn't the PS3 use the same PSN server thingy as the PS4? I think PSN will always be there, but maybe not the servers of some games so you won't be able to get some online trophies, but you will still be able to get SP trophies and sync them with the PSN account you have.

At least i hope it'll be that way.

Edited by Sakura

• 3 weeks later...

I think we still have quite some time left, games are still being released on the PS3 and since the PSN network is Sony's it's up to them, obviously a lot of servers have gone offline but that was not in Sony's hands. They will want PS3 sales to continue (at cut prices obviously) so switching off PSN access in the next couple of years would not be a good move.