Given the VIta offerings on PS+ only, is the Vita worth it?

BraveNoobWorld

Mate 1 word: YES!

Now to answer your questions and give you a few suggestions:

1. Is there enough there, in your opinion, to justify a Vita?

Yes, definitely. You have on average 2-3 games coming out each month depending on how many are Cross-Buy. While some of these games are short some are quite lengthy and have multiplayer or some sort of re-playability.

2. If you didn't already own a Vita, what are some games on that list that would sell you on buying one?

Uncharted: Golden Abyss, WipEout 2048, The Hungry Horde, NFS: MW, Terraria and Unit 13 to name a few.

3. What games do you anticipate coming to Vita on PS+ in the next year?

I hope that The Walking Dead Season 2, God of war Collection and Resistance: Burning Skies comes to PS+.

​Now just in case you do end up getting a bit of change to spend on Vita games I highly recommend Killzone: Mercenaries and Playstation: Allstars as these two games are very good. You can probably find these games on the store for around $15. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info everyone. Very much appreciated.

I probably will pick up a Vita at some point in the new year, especially if there's a bundle/sale on TWD or Wolf Among Us. The only bundle currently available around me is Borderlands 2, which I've already played on Ps3. I'll hold off on Persona 4 Golden, as I still have Persona 3 sitting unplayed on my shelf. I realize they are separate, but I'd rather play 3 first. Of course,  my purchase is dependent on whether the thing actually feels good in my hands. I have big hands, so even the DS3 gives me trouble sometimes compared to the 360 controller.

Now, should I go OLED or Slim? :P  *Ducks*

Sidenote: I appreciate that "Should I buy a Vita" threads  may be tiresome to people on this forum, but the simple solution for those bothered by it is not to click on the link.

Edited by BraveNoobWorld

You can't play physical PSP games on Vita

PS2  xD

Edit: Random thought, but if the Vita had functionality as a ps3 controller (like Sony said it would) my decision would already have been made up a while ago. I don't do local co-op that often enough to justify another ds3, but having an extra controller would be certainly enhance the value of a Vita.

Edited by BraveNoobWorld

PS2  xD

Edit: Random thought, but if the Vita had functionality as a ps3 controller (like Sony said it would) my decision would already have been made up a while ago. I don't do local co-op that often enough to justify another ds3, but having an extra controller would be certainly enhance the value of a Vita.

Well there is a case which adds the R2 and L2 button functionality, so If you kinda want to use it as a DS3 with a screen, go with that case. I'll try to find a review for you because I kind of want one too! :P

And I also did a bit of stalking on your profile and noticed you are only the local co-op trophy off FIFA Street. DUDE! Get an extra controller! Just keep it unless your other one dies or it starts pressing buttons that you are not actually pressing. It's always good to have a back up controller. Then use it whenever you have to.

EDIT: I realised that my first line of text wasn't what you were asking, but it is a nice case anyway so worth looking into  :D

Edited by NiTR0--X_
  • Like 1

Well there is a case which adds the R2 and L2 button functionality, so If you kinda want to use it as a DS3 with a screen, go with that case. I'll try to find a review for you because I kind of want one too! :P

And I also did a bit of stalking on your profile and noticed you are only the local co-op trophy off FIFA Street. DUDE! Get an extra controller! Just keep it unless your other one dies or it starts pressing buttons that you are not actually pressing. It's always good to have a back up controller. Then use it whenever you have to.

EDIT: I realised that my first line of text wasn't what you were asking, but it is a nice case anyway so worth looking into  :D

Re: FIFA Street. I know right?! It's been sitting at 98% like that since March I think. It's gone so long now I almost want to leave it so I can be the last person to earn that plat. :P Another controller is also the only thing keeping me from Ibb & Obb and Skullgirls 100%'s. I'm hoping for a boxing day sale on controllers.

As far as using the vita as a ps3 controller. does that actually work? i heard it was hit and miss (mostly miss) as to which games it worked with.

Edited by BraveNoobWorld

I got mine because of all of the boasts it made about being the perfect PS4 companion. Remote play was a godsend to me as I used to work nights and it was the only way I got to play during the day. 

One of the selling points of the Vita for me was the vast array of PS+ titles I had amassed over the year. Shame I didn't start getting them as soon as I signed up for PS+ but I didn't realize you could do that to begin with, I'd say it depends on if you care about your completion at all. In the beginning I didn't give a toss and tried every game I got my hands on. As time went on I started to care alot more and tried to keep my games list smaller so as better to manage. I found that the main sacrifice in this was the PS+ titles. Of course I was going to spend my time and effort mainly on finishing the games I paid for and chose to buy. As my Vita library consisted solely of PS+ titles it got shelved for several months, collecting dust. Very sad but it all got remedied when I bought Final Fantasy X. Mmmmmmmm.....

The Vita is a fantastic piece of kit but if money is an issue and you're interested in getting a PS4 I would say wait and save for that. If I could marry my PS4 I would, the wife and child can live elsewhere! 

• Like 1

I was initially unsure and originally planned on getting one just for Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition - which is out next month!

However, I ended up getting one in October with a couple of games in mind. Since then I have already got around 10 more games.

I would say go for it.

• Like 1

1000. Vita 2000 has worse screen.

The Vita 2000 doesn't have the worse screen, I know plenty of reviews make it out to be. But when you get them side by side, the Vita Slim looks alot nicer, the colours look abit more natural rather than being over saturated as they appear on the original Vita. I replaced my original Vita with a Slim and don't regret the decision at all, its lighter, fits in my hand better, the battery lasts longer and it can use a generic microUSB charger rather than a proprietary Sony one. 

You definitely won't regret getting a Vita even with only having the PS+ games, its an awesome device for gaming on the move or when your girlfriend won't let you take over the TV. There's also quite a few free to play games on the Vita as well, like Jet Pack Joyride, Destiny of Spirits and Ecolibrium, about 20 free demos, and alot of old games are quite cheap now (LBP on Vita is only £5).

• Like 1

I got mine because of all of the boasts it made about being the perfect PS4 companion. Remote play was a godsend to me as I used to work nights and it was the only way I got to play during the day. 

One of the selling points of the Vita for me was the vast array of PS+ titles I had amassed over the year. Shame I didn't start getting them as soon as I signed up for PS+ but I didn't realize you could do that to begin with, I'd say it depends on if you care about your completion at all. In the beginning I didn't give a toss and tried every game I got my hands on. As time went on I started to care alot more and tried to keep my games list smaller so as better to manage. I found that the main sacrifice in this was the PS+ titles. Of course I was going to spend my time and effort mainly on finishing the games I paid for and chose to buy. As my Vita library consisted solely of PS+ titles it got shelved for several months, collecting dust. Very sad but it all got remedied when I bought Final Fantasy X. Mmmmmmmm.....

The Vita is a fantastic piece of kit but if money is an issue and you're interested in getting a PS4 I would say wait and save for that. If I could marry my PS4 I would, the wife and child can live elsewhere! 

The fact I'm still catching up on PS3 titles and will be for a while makes PS4 a moot point for now. There's no game that would be a system seller for me, and there's all sorts of stuff on last gen that I never played. Hell, I'll be starting Mass Effect 1 soon. At this point I'm firmly entrenched in the "patient gamer" category. There's so much good old stuff out there, that paying $70 for a new (and potentially unfinished) game is ludicrous. 

I definitely take your point about PS+ though. At first I wasn't discerning at all about what I downloaded. I didn't realize how quickly the titles stack up, especially if you've never played any of the offerings by default. Every plus game is a new game. 

Re: FIFA Street. I know right?! It's been sitting at 98% like that since March I think. It's gone so long now I almost want to leave it so I can be the last person to earn that plat. :P Another controller is also the only thing keeping me from Ibb & Obb and Skullgirls 100%'s. I'm hoping for a boxing day sale on controllers.

As far as using the vita as a ps3 controller. does that actually work? i heard it was hit and miss (mostly miss) as to which games it worked with.

Dude, I would kill to have your Street list ahaha. I think you so should be the last achiever though!  xD  xD

With the Vita TV and it's compatible games, i'm pretty sure it's mainly big titles like Killzone: Mercenaries, WipEout 2048 and few smaller ones like the Hungry Horde etc.

I'm sure somewhere online there is a list of games supported.  B)

Dude, I would kill to have your Street list ahaha. I think you so should be the last achiever though!  xD  xD

With the Vita TV and it's compatible games, i'm pretty sure it's mainly big titles like Killzone: Mercenaries, WipEout 2048 and few smaller ones like the Hungry Horde etc.

I'm sure somewhere online there is a list of games supported.  B)

Thanks man. I busted my ass to get Online Dominance. Bought the game with 10 weeks left before the servers were supposed to go down. A year later and they're still up. Grrr. Wish I'd had time to enjoy that game at a more leisurely pace.

Thanks man. I busted my ass to get Online Dominance. Bought the game with 10 weeks left before the servers were supposed to go down. A year later and they're still up. Grrr. Wish I'd had time to enjoy that game at a more leisurely pace.

I have missed two cups in this rotation... Won the cup for next week so the week after I start FIFA Street again :) 

But yeah that sucks about busting your arse on Street.. Oh well, needs to be done i guess, cause I'm really cautious with the servers.

My opinion:

Me and my GF both got our Vita while we was in Japan early this year. I got a limited edition one and she got the 2000 model.
Having big hands, i play better with mine, the 2000 is really a feather and the buttons are a little better, so if you try to get one, mind your hand "posture" first!

Speaking of games, so far i've got lots of funny things from PSPlus , and also 30 titles or so between me and my GF in physical copies. If you travel alot and like some games like project diva, the neptunia series, visual novels like DanganRonpa, VLR or Mind 0, then think about getting one.  :platinum:

• Like 1

Speaking of games, so far i've got lots of funny things from PSPlus , and also 30 titles or so between me and my GF in physical copies. If you travel alot and like some games like project diva, the neptunia series, visual novels like DanganRonpa, VLR or Mind 0, then think about getting one.  :platinum:

Firstly, I absolutely agree with this.

But secondly, we should consider Vita in this thread only from PS+ point of view. =)

And I'm pretty sure you would agree that none of those games has a chance to come to plus (especially when the miracle of VLR coming to plus already happened).