Given the VIta offerings on PS+ only, is the Vita worth it?

BraveNoobWorld

Sorry if this falls into retread territory, but I've recently been considering a Vita, and thought I would seek guidance.

I don't have a lot of money to throw around on games, so if I buy a Vita I will be limited pretty much to the PS Plus library I've built over the last year. I bought PS+ in January, so this is what I've got (ranked by metacritic score):

Fez (cross-buy PS3,Vita)

Velocity 2X (cross-buy PS4)

Limbo

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (cross-buy)

Spelunky

Velocity Ultra

Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate (cross-buy PS4)

Joe Danger

Terraria

Mutant Mudds Deluxe (cross-buy PS3)

PixelJunk Monsters: Ultimate HD

TxK

Gravity Rush

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath

Luftrausers (cross-buy PS3)

SteamWorld Dig (cross-buy PS4)

Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut (cross-buy)

Uncharted: Golden Abyss

WipEout 2048

Street Fighter X Tekken

Need for Speed: Most Wanted (free on psn)

Thomas Was Alone (cross-buy)

Stealth Inc: A Clone in the Dark (cross-buy PS3)

Muramasa Rebirth

Dragon's Crown (cross-buy PS3)

Surge Deluxe

Proteus (cross-buy PS3)

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (cross-buy PS3)

Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale (cross-buy PS3)

Pix the Cat

Smart As...

Worms: Battle Islands

Urban Trial Freestyle

Unit 13

Escape Plan (cross-buy)

Rainbow Moon

Metrico

Doki-Doki Universe (cross-buy PS3/PS4)

ModNation Racers: Road Trip

The Hungry Horde

Titan Attacks!

Final Horizon

Game preferences: racing, puzzle-platformers, action-adventure, shoot'em up, tactical strategy, sports, anything with a good story, sci-fi

Dislike: kart racers, anything with a ton of fetch quests, magic (not a religious nut, it just doesn't interest me), fighting games

situational: 1st/3rd person shooters, most rpg's (see fetch quests)

So 3 questions:

1. Is there enough there, in your opinion, to justify a Vita?

2. If you didn't already own a Vita, what are some games on that list that would sell you on buying one?

3. What games do you anticipate coming to Vita on PS+ in the next year?

Thanks. :)

Edit: formatting

Edited by BraveNoobWorld

Even if the PlayStation Plus offerings properly suits your gaming tastes, I would only recommend getting a PlayStation Vita if you are really into indie games or niche JRPGs, like Sword Art Online and Neptunia, as those will be the only type of games that will come to Vita. Sony has abandoned ship a while ago, so the only new racing/FPS/sports you'll see from it will be with Remote Play. I bought one a while ago and enjoy it, but the notable releases that're not on PlayStation Plus are mostly Japanese games. 

I also expect Killzone: Mercs, Need for Speed: Most Wanted and Tearaway to come to PS+ next year.

If more then 5 of those games look interesting: Yes you should get a vita.

If none of those games interesting you: No you shouldn't get a vita.

1. Yes that is more then enough games to justify buying a vita, but only if you want to play most of them. If you have zero interest in those games don't waste your money on something you won't use.
  2. Gravity Rush, Muramasa Rebirth, Dragon's Crown, The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth and both Velocity game would get me to buy a vita if I didn't already have one.
  3. Persona 4 Golden, Soul Sacrifice Delta, Ragnarok Odyssey, The Walking Dead, Toukiden: The Age of Demons, God of War 1 and God of War 2.
Edited by soultaker655
  • Like 1

Sorry if this falls into retread territory, but I've recently been considering a Vita, and thought I would seek guidance.

I don't have a lot of money to throw around on games, so if I buy a Vita I will be limited pretty much to the PS Plus library I've built over the last year. I bought PS+ in January, so this is what I've got (ranked by metacritic score):

(43 Titles including lots of cross-buys)

So 3 questions:

1. Is there enough there, in your opinion, to justify a Vita?

2. If you didn't already own a Vita, what are some games on that list that would sell you on buying one?

3. What games do you anticipate coming to Vita on PS+ in the next year?

Thanks. :)

Edit: formatting

1. If you have to ask us, then NO. Don't buy a Vita. Wait until there are specific titles YOU want.

2. I wanted a Vita after seeing some Little Deviants footage, and that game blew, so I'm not a good judge.

3. I don't anticipate ANY games coming to PS+ for any of the systems. Reminds me of children waiting for Christmas presents. Except as soon as the new titles are announced, the Children throw fits cause it's not the toys THEY though they should have gotten and they bitch endlessly about last years toys being SO much better.

I bought Plus to backup my saves, and it was on sale. The included games are a bonus.

Save yourself the time and effort of reading responses. Don't buy a Vita. Ignore it, ignore anything that has to do with it. You've gone this far without one and even though you have access to 43 different titles on it, none of those have convinced you to get one, so I doubt someone just saying you should will do anything.

P.S. I love my Vita and think everyone should get one that is into gaming. Have a smart phone? You've probably already paid WAY more for that then you will have for a Vita.

head-against-wall.jpg

And another Vita thread...

Even on the same date.

Well... at least this has different purpose.

You've gone this far without one and even though you have access to 43 different titles on it, none of those have convinced you to get one, so I doubt someone just saying you should will do anything.

Pretty much this.

If the quarter of Vita's library did not convince you, nothing new probably will.

As for the question what will come to PS+ next year... um... most likely 2015 indies.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

Even with half those games I'd but the Vita over again! Gravity Rush is hella fun, Golden Abyss - brilliant plus easy plat. Final Horizon was fun to play and a very easy plat. Velocity Ultra and 2X are amazing to play. I dropped my first Vita and the screen broke but I broke the bank to get another one pretty much straight away. If I had to choose between PS3, PS4, or PS Vita, I would need to have a very long hard think with PSV as a front runner. The only sucky thing is the cost of a decent size memory card. I paid £55 for my 32gb and that's full. Not sure I can justify spending £80 on the 64gb when I really need a 1tb portable HD more urgently.

• Like 1

If more then 5 of those games look interesting: Yes you should get a vita.

If none of those games interesting you: No you shouldn't get a vita.

1. Yes that is more then enough games to justify buying a vita, but only if you want to play most of them. If you have zero interest in those games don't waste your money on something you won't use.
  2. Gravity Rush, Muramasa Rebirth, Dragon's Crown, The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth and both Velocity game would get me to buy a vita if I didn't already have one.

Pretty much this. I wanted a vita for a long long time and I don't regret getting mine, I can play at work during my lunch time and I love it. Would buy another one ASAP if mine broke or got stole. Can't give you a impartial answer since I'm a long time vita lover. I would defo get a vita for Dragon's Crown, The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth and PIX THE CAT. If you are the AAA kind of gamer buying every launch with preorder asap, you will hate the vita for sure.

Even with half those games I'd but the Vita over again! Gravity Rush is hella fun, Golden Abyss - brilliant plus easy plat. Final Horizon was fun to play and a very easy plat. Velocity Ultra and 2X are amazing to play. I dropped my first Vita and the screen broke but I broke the bank to get another one pretty much straight away. If I had to choose between PS3, PS4, or PS Vita, I would need to have a very long hard think with PSV as a front runner. The only sucky thing is the cost of a decent size memory card. I paid £55 for my 32gb and that's full. Not sure I can justify spending £80 on the 64gb when I really need a 1tb portable HD more urgently.

/\ how my exact thoughs would be like if I was in his situation.

Too bad you didn't start abit sooner. You missed out on Soul Sacrafice and Virtue's Last Reward.

Soul Surviour is a good Silent Hill esq game to play with a decent pair of head phones.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is Smash TV or Dead Nation + Legend of Zelda RPG shooter with a really dark story. Really fun game but time consuming trophy wise.

Pix the cat is Pac-man meets centipide

Titan Attacks! is an updated space invaiders.

Muramasa Rebirth is a fun hack n slash RPG.

I could go on and on but for me the Vita was worth it. No regrets.

If you like a good story, you can't get a Vita and not get Persona 4 Golden.

I keep hearing this is a Vita must have. Do you have to have played the other three to get whats going on in the story or can you just jump in?

• Like 1

I keep hearing this is a Vita must have. Do you have to have played the other three to get whats going on in the story or can you just jump in?

Maybe save for Persona Q, every Persona entry has a completely different storyline. You might find a few references to previous Persona games or other Atlus titles, but that's about it. 

• Like 1

I stalked your profile a little and it seems like you play a decent variety of games. Most people say Vita only has JRPGs, but those are rarely featured on plus in my experience, so it's mostly some different indies and such. I bought my Vita with the intention of just using my PS Plus games, which I haven't renewed yet so I've been playing some freebies on the store and Most Wanted and I've been having a blast.

I say a Vita is really only worth it if you travel. I ride buses a lot, so it's nice to be able to sit back and play. My brother, on the other hand, doesn't go anywhere, so he doesn't see the need for the Vita. The Vita's selling point is it's portability, not it's game library so to say.

• Like 1

Dood. Punctuation. It's incredibly difficult for an old man like me to read that constant stream of games.

Not sure what you mean. I fixed the formatting within 30 seconds of originally posting.

1. If you have to ask us, then NO. Don't buy a Vita. Wait until there are specific titles YOU want.

2. I wanted a Vita after seeing some Little Deviants footage, and that game blew, so I'm not a good judge.

3. I don't anticipate ANY games coming to PS+ for any of the systems. Reminds me of children waiting for Christmas presents. Except as soon as the new titles are announced, the Children throw fits cause it's not the toys THEY though they should have gotten and they bitch endlessly about last years toys being SO much better.

I bought Plus to backup my saves, and it was on sale. The included games are a bonus.

Save yourself the time and effort of reading responses. Don't buy a Vita. Ignore it, ignore anything that has to do with it. You've gone this far without one and even though you have access to 43 different titles on it, none of those have convinced you to get one, so I doubt someone just saying you should will do anything.

P.S. I love my Vita and think everyone should get one that is into gaming. Have a smart phone? You've probably already paid WAY more for that then you will have for a Vita.

A lot of wrong assumptions in this post.

I asked what people anticipate being on PS+ Vita in the coming year because my knowledge base of the Vita library is obviously not as good as people who own one. I'm not banking on anything showing up on plus, but it would be a contributing factor to know that there's not a bunch of garbage on the way. Obviously no one can see the future besides the Sony execs, but my experience with PS3 is that there is a category of games that tend to show up on plus sooner rather than later. Eg. First party games by Sony, games with a sequel coming that year, anything by curve studios, etc. 

My not getting a Vita by now is a function of finances, not desire. I didn't have a PS3 until January. I missed the entire generation of games due to being slightly busy with other life stuff. Also, no I do not own a smart phone.

You bought plus for game backups. That's cool. Myself and others bought it primarily for games. I've already said my budget for games would be minimal if I bought a Vita; therefore the IGC is a big part of whether I choose to buy a console. It will certainly contribute to if and when I buy a PS4. It's not rocket science.

I wasn't looking for someone to convince me to buy a Vita. I was trying to expand my knowledge base on the subject in order to make a more informed decision. Thanks, but no thanks for the condescension. Have a good day.

And another Vita thread...

Even on the same date.

And on a Vita sub-forum, no less. Madness I say! :rolleyes:

I stalked your profile a little and it seems like you play a decent variety of games. Most people say Vita only has JRPGs, but those are rarely featured on plus in my experience, so it's mostly some different indies and such. I bought my Vita with the intention of just using my PS Plus games, which I haven't renewed yet so I've been playing some freebies on the store and Most Wanted and I've been having a blast.

I say a Vita is really only worth it if you travel. I ride buses a lot, so it's nice to be able to sit back and play. My brother, on the other hand, doesn't go anywhere, so he doesn't see the need for the Vita. The Vita's selling point is it's portability, not it's game library so to say.

Good point, and it's something I probably should consider. I travel a fair bit, but I don't feel an intense desire to game when I'm out and about. I would mostly be getting it for when I can't be bothered to sit at my tiny tv and play ps3. 

P1 and P2 are not relevant but I would still suggest at least finishing P3 once. =)

And on a Vita sub-forum, no less. Madness I say!  :rolleyes:

Another thread about "should I buy Vita" I meant.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami
  • Like 1

I'd focus your attention on the games that you can't play on the PS3 or, if you plan on getting one, the PS4. Read some reviews, watch some gameplay videos, and see what you think.

The main pull of a Vita will be those games that aren't out on other consoles or cross-buy.

I love my Vita. The main advantage that I see is that my wife doesn't object to me playing on it in bed, whereas she gets mad if I stay up in the living room and play games in there. I'm still gaming, so it's win/win in our house, all thanks to Vita.

• Like 2

Maybe save for Persona Q, every Persona entry has a completely different storyline. You might find a few references to previous Persona games or other Atlus titles, but that's about it. 

That's bad idea. Persona Q is a combination of characters from Persona 3 and 4 and gameplay mechanics from Etrian Odyssey games. So it's not just "few references".

If someone wants to get into Persona then I recommend starting with P3P on PSP and then P4G on Vita (since P4G is better than P3P IMO)

• Like 1

Even if the PlayStation Plus offerings properly suits your gaming tastes, I would only recommend getting a PlayStation Vita if you are really into indie games or niche JRPGs

Pretty much this.  I love my vita and the games I have for it, but if you haven't already been convinced (either by what's already out or the list of what you have), I would say just pass.  In fact, judging from your game preferences I would say you probably wouldn't be wholly satisfied.

Sounds to me like you would be better off either saving up for a PS4 or getting other PS3 games that appeal to you.

• Like 1

I have to say, absolutely!  Just with Uncharted and Unit 13 alone, it's a crazy cool handheld console. I'm currently working through Sly, NFS MW, and Smart As right now and I'm still having a blast. I also have a huge backlog from PS+ that I'm trying to get through. Another thing is that on eBay and Amazon, you can get almost all of the US release games for around $10-25. 

The only downside to the console is the outrageous price of memory. I got a 16gb card for $19.99 on sale at Gamestop last year, and that's been "alright," but not totally satisfactory. Right now I have Jetpack Joyride, Killzone Mercenary, Smart As, Sly Cooper Thieves in Time, NFS Most Wanted, Hotline Miami, Lone Survivor, The Hungry Horde, PS All Stars, and Arkaham Origins on it right now and it is capped out. Just keep that in mind! 

• Like 1