First ever impression.

Belive it or not. I've been gaming my whole life, alot. But, I've actually never played, any Kingdom Hearts title. My biggest shame ever I think.
I've known how loved this series is and what im missing out. I even got the chills when KH3 was announced, yet I don't know shit about it.
I finally got KH 1.5 and 2.5. And I've been playing KH1 a bit for the last couple of days. I won't finish 1 YET. Because I've gotten higher priorities, like Shadow of Mordor. But after that, I will play, and probably 100% the game and every DLC for 1.5.
And I just wanted to write a bit about the game and my impressions.

Note: This isn't an review and I won't go deep into the plot and characters and such.
Second Side Note: May come some very mild spoiler.

So I've gotten about 10 games to play now, and my girlfriend visited my place a few days. And she loves Battlefield. So my PS4 has been occupied and I haven't got a chance to play 8 of the 10 titles. So I started Kingdom Hearts I Final Mix.
At the time I actually wasn't really hyped sadly. Because I had Shadow of Mordor as I stated and was saving KH for later.

But I'm surprised, going in knowing not more than - A guy named Sora with a Key thingy, with disney characters I love and grew up with - I feel happy.
There are alot of ups and downs.
I haven't come a long way into the game yet, im at Agrabah (Aladdin) about to kick Jafar's ass. 
I love Disney and grew up with every Disney movie to date and I watch basically everything animated by the companies that made my childhood and now my cousins and such childhoods. So I love the theme of different worlds, and I love Cloud's appearence and a little Final Fantasy character mix. It's perfect.
I really like the plot also. It feels kind of like revisiting my childhood if you know what I mean. When I went to Agrabah and Aladdin told the Genie 
''My second wish is too be a Prince'' oh man did that take me back..
The game have some cheesy jokes sometimes, and Donald - Sora 'rivaly' is great.
When Riku got tricked I felt.. No words :(

BUT. The game has ALOT of things I dislike sadly.
The Gummi Ship missions. Oh god I absolutely hate the Gummi Ship travels, they're like the worst loading screen ever in my opinion,
It feels like an loading screen you can control. But seriously, the design is REALLY REALLY lazy. And sometimes they're pretty long. The first time I did it, I kind of giggled and thought it would be over pretty fast. Well I have to do it every travel, I was fighting the Cerberus and had to travel to Traverse Town, and had to play that - way too long - gummi ship mission: And please, tell me that you can skip them or something and I've just missed when someone told me you could warp (Fast travel) to the place you wanna get. In case you can, sorry for not paying attention KH.

My second complaint is, it has very little variety in combat. Just X. And Square for Roll and Dodge sure. But I feel like I just spam X most of the time sadly. Maybe this gets better when time passes, I don't know.
And I also feel like it is very easy, so does the trophies seem to be (However I don't know because it's 6 in rarity and well, I don't know yet. maybe its very hard trophies) but I do play on Normal, not on proud, wich I will play on next. So yeah, I don't really know what I can say about that.
I think I have died two or three times and that was against the Cerberus when I was like Level 9. :P

My last 'con' of KH is the friendly AI. Sometimes it acts really stupid imo. I know you can set for example potion usage to 'Only in emergency' and such. But still, they straight out kill themself often.. They don't help much, ESPECIELLY NOT DONALD. I love Donald but its such a shame. He doesn't last very long very often and I do switch him out (Wich is sad because I grew up reading one Donald magazine each week so I pretty much love him) and yet I have to switch him out against Tarzan (Wich I don't really like that much)
Now im talking more about how weak Donald is... But that wasn't the point, sometimes the AI is stupid, when I say that potions should be used only in emergency, 7/10 times they use it in an non emergency wich has led me to stop giving them important stuff. Like giving goofy an Mega Potion. Was pretty stupid.. And when they get revived in, lets say an boss. For example - the Cerberus.
They pretty much stood there and just looked at the dogs attacks and waited too die. Didn't even attack, I counted one time Donald got revived. I think he lasted about seven seconds.

But overall (I know I only talked about the shit in this game) this game has an 8/10 for taking me back to the childhood. And I know Winnie The Pooh is in it. And I love Winnie the Pooh, enough to get this game a full point :D
I would love to talk about the positive stuff, but it will just be a bunch of ''My childhood'' and ''I LYK TIS GEM CUZ IT GUD'' or whatever you write on internet lol. Bye I guess? Thanks for reading my rather not so well written and boring thread dudes and dudettas! :)
Sorry for the bad written thread, I tried to listen to Kinda Funny ''Why We Quit'' episode, while texting my girlfriend, while writing this post, while thinking about playing an Binding of Isaac run before bed! :P

• Like 3

2 of your 3 complaints are fixed in KH2. The Gummi stuff was awful in KH1, but they improved it so much in KH2. They also added way more variety to the combat in KH2, tons of new combos and such.

Donald still dies all the time though... poor Donald.

No Donald deserves to die, he either doesn't heal me when I need it or he trolls me and heals me as I'm healing myself :shakefist: You are right about the improvements KH2 makes though dood

• Like 1

My second complaint is, it has very little variety in combat. Just X. And Square for Roll and Dodge sure. But I feel like I just spam X most of the time sadly. Maybe this gets better when time passes, I don't know.

I've only played KH1 and KH2 (original games on PS2) and this was my major complaint. Sure, the games can be a little cheesy but it's fun to go to the different worlds and encounter the different Disney characters as well as having Final Fantasy characters sprinkled around. I just needed COMBOS! :square: :square: :triangle: ~   :square:  :triangle::square: - :cross: :cross: :square: - That sort of thing is all I needed to really enjoy the games. I just got tired of pressing :cross: for everything. iirc, they even use :cross: for confirm so you end up pressing it alot even during conversations.

Edited by RedEye420

About your complains:

1: Gummies, you'll unlock warp don't worry, but you'll still need to do each world at least once to unlock them.

2: Combat variety, sure it feel limited at first, but wait until you learn new tricks, and on KH2 you have so much you'll be unstopable.

3: Yes the AI sucks, but they are more of assist characters then do it yourself ones, once they learn a few neat things they'll save your life over and over again. And leave Donald in, once he thoughens up a bit he's the difference between life and death on Proud mode.

About being easy, wait until you unlock the secret boss fights and you'll be glad the game wwould go back at how easy it was at first ;)

Anyway, anything you need help just ask away, I'll gladly help.

Edited by Devil_Spooky
  • Like 1

2 of your 3 complaints are fixed in KH2. The Gummi stuff was awful in KH1, but they improved it so much in KH2. They also added way more variety to the combat in KH2, tons of new combos and such.

Donald still dies all the time though... poor Donald.

Oh good to hear. And yes.. Poor Donald.. I like him so much it's a shame, it feels like I choose someone over my best friend when I switch him out with Tarzan or Aladdin :(

I've only played KH1 and KH2 (original games on PS2) and this was my major complaint. Sure, the games can be a little cheesy but it's fun to go to the different worlds and encounter the different Disney characters as well as having Final Fantasy characters sprinkled around. I just needed COMBOS! :square: :square: :triangle: ~   :square:  :triangle::square: - :cross: :cross: :square: - That sort of thing is all I needed to really enjoy the games. I just got tired of pressing :cross: for everything. iirc, they even use :cross: for confirm so you end up pressing it alot even during conversations.

Yeah. Its an big problem for me sadly... I enjoy the game, but at some parts there are ALOT of fights. For example at Traverse town you have to fight at every corner and after awhile I just started too skip the battles just because of the  :cross: spam.. And yes, i've skipped out on some like important stuff unfortunaly just as you spoke of  <_<

About your complains:

1: Gummies, you'll unlock warp don't worry, but you'll still need to do each world at least once to unlock them.

2: Combat variety, sure it feel limited at first, but wait until you learn new tricks, and on KH2 you have so much you'll be unstopable.

3: Yes the AI sucks, but they are more of assist characters then do it yourself ones, once they learn a few neat things they'll save your life over and over again. And leave Donald in, once he thoughens up a bit he's the difference between life and death on Proud mode.

About being easy, wait until you unlock the secret boss fights and you'll be glad the game wwould go back at how easy it was at first ;)

Anyway, anything you need help just ask away, I'll gladly help.

1. Okay good to hear that. Im getting pissed when I have to fly that Gummi..

2. Yeah. Right now it is an major problem sadly..

3.I know they're assist characters. But at parts they don't feel like any help at all. But yeah. Im in early game and I can only imagine what big of a part they will play later on :P

Didn't know bout' secret bosses, that's pretty cool! Looking forward to it :D

Thank you, thats really nice!  :yay:

Playing through proud mode, your AI dies almost instantly, so they're practically useless towards the beginning. It gets better as it goes but it'll get bad again at the end. However, oddly enough, they were semi helpful for the final boss fight.

They improve the AI in the second one, but still nothing spectacular. Though sora gets so OP towards the end you won't need em.

Note: Giving them Mega/Hi potions before boss battles make the fights easy. Remember that.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07

• 6 months later...

This is so true but I'm glad I experienced KH and KH 2 during my childhood. Sadly I never got to play Chains Of Memories or BBS. So it's a good experience on half of it. But when you play it as a kid you will instantly like it cause well that was what you played as a child and the games you play as a child will have more meaning than a game you played at age 19. But it does get better in KH2 and that has to be my favorite because of Roxas >:-D

you're not alone, Everybody who played the first KH have actually disliked the gummi ship parts.

and so do the A.I, back on the 6th gen when I was playing it on the ps2, collect a lot's of the in game currency and waste them on healing items, despite how I set the restrictions on Donald and Goofy at how and when they use the items, Donald is an mp potion junkie he waste them all on two normal battles while Goofy played the role of my Nanny or my Babysitter, each time I got hit or scratched I hear him " Yeah! " or " Sora! " then I got healed with the mega healing item that I gave him..

as for the hit X till winning, as much as I agree with you on that, but I actually never think of it as a simplicity. I always felt it's funny and entertaining to hear the clicks and clobber of the hits and watching the bits and stars flying off the screen while Donald and Goofy cheering or screaming, felt like watching a fight in a silly cartoon lol! I thought it was intentionally been made like that to give you that feel.

but as far as I know all these have been improved in KH2, but don't put your high hopes on the A.I, it's still kinda dump but it's better than KH1.

Edited by yellowwindow7