what went wrong

CrimsonWarrior90

resident evil 5 , resident evil 6 and resident evil opreation raccon city. they could be awesome. What ideas make it better?

Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City was all Slant Six's fault. I can't believe out of all the Devs, Capcom chose them. Yager would have done a much better job. Excited to see what they do with Dead Island 2.

Edit: Congrats on The Evil Within Plat. It's not an easy one.

Edited by skateak
  • Like 1

I pre-ordered Operation Raccoon City when It was coming out. I assumed I was going to kick ass. I assumed wrong. There really wasn't anything about it that made it memorable. I played through it one time and then traded it in.

as for Resident Evil 6, I bought it for 20 bucks at Wal Mart and then read reviews on it. I decided I didn't want it's trophy list dumped into my earned trophies, so I traded that in before I even opened it. It sounds like RE lost it's way in part 5 and on.

I kinda liked ORC, it was fun but i'm not sure what it was trying to be. RE5 was perfect, but it felt like RE4.5 so in RE6 they changed a lot of stuff to make the game different. (i suppose)

Who knows what are their plans for the next main RE, RE Revelations 2 is right in the corner and as we know it looks like it'll play and feel just like Revelations 1, but there has been some confirmed news about "RE7" where Capcom said a character who hasn't shown up in the series for a decade will return, so i'm guessing that's Rebecca since Claire and Barry are back in Revelations 2.

I don't think it's possible to please the fans at this point, a lot of people love the old RE games, but there's also the newcomers who prefer the new style. Whatever direction they take there will always be hate towards the series, so you absolutely cannot trust any reviews in regards to new RE games, it's all a matter of nostalgia and opinion. Same goes for any series that's still going after all these years, like Final Fantasy.

• Like 1

I honestly enjoyed RE5 and 6.  I've yet to play ORC but I wouldn't mind giving it a shot.

I'm still a fan of the classic games but when they took a turn into a Action shooter and what not, I didn't mind it that much.. then again, I love a lot of games anyway.  I gotta play Revelations before Revelations 2 comes out.

I enjoyed all of the RE games that I played, from 1 and 0, to 4,5,6 and ORC (Though I will say that one is my least favorite due to the odd controls). I also believe that a lot of hate that's towards the later games is straight from the nostalgia freaks who've played too much of the original games. Yes, the later ones are more action oriented, but while their horror levels have "gone down," their essence of survival still hasn't gone away (I'm looking at you ORC, still have yet to finish you on Professional)

I will say that there are problems with all of the games pretty much equally (with the exception to ORC in my opinion). However, due to the thread's title and description, I'm only going to limit to the games mentioned. First, for a game that's supposed to be survival horror, I do agree that RE5 and RE6 should have been scarier in the gameplay (although RE6 pulled it off in the story at one point). I would also say that in the case of RE6 to take out the easy difficulty AND take out the chapter select because the chapter select was what made RE6's Professional trophy insanely easy. Then there is the case in RE5, where they have it going chapter by chapter, though I at least wished that they would have you go back to certain areas later in the game like they did in RE4...at least for a little bit. Finally, if this is really supposed to be a survival game - and I hate myself for saying this because I have fun playing it like this - get rid of infinite ammo. If you want to have it as an unlockable, then have it unlocked when you do something major, like "clear the game on the hardest difficulty", not through a points system.

Overall, I still enjoy the later games, but I do agree that if it wants to fit with its target genre, some things need to change.

• Like 1

ORC is actually filled with amazing references to RE2/RE3 and that redeemed the fact that it's a somewhat generic TPS for me; it went from just a mediocre spin-off to a game created by people who were clearly big fans of the old Resident Evils (I still remember my amazement at Chief Irons's office, and how accurate it was) and wanted fans to notice the minute details.

I think some people are too harsh on RE5/RE6 sometimes as they're fantastic co-op games, but having gone back and replayed Resident Evil Remake with its HD release, I've realised how much I missed classic RE's gameplay... but, unfortunately it's gameplay that I don't think would sell well now, or at least, Resident Evil wouldn't remain a 'mainstream' title if it returned to that gameplay, considering it's so puzzle-based and slow.

Capcom did what any sensible developer would do - they evolved Resident Evil's gameplay as times went on and when gaming became more action-based and realistic.  If you compared CODE: Veronica (the last classic RE) to RE1, you'll notice the gameplay's somewhat more fast-paced, there's more action, and there's more frequent zombie killing.  Then they made the full-leap to modern TPS gameplay in RE4.

One thing Resident Evil does need to fix though - stop introducing random new characters that only last for one game and we never see them again!  Billy Coen, Sheva Alomar, Carlos Oliviera, etc. all great characters who only saw the light of day once in the franchise.  Instead Capcom introduce five hundred new characters in every Resident Evil (who are never anywhere near as memorable as the aforementioned) and are dropped in the next title.  For the next few REs as it tries to redeem its survival horror status, they should do the sensible thing (and do what the fans want); closure on existing characters.  They're doing this with RE: Revelations 2 with Claire and Barry.  Moira was an awesome touch too - never expected to see Barry's family brought up again, but seeing his daughter all grown up was really great.

Altogether though, Resident Evil is a legendary franchise.  No matter the quality of the gameplay, the stories are always top-notch (in my opinion at least).  Except Derek Simmons.  Wait, who was he again?   :P

Edited by Kashiyuka
  • Like 1

re5 to me me story did not make sense, to me it like uncharted mixed with re4,  and reorc is was slap to the face to re fans story made sense and yes it took place re2 and re3, but you weren;t never alone. Always with your team all time it like socom game not re game sorry. re6 the story was confusing broking melee . It was combing gears of war, call of duty, uncharted, and tiny better of horror. to me those games make to easy. Iwant a challege like revelations did it was like re4 but my ai wasn't with me all time, i was gald.

Edited by ESJS90

I liked RE5, but I hated RE6 and ORC. RE6 was way too much action movie, not enough horror. Leon's section was alright, Jake's was ehh, and Chris' was awful. ORC wasn't even an RE game, it was a generic TPS with the RE name.

RE Revelations is great. I don't see why they can't take that formula, and apply it to the main games. Revelations is the perfect mix of horror and modern feel. The main games have basically abandoned horror, and become action movies. I'm excited for Revelations 2, but I don't give a shit about the rumored RE7 (unless they show major changes, going back to their roots).

I can appreciate that everyone has different opinions, but RE5 and RE6 are great games.  I wouldn't change a thing about them.  Some of the most fun I've had gaming was playing those two games with friends.  All of this "if it weren't called Resident Evil" nonsense needs to stop.

Edited by Dreakon13

I kinda liked ORC, it was fun but i'm not sure what it was trying to be. RE5 was perfect, but it felt like RE4.5 so in RE6 they changed a lot of stuff to make the game different. (i suppose)

Who knows what are their plans for the next main RE, RE Revelations 2 is right in the corner and as we know it looks like it'll play and feel just like Revelations 1, but there has been some confirmed news about "RE7" where Capcom said a character who hasn't shown up in the series for a decade will return, so i'm guessing that's Rebecca since Claire and Barry are back in Revelations 2.

I don't think it's possible to please the fans at this point, a lot of people love the old RE games, but there's also the newcomers who prefer the new style. Whatever direction they take there will always be hate towards the series, so you absolutely cannot trust any reviews in regards to new RE games, it's all a matter of nostalgia and opinion. Same goes for any series that's still going after all these years, like Final Fantasy.

Pretty sure the "character who hasn't shown up in the series for a decade will return" tease was for Revelations 2 and they meant Barry.