[Suggestion] Site Awards

That could work as long as it doesn't encourage spamming. The reward for number of posts could easily be abused by members to get it by spamming nonsense.

This pretty much. All those awards for post count could create a lot of spam, which means more work for mods.

I think we are better off without site awards, like ant1th3s1s said this can cause people to form groups and stuff, we saw what happened in the trophy rarity thread, one group wanted it, other group disliked the new idea and the arguement went on and on. I don't want PSNP to be like .com or .org and I'm sure Sly doesnt want that to happen either. PSNP should be unique and maintain its clean and simple layout, and the awesome community :awesome:

• Like 1

No.

Site Awards create a class system that ultimately excludes and/or discourages new members from participating. You end with roving gangs supporting one prominent member or another as they fight for their faction to win certain awards (deserved or not) and more often than not, it ends in shit-fights.

Also, things like Member of the Month and Member of the Year are not only rigged by the aforementioned gangs, but those who win tend to take their Award and leave the community. They've achieved the status they desired and moved on. So the members who are of the most value leave a vacuum in their wake and the community dies a long, slow death. This is exactly what we saw at .com over the past 6 years and nothing has changed in the interim.

One of the attractions of PSNP is the sense of equality among the members. Awards divide communities rather than uniting them by turning the forums into dick-waving contests. Sly's approach here has always been "Keep it simple stupid". Sly created this site because he didn't like what was going on at .com. So don't hold your breath on Site Awards, I don't see them coming any time soon.

The one concession he's made in is enabling Like buttons. That gives us a sense that the contributions we make are appreciated, but it's not crammed down everyone's throat like it is on other sites.

Wholeheartedly agree.  Proof is there.  It's the unfortunate truth. 

No.

Site Awards create a class system that ultimately excludes and/or discourages new members from participating. You end with roving gangs supporting one prominent member or another as they fight for their faction to win certain awards (deserved or not) and more often than not, it ends in shit-fights.

Also, things like Member of the Month and Member of the Year are not only rigged by the aforementioned gangs, but those who win tend to take their Award and leave the community. They've achieved the status they desired and moved on. So the members who are of the most value leave a vacuum in their wake and the community dies a long, slow death. This is exactly what we saw at .com over the past 6 years and nothing has changed in the interim.

One of the attractions of PSNP is the sense of equality among the members. Awards divide communities rather than uniting them by turning the forums into dick-waving contests. Sly's approach here has always been "Keep it simple stupid". Sly created this site because he didn't like what was going on at .com. So don't hold your breath on Site Awards, I don't see them coming any time soon.

The one concession he's made in is enabling Like buttons. That gives us a sense that the contributions we make are appreciated, but it's not crammed down everyone's throat like it is on other sites.

I believe this guy has seen some dark.... dark days in the past.

Some rather indepth description here.

Depending on how the award system is ran, and who oversees and takes part as staff, this could work. It really boils down to the ones in charge of it, rather than the fact that its a part of the site. Based off of prior experiences is why I say this.

Despite the fact that it "could" work out, and that it makes sense since this IS a trophy hunting site, I really don't think it would be a great addition to PSNP. I simply feel as though it would matter to too few, and be considered too pointless to the majority. This is becuase this site is essencially broken up into two parts; the trophy leaderboards, and the social/game related forums.

It ultimately would'nt make a whole lot of sense at a later point down the road "after" the site awards are added, since the majority of this sites members/visitors are primarily interested in their stats and leaderboard standings. I believe it would be a fun addition, but would die off after a few months. With only a few "dedicated" members still holding on, but with too few to keep it going.

(Almost 9 a.m. and havn't slept yet. So i hope this post doesn't sound confusing.)

I really would like to see some kind of award or some kind of attention to people who write the guides, just as a little thanks. I'm sure it will motivate me to write some more guides and to port some more of the guides I've already written before. I'm improving the guides when I'm porting, so it takes a while to go through them. In fact, it takes a lot of effort to write the guides. -_-'

• Like 1

I really would like to see some kind of award or some kind of attention to people who write the guides, just as a little thanks. I'm sure it will motivate me to write some more guides and to port some more of the guides I've already written before. I'm improving the guides when I'm porting, so it takes a while to go through them. In fact, it takes a lot of effort to write the guides. -_-'

I guess you missed the Guide of the Year nomination eh? One guide got selected as GOTY (GT5 I think) and remaining two got second and third. They all got games / PSN vouchers based on their rank as prizes. Oh, and a shiny sticker on their guides too.

Edit : Here 'ya go -

https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/22006-guide-of-the-year-awards-nomination-thread/?hl=%20naugie

https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/21072-guide-of-the-year-awards-2014/?hl=%20naugie

Edited by IntenseFATE98

I guess you missed the Guide of the Year nomination eh? One guide got selected as GOTY (GT5 I think) and remaining two got second and third. They all got games / PSN vouchers based on their rank as prizes. Oh, and a shiny sticker on their guides too.

Edit : Here 'ya go -

https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/22006-guide-of-the-year-awards-nomination-thread/?hl=%20naugie

https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/21072-guide-of-the-year-awards-2014/?hl=%20naugie

Right, because that's not the elitist way to do it? =o

See what I meant with my earlier comment?

You've posted many earlier comments... I'm just going to assume you meant this one:

If we did this I wonder if I could get biggest Jackass of the year  :hmm:

Challenge accepted! lol (EDIT: I know you didn't mean this one, but I'm unsure which one you meant.)

The contests linked to in my last comment's quote only encourages guide for popular games. As if guides for obscure games, the games that has the least available information out there, would get any attention.

Edited by MMDE

The contests linked to in my last comment's quote only encourages guide for popular games. As if guides for obscure games, the games that has the least available information out there, would get any attention.

First, if you're going to troll, put some effort into it, eh? EDIT: This post, seeing as you didn't know.

Personally I wouldn't call SAO a Popular game, the same for Tales, Blur and Warframe - there may be a couple more obscure ones up there too.

The thing about obscure games however, is that there may not be a person willing to write a guide for one as they may feel it wouldn't be read or used, a problem I had when I recently played Frozen Synapse Prime as there was only a video guide for the PC version which had diferential stratergy set up used by the AI.

Another problem when it comes to guide of the year and obscure game guides is that people will often vote for something that helped a majority as opposed to a minority, which is quite understandable.

As for a reward for the people who write guides other than a chance to win GotY, I think the reward of knowing you're helping someone in a tough spot is good enough...

Edited by Lubed-up Lilly
  • Like 1

No.

I agree with almost all of this. Site awards just tend to change people. It becomes a game on who can have more and who is better cause they have more. People should do things for this site without expecting a prize in return. Site awards tends to give those with huge E-penis's and huge egos more to make their shit grow. It's just not worth it and seems pretty pointless. 

• Like 2

First, if you're going to troll, put some effort into it, eh? EDIT: This post, seeing as you didn't know.

Troll?

Personally I wouldn't call SAO a Popular game, the same for Tales, Blur and Warframe - there may be a couple more obscure ones up there too.

Those are rather popular/known games...

Another problem when it comes to guide of the year and obscure game guides is that people will often vote for something that helped a majority as opposed to a minority, which is quite understandable.

That's what I meant... It is also a popularity contest. I wasn't trolling when I said elitist, because what did I see people gave as reason for why there shouldn't be any awards? That new people would feel left outside, and then there's basically a popularity contents, even if it's supposed to be about the guides... yeah...

As for a reward for the people who write guides other than a chance to win GotY, I think the reward of knowing you're helping someone in a tough spot is good enough...

Sure, but it serves as an extra encouragement, it's also just to show respect to those who has actually put time into it. I'm not into all that anonymous hero or whatever. What is bad about people knowing you've done some guides etc?

Those are rather popular/known games..

While Tales IS a popular brand (at least Xillia with 30k owners)... can you really say the same about SAO?

HF has around 7000 owners here and >400000 overall. But that obviously takes Japanese market into consideration and people not affiliated to PSNP.

If we just take the PSNP statistics then... 7000 compared to these: https://psnprofiles.com/games?order=owners is a really low number.

So, I wouldn't take SAO for really popular game. (Plus, it's for Vita, casuals hate Vita =))

While Tales IS a popular brand (at least Xillia with 30k owners)... can you really say the same about SAO?

HF has around 7000 owners here and >400000 overall. But that obviously takes Japanese market into consideration and people not affiliated to PSNP.

If we just take the PSNP statistics then... 7000 compared to these: https://psnprofiles.com/games?order=owners is a really low number.

So, I wouldn't take SAO for really popular game. (Plus, it's for Vita, casuals hate Vita =))

Compare it with games of 1-10% of owners, yes, they are rather popular/known. lol

I'm going to agree on ant1th3s1s on basically everything he said. I remember being on .com before it Sly moved over and there was an obvious hierarchy. You could never be a part of that elite group but you could bask in their glory if you sucked up to them. You had to deal with their egos before dealing directly with them. If I didn't join the GFX community on that site, I probably would have left that site or just been the random poster who showed up every other week to make a post. Heck, even the GFX portion of that site had a it's own cliques that really divided that section of the forum. Almost every competition was to stroke people's egos and basically a popularity contest. I'm sure it's great being acknowledged for your work, but I don't think this site really needs that. Member of the Months and what not always become a competition. And they're always rigged with someone with a lot of influence getting people to vote for him. One of the main reasons I moved to PSNP when Sly first started here was basically what he offered compared to .com. A simple, drama free site where everyone is at the same level. And so far it really has not disappointed. The idea of site awards isn't bad, it's how it would actually play out that is bad. The only award I can think of that might be a legitimate award is a trophy guide award, if there isn't one already. That actually requires work, time, and effort to do.

Edited by cmgravekeeper
  • Like 1